Peter King on 101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
101.jpg

[mp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2011/12/12292011153229.mp3[/mp3]

NOTES:

(how are you?)
Good.

(What makes you think this job is the best available job this off-season?)
I don't think that. It is. The answer is 3-fold.

Bradford is going through a bad year. He's not a bad player. They have the QB.

They're going to have a high pick (1 or 2), so they can ransom off that pick.

They have so much cap room in a society where cap room is going to be really tight. They're going to be one of the few teams where good players can get in here (Arian Foster? Calais Campbell?). For the next few years, they're going to be in very good shape.

(Who would be the right guy for this perfect situation?)
I wouldn't pick Jon Gruden. I think he wants to stay in television, and if you have to fight to convince someone to leave what they're doing to do what you want them to do, then that's not a good situation. I think Fisher would be VERY interested in this job if Spagnuolo is let go. Fisher realizes how important it is to have a quarterback to win with. He wants to come back to coach, and he wants to win again. I would want to hire a guy after scratching every itch that I have. But again, of the veteran guys who are out there, I think Fisher is the guy who is the hungriest.

(have you heard anything about Spags? do you think he could/should survive?)
I definitely think there's a chance he *could* survive, but I don't think he will. The Rams would probably have to extend his contract with him entering the last year of his contract, and if you don't do that, then he enters the year as a lame duck. But you're right. Kroenke is a mystery man. He doesn't have a lot of people in the league who he talks to or confers with. It would be a surprise if he was brought back though.

(what have you heard about value of the pick?)
Whoever has the first pick in the draft, if they want to move it, the absolute minimum price would be three 1st round picks. There aren't a lot of teams who would be in position to do that. The value of a 27th overall isn't that high, but if you have a top 8 pick, then it would be THAT pick, and at least two other first rounders. Cleveland is the perfect team to trade with because they've got the two first rounders. If you could tell any thinking person. Any rational person. That you could take over a job with a ton of cap room, Sam Bradford, and the ability to turn the first pick of this draft into three first rounders, how is that not the best job in the NFL?

(on Andrew Luck)
I don't think he disappoints. I agree with the people who say he doesn't have a howitzer for an arm, but he has a decent arm. Average/above average. I think he's going to do well and not be a tremendous risk.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Wow...definitive answer. Minimum (3) 1st rounders, I'm sold.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:

Thats crazy, but if your a team like Miami, or Cleveland, how can you not want to do everything possible to get the best QB in this draft? In the AFC East, Tom Brady isnt getting any younger, Bills are still a mess at QB, Sanchez has major question marks moving forward, the Dolphins will want to take advantage of this, especially from a long-term perspective. In the AFC North, you have a hot and cold Joe Flacco in Baltimore, reliable Big Ben, and now Andy Dalton to deal with.

Im also wondering if theres a chance that RG III will return to Baylor and how this impacts the draft. Most people still think he will enter the draft but after seeing Barkley, Bradford, and Luck return to school when people still considered them high picks I wouldnt be suprised if RG III decides to do the same.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:

Yeah I'm sold too.

But this is what bothers me, the Putrid Browns have 2 1st this year, one of them a high pick. That would be the best deal. If it was with a team drafting in the middle of the 1st this year and maybe in the low 20's in 13 and 14 would that to you still be a great deal?

I might prefer a couple 1st but take a 2 and 3 this year and a little something something next year.

Not complaining, just want the team to get better as fast as it can.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:

Yeah I'm sold too.

But this is what bothers me, the Putrid Browns have 2 1st this year, one of them a high pick. That would be the best deal. If it was with a team drafting in the middle of the 1st this year and maybe in the low 20's in 13 and 14 would that to you still be a great deal?

I might prefer a couple 1st but take a 2 and 3 this year and a little something something next year.

Not complaining, just want the team to get better as fast as it can.

No doubt that they would be our best trade partner. The only other teams that have an extra 1st are NE and Cincy. I also dont see Atlanta doing much in the playoffs, they could be a one-and-done, so that other 1st round pick could be in the low 20's.

With other teams they would probably have to give up more future picks. The Browns have more picks we can use right away.