Peter King > MONDAY MORNING QB (NFC West)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Peter King
<a class="postlink" href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130318/jake-long-nfc-west-nfl-free-agency-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... &eref=sihp</a>

130307163902-7-jake-long-single-image-cut.jpg

PHOENIX -- Lord, the NFC West is going to be a bear of a division in 2013.

That was my first thought as Sunday night turned into Monday morning here at the NFL Meetings, after Jake Long -- 27 years old, beat up the last two years, but two years removed from being the game's premier left tackle -- agreed to a four-year contract to be the Rams' left tackle.

It's a signing fraught with uncertainty. We -- most of us in the media, and fans, and teams -- overrate free agency as a tool to improve teams. How many times (including recently, in 2009) has Washington won free agency, then stunk the joint up when real football began? We yell at the Giants, Steelers and Packers for doing nothing in the free market except bleed players -- more about that in my Tuesday column, with some startlingly honest admissions from Packers GM Ted Thompson -- but tell me: How can you be critical of Thompson or Jerry Reese of the Giants or Kevin Colbert of the Steelers right now? They've combined to win four of the last six Super Bowls. Green Bay is 36 games over .500 in the last six regular seasons, Pittsburgh 30 over, and the Giants 20 over. But more about The Week of the GM tomorrow.

Back to the (sometimes false) hope of free agency. For a franchise that had been trying to compete with one competent tackle, Rodger Saffold, and a Ringling Brothers arrangement on the other side, the Rams getting Long is a big add. Very big. (And I'm told he passed his physical on Wednesday with ease after two battered seasons in Miami.)

Miami was in on Long aggressively, and one Dolphins official Sunday seemed confident Long would return for a sixth year. But no. And the Rams Sunday night were giving the credit for the migration to coach Jeff Fisher. "One of our players texted Jake and told him he'd retire if he had to play for any other coach besides Jeff,'' Rams GM Les Snead texted me late Sunday night. "Jeff gets veterans to Sunday ready to play ... Gets them to December ready to play ... So yes, he knows how to keep vets fresh physically, mentally and spiritually as good as anyone in the NFL."

There's an arms race in this division, with the Cardinals the only team looking spartan right now. Check out what each team has done since season's end:

Arizona: Hired a new coach, Bruce Arians, who will implement a deep passing game, and a GM, Steve Keim, unafraid of cutting ties with the past (Adrian Wilson, Kevin Kolb, Kerry Rhodes). Josh Cribbs, the Cleveland special-teams ace, was in town Sunday night, hoping to be the 10th middle-class free agent signed by the team this offseason. It'll be tough, though, putting quarterback marginalia (Drew Stanton, maybe Brian Hoyer or Ryan Lindley or John Skelton) up against the arms and strong pass rushes of the NFC West.

St. Louis: Lost three valuable offensive pieces (Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson) who won't be easily replaced. They'll ask Saffold to move to the right side, which he hasn't played. But the Rams desperately needed a top tackle, and signing Long is the best decision they could make, risky though it is. The Rams are the only team with three picks in the top 50 of the draft (16, 22, 46), and they'll need a receiver upgrade after losing two in the first five days of free agency. Tight end signee Jared Cook is an expensive question mark, though Fisher had him in Tennessee and loves him.

San Francisco: Still haven't fixed the secondary, losing hard-hitting safety Dashon Goldson and not adding any corners. That's an absolute must. But they'll have more draft choices in 2013 than any other team -- 15 -- and GM Trent Baalke, despite what the Niners say publicly, has to be thinking about what it would take to acquire Darrelle Revis, with extra picks in the second, third and fourth rounds as chips. Whatever, San Francisco has to be markedly better in the back of the defense to have a chance to win the Super Bowl in 2014. Clutch physical receiver Anquan Boldin will help Colin Kaepernick make plays downfield.

Seattle: "There is no way I thought, a week and a half ago, that we'd have Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril or Michael Bennett on our team this year,'' GM John Schneider told me here Saturday. "Any of them. Things just fell right for us." At midseason last year, Harvin was on pace for a 120-catch season, then hurt his ankle. Avril, on the outside, and Bennett, inside, should give the Seattle defense high-quality depth. Avril and Bennett came for a combined three years and $20 million, a pittance compared to what the market looked like it would yield early last week. The addition of Harvin will give Russell Wilson two receivers, Sidney Rice and Harvin, who can beat defenders deep.

I've mentioned this before, but don't go handing the division to the Niners or Seahawks yet. St. Louis was 4-1-1 in the division last year. What if the Rams can keep Sam Bradford (sacked 71 times in his last 26 games) significantly cleaner? And what if Arians can invent a quarterback? That's a huge what-if, and it's doubtful, but this is March. We major in what-ifs in March.

MORE: <a class="postlink" href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130318/jake-long-nfc-west-nfl-free-agency-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... &eref=sihp</a>

nighttrain

Legend
I've mentioned this before, but don't go handing the division to the Niners or Seahawks yet. St. Louis was 4-1-1 in the division last year. What if the Rams can keep Sam Bradford (sacked 71 times in his last 26 games) significantly cleaner?

Oh Yeeaaahhhhhh...

SB has to be one happy QB right now!
train

Playmaker

Odds are either Seattle or San Francisco will not be as good as last season. The NFC West has the AFC South and NFC South on their schedule this year. I fully expect New Orleans to get back to respectability now that Asshole Face will be back on the sidelines. And Tampa Bay and Carolina will fight for playoff spots. Of course there is Atlanta. And in the AFC South the Colts won 11 games last season and are much improved this offseason. And Houston will be healthy and has a very good team.

San Francisco has a first place schedule so they will have to play Washington and Green Bay.

Seattle with a second place schedule has Dallas and Minnesota.

Plus every NFL Coach and DC will have a chance to watch all of Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick's snaps to find weakness' in their games.

If you were to ask me which team could fall back a little I'd say San Francisco. They lost two starters on their D-Line (DE Ricky Jean Francois and NT Isaac Sopoaga) and Pro Bowl FS Dashon Goldson. Their replacements? Craig Dahl and Glenn Dorsey. And losing TE Delanie Walker is a huge blow to the 49ers. He was "Mr. Do-It-All" and him leaving leaves a big void in their offense and special teams. Adding Anquan Boldin doesn't scare me much. Him and Crabtree are too much alike. Neither will stretch the field and will be underneath WR's. Plus Frank Gore is slowing down at RB and after a Triceps injury late in the season, the 34 year old Justin Smith never looked the same. And when he was out and injured, teams lit up the 49ers Defense.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
nighttrain said:
I've mentioned this before, but don't go handing the division to the Niners or Seahawks yet. St. Louis was 4-1-1 in the division last year. What if the Rams can keep Sam Bradford (sacked 71 times in his last 26 games) significantly cleaner?

Oh Yeeaaahhhhhh...

SB has to be one happy QB right now!
train
Perhaps, I just hope that Saffold is OK with it...... :?!:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Odds are either Seattle or San Francisco will not be as good as last season.

I wish that I shared your optimism, unfortunatley I don't. This is going to be a damn tough division which likely will result in teams splitting the results between them (except possibly against Arizona). Hopefully, games outside the division will fall our way.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ramsince62 said:
Odds are either Seattle or San Francisco will not be as good as last season.

I wish that I shared your optimism, unfortunatley I don't. This is going to be a damn tough division which likely will result in teams splitting the results between them (except possibly against Arizona). Hopefully, games outside the division will fall our way.

Seattle could slide. I think Wilson (and Kaeperdick for that matter) could experience that sophmore slump amid more video of their play.

The 49'ers have too many draft picks to tank. The only way I see them sliding is an injury to Kaeperdick.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
News Bot said:
"One of our players texted Jake and told him he'd retire if he had to play for any other coach besides Jeff,'' Rams GM Les Snead texted me late Sunday night. "Jeff gets veterans to Sunday ready to play ... Gets them to December ready to play ... So yes, he knows how to keep vets fresh physically, mentally and spiritually as good as anyone in the NFL."

I wonder who said that.

There aren't too many veterans at the retirement age on the roster. Had to be Cortland Finnegan, who's still only 29. Could have been Dahl(31) or Wells(32) too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
libertadrocks said:
News Bot said:
"One of our players texted Jake and told him he'd retire if he had to play for any other coach besides Jeff,'' Rams GM Les Snead texted me late Sunday night. "Jeff gets veterans to Sunday ready to play ... Gets them to December ready to play ... So yes, he knows how to keep vets fresh physically, mentally and spiritually as good as anyone in the NFL."

I wonder who said that.

There aren't too many veterans at the retirement age on the roster. Had to be Cortland Finnegan, who's still only 29. Could have been Dahl(31) or Wells(32) too.

I'm guessing Finnegan. I wouldn't put it past Chris Long either.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
CGI_Ram said:
I'm guessing Finnegan. I wouldn't put it past Chris Long either.

Finnegan no doubt because he played for Fisher with the exception of one year and was going anywhere Fisher decided to coach. Chris has only played for Fisher one year so how could Jake Long really believe that text by Chris Long?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Playmaker said:
Odds are either Seattle or San Francisco will not be as good as last season. The NFC West has the AFC South and NFC South on their schedule this year. I fully expect New Orleans to get back to respectability now that Asshole Face will be back on the sidelines. And Tampa Bay and Carolina will fight for playoff spots. Of course there is Atlanta. And in the AFC South the Colts won 11 games last season and are much improved this offseason. And Houston will be healthy and has a very good team.

San Francisco has a first place schedule so they will have to play Washington and Green Bay.

Seattle with a second place schedule has Dallas and Minnesota.

Plus every NFL Coach and DC will have a chance to watch all of Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick's snaps to find weakness' in their games.

If you were to ask me which team could fall back a little I'd say San Francisco. They lost two starters on their D-Line (DE Ricky Jean Francois and NT Isaac Sopoaga) and Pro Bowl FS Dashon Goldson. Their replacements? Craig Dahl and Glenn Dorsey. And losing TE Delanie Walker is a huge blow to the 49ers. He was "Mr. Do-It-All" and him leaving leaves a big void in their offense and special teams. Adding Anquan Boldin doesn't scare me much. Him and Crabtree are too much alike. Neither will stretch the field and will be underneath WR's. Plus Frank Gore is slowing down at RB and after a Triceps injury late in the season, the 34 year old Justin Smith never looked the same. And when he was out and injured, teams lit up the 49ers Defense.

Trouble is, the Rams have the toughest schedule in the NFC west.
Actually, we have the third most difficult schedule in the NFL. This is something like three or four years in a row where we have had a top five most difficult schedule in the NFL going into the next year. Obviously there are some variables - when measuring teams within the same division.

But that whole first place schedule thing, by and large, is a myth. That only effects one or two games or so a year.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theredzone.org/Features/NFLStrengthofSchedule.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theredzone.org/Features/NFLS ... edule.aspx</a>