Peter King on Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I dont like this:

SI's Peter King believes the Rams would "presumably" either trade or release Steven Jackson if they selected Alabama RB Trent Richardson with the No. 6 pick.

King rightly assumes the Rams would view the soon-to-be 29-year-old Jackson's $7 million salary as prohibitive if they used their first-round pick on a runner. However, King also believes the Rams would lean toward Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon if both he and Richardson were still on the board, and that Richardson is unlikely to make it past both Cleveland at No. 4 and Tampa Bay at No. 5. Unless the Rams trade up, the odds are low S-Jax will be wearing a different uniform come Week 1.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... index.html

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Rams 2012 NFL Draft

libertadrocks said:
I dont like this:

SI's Peter King believes the Rams would "presumably" either trade or release Steven Jackson if they selected Alabama RB Trent Richardson with the No. 6 pick.

King rightly assumes the Rams would view the soon-to-be 29-year-old Jackson's $7 million salary as prohibitive if they used their first-round pick on a runner. However, King also believes the Rams would lean toward Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon if both he and Richardson were still on the board, and that Richardson is unlikely to make it past both Cleveland at No. 4 and Tampa Bay at No. 5. Unless the Rams trade up, the odds are low S-Jax will be wearing a different uniform come Week 1.
That would blow for us fans, but we also have to take into account that Fisher has no ties to Jackson. Though, he should be EXTREMELY cognizant of his worth to not only the locker room, but also to the fans of this team. That wouldn't be the foot he should be planning to get off on. Cuz it ain't the right one.

I think Peter needs to slow his roll.

superfan24

Starter

libertadrocks said:
I dont like this:

Holy shit neither do I. That is the worst thing that could happen for the rams. I can't express how pissed I would be if this were to happen....

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

superfan24 said:
libertadrocks said:
I dont like this:

Holy shit neither do I. That is the worst thing that could happen for the rams. I can't express how pissed I would be if this were to happen....
Would you be pissed if we were winning more?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah that would be like releasing Isaac Bruce :shock:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
SJ has been the leader of our offense. He has been one of the only bright spot for fans in the past several years. I would be sick if we cut him just to save a few bucks.

Not to mention the lack luster success first round RBs have had, especially in their rookie year. Look at the RBs drafted in the first round over the past 3 years CJ Spiller, Mark Ingram, Ryan Mathews, Javid Best, and Knowshon Moreno. None of those guys have proven they're capable to carry an offense like SJ. TRich is a better prospect then any of those guys but I dont like the trend.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Faulk and Jackson were on the same Ram roster ... no reason Jackson and Richardson can't do the same thing.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Thordaddy said:
Yeah that would be like releasing Isaac Bruce :shock:
or Kurt Warner :lmao:

In all seriousness, and from a purely business perspective, I wonder what the Rams could "get" for SJ in a trade? I know, I know, the fan in me hates the idea. But just curious.

Lesson

Oh, really?
If SJ were released, I'd be a bit upset. Not only has the man been a leader for the organization on and off the field, he has given it his all on the field. He plays hard every Sunday, regardless of the team's record. He hasn't been part of a team that has finished over .500 yet he doesn't complain about the organization.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
There's no way SJack can just get released b/c of Richardson. Essentially be wasting the pick. Basically it would be the same team w/ a rookie RB w/ dreads.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Angry Ram said:
There's no way SJack can just get released b/c of Richardson. Essentially be wasting the pick. Basically it would be the same team w/ a rookie RB w/ dreads.
This^^^

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Don't see the point, would still have to find a 1A back and a 3rd down back for back ups.

Restructure his contract would be most likely if anything. But I still doubt even that.

But nothing in the NFL suprises me anymore. If they get T=Rich and they need cap room to fill holes or trade for a player then I can see it happening.

Whatever happens I do feel this could be his last season with the Rams.

superfan24

Starter

Barrison6 said:
superfan24 said:
libertadrocks said:
I dont like this:

Holy shyte neither do I. That is the worst thing that could happen for the rams. I can't express how pissed I would be if this were to happen....
Would you be pissed if we were winning more?

Huh? I don't know where you get that from saying I would not be happy if the Rams released my favorite player who has been a team leader and the most driven player on this team despite terrible seasons. Are you suggesting that SJ is the reason the Rams have had dismal records?
Don't understand your question.

superfan24

Starter
Yep knew everyone here would have basically the same response.
Not to mention the huge drop off from offense on the field, it would be a huge PR disaster for the new Rams regime. I know Demoff would express this to Snead and co. so I'm not too concerned at this point.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just don't see it making any sense. Grooming TR to take over? Sure. Making this move so you essentially have to bring in yet another unproven? Don't see it. Just more crap to write when nothing is really going on. Besides - SJ's character seems to fit lock step with the type of RB that Fisher loves.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd roll with both of them this year. Next year...well, that's next year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If the Rams add Richardson it is part of a succession plan, no doubt. But I think SJ stands a very good chance to play out his contract in St. Louis.

SJ and Richardson; I think Fisher likes the sound of that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
I'd roll with both of them this year. Next year...well, that's next year.

As much as I like SJ and my son goes to OSU, the reality is that if we need to move on, we need to move on. So I'd agree with you in principle. The thing I look at though is if SJ has a really good year playing in a system that is possibly a dream fit for the guy, does he have a year that says "fuck the $7 mil price tag"? AND if you have the heir apparent, does that not make that heir even better because he gets to learn and grow for maybe 2 years with lower tread wear while SJ continues to do what SJ does. Then you resign SJ to a contract that allows him to finish out in the Lou - something I think he would want to do in this day and age.

Voila - I give you a perfect scenario. A huge PR coup. A great RB getting to play his entire career for one team - when does THAT happen anymore? Keep a very good team guy to mentor your new bruising back. Show you are an organization with class and an appreciation for your true warriors. Use the fact that Fisher is a life long Rams fan to build a traditional base that will seem like it has been there for years. And rebuild what many of us old timers saw as a slight to the players who gave their all for the horns.

KD and Stan.... are you out there? Great opportunity here.... hint hint. :7up: Let's keep our dreaded warrior.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I just don't see it. I can definitely see the Rams taking TR, but I don't see them cutting SJax. If the Rams take TR, then I think SJax will be primary back for one more year and then TR takes over. After that he will be the primary back with S Jax carrying the load until SJax retires. Steven Jackson is still the leader of this team. I know Fisher doesn't have any ties to him, but I don't believe they would cut/trade him because he means a lot to the players here.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Frankly I don't see any of it and don't think we get a shot at TR unless we trade up to get him.

Angry is right.
We are not in danger of being unable to draft a first rate RB when needed, we have two firsts next year. TR is good but he didn't invent the game.

I have vacillated on this subject but am pretty set now ,we have to rank our needs and the very bottom is RB just BELOW QB,yeah that's right, it'd make more sense to draft a QB, that's how I've come to see this.

IMO the Bronco way is how to do this ,first rate line .....anyone can run behind it ,crappy line no-one can.