Peter King: MMQB - 8/14/17

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Patience young jedi....just one game....lets see if it's moving too fast....he didn't look like some other QB's this weekend...like that Glennon dude....

He has no accuracy and mental processing speed. That was on display in college. He's just not good enough.

Rainram

Starter
Instant take? MMQB is saying "Bills have to start keeping their star players if they ever want to be a playoff team...good thing Goff sucks and won't make them look bad with a big year for a healthy Sammy"

thanks Peter&Co, appreciate ya.

Media members take turns bashing Goff and the Rams at will. Been that way for awhile.

I'm with you guys. There isn't a person I talk to who doesn't think Jared Goff is absolute trash. (Disclaimer: I live in Cardinal country). Every article, ranking, "analysis," etc., portrays him as just about the worst QB in football. Even if I weren't a Rams fan, and I was a skeptic, I would have rated higher the #30-#32 spots I usually see him placed.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He has no accuracy and mental processing speed. That was on display in college. He's just not good enough.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...tian-hackenberg-inspires-hope-in-first-outing

Jets' Christian Hackenberg inspires hope in first outing

We know preseason wins don't really mean anything, but for the Jets, it was nice to start off on the right foot.
That was especially true for Christian Hackenberg.

The second-year quarterback from Penn State saw his most significant action as a Jet on Saturday, completing 18 of 25 passes for 127 yards and earning a glowing review from gritty, journeyman quarterback Josh McCown.

"I was so proud of Hack tonight because you have little hiccups here and there that happen, that weren't necessarily his fault," McCown said, via the team's official site. "But he kept battling and played within the game."

New York's staff did Hackenberg a favor, getting the passer into a groove by starting him off with a handful of quick passes. Two connections with Robby Anderson and one with fullback Anthony Firkser got Hackenberg in rhythm, which didn't always result in chain-moving completions but at least allowed the quarterback to attempt a variety of throws.

"I felt great," Hackenberg said. "There are two or three throws off the top of my head I want to look at, but overall I thought we fought as a team. Our defense did a great job while we were figuring things out."

Where Hackenberg struggled was with passes along the boundary, especially beyond 10 yards, but he did complete a nice dart between defenders to Marquess Wilson, who ran a sharp corner route for a gain of 14.

"He has some things to build off," head coach Todd Bowles said. "He has some positives that we can look at and he can build from. He's got some negatives that we've got to correct. That's to be expected in the first game."

There's nowhere to go but up for Hackenberg, who didn't appear in a regular-season game last season for New York despite being selected in the second round of the 2016 draft. Typically, that's not entirely unsurprising, but this happened while part of a team that was forced to play Geno Smith and Bryce Petty in place of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Only one of those three are still on the roster.

Hack's best season beyond high school was his freshman year at Penn State. It's been a few years since he's found consistent success, so for the youngster to stick in the NFL, he'll need more outings like these. With McCown being the bridge to the unnamed future, opportunity could arise rather quickly. For Hackenberg's sake, he better be prepared, before it's too late.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/day_13_jets_christian_hackenberg_qb_report.html

reps | Day 13 QB report (8/15/17)

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
The Jets on Tuesday held their 13th training camp practice, as they prepare for Saturday's second preseason game, in Detroit. Here are our quarterback-related takeaways and observations, as Christian Hackenberg, Josh McCown, and Bryce Petty compete for the starting job.

THE REPS

Hackenberg: 23 (258 total for camp)

McCown: 20 (279 total)

Petty: 6 (172 total)

THE STATS

McCown: 10-15, one sack, one touchdown

Totals for camp: 113-174 (64.9 percent), seven touchdowns, three interceptions

Hackenberg: 8-15, one touchdown

Totals for camp: 77-155 (49.6 percent), six touchdowns, four interceptions

(not great....agreed...but hey, he had a bad OC for years in college too...LOL)

Bryce Petty: 2-5, one touchdown

Totals for camp: 62-100 (62 percent), six touchdowns, four interceptions

JOSH MCCOWN: THE GOOD
Solid overall day for McCown. He clearly is comfortable in this offense, and ran it well.
Under pressure, McCown calmly handled the situation and hit Elijah McGuire for a short pass that turned into a long gain.
McCown was particularly efficient in the red zone period. He went 4-of-4 passing, including a short touchdown to

JOSH MCCOWN: THE BAD
McCown's first pass of practice was actually his worst.
On a mid-range throw, McCown was nearly intercepted by Demario Davis — who, along with fellow inside linebacker Darron Lee, played well in coverage Tuesday.
But other than that, no major mistakes for McCown on Tuesday.

BRYCE PETTY: THE GOOD
In limited action, Petty did just fine.
He uncorked a perfectly timed pass over the middle to Chad Hansen, who ran about 30 yards for a touchdown.
But once again, not a lot of reps for Petty, as he sits firmly at No. 3 in this competition.

BRYCE PETTY: THE BAD
Like the other two quarterbacks, no interceptions for Petty on Tuesday.
Under pressure, he made a bad, low throw to an open receiver.
But the primary bad thing for Petty continues to be his lack of reps. He is getting left behind.

nfl-tennessee-titans-at-new-york-jets-5ec0cf4e6ec10eaf.jpg

Brad Penner | USA TODAY Sports
CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG: THE GOOD
The Jets' coaches are taking a long look at Hackenberg. He got the most action in last Saturday's preseason opener. And for the second straight practice Tuesday, he played the most reps.
So what did he do well, besides not turn the ball over?
Hackenberg's prettiest throw was down the sideline to receiver Dan Williams — a deep ball that Hackenberg dropped right in. Nicely done. Hackenberg's touchdown was a short red-zone throw to Anthony Firkser.

CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG: THE BAD
He was victimized by just one drop Tuesday (Hansen).
Hackenberg also threw an awful low ball to an open Hansen, on a screen pass.

For the most part, all three quarterbacks played pretty well on Tuesday, so not a lot of negatives to point out

WHICH QB LOOKED THE BEST?
Again, all three quarterbacks did pretty well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...g-expections-for-rookie-christian-hackenberg/
Jets tempering expectations for “rookie” Christian Hackenberg
Posted by Darin Gantt
Christian Hackenberg is taking some reps with the Jets’ first offense, and he may end up their starter.

But they’re not ready to declare that yet, and they’re not even sure where Hackenberg is in the process.

Via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Jets offensive coordinator John Morton seemed to be tempering the enthusiasm surrounding the second-year quarterback, who didn’t throw a pass last year.

Basically, he’s a rookie,” Morton said.

Hackenberg was efficient if not outstanding last week, completing 18-of-25 for 127 yards with no interceptions. But it was a very spare game-plan, so they’re not ready to say he’s ready to start in a regular season game.

“I think that’s too early to tell,” Morton said. “We’re in training camp mode. We got to play a couple more preseason games. Then we’ll have a better feel to see where we’re at. Because it’s a whole different story once you get in a game and evaluate guys. That’s the real evaluation. . . .

“We’re still in evaluation mode. We’re still in training camp mode. We’re just asking him, ‘Ok, this is the situation. Let’s make sure we do this. So that happened last time. Let’s not do that.’ That’s with everybody. So, there’s no timetable here. That’s what’s training camp’s for. We’ve only had one preseason game. We’ll see what happens the next few weeks.”

If that sounds like faint praise, there’s probably a reason for that.

Veteran Josh McCown has been the presumed leader in the competition for the starting job, in what many have presumed will be a lost season. So while the easy thing to do would be to look at last year’s second-round pick, the Jets apparently aren’t ready to embark on that yet, or to admit they are.

Pretty good for a rookie...well 2nd year guy that many think doesn't belong in the league. That lefty for Dallas doesn't belong in the league. Kellen Moore.

Ooops...one more....
http://nypost.com/2017/08/15/jets-coordinator-christian-hackenbergs-wasted-year/
Jets coordinator: Christian Hackenberg’s wasted year
By Zach Braziller

Despite the progress Christian Hackenberg has made in training camp, he clearly has a long way to go. Just ask offensive coordinator John Morton.

“Basically, he’s a rookie,” Morton said Tuesday before the team practiced, in his first comments to reporters since the spring.

That seemed like an indictment on the coaching the second-round pick of a year ago received from since-fired offensive coordinator Chan Gailey and quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo. Hackenberg did not sniff the field last season for the Jets, despite a disastrous 5-11 campaign.

The first year offensive coordinator did offer some praise for Hackenberg, saying he’s happy with how he’s taken care of the ball, and was pleased with his accuracy and decisiveness in the preseason opener last Saturday against the Titans, when he completed 18-of-25 passes for 127 yards.

“He was poised, and that’s what you want to see,” said Morton, who wouldn’t go into details on the plans for Saturday regarding the snaps for the quarterbacks.

But when asked how far Hackenberg has to go to be ready to start in a regular season game, Morton gave a non-answer.

“It’s too early to tell,” he said.

Last edited:

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I want guys to succeed and everything, but Hackenburg's odds seem quite low.

He and Mannion had similar stat lines, yet Mannion's game was more impressive as he at least attempted some more intermediate passes. That dropped one by Hemmingway was actually a very impressive play no matter who threw it.

I saw the highlights from Titans-Jets the day of on NFL Network and all they showed for Hack was him and the Jets consistently failing. I thought the guys on the set were doing him dirty when I saw his statline and thought "He couldn't have been that bad." but then you watch more of the game and realized that those were the only real interesting plays he made.

Mannion also looked better as he was able to lead his team to scores, while Hackenburg didn't. Granted the Jets as a whole weren't impressive, but still. Hack has to make a lot of strides still.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I want guys to succeed and everything, but Hackenburg's odds seem quite low.

He and Mannion had similar stat lines, yet Mannion's game was more impressive as he at least attempted some more intermediate passes.
You do know that Hackenburg is almost a rookie...while Mannion has been here, what 3 years? Totally different circumstances. What is so different about their stats?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You do know that Hackenburg is almost a rookie...while Mannion has been here, what 3 years? Totally different circumstances. What is so different about their stats?
Man you pick some real gems to back as your favorite players hahaha

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Man you pick some real gems to back as your favorite players hahaha
No, no....not favorites....Hey, I like Winston's....Marriota's....Dak, Kizer, Ryan,....Wentz....I like the top guys too....I just think there are several QB's not so heralded that deserve a little respect. Hackenberg is one of them...and trust me...I didn't like the way the kid played in college...his last year...but...I listened to him...heard his story...saw what O'Brien did with him....hell....you remember...I liked LOGAN THOMAS too...still like Brett Hundley...the guy has a good head on his shoulders...and a nice little arm. Much like Cam...he probably needs a bunch of big receivers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, no....not favorites....Hey, I like Winston's....Marriota's....Dak, Kizer, Ryan,....Wentz....I like the top guys too....I just think there are several QB's not so heralded that deserve a little respect. Hackenberg is one of them...and trust me...I didn't like the way the kid played in college...his last year...but...I listened to him...heard his story...saw what O'Brien did with him....hell....you remember...I liked LOGAN THOMAS too...still like Brett Hundley...the guy has a good head on his shoulders...and a nice little arm. Much like Cam...he probably needs a bunch of big receivers.
I've watched a lot of QB's in college and the pro's and Logan Thomas, Cam and Hackenberg are probably the three least accurate QB's I've ever seen make it to the NFL. Horrible accuracy across the board. Hackenberg would have a hard time hitting a taco stand in East LA.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've watched a lot of QB's in college and the pro's and Logan Thomas, Cam and Hackenberg are probably the three least accurate QB's I've ever seen make it to the NFL.
yeah....you got me there....Terry Bradshaw was inaccurate too...

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

I know their levels of experience. I'm not saying the stat lines are different at all. They both had very similar stat lines in week 1, that's why I'm making the comparison. It's just when I see this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Fyi5hl5fo

There's not much that jumps off the page. Couple that with not putting together a scoring drive and I just don't think Hack put in a really impressive performance. In the comparison between him and Mannion, they both go 18/25, no TDs or INTs for either, and Mannion had just 17 more yards. That said, I felt Mannion looked better and was able to coordinate 2 scoring drives.

The reports on him last year were rough, and he hasn't had many glowing reviews this season either. I just think he really needs to do better than this is if he wants to actually beat Petty for the second spot, not just out last him.

Admittedly, he's not in a great environment for offense coaching and the Jets are talent depleted, so he's got an uphill climb. I'm pulling for him, but the outlook for him is bleak, at least in NY.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah....you got me there....Terry Bradshaw was inaccurate too...
Indeed, good thing he was carried by an amazing supporting cast. He was probably the worst player on those Super Bowl winners.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just don't think Hack put in a really impressive performance.
Not much difference when I look at that...bunch of flat passes...seems his receivers are terrible....But....He got them in and out of a huddle, he handled some pressure and made some quick decisions to get the ball in the hands of his "playmakers"....IDK....not the dumpster fire people try to make the kid out to be. We shall see....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
8 drives - 0 points

That's against the second and third units of the other team.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...tian-hackenbergs-preseason-week-1-performance

Examining Christian Hackenberg's preseason Week 1 performance
BY SAM MONSON

Hackenberg-Heat-Map-768x432.jpg

New York Jets QB Christian Hackenberg completed 18-of-25 passes (72.0 percent) in his first action of the 2017 preseason against the Titans, throwing for 127 yards and looking relatively composed with the ball, but his average depth of target was just 4.3 yards down field.

Hackenberg attempted just two passes longer than 10 air-yards, and neither was complete. Ten of his pass attempts were either behind or level with the line of scrimmage, and his average depth of target ranked 74th among quarterbacks over the first week of the preseason.

His overall grade for the game was 71.5 thanks to being asked to do relatively little with the football and simply take simple, short completions. 86 of his 127 passing yards came after the catch with his receivers doing the work.

Hackenberg may have improved as a Jet, but he was a long way from executing a legitimate NFL offense against Tennessee.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Second year for Hack. Not much different than third year for Mannion neither started a regular season game.

I would love for Christian to be successful. He was very instrumental in ebbing the sanctions against PSU. I hoped he just needed better QB coaching but I am having my doubts. He has a big arm and threw some nice deep outs and such. He struggled with WR screens due to footwork. But what I am seeing and hearing from Jets camp so far is not inspiring, unfortunately.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/19/christian-hackenberg-starts-jets-offense-flounders/

Christian Hackenberg starts; Jets offense flounders
Posted by Josh Alper on August 19, 2017

ap_17232038124307-e1503191182342.jpg

AP

The Jets gave quarterback Christian Hackenberg a start on Saturday night, but it didn’t result in an offensive explosion.

It didn’t result in much of anything offensively, actually. Hackenberg played the entire first half against the Lions and the Jets picked up 43 yards and two first downs before coach Todd Bowles announced at half time that his night was over.

Hackenberg accounted for one of the first downs on a 12-yard scramble, but went 2-of-6 for 14 yards as a passer. He was sacked twice, including a big shot from a completely unaccounted for Cornelius Washington that led to a fumble on the first possession of the game.

The Jets recovered, which counts as a bright spot on Saturday.

Those two sacks and a few penalties on the offensive line show that there’s a lot of issues on offense beyond the quarterback. Still, Hackenberg didn’t look like he was ready to push Josh McCown aside for the starting job.

McCown won’t play on Saturday and Bryce Petty will play the rest of the way for the Jets.