Peter King: The 2014 NFL Draft - Sealed With a Kiss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Sigh...

So you're not only trying to read my mind, but you're accusing me of lying too. If that's how you want to post, I can't stop you, I guess.

EDIT: Also, just to add on to this, while I stand by the above and would care if hetero PDA was under constant display, it really wouldn't be an issue since no one would care outside of the TMZs of the world. Sam is going to be under constant scrutiny with the media all but begging to get another shot like that.

I dunno, did you ever complain about PDA's before the gay PDA? It always seems like PDA's become a problem when a gay couple dares display one. I remember Tyrann Mathieu kissing his woman last year during the draft and I and nobody could care less.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I dunno, did you ever complain about PDA's before the gay PDA?
I usually see them as inappropriate outside of special circumstances (like getting drafted).

BTW, not to ruin your little campaign to paint me as phobic because I disagree with you, but the Rams had similar concerns:

“Obviously there will be more (media) people here than normal,” Rams general manager Les Snead said. “We’ll be prepared for that. But after all the rookie draft picks meet the press, that will be it. We’ll get back to acting normal. After (Tuesday), you do nothing different. We’ve already talked to Michael and his people and told him he’s here to play football. If the major networks, Good Morning America, the Today Show or CNN come calling, guess what? You’re not doing that.

“We told him whether you show up for those shows or not, they can do all those shows without you and they will,” said Snead. “They’re going to chat about you and this issue all day long until there’s another story to talk about. But the show goes on without you from now on. There will be some logistical issues we’ll work out for (Tuesday). But our mantra’s been, ‘Whatever you do from here on out, let’s be normal.”

The Rams aren’t expecting the world to cooperate with their plans. But they do expect Sam to. “Whatever is out of the realm of what a seventh-round pick does,” said Snead, “we made it clear: Don’t do it.”
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_92a5b6a1-7015-5605-a103-7df83194bd5f.html

And this quote soothes exactly the worry I had with this post. Sam needs to worry about the media's desire to make him a gay man who happens to play football rather than a football player who happens to be gay. That's all I was ever saying.

Now, should you wish to discuss football from here on in, I'm all ears. But keep making it about me, and I'll just put you on ignore, and don't think you'll be long for this board anyway.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
I usually see them as inappropriate outside of special circumstances (like getting drafted).

Sam needs to worry about the media's desire to make him a gay man who happens to play football rather than a football player who happens to be gay. That's all I was ever saying.

I'm not painting you as a "homophobe", I'm just not understanding concern about such a distinction. Should Rosa Parks have made it about a bus seat rather than her race? A big part of coming out as gay is so you can live openly and love whom you want. If the Rams or anyone think they can shove him back in the closet because they're uncomfortable with him kissing his lover then they should have never drafted him.

I'm NOT calling you or anyone homophobic. I'm just suggesting it comes with the territory of drafting the first openly gay player.

wrstdude

Rookie
King is worse than Bernie to the nth power.

Pre-draft he was tweeting about Clowney taking off plays & other faults. I tweeted @ him asking how much tape he'd watched. His reply? Zero.

He hadn't watched a damn thing. Unfollowed immediately. What a pathetic excuse for a writer. The poster child of having an opinion just to have one.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm not painting you as a "homophobe", I'm just not understanding concern about such a distinction. Should Rosa Parks have made it about a bus seat rather than her race? A big part of coming out as gay is so you can live openly and love whom you want. If the Rams or anyone think they can shove him back in the closet because they're uncomfortable with him kissing his lover then they should have never drafted him.

I'm NOT calling you or anyone homophobic. I'm just suggesting it comes with the territory of drafting the first openly gay player.
I'm sorry, but you are doing your best to make the discussion about me. Count how many times you used the word "you" in your messages. *I* am not the issue.

The issue is whether Sam wants to be a gay person who happens to play football, or a football player who happens to be gay. I want the latter. From what I quoted, the Rams do too. That does not equate to the Rams "forcing him back in the closet". That just means they're not okay with the media making it all about Sam's orientation every chance they get and Sam helping them in that regard.

You don't seem to feel that way, and the discussion is on the verge of crossing over into politics, especially if I debate the idea that Sam being gay is supposedly just as inborn as Parks being black. It's probably best for us just to put each other on ignore at this point.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Perhaps here's a way to put it all into context. What if the first question Sam Bradford had to answer from the media was about him being Heterosexual? Or, what if the most frequent question Quinn received was about him being Black? At some point it gets ridiculous. We are what we are. Who gives a shit. I'm here to watch and talk Rams football, not someone's individual private preferences or genetics.

The big societal progression is from "it being a big deal" to "it being a non-issue". When the media can talk to Michael Sam about his play on the field without referencing his sexual orientation, then we've probably finally progressed past this hurdle. I think the Rams are trying to say that this should be a non-issue now, so let's move on and focus on what were all here to focus on.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
You don't seem to feel that way, and the discussion is on the verge of crossing over into politics, especially if I debate the idea that Sam being gay is supposedly just as inborn as Parks being black. It's probably best for us just to put each other on ignore at this point.

From my experience, when someone argues that people are not born gay, they're trying to assign "blame" for them being gay which suggests some form of (perhaps religious) condemnation of homosexuality. After all, you can hardly blame gay people for it, if they're not responsible for it. And if they're not responsible for it then they should not go to hell or be held accountable for it. But this logic threatens to breakdown the Bible's supposed condemnation of it.

And, if you want we can continue this discussion in off-topic. Although it's not off-topic at all! lol Michael Sam is gay and these discussions will happen from time to time.

PhxRam

Sigh...

So you're not only trying to read my mind, but you're accusing me of lying too. If that's how you want to post, I can't stop you, I guess.

EDIT: Also, just to add on to this, while I stand by the above and would care if hetero PDA was under constant display, it really wouldn't be an issue since no one would care outside of the TMZs of the world. Sam is going to be under constant scrutiny with the media all but begging to get another shot like that.

you are reading into this a little bit deeper then you need to, you think?