Peter King - MMQB: 5/26/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
On Holidays, Heroes and A Patriot Named Brady
In this Memorial Day edition, we’ll cover Tom Brady's future, the punishment for Jim Irsay and Ray Rice, Super Bowl site voting, the continuing hoo-hah over a team name and a small-college baseball player with big-time patriotism
By Peter King

Read the entire article at the link in the title....

Excerpts:

“He’s a man’s man. He knows how to lead alpha males. The culture that he’s forming here with the help of [GM] Phil Emery and the McCaskeys and everyone upstairs, I’ve never been around it. He puts us in position every single day to grow as men.”

—Brandon Marshall, expressing his appreciation to Bears coach Marc Trestman at a press conference announcing the wide receiver’s three-year contract extension.

The press conference, from a distance, seemed extraordinary for how many people Marshall included in his gratitude. Marshall, according to Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune, thanked 56 different people for the contract—including Bears media czar Jim Christman, for his counsel, for fixing his tie, for the post-game gum, and for the Chapstick. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a football player thank that many people for making his life so good.
-------------------------------
Jim Steeg @jimsteeg

Always announce ticket price increases the friday of a holiday weekend, make sure ownership is not quoted.

Steeg is the former NFL director of special events, and current NFL sage-in-retirement.
------------------------------
TEN THINGS I THINK I THINK(actually 8 NFL thoughts):)

1. I think that was a great job by Tim Graham of the Buffalo News, going to Los Angeles and coming up with a depressing picture of the future of the NFL in L.A. two decades after the Rams and Raiders last played there. The money quote from Graham’s story, from long-time Los Angeles city councilman Bernard Parks: “I’ve finally, personally come to a conclusion. I have to resign myself to the fact the NFL is not coming.” Strong words from one of the biggest NFL flag-wavers in town.

2. I think, Sam Farmer, I will wait for your retort. Or your forecast.

3. I think I hope Bill Belichick—as he did last week on SiriusXM NFL Radio—continues to press for replay on any call made in any game. For those who say it will lead to five-hour games, come on. It won’t increase the number of challenges each coach has per game; it will simply provide another bit of insurance against a blown call changing the outcome of a game.

4. I think, regarding Jerry Rice Jr. declining to wear number 80 during a San Francisco tryout the other day, I say: Why would he? Nice to follow in your dad’s footsteps and all, but why let people look at you on the field and say, “Well, he’s no Jerry Rice?”

5. I think I like what I saw on Pro Football Talk Sunday: the probability of a redesigned substance-abuse policy in the NFL that calls for a one-game suspension for a first-time DUI conviction.

6. I think the Dolphins have a pretty big upgrade at tackle—from the aged Bryant McKinnie (left) and Tyson Clabo (right) at the end of last season to Branden Albert and Ju’Wuan James—to start this year. The first act of new GM Dennis Hickey will look very smart if Albert and James can be the long-term protectors of Ryan Tannehill that they were imported to be.

7. I think the best sign for any team over the weekend was Chiefs rookie quarterback Aaron Murray evading the rush well at Kansas City minicamp, just six months removed from ACL surgery. Though it was a non-contact practice in helmets and shorts, Murray looked comfortable pivoting and wheeling around on the rehabbed leg. Doubt he’ll beat out Chase Daniel this year as Alex Smith’s backup, but great progress nonetheless.

8. I think one of the position competitions I’m really looking forward to this summer is cornerback in New Orleans. Specifically: Imagine if, on opening day against Atlanta, the Saints line up Champ Bailey across from Roddy White and—on some plays at least—the 6-4 Stanley Jean-Baptiste across from Julio Jones? Jean-Baptiste will likely open the season behind the established Keenan Lewis, trying to earn time in the nickel or dime packages.

Talk about re-making your corner group in one off-season. If this happens, it would take a leap of faith for defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to pull it off—not with Bailey, of course, because he should start if healthy. But Ryan will work hard to get Jean-Baptiste ready to face the tall wideouts in the division, and there are many in the NFC South.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
This is just a pet peeve of mine, but I hope someone else eventually wears 80 for the Niners after Jerry Rice's ego ruined the idea for the Seahawks that Steve Largent would be the only one to wear #80 for the team. Yeah, Largent agreed to it, but probably worried that he would have looked bad if he didn't.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why is King Blathering about Champ Bailey becoming a Saint, as if he was 26 years old? Bailey has been on the decline and that is why Denver was willing to let him walk. Stanley Jean Baptiste is a nice athlete but many teams reportedly liked him better at Safety. So, what do the Saints really have at corner? Keenan Lewis? Whoopedy freakin Do.