Peter King: "Snead Shouldn't be this Smart."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Peter King - Sports Illustrated
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z1tX5sOUWs

[wrapimg=left]http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2012/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb/janoris-jenkins1.jpg[/wrapimg]Someone was going to take a chance on Janoris Jenkins. Now you'll know why the Rams were that someone.

Les Snead shouldn't be this smart as a first-year GM.

"Draft picks are like stocks,'' Snead said after midnight Friday. "But our draft, as a whole, is sort of like a mutual fund.''

I'll translate: Let's say you have seven picks in a seven-round draft, and you're coming off a 2-14 season, and you've got needs out the wazoo. The guys you pick in the first two or three rounds are guys you have confidence that as people and players will be good long-term investments. But if you have extra picks -- the Rams had four in the top 50 -- you can afford to try to hit a home run. If you fail, it's bad -- Pacman bad. If you succeed, it's great.

The Rams went 2-14 and changed coaches, and changed general managers. When coach Jim Fisher and Snead began scouting the roster, they saw more holes than they'd have liked -- on the defensive line, at corner, at receiver, on the offensive line and at running back. But they were able, through trades, to pick up two extra second-round picks this year and extra first-round picks in 2013 and '14. So they went about their reconstruction knowing they had a luxury others teams didn't have. With a league-high four picks in the top 45 (later, 50 when they traded down at 45 on day two of the draft), they figured they could afford to take a shot on a boom-or-bust pick.

Snead was working for the Falcons last fall when he began looking into Janoris Jenkins. The Falcons wouldn't have a first-round pick in 2012 because they used it to help acquire Julio Jones last year. So he went to Division II North Alabama, where one of the best cornerbacks in the country was playing in exile from the University of Florida because of his marijuana record in Gainesville. "I go out to watch practice one day, and there's Janoris, playing gunner on special teams,'' said Snead. "And loving it -- playing as hard as he can, competing. That's the thing about this kid: He loves football. With everything that's gone in his life, he loves football. It's just all the other things he's had to get right.''

The Rams had the 31st-rated run defense in football last year, and picked a 322-pound tackle, Michael Brockers, to help fix that in the first round. They have no big receiver -- really, no quality receiver to stretch any defense -- and so picked 6-4 Brian Quick at the top of the second round to help Sam Bradford get the ball downfield. Picking at 39, they took a shot on the problem-riddled Jenkins, and at 65, high in the third round, added Trumaine Johnson, a 6-2 corner from Montana.

"But without all the extra picks, obviously, it would have been tougher to take a chance on Janoris,'' Snead said.

The Rams have put in some safeguards and checks for Jenkins. Snead, or someone with the organization, will call him or talk to him every day about his life, which is a mess. He's had four children with three different women, and he'll have to use much of his first contract to straighten out child support and related family care things. Jenkins knows he'll be monitored by the man who holds the cornerback's life in his hands. "I look the kid in the eye and said, 'It's you and me,' '' Snead said.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Re: Peter King: "Snead Shouldn't be this Smart."

Finally, a FO office we can be proud of. I just loved everything about this draft. All the naysayers will be proven wrong.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Re: Peter King:

interference said:
Finally, a FO office we can be proud of. I just loved everything about this draft. All the naysayers will be proven wrong.

It's all in the past now, but I still don't think Devaney's drafts were bad. All his "big" players got injured, or in the case of Kendricks, got ignored in the gameplan by the coaches.

2009:
Smith- Severe concussions.
Laurinaitis- Stud
Fletcher- ACL tears...twice now. Otherwise solid player.
Scott- Depth guy, nothing special.
Foster- A nobody
Null- Null and void, 6th round pick.
Ogbonnya- Bust, but 7th round pick.

2010:
Bradford- Looks like a stud, but injured year 2.
Saffold- Same as Bradford.
Murphy- Hurt year 2.
Gilyard- Bust, but 4th round...not like an epic 1st round failure.
Big Mike- Hurt alot, but looks like a real good player.
Onobun- Boom or bust to begin with.
Johnson/Hull/Sims- Good depth guys.
Selvie- Bust, but 7th round pick.

2011:
Quinn- Looks like a good player.
Kendricks- I like him, but he was used wrongly and ignored too much. Then he got hurt. Preseason or not, he did show what he can do.
Pettis- I'm not to excited about him, but he's a big guy. Didn't show anything spectacular, tho.
Salas- Here's a good YAC guy, but got hurt.
Hines/Baker/Nelson/Williams- All late round picks, not that big a deal.

6 early round players hurt @ least a good chunk of 1 year. The turnover rate for 5-7th round picks is high, so I'm not gonna hold that against the team. I'd say Gilyard is the 1 true "bust."