Peter King: MMQB - 9/15/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
browns-fans.jpg

David Richard/AP

Should We Still Like Football?
Sunday's games were a welcome respite for a league that experienced the ugliest week in its 95-year history. But could football push aside the feelings of those questioning their love of the sport? An exciting Week 2 did its best to try
By Peter King

So, should we still like football? I’ve asked myself that a few times over the past week. I think we all have. And what I’ve come to think is this: It’s a personal decision. I can’t tell you to feel better about the gutter the NFL has fallen into, or to spend your money on one more NFL jersey or hat or Red Zone channel. It has to be your decision.

If you’re revolted by Ray Rice cold-cocking his fiancée or Adrian Peterson taking a tree branch to his 4-year-old to discipline the kid or the graphic testimony in the disturbing Greg Hardy trial, and you just can’t watch one more game, don’t. It’s your call. No one can make it for you.

If you think the NFL is so full of greed and Roger Goodell so consumed with the bottom line that human decency is way down the league’s list of priorities, walk away. An ESPN poll said a majority of respondents don’t trust Goodell. If you’re with them, and you can’t enjoy the game because of a commissioner you don’t like, don’t give his league your attention or your money anymore. It’s your call. No one can make it for you.

If you think the NFL is just too dangerous, and you read in The New York Times last week that the league, by its own admission, acknowledged that one in three former players will have some sort of cognitive problem long before an average person in the general population would, stop watching. It’s your call. No one can make it for you.

No one will blame you for walking away. This past week has been the most ceaselessly miserable one I’ve see in my 31 seasons covering the league. I am disturbed for some of those reasons, particularly the greed I see. And this one as well: As I watched the games Sunday in my viewing-room perch at NBC, I noted the brutality of the game. In a 15-minute span in the first quarter of the early games, I saw:

rg3.jpg

Robert Griffin III’s season is in jeopardy after he dislocated his ankle on Sunday. (Nick Wass/AP)

1:21 p.m. ET:
Cincinnati wideout A.J. Green leave Falcons-Bengals with a foot injury. He didn’t return.

1:22 p.m.: Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III leave the game against Jacksonville with a dislocated ankle. Didn’t return.

1:32 p.m.: Knowshon Moreno, Miami’s top back, leave the game at Buffalo with a dislocated elbow. Didn’t return.

1:34 p.m.: Washington wideout DeSean Jackson hurt his shoulder against the Jags. Didn’t return.

As the day went on, some of the best players—Gerald McCoy, Charles Tillman, Vernon Davis, Jamaal Charles, Eric Berry, Vontaze Burfict, Ryan Mathews, Tavon Austin, Eric Decker—couldn’t finish. Last weekend, 55 players left games and didn’t return. I daresay this week’s number might be higher, once all the injury stats are in. Atlanta is on its third left tackle, St. Louis on its third quarterback, Kansas City on its third right tackle. Someone’s got to figure out why there’s an injury epidemic—wimpier off-season work?—and how to stem it.

Maybe I’ll get to the point where that stuff will rankle me enough so that I don’t enjoy the game. And I wondered how I would react Sunday, watching after the relentlessly dark week. I watch the games for the sport and the stories—always have. It didn’t take me long to care again. The Bills, celebrating Jim Kelly and their rebuilt stadium, advanced to 2-0. Hometown underdog Brian Hoyer breathed life into the Browns with two 80-plus-yard drives to enable Cleveland to win. The Jets—the Jets!—went up 18 at Green Bay and lost in one of the strangest ways, even for the Jets. No one could beat Seattle, supposedly. ’Hawks going 19-0! Dynasty, baby! San Diego (on a short week) 30, Seattle (with 10 days of rest) 21. Good drama, good games, some very good stories, all happening Sunday. (And one yelling at the TV—on the Geno Smith-to-Jeremy Kerley touchdown that wasn’t in Green Bay.)

I really liked it again, even when I had so many reservations about the week that just was.

I’ll reserve judgment on Goodell until all the facts are in—though I join the chorus that thinks he has to be held responsible for the chaos in the Rice case. I’ll be troubled by the violence of the game, which may eventually drive me from it. But I can’t demonize all the players. There are 1,696 active players in the league this morning. Peterson, Rice and Hardy are three. It’s abundantly clear that scores of players get in trouble with the law. Too many. But not so many that it exceeds the national average for young men in the average age range of NFL players.

I talked to a few players Sunday night about the week the league had just been through. “There’s a lot of great guys in the league,” said Buffalo running back C.J. Spiller. “Good people. Two or three guys are not going to ruin it for the rest.”

“On Friday,” Hoyer said, “after the Adrian Peterson thing, I said, ‘Can this week get any worse for the NFL?’ But the NFL is made up of a kaleidoscope of people, all very young. Some of them make mistakes. But there are 32 teams, with 53 players on a team. That’s a lot of people. And the vast majority of them are really good guys chasing a dream. The good stories don’t often get told, but there are a lot of them.”

For now, I’m in Hoyer’s camp. I still really like the game, and I can accept the zits on it. I just saw on Twitter overnight that a fantasy football league disbanded because of the mayhem of the past week, and the members gave their fees to charity. That’s cool, and I understand the feeling. But I don’t have the same feeling. Yet.

Goat of the Week

Colin Kaepernick, quarterback, San Francisco. :) Two interceptions on consecutive fourth-quarter series, two bad decisions, and that completed the Niners’ swoon in the first regular-season game in Levi’s Stadium history.
-----------------------
Other than the sentence bolded above this is the only mention of the Rams in this entire 6-page article - "Did T.J. McDonald block a punt and a field goal Sunday for the Rams in Tampa? I thought so, but then the play-by-play credited the FG block to E.J. Gaines."
-------------------------
To read the entire article click the link.
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/15/monday-morning-qb-nfl-week-2/
----------------------

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Kaepernick's performance was the icing on the cake of an otherwise fantastic Sunday.

Most overrated passer in the league. Yet they were still fellating him after a 15 yard run even after his fourth turnover.

He looks like post-jail Michael Vick out there. That's not good.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I didn't really mind Peter King, but ever since the Devon Still thing, he really sounds idiotic.

1st, no the NFL is gonna keep on chugging. Fans will watch, and I tend to agree with CJ Spiller and Brian Hoyer, most dudes are good dudes. Why is the NFL responsible for essentially parenting these guys? They are employers, not babysitters.

True, Rodger Goodell fucked up on the punishment on Ray Rice. That shouldn't mean the NFL as a whole should suffer. Also, the NFL has been through worse. Not diminishing domestic violence in anyway, but players have killed people by drunk driving, have convicted murderers (both humans and animals). Aaron Hernandez was just last year. Michael Vick just a few before.

There was no nonstop coverage of those, at least like it was this past week. What happened, nothing changed. Viewership remained high, and the league made a shit load of money. Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson are two guys that probably won't be in the league much longer. Players come and go. NFL will go on.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Why is the NFL responsible for essentially parenting these guys? They are employers, not babysitters.

The job of any employer is to protect the brand and that sometimes involves taking care of and weeding out trash employees.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The power hungry league has created too many laws.
When you make laws, you make criminals. Not all things are bad enough that they should be illegal. Government or nfl.

Why do we have men and women in jail for weed? It's foolish. I don't do it, but it doesn't seem like something that is so dangerous that we have to lock people up over it. Just an example

Also. I agree that there are a lot of good guys in the league. The league would do itself a great service by more openly highlighting the great things that many in the league do.
The nfl has many great stories of success and compassion that should be highlighted.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Most employers in a felony case will put any employees in the public eye on paid leave. Fair or not people have a hard time enjoying themselves watching a game when people seem to be beating the system. My mother in law used to shout "Murderer!" every time Leonard Little's name was called.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The job of any employer is to protect the brand and that sometimes involves taking care of and weeding out trash employees.

And that's where I said Rodger Goodell fucked up. The way the media has made it, it's like the NFL is a house of criminals and thugs. That's the stereotype in what is happening now.

But why now? That's my question. The league had record viewership after both Michael Vick and Aaron Hernandez. Oh and there's OJ Simpson, Lawrence Taylor, etc etc. from the old days.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The league would do itself a great service by more openly highlighting the great things that many in the league do.
The nfl has many great stories of success and compassion that should be highlighted.

Ratings and clicks are generated by sensational news. It's unfortunate but a story about an NFL player giving to charity or visiting a children's hospital will always be ignored but a criminal or socially unacceptable act by a player will get the headlines.

Tweed335

UDFA
Ratings and clicks are generated by sensational news. It's unfortunate but a story about an NFL player giving to charity or visiting a children's hospital will always be ignored but a criminal or socially unacceptable act by a player will get the headlines.

You could really apply this to society as well.

No one cares, for example, when children from lower socio-economic areas go on to graduate college, or a scientist makes a ground breaking discovery. In general, our society has become more interested in the lives of un-interesting celebs rather than constructive positive contributions by regular people. And I don't know if our society has really become this way, the old train wreck expression, or if there is just more opportunity for people to indulge in voyeurism rather than accomplishment nowadays.

Ok, cynical rant over. I agree with everyone saying how the negatives are highlighted more than the positives, and that hard work is diminished while 'get rich' quick is admired.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea....20 guys or so that have done some really messed up stuff in the past year........out of like 1500-2000....that's not all that bad.

There is no epidemic here. And as others have noted, so much of the good stuff gets overlooked, because it's "expected". The NFL has the power to change this, and I believe they will. They have a network. Which kind of sucks. So here's what I would do if I was Gadell - start airing a weekly half hour show that documents something completely awesome that an NFL player did - visiting a school or a sick kid, having a fund raiser for a good cause, etc.

ESPN and social media are the villains here....but the NFLN doesn't have to follow suit. Stop talking about Rice and Peterson. Talk about JJ Watt and Charles Tillman.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

But THEN the question becomes ,can they work anywhere? Can anyone hire them without appearing to be as ambivalent as the league would be if they let them play, not BTW that I'm siding ,but every action has unintended consequences ,are these guys lives ruined over acts that may not rise to a level they should be ?

I think the NFL is unique or maybe atypical and standards of simple employee employer dynamics transcend because of the celebrity indulgent culture they have to be more conscious ,if a Fed Ex driver beats his wife up you'd never know not because he was given a pass ,but because it wouldn't become a cause , these guys in the NFL are subject to extreme adulation and we've seen how that can be a vehicle to some long term abomination with the Jerry Sandusky child abuse reign .

All this BTW is why I don't ask for nor have autographs,they put their pants on one leg at a time,they just possess some entertaining talent that I enjoy watching but I'll leave the adulation to others.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So here's what I would do if I was Gadell - start airing a weekly half hour show that documents something completely awesome that an NFL player did - visiting a school or a sick kid, having a fund raiser for a good cause, etc.

The ratings would be flat because most people want controversy, gossip, or violence to titillate them. If anyone would dispute that I invite you to turn on the TV at any time of day or night and see what shows draw the highest ratings. The NFL is in business to generate revenue. This is what drives their news cycle. Good news does not seem to interest the average viewer.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Peter King needs to go away now
What a pompous prick
He asks

"Should WE still like football, I've asked MYSELF that a few times this week . I think we all have. And I've come to the conclusion it's a personal choice"

Ohhhhhh, thank you for thinking for me what I'm thinking and then making a blanket assumption on my behalf in a major publication

I just hope Peter King makes his so-called personal decision and decides to never watch an NFL game again

Me, I'm a Rams fan
I have no idea what Peter king is