Peter King: MMQB - 5/22/17 - Power Rankings - Rams: 29th

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts. To read the whole article click the link below. These are only the power rankings for the bottom half of the NFL. The rest will be posted tomorrow.

Is there still room for more creepy butt-kissing of the Patriots and Tom Brady by Peter King? You bet! The man apparently can't help himself. This is probably his screen saver...

giphy.gif

NFL Power Rankings, Pt. 1: Starting at the Bottom
With free agency and the draft in the rearview, here’s an early look at how the teams stack up heading into the 2017 season, beginning with Nos. 17-32. Plus notes on overtime changes, Tom Brady concussion talk and more
By Peter King

mmqb-powergrid.jpg

Photo: Getty Images (6); AP (4)

A first in the 20 years that I’ve been doing Monday Morning Quarterback: a split column. Because I wanted to give you my rankings, one to 32, of NFL teams after free agency and the draft, and I wanted to put a little meat on the bone, I’ll give you half the league today and half in a special MMQB column Tuesday. Today: 17 through 32, and I believe my ratings will take me off Mike Maccagnan’s Christmas card list. Tuesday: 1 through 16.

First, three quick notes in advance of the league meeting in Chicago on Tuesday:

• Vernon Davis, you can shoot that jump shot again, without getting whacked. The NFL flagged and fined 26 players for excessive celebration last year; most of those celebrations this season will not be penalized or fined. Commissioner Roger Goodell and his staff met on at least two occasions this spring with a large group of players (one club official told me Goodell talked with more than 40 players about this issue) and came to his senses: It’s asinine to use the “ball as prop” reason to penalize players, and even more asinine to fine someone $12,000 for the simple act of expressing joy after scoring a touchdown.

Most of those penalties will disappear Tuesday at the league meeting. For instance, this “foul” will be wiped off the books: Remember when Davis, the Washington tight end, caught a touchdown pass against the Eagles last October and then calmly shot the football over the crossbar, as if was shooting a basketball into the hoop? Last year that was a 15-yard penalty and a $12,154 fine.

This year, if the league approves, it will be neither a penalty or a fine. (That has more than just sportsmanship aspects to it. Last year, the 15-yard flag against Davis caused Washington kicker Dustin Hopkins to make a short kickoff, and Eagles returner Wendell Smallwood brought it back for an 86-yard touchdown.) Thankfully, intelligent heads will prevail, and that silliness is very likely to be knocked off the books in 2017.

• It’s widely expected that the overtime period will be shaved from 15 minutes to 10. I hate ties. We all do. But I doubt more ties, by percentage, will result from this change, designed with an eye on player safety and reducing the number of plays in overtime. Coaches will adjust, and will play faster now in the extra period.

This proposal may have passed by vote in the league’s March meeting, but the league didn’t want to jam it through before teams had time to deliberate. They have now, and it’s doubtful that at least nine will vote against it. (There must be a three-quarters majority to pass the rule; the league believes it has 24 yes votes.)

• The Los Angeles Super Bowl is in flux. Because of torrential rain in L.A. in the first four months of 2017, the projected opening for the new Rams/Chargers stadium got pushed from summer 2019 to summer 2020. That means the Super Bowl the league awarded to Los Angeles for February 2021 is now in doubt, because the NFL has an unofficial policy of waiting for a new stadium to work the kinks out in year one and before allowing it to host a Super Bowl in year two.

The L.A. forces will argue that Minnesota and Atlanta will have 20 games played before their Super Bowls—the same number as the L.A. stadium will have. Why? Because the Rams and Chargers, with 10 games each in the new stadium (eight regular-season, two pre-season), will give the same 20-game experience as the other new palaces. It’s not a big deal anyway … because the league is going to play multiple Super Bowls in Los Angeles, and whether the first one is in 2021 or 2022 in the grand scheme of things isn’t very significant.

NFL Power Rankings, Pt. 1

At The MMQB in June, we’ll have a full division-by-division preview of the season by eight writers. They will go in more depth than I am today. But here’s how I view teams 17 through 32, the second half of the NFL power structure entering training camps.

17. DETROIT LIONS

mmqb-theo-riddick.jpg

Lions running back Theo Riddick

Photo: Leon Halip/Getty Images

Additions: Interesting trade by Lions GM Bob Quinn, in effect: He shed right guard Larry Warford and right tackle Riley Reiff for right guard T.J. Lang and right tackle Rick Wagner. It wasn’t a trade; Quinn let Warford and Reiff walk and signed Lang and Wagner in free agency (about a combined $19.7 million per year—fairly bloated contracts) to replace them … MLB Jarrad Davis was the first-round pick and should play from day one … Disappointing CB D.J. Hayden arrived in free agency from Oakland and will compete to be the slot corner.

Subtractions: Other than Reiff and Warford, two players of note are gone: WR Anquan Boldin and OLB DeAndre Levy. Levy hadn’t played well since 2014 because of injury.

Key coaching/front-office moves: No major changes. Former Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey was imported from Houston to work on special projects.

Decisive schedule span: Check out the first six games, before Detroit has its bye: Arizona, at Giants, Atlanta, at Minnesota, Carolina, at New Orleans. Is it my imagination or could you see the Lions win any of those or lose any of those? (By the way, this is the third time in four years Detroit closes against Green Bay.)

Why I have the Lions 17th: The Lions have to get more balanced on offense. In Jim Caldwell’s three years as coach, no back has had a 100-yard game. The running game’s been gosh-awful the past two years (the leading rusher in 2015 had 597 yards; in 2016, 357 yards). The Lions think they’re better in the run game with a right side of Lang and Wagner, and they’d better be for the $20 million a year Detroit’s spending on those two.

A better running game has long been Detroit’s aim, and with all the resources the Lions have used in the draft and free agency on recent offensive linemen, it’s still an iffy unit. While on this running harangue: Theo Riddick’s a better back than Ameer Abdullah, though Riddick’s not a 275-carry workhorse.

But if I’m Jim Caldwell, Riddick would get the bulk of the carries from Week 1 this year. Detroit’s going to be competitive on offense as long as Matthew Stafford is playing, but to be a Super Bowl contender the Lions have to diversify.

Most important factor to this team this year: The Lions have won enough to make the playoffs with a bad run game, so it can be done. But they could really use an alternative to Ziggy Ansah rushing the passer. With the first eight games all against teams with legit Pro Bowl quarterbacks, it’s vital that either Kerry Hyder or another rusher help Ansah consistently.

Lions prediction in 10 words or less: Riddick gets less than 160 touches. The Lions go 8-8.

18. BALTIMORE RAVENS

mmqb-joe-flacc.jpg

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco

Photo: Joe Sargent/Getty Images

Additions: An underrated one in jack-of-all-backs Danny Woodhead, the former Charger, to be Joe Flacco’s security blanket … The secondary got reshaped with two starters (Brandon Carr, Tony Jefferson) in free agency and a third contributor (Marlon Humphrey) in the first round. Carr’s been okay in tight coverage and adds this bonus: He’s the most durable corner in football over the past nine years.

Subtractions: DT Timmy Jernigan was shipped to Philadelphia … WR Steve Smith Sr. retired, RT Ricky Wagner signed with Detroit, C-G Jeremy Zuttah and FB Kyle Jusczyk landed in San Francisco … Pass-rusher Elvis Dumervil wasn’t resigned, DE Lawrence Guy defected to New England and, unfortunately, promising LB Zach Orr retired because of a medical condition.

Key coaching/front-office moves: Lots of staff juggling. Greg Roman arrived as senior offensive assistant and tight ends coach … Chris Hewitt replaced Leslie Frazier as secondary coach … Craig Ver Steeg (a Joe Flacco favorite) and coordinator Marty Mornhinweg will share QB coaching duties … Joe D’Alessandris succeeded Juan Castillo (now in Buffalo) as OL coach.

Decisive schedule span: Weeks 11 through 14, coming out of the bye. Two very tough road games (at Green Bay, at Pittsburgh) sandwich Houston and Detroit at home.

Why I have the Ravens 18th: As with many teams in the middle of this list, the Ravens could go either way. I could see them win 11; I could see them lose 10. The Ravens are in a four-year funk. They’re 32-34 over the past four seasons, with only one playoff appearance. There’s no sign owner Steve Bisciotti is considering blowing up anything. He shouldn’t; John Harbaugh still has the pulse of this team.

Question is, can Joe Flacco, in year two after knee surgery, take this team farther than he has since the Super Bowl? Last year was his most accurate season ever (64.9 percent), but he lost two pairs of sure hands (Smith retired, Jusczyk went to San Francisco) and desperately needs to bond with Woodhead to give Baltimore 80 to 90 easy chains-moving completions.

Defensively, for about the 68th year in a row, the Ravens need a significant pass rush season from Terrell Suggs. Problem is, Suggs turns 35 this year. He’s had two Achilles surgeries. The secondary should be markedly better.

Most important factor to this team this year: The offense being better than the one that seven times was held under 20 points last season. Again, so much of that is up to Flacco.

Ravens prediction in 10 words or less: A 5-1 finish saves jobs in Baltimore.

19. CAROLINA PANTHERS

mmqb-chris-mccaffrey.jpg

Panthers RB/WR Christian McCaffrey
Photo: Chuck Burton/AP

Additions: In the year of the NFL overpaying tackles, the Panthers paid the average Matt Kalil $11 million a year ($31 million guaranteed) … Julius Peppers returns for a swan-season at 37, and I like the move; he was effective playing 58 percent of the snaps in Green Bay last year … But the big newcomers came on draft weekend: offensive weapons Christian McCaffrey and Curtis Samuel as the first two picks, to be Carolina’s Darren Sproles and Percy Harvin. Well, GM Dave Gettleman prays McCaffrey and Samuel will be that.

Subtractions: Receiver/returner Ted Ginn left for the Saints … DE Kony Ealy was tossed away to New England for a draft swap of eight slots … Tackle Mike Remmers, who famously said after his Von Miller beatdown in the Super Bowl that he’d be “kicking myself the rest of my life,” now has a five-year, $30 million pillow to soothe the mental pain in Minnesota.

Key coaching/front-office moves: Trusted defensive lieutenant Sean McDermott left to coach the Bills, and similarly trusted Steve Wilks takes over the Panthers’ defense.

Decisive schedule span: It’s almost like the NFL heard Ron Rivera’s grousing about opening with Denver last year, and gave the Panthers a winnable September. Carolina opens with San Francisco on the road and Buffalo and New Orleans at home. We may see 3-0 Carolina at 3-0 New England as the game of the week in Week 4.

Why I have the Panthers 19th: Not sure which Cam Newton will show up. Will it be Newton the pragmatist, Newton the assist man, Newton the facilitator? That Newton will accept the changes in Carolina’s offense, flip the ball short to McCaffrey, hand it to Samuel on jet sweeps, and do everything in his power to add 10 percentage points to his horrendous 52.9-percent accuracy last year. (I’m assuming that this is the Newton we’ll see this year.)

If we see the Newton intent on being a deep-strike classic quarterback, this will be a step back for the Gettleman offensive rebuild. Newton and offensive coordinator Mike Shula have to work together to remake the Carolina offense. On the other side of the ball, the biggest question is the fate of Luke Kuechly. Concussions in the past two years robbed him of nine games, and his long-term health and availability is a big issue entering the season.

Most important factor to this team this year: Aside from Newton’s attempt to return to MVP form after a bad season, I’d say the offensive philosophy change is huge. With rookies McCaffrey and Samuel adding a new dimension (a shorter, faster way to attack), it’s up to Newton and Shula to accept the changes.

Panthers prediction in 10 words or less: There’s a big new star in Charlotte: Christian McCaffrey.

20. HOUSTON TEXANS

mmqb-jjwatt.jpg

Texans pass-rusher J.J. Watt
Photo: Ronald C. Modra/Getty Images

Additions: First-round quarterback Deshaun Watson enters choppy waters (more about that in a minute), but there’s no doubt he’s the favorite to be the Texans’ quarterback by Thanksgiving, replacing Tom Savage … Third-rounder D’Onta Foreman will be a good changeup back for Lamar Miller.

Subtractions: QB Brock Osweiler, one of the worst free-agent signings ever, was dispatched to Cleveland. Siberia may be next … CB A.J. Bouye, the former undrafted college find, defected to Jacksonville for huge money … NT Vince Wilfork wasn’t retained and is mulling retirement.

Key coaching/front-office moves: Two of them: Bill O’Brien takes over for offensive coordinator George Godsey, who paid with his job for the struggles of Osweiler … And in the front office, vice president of player personnel Brian Gaine left for a parallel job in Buffalo. That’s an odd and disquieting move for the Texans.

Decisive schedule span: Three measuring-stick games, in Weeks 3 through 5: at New England (second straight year, oddly, with Houston at New England in Week 3), Tennessee, Kansas City. The Texans have lost three to New England in the past two years, by 21, 27 and 18. Texans now may be looking up at rising Tennessee in the AFC South; they split seven-point wins last year. And they’re 1-2 against perennial contender K.C. since 2015.

Why I have the Texans 20th: I don’t trust them to have good quarterback play, and I’m skeptical of Bill O’Brien’s long-term future. I trust the defense, obviously. But with a shaky passing game (Tom Savage has huge pressure on him entering the season, obviously), that will exacerbate the worries about the future. Amazing that we’re not even that concerned about the return of J.J. Watt. That’s because the defense proved it could win without Watt.

The offense, though, didn’t score 28 points in any of 18 games last year, and how exactly are they significantly improved unless Watson comes on fast? One final thing: When Gaine left for Buffalo last week, I took that as a bad sign for O’Brien’s future. O’Brien liked and respected Gaine. For Gaine to makes a sideways move to the Buffalo Bills may not be a great sign for the long-term prospects of the O’Brien administration.

Most important factor to this team this season: Quarterback, quarterback, quarterback.

Texans prediction of 10 words or less: Though green, Watson starts 10 games. Inaccurate, but dynamic.

21. CINCINNATI BENGALS

mmqb-marvlewis.jpg

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis

Photo: John Grieshop/Getty Images

Additions: Two of the most explosive players in this draft arrived with question marks: WR John Ross (4.22 speed but oft-injured) and RB Joe Mixon (dogged by the ugly assault of a woman in 2014). They could remake this offense if they leave their pasts in the past … Pass-rusher Jordan Willis was projected by some to go low in the first round of the 2017 draft; Cincinnati got him in the third.

Subtractions: Reliable LT Andrew Whitworth left for the Rams in free agency; Jake Fisher gets the first shot to replace him … Versatile RB Rex Burkhead, wisely, jumped to New England … G Kevin Zeitler broke the bank in Cleveland … Starting LB Karlos Dansby went home to Arizona, while veteran and trusted DL Domata Peko moved to Denver.

Key coaching/front-office moves: None of note.

Decisive schedule span: The first five weeks, followed by the bye. If the Bengals aren’t at least 3-2 after Baltimore, Houston, at Green Bay, at Cleveland, Buffalo, it’s going to be a long year.

Why I have the Bengals 21st: I’m on the verge of saying these Bengals have reached their expiration date. Fourteen years for Marvin Lewis, 8.4 wins per year, zero playoff wins in seven appearances. Andy Dalton: six seasons, 9.3 wins per year, zero playoff wins in four games, plus-61 TD-to-pick differential. Competent and competitive, year after year, and so what?

But I’m going to defer my grinchiness for the moment because of something one scout told me the day Joe Mixon was drafted. “Best back I’ve scouted in the draft since Adrian Peterson,” he said. And while in San Francisco for the draft this year, I sensed how much the Niners loved John Ross.

“A true separator,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said. “A difference-maker.” So let’s see what happens this year with two major new offensive pieces. Let’s see if one of the best line coaches in the game, Paul Alexander, can make this group play better than it did a year ago, now that it’s without its compass, left tackle Whitworth. Interesting year ahead.

Most important factor to this team this year: The Bengals will score. Can the defense defend? Cincinnati allowed just 16 points a game in the second half of the season, and any playoff hopes rest on being similarly stingy after making no major personnel changes on defense.

Bengals prediction of 10 words or less: A 7-9 season makes Mike Brown ponder cleaning house.

22: Washington Redskins

mmqb-jamisoncrowder.jpg

Washington wide receiver Jamison Crowder
Photo: Andy Lewis/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Additions: Because of shoulder injury concerns, a top-five player, DL Jonathan Allen, fell to the middle of the first round and will be a boom-or-bust pick for the defensive front … Love the bargain addition of ace tackler Zack Brown from Buffalo in free agency …

WR Terrelle Pryor got embarrassed in free agency, thinking he’d make $12 million a year with a big guarantee. He got just $8 million on a one-year deal and will have to fight for Kirk Cousins’ attention with a young stable of guys (Jamison Crowder in particular) whom Cousins already knows.

Subtractions: WRs Pierre Garçon and DeSean Jackson left for the Niners and Bucs; Cousins will miss Garçon’s precision … DE Ricky Jean-Francois left for Green Bay, while underappreciated DL Chris Baker signed with Tampa Bay. Washington will regret letting Baker go for the highly reasonable sum of $5.25 million a year. He may have been free agency’s biggest bargain this off-season.

Key coaching/front-office moves: Big loss for coach Jay Gruden with the departure of offensive coordinator Sean McVay to coach the Rams. Now Gruden takes over the offensive design and play-calling, which McVay handled the past two years. “That’s something I’ll have to make time for,”

Gruden said at the league meetings in March. “I’m a little nervous about it, but I’m excited also.” … The drama around the departure of GM Scot McCloughan has settled down, but the lasting reverberation is whether Bruce Allen will remain the de facto personnel man/organization spokesman … New defensive coordinator Greg Manusky, a loud and demanding sort, replaced Joe Barry.

Decisive schedule span: Weeks 7 through 9. After an early bye (Week 5) and the Niners in Week 6, Washington has a tough stretch that could make or break the season: at Philadelphia, Dallas, at Seattle.

Why I have Washington 22nd: Such a hard team to read. Kirk Cousins had another very good year with some great moments, topped by a 42-24 rout of the Packers on Nov. 20, but he was MIA in a must-win finale against the Giants, putting up a season-low 10 points. There’s some disconnect between Cousins and the front office, to be sure, which leads me to wonder if he’ll ever sign a long-term deal, and if Allen will even want to pay him top quarterback money.

I’m not worried about the offense, though. The defense was gashed early and often, giving up 24 points a game, and surrendering 4.5 yards per rush and allowing opposing quarterbacks to complete 66 percent of their passes. The loss of Trent Murphy (nine sacks last year) to a PED ban for the first four games will put more pressure on Ryan Kerrigan to carry the pass rush. First-rounder Jonathan Allen has to be a factor early, particularly with the loss of Baker.

Most important factor to this team this year: Manusky’s impact on the defense. We know Washington will score in the mid-20s at least. We don’t know if this defense can stop anyone, but you can expect more physicality. “We might not win a game,” Manusky told reporters with a grin last week, “but we’ll sure beat the crap out of a lot of people.”

Washington prediction of 10 words or less: In his last Washington season, Cousins throws for 4,500 yards.

23. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

mmqb-carsonwentz.jpg

Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz
Photo: Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

Additions: Busy offseason: WRs Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith, and RB LaGarrette Blount fortified the offense; DE Chris Long, DT Timmy Jernigan and CB Patrick Robinson the defense, and none for bank-breaking money …

What a 26-month period it’s been for Nick Foles: Philadelphia to St. Louis to Los Angeles to Kansas City and now back to Philadelphia to back up Carson Wentz … Edge rusher Derek Barnett, the top draft pick from Tennessee, will get a role for Jim Schwartz.

Subtractions: Defensive ones, mostly: DE Connor Barwin to the Rams, cornerback Nolan Carroll to Dallas, and probably the biggest one—space-eating DT Bennie Logan to Kansas City.

Key coaching/front-office moves: After a tumultuous post-Chip Kelly 2016, 2017 has been quite quiet. Mike Groh replacing Greg Lewis as receivers coach could be significant with all the player transition there.

Decisive schedule span: Strange schedule. Three-game homestand (Weeks 7 through 9), three-game road trip (Weeks 13 through 15). The first four weeks will be the most telling: at Washington, at Kansas City, Giants at home, at Chargers.

Why I have the Eagles 23rd: So many things about this team I like right now, including the drafting of cornerback Sidney Jones in the second round though he’s coming off Achilles surgery in March, and no one knows if he’ll play this year or at what level. This franchise is being built for the long term, with smart two-year pieces like Chris Long plugging temp holes.

On offense, Carson Wentz will have more help from a motivated Alshon Jeffery and deep threat Torrey Smith, and Wentz has to progress or the whole program is in trouble. The defense will miss Bennie Logan, and the secondary had better hope Schwartz’s front can bring some pressure; the corners can be attacked. But improvement from Wentz is the key.

Most important factor to this team this year: The development of Carson Wentz. It’s paramount to everything this franchise has done since Chip Kelly got whacked a year and a half ago. After a strong start last year, Wentz was less than mediocre (last 12 games: nine touchdowns, 13 picks) for the final three months of the season. The Eagles are convinced he’s better than that. Time to show that what EVP of football operations Howie Roseman paid for Wentz was worth it.

Eagles prediction of 10 words of less: Daunting December slate knocks Eagles out of playoffs.

24. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

mmqb-jackdoyle.jpg

Colts tight end Jack Doyle
Photo: Ronald C. Modra/Getty Images

Additions: FS Malik Hooker came in the first round; the Colts were desperate for a physical game-changer in the back end … Otherwise, the adds were mostly meat-and-potatoes: LB Jabaal Sheard and DT Johnathan Hankins on the front seven in free agency, and well-liked third-round pass-rusher Tarell Basham. No big newbies on offense, but TE Jack Doyle, in an upset, was signed to a rich deal.

Subtractions: TE Dwayne Allen was dealt to New England … On defense, Arthur Jones, D’Qwell Jackson, Robert Mathis and Mike Adams either retired or were let go.

Key coaching/front-office moves: Chris Ballard came in as GM and brought a remade scouting staff. Out: Ryan Grigson and director of college scouting T.J. McCreight, who was replaced with Morocco Brown. Rex Hogan and Ed Dodds will share the vice president of player personnel job; Dodds was a major influence on personnel decisions under John Schneider in Seattle. Ballard believes in developing from within, having strong drafts and not being inordinately reliant on free agency.

Decisive schedule span: Weeks 6 through 9: at Tennessee, Jacksonville, at Cincinnati, at Houston. Four winnable games that could set up the Colts for a second-half playoff run, particularly after having Cleveland and San Francisco at home in the first five weeks.

Why I have the Colts 24th: I like Ballard, and when a new GM takes over, you’ve got to show some faith in his roster evaluation. The most interesting thing Ballard did is stay status quo with the offensive line, which could have the same starting five that ended the 2016 season—in a very disappointing way.

The five projected starters for the Colts this year were rated as mediocre by Pro Football Focusin 2016: Anthony Castonzo and Joe Haeg 15th and 39th, respectively, at tackle, Jack Mewhort and Denzelle Good 25th and 68th, respectively, at guard, and Ryan Kelly 19th at center. Ballard says he likes the line Grigson assembled more than the critics do, so we’ll see.

I make this point because Andrew Luck has been hurt more than most quarterbacks, and he’s a pocket player, and if he continues to get hit the way he has, this team is going to struggle.

Most important factor to this team this year: The Colts need to develop some difference-makers on defense. Hooker’s a start. But there’s not the difference-making rusher, nor is there the sideline-to-sideline play-making linebacker. It’s a vital year for the defense to rise up and support Luck.

Colts prediction of 10 words or less: Poor offensive line, pass rush. Wait until ’18.

25. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

mmqb-joeybosa.jpg

Chargers pass-rusher Joey Bosa
Photo: Rob Leiter/Getty Images

Additions: It doesn’t count technically as an addition, but Keenan Allen is back after missing 95 percent of 2016. Pairing him with first-round rookie wideout Mike Williams should make San Diego’s offense dangerous … Second- and third-round picks Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney will get chances to play guard, and soon, on a bad line … Russell Okung for big money at left tackle? Not what I would have done. Desperate times called for desperate measures, I guess.

Subtractions: The massive King Dunlap never played as big as his size and is gone at LT … Danny Woodhead follows Darren Sproles out the door as another incredibly favored Philip Rivers weapon … Manti Te’o never lived up to the sideline-to-sideline billing in the heart of the Chargers D and left for the Saints. Not a big loss.

Key coaching/front-office moves: Head coach Anthony Lynn is a leap of faith for Dean Spanos, but those in the league who know Lynn—after a career of mostly coaching running backs—think he’s got a chance to be good because he’s an ex-player “who’s got a ‘today’s player’ attitude to the game,” Bills guard Richie Incognito said last year.

In an odd situation like practicing this spring in San Diego, having camp in Costa Mesa this summer and playing in a bandbox in Carson in the fall, that’s crucial … Gus Bradley is back running a defense, which is probably a good move for him after a nightmarish four years as head coach in Jacksonville.

Decisive schedule span: Weeks 2 through 4. The Chargers play three straight home games (Miami, Kansas City, Philly) in their 30,000-seat mini-stadium south of L.A. You don’t want your season over on Oct. 1, so the Chargers need to adjust to the weirdness in their lives pretty quickly.

Why I have the Chargers 25th: I love the edge-rush combo of Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa; this should be a 24-sack duo if healthy. I love the aerial combination of Philip Rivers and Keenan Allen (who can be first-team All-Pro—he’s that good); they are a top-five combination if healthy. But three things make me think 6-10 for this team.

One: I don’t like the offensive line; Gordon will be lucky to average 3.8 yards per carry this year, and Rivers will get hit more than his share. Two: Oakland, Denver and Kansas City are all potential playoff teams; San Diego could go 1-5 in the division and it wouldn’t be that surprising. (Road trips to play the Giants, Patriots and Cowboys hurt too.)

Three: The Rams found the mayhem of multiple homes last year—in minicamp, training camp and the regular season—quite sapping. That’ll be a big challenge for Lynn with this team.

Most important factor to this team this year: The health of Ingram and Bosa. Why? Because they could be, in tandem, the most lethal set of pass-rushers on any team in football. And with Rivers being a solid rock, a fearsome defensive front will give the Chargers a chance in every game they play.

Chargers prediction of 10 words or less: Living out of suitcases kills a promising team. For now.

26. BUFFALO BILLS

mmqb-jerryhughes.jpg

Bills pass-rusher Jerry Hughes
Photo: Joe Robbins/Getty Images

Additions: Rookie wideout Zay Jones might push disappointing (injuries a factor, of course) Sammy Watkins to a higher level. No question the speedy and sure-handed Jones will get his chance to star early … Second-rounder Dion Dawkins could start at right tackle … First-rounder Tre’Davious White should start opening day alongside Ronald Darby at corner and give Buffalo a competitive cover unit …

The contract for quarterback Tyrod Taylor (two years, $30.5 million) is a smart hedge against the future … Micah Hyde comes from Green Bay as a versatile secondary man … For some reason, the Bills gave a slumping kicker, Steve Hauschka, three years and $8.85 million.

Subtractions: One ace blocker out at fullback (Jerome Felton) for another (Patrick DiMarco) … Stephon Gilmore was lost as the top corner, and lost to the hated Patriots … Inside ’backer Zach Brown, a tackling machine, moved to Washington … Rex Ryan’s 3-4 defense. The Bills will revert to the 4-3 under Sean McDermott and defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

Key coach/front-office moves: The whole place is new, as I detailed in the column last week. Since Bill Belichick took over as New England’s coach and franchise architect in 2000, Sean McDermott is the ninth Bills head coach and Brandon Beane the seventh GM/drafter …

Good hire by Beane, getting highly respected (and likely future GM somewhere) VP of Player Personnel Brian Gaine out of Houston … Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison will be huge in coaching Tyrod Taylor, whose success or failure will be Dennison’s too … Juan Castillo was hired from the Ravens to be run-game coordinator.

Decisive schedule span: Weeks 2 through 4, against three of the four teams in the Super Bowl in the past two years. Not a friendly slate. Buffalo’s at Carolina, has Denver at home, and plays at Atlanta. Can the Bills be competitive? We’ll know soon enough. They don’t play New England until Weeks 13 and 16.

Why I have the Bills 26th: Basically because I don’t know who the Bills are. After being fourth in team defense in 2014 under Jim Schwartz, Rex Ryan’s unit got avalanched the past two seasons, finishing 19th twice with uglier analytics measurables than that. The pass-rush stinks. For a slithery escape artist, Jerry Hughes, to have 12 sacks over the past two seasons—way unproductive. So McDermott has his hands full, plus he has lost a good corner, Gilmore.

However, the Bills probably did the right thing in blowing up the place. GM Doug Whaley made bold but ultimately bad moves (trading two ones for Watkins most notably). Ryan’s heart wasn’t into a rebuild. That’s why almost everything this year with the Bills ought to be viewed through a 2018-20 prism. This has to be a growth stock. For the 18th straight year they won’t make the playoffs, but if the coach and GM and QB exit the year as good buys, that’s progress.

Most important factor to the team this year: Is Tyrod Taylor the quarterback of the future? McDermott and Beane danced around that with me last week, but we should know by Thanksgiving.

Bills prediction of 10 words or less: Taylor proves he’s the man in a 6-10 year.

27. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

mmqb-jalenramsey.jpg

Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey
Photo: Don Juan Moore/Getty Images

Additions: Two significant ones on offense—Leonard Fournette with the fourth overall pick, and either Branden Albert or second-rounder Cam Robinson starting at left tackle … Calais Campbell up front and A.J. Bouye at corner, with two of the biggest free-agency contracts of the year … Underrated acquisition on the free market: physical and instinctive safety Barry Church, from Dallas.

Subtractions: The supposed tight end of the future, Julius Thomas, essentially got dealt to Miami for another disappointment, Albert … Overrated LT Kelvin Beachum went to the Jets … Four defensive starters got whacked: DE Jared Odrick, LB Dan Skuta and DBs Jonathan Cyprien and Davon House.

Key coaching/front-office moves: Tom Coughlin came in as franchise overlord, putting training wheels back on GM Dave Caldwell, who couldn’t have been happy with it. But it’s hard to argue against big change when you’re 15-49 in four seasons in charge.

That’s Caldwell’s record … Doug Marrone is fortunate to have a second chance after how his tenure in Buffalo ended in the debacle of him choosing to leave. This is a good team to take a shot with—except for the offensive line and, apparently, the quarterback.

Decisive schedule span: The five games after Jacksonville’s Week 8 bye: Bengals, Chargers, at Browns, at Cards, Colts. If Jacksonville is at least 3-4 against a mediocre early slate, they could pull the impossible with a good showing in those five weeks. They could be in contention after Thanksgiving.

Why I have the Jaguars 27th: Jacksonville is like the old Washington team in the early Dan Snyder years, winning free-agency every year. Lots of money spent for lots of bad teams. If I’m Shad Khan, I’m getting damn impatient. Every year, I give Dave Caldwell and the coaching staff everything they ask for, and every year the product stinks.

That’s why this is such a big year for Bortles (a Caldwell pick all the way) and for Caldwell. It’ll be interesting to see the influence of Coughlin—and if the Jags pull another stinker this year, whether Coughlin in 2018 becomes the coach or GM or both. For now, this is a team that should try to win running the ball with Fournette and Ivory, and by playing strong defense.

Bouye and 2016 first-rounder Jalen Ramsey are an excellent young cover tandem, and Campbell should buttress a burgeoning front seven. Then again, I talked very optimistically about the Jags last off-season too. At some point, talk becomes cheap.

Most important factor to this team this year: Deciding on Bortles. Four years is time enough. You just don’t get a great vibe on the guy right now. It’ll be an upset if he becomes the Jags’ long-term quarterback.

Jaguars prediction of 10 words or less: In a 5-11 year, Fournette leads AFC in rushing.

28. CHICAGO BEARS

mmqb-jordanhoward.jpg

Bears running back Jordan Howard
Photo: Joe Robbins/Getty Images

Additions: Free-agent signing Mike Glennon is grinding his teeth over the drafting of QB Mitchell Trubisky (second pick in the draft), and he has one season to stake his claim for the job. (I wouldn’t be optimistic in the Glennon household.) … The secondary got three respectable adds in corners Prince Amukamara (third team in 18 months) and Marcus Cooper and safety Quintin Demps … Second-round tight end Adam Shaheen will step in early in a prominent offensive role.

Subtractions: The starting quarterbacks from 2016—Jay Cutler and Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley—were all let go, an odd development for a team that retains the same coach, offensive coordinator and GM … WR Alshon Jeffery and CB Tracy Porter are a couple of boldface names gone too … Failed first-round corner Kyle Fuller didn’t have his fifth-year option picked up; he could be in danger of not making the team this summer.

Key coaching/front-office moves: Two assistants in the John Fox stable since he coached in Carolina—offensive line coach Dave Magazu and assistant secondary coach Sam Garnes, as well as running backs coach Stan Drayton—are out. In: Jeremiah Washburn (OL), Curtis Modkins (RB), Roy Anderson (secondary).

Decisive schedule span: The first quarter of the season—Atlanta, at Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, at Green Bay—is not favorable for a team with a new quarterback and a coach in desperate need of a rebound season.

Why I have the Bears 28th: The Bears went 1-7 in their last eight games in 2016. Not sure they’re a lot better. If so, it’ll come from improvements in the secondary and the quarterback facelift and a couple of valuable players coming off IR. The respected defensive coordinator, Vic Fangio, oversaw a unit that gave up 30, 41 and 38 points in its past three games, and the defense must see Leonard Floyd at the center of a significantly improved pass rush.

He needs to double his seven rookie-year sacks for the Chicago defense to start scaring anyone. At quarterback, I don’t just assume that Glennon/Trubisky will automatically be better than what Chicago had last year. Thankfully, running back Jordan Howard came out of nowhere (the 2015 fifth round) to gain 1,313 yards, to rank a stunning second in the NFL.

It’s vital he doesn’t have a sophomore slump. In short, I can’t see the Bears being .500 unless one of the quarterbacks emerges as a top 20 passer by early in the season.

Most important factor to this team this year: Of course it’s the quarterback race between Glennon and Trubisky. That one’s too obvious. There’s another one. Kevin White was the seventh pick of the 2015 draft. In two years, he’s played four of 32 games, caught zero touchdown passes, and had zero impact. This is the year the Bears have to see some degree of explosiveness and/or competence out of a player drafted ahead of Vic Beasley, Melvin Gordon and Marcus Peters.

Bears prediction of 10 words or less: Trubisky is the quarterback by Thanksgiving. It doesn’t matter.

29. LOS ANGELES RAMS

mmqb-jaredgoff.jpg

Rams quarterback Jared Goff
Photo: Michael Zagaris/Getty Images

Additions: Quite a few. The best two: LT Andrew Whitworth (Cincinnati) and edge defender Connor Barwin (Philadelphia) in free agency … Rams hope Whitworth (36 in December) and vet C John Sullivan can give a beleaguered line two quality seasons, at least … WR Robert Woods (Buffalo) is likely just roster filler … Rams are very high on second- and third-round picks, TE Gerald Everett and glue-fingered WR Cooper Kupp.

Subtractions: The Rams have lost 159 receptions and 10 touchdowns from Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Lance Kendricks, all gone (kicked out the door?) in free agency … With Case Keenum gone, either Sean Mannion or Aaron Murray had better be good enough to back up Jared Goff … DE William Hayes was dealt to Miami. Hayes-for-Barwin is probably an even swap.

Key coaching/front-office moves: A new head coach, Sean McVay, is change enough, but how about importing a totally different approach on defense, with folksy Wade Phillips brought in to replace one of the hardest-edged coaches in the league, Gregg Williams, at defensive coordinator …

New offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur’s unproven and mostly unknown, but look for McVay to handle most of the heavy lifting on offense … Mildly surprising: Owner Stan Kroenke and COO Kevin Demoff chose to keep GM Les Snead. Everett and Kupp need to be good in year one to help Snead’s long-term architecture chances here.

Decisive schedule span: Three-game September stretch. The Rams have to start 2-1 at worst against Indianapolis (home), Washington (home) and San Francisco (away), or this is going to be a long year.

Why I have the Rams 29th: A combination of two things: the youngest head coach in NFL history (McVay is 31) learning on the job, and the total unknown that is Jared Goff. I remember when I was talking to one veteran front-office man about what he’d do if the Rams offered him the job as long-term architect. “Trade Goff and start over at quarterback,” he said.

The best thing for Goff, though, is a young and energetic coach like McVay who has bought into making him a good player. We’ll see if McVay can. I’m bullish on McVay’s overall chances because coaches like Mike Tomlin believe so strongly in his youthful intelligence.

But transitioning so many green players—Goff, Everett, Kupp—to be really good early is problematic. The best thing that can happen to the Rams this year is riding a strong defense to a few wins while developing Goff for 2018 and beyond.

Most important factor to this team this year: Finding out if Goff can play, pure and simple. Imagine if he has a 2016 Blake Bortles kind of year, a truly disappointing one, and the Rams exit 2017 with major questions about Goff.

And imagine if Washington doesn’t franchise-tag Kirk Cousins next winter. That just might put two California teams with coaches who love Cousins, the Rams and Niners (Kyle Shanahan), in the business of fighting over Cousins in free agency.

Rams prediction of 10 words or less: A Goff implosion more likely than Goff winning six games.

30. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

mmqb-reubenfoster.jpg

Niners linebacker Reuben Foster
Photo: Jeff Chiu/AP

Additions: A slew on either side of the ball: WRs Pierre Garcon (Washington) and Marquise Goodwin (Buffalo), C Jeremy Zuttah (Baltimore), QB Brian Hoyer (Chicago), FB Kyle Jusczyk (Baltimore) on offense … On defense, first-round picks Solomon Thomas (DL) and Reuben Foster (LB) arrived, as did DT Earl Mitchell (Miami) and OLB Malcolm Smith (Oakland).

Subtractions: WR Torrey Smith left for Philadelphia, QB Colin Kaepernick left for a New York City workout facility (he is unemployed as of today), and a trio of defenders (Glenn Dorsey, Tramaine Brock and Antoine Bethea) have departed.

Key coach/front-office moves: New head coach/offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and defensive coordinator Robert Saleh lead a new staff. (Interesting side note: the defensive quality control coach is first-year NFL assistant DeMeco Ryans. Not often that a two-time Pro Bowl and former high draft choice does the grunt work of a quality-control coach.)

Off the field: GM John Lynch goes from the TV booth to learning everything about franchise architecture, and VP of player personnel Adam Peters and shadow GM Martin Mayhew were imported from the Broncos and Giants, respectively, to smooth Lynch’s path.

Decisive schedule span: Overall, the schedule is absurdly difficult for a team under construction—nine of 10 foes before the bye (Week 2: Rams) are legitimate playoff contenders. But let’s take a road trip in Weeks 4 through 6: at Arizona, at Indianapolis, at Washington. At Carson Palmer, Andrew Luck, Kirk Cousins. Pretty tough.

Why I have the 49ers 30th: Read the previous paragraph. If Vegas set the odds right now, it’s likely the only games the Niners may be favored are Week 3 at home with the Rams, and Week 16 at home with Jacksonville. That’s only part of the reason why this looks like a three- or four-win season … and only that good because Kyle Shanahan is good at game-planning, and because Brian Hoyer’s not going to be hopeless at quarterback.

The 49ers are very clear about what this season is, and have been since Shanahan and Lynch got twin six-year contracts (unprecedentedly long deals for two first-timers) from CEO Jed York to rebuild a woebegone franchise.

So this year will be about seeing that three young and gifted defensive linemen (DeForest Buckner, Arik Armstead, Solomon Thomas) can play in tandem, that Foster can be the defensive centerpiece, and that a rookie offensive weapon, fourth-round running back Joe Williams, can be one-half of a rushing tandem with Carlos Hyde. It’s a year of growth, not one of contention.

Most important factor to this team this year: Whether Reuben Foster can be healthy enough (he’s recovering from a surgically repaired shoulder that scared off some teams leading up to the draft) and mature enough to be exactly what the Niners drafted him to be: a instinctive tackling machine at the center of their defense for the next eight to 10 years.

49ers prediction of 10 words or less: Niners chase Cousins after predictably crappy season.

31. CLEVELAND BROWNS

mmqb-codykessler.jpg

Browns quarterback Cody Kessler
Photo: Ron Schwane/AP

Additions: The offensive line is 40 percent new—G Kevin Zeitler (Cincinnati) and center J.C. Tretter are upgrades. Zeitler, in particular, is a top-level guard with some fight to him … WR Kenny Britt will be a vertical threat, but he’s not a premier player … Brock Osweiler and DeShone Kizer bring weirdness to the QB depth chart … The draft delivered two players who should contribute on opening day: pass-rusher Myles Garrett and safety/linebacker/returner Jabrill Peppers.

Subtractions: Browns continued to lose valuable pieces in the off-season, when a contract tiff led to WR Terrelle Pryor signing with Washington … WR Andrew Hawkins, TE Gary Barnidge, QB Josh McCown and T Austin Pasztor all departed.

Key coaching/front-office moves: Ray Horton out as the coordinator of the 31st-ranked NFL defense, Gregg Williams in (yet another iteration of a strange but impactful career). “We want to see the Browns be different than they’ve ever been,” coach Hue Jackson said, and that will start with a chippier defense.

Decisive schedule span: First three weeks—vs. Pittsburgh, at Baltimore, at Indianapolis. With an 0-3 start, it’s time to play for Sam Darnold. If the Browns steal one or two, that’ll give this franchise hope for a six-win season, not two.

Why I have the Browns 31st: In 14 draft rounds over the past two years, the Browns have made a league-high 24 picks, and so it’s impossible to judge how those players, particularly with a new defensive look and a unsettled quarterback depth chart, will play. Progress for the Browns would be 5-11 and exiting this season having some idea if Kizer or Cody Kessler (who will get the long first shot to play quarterback) is good enough to prevent GM Sashi Brown from re-entering the quarterback market next year.

Two things I see as reasons Cleveland will be at least slightly improved from the team with 18 double-digit losses in the past two years: The Zeitler-infused offensive line is improved—thank God the Browns haven’t traded franchise left tackle Joe Thomas—and Williams will help make the defense a difficult Sunday for foes all season. Progress is what this franchise needs.

Most important factor to this team this year: DeShone Kizer. Can he play? Will he get a chance to show Jackson and GM Sashi Brown they shouldn’t make a big play for Jimmy Garoppolo or the next great college quarterback next spring?

Browns prediction of 10 words or less: Thoughts of Garoppolo dance through Hue’s head after three wins.

32. NEW YORK JETS

mmqb-quincyenunwa.jpg

Jets wide receiver Quincy Enunwa
Photo: Jerome Davis/Getty Images

Additions: QB Josh McCown, 37, joined his 10th NFL team … T Kelvin Beachum (Steelers, Jags, Jets) on his third team in 18 months … CB Morris Claiborne (Dallas) will replace Darrelle Revis … Rookie S Jamal Adams should start opening day.

Subtractions: WR Brandon Marshall, 33, takes his 2,290 receiving yards in the past two years to the Giants … CB Darrelle Revis sunk like a stone last year, got released, and is still unemployed … QB Ryan Fitzpatrick vanished, as did 40 percent of the OL: C Nick Mangold, T Breno Giacomini.

Key coaching/front-office moves: John Morton (Saints WR coach) replaces Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator … Hall of Famer Kevin Greene replaces Mark Collins as OLB coach.

Decisive schedule span: Weeks 3 through 5—vs. Miami, vs. Jacksonville, at Cleveland. The season’s over if the Jets can’t win at least two of those. Here’s why: Jets could open 0-2 (at Bills and Raiders). Then, starting in Week 6, New York has the Patriots, Dolphins and Falcons in succession.

Why I have the Jets 32nd: The Jets look like a team tanking for one of the top QB prospects in 2018. As valuable to a team as he is as a player/coach, Josh McCown’s at the end, and he will legitimately compete for playing time with Bryce Petty and the passer drafted to be the quarterback of the future in 2016, Christian Hackenberg. The ace rusher, Matt Forte, turns 32 this year and is coming off a 3.7-yards-per-rush season.

Tight end is a wasteland. There’s a very good receiver being hatched, Quincy Enunwa, but will he be able to get the ball enough from the passers? Imagine being new offensive coordinator John Morton; you have to be aware you’ll be judged on the performance of this offense in the future, and you have to be aware that if the team goes 2-14, the whole staff could get wiped out. Tough assignment. On defense, two things disturb me:

How can a team with this talent have given up the fifth-most points in football last year? And will a player as good as Muhammad Wilkerson (granted with ankle and knee problems for part of 2016) who played so poorly last year rebound? I’m skeptical the defense will turn back into the force it once was, even with the draft-weekend additions of Adams and Marcus Maye on the back end.

Most important factor to this team this year: Whether the Jets can get average quarterbacking out of the question-filled passing mélange they’ll field. Obviously, I have my doubts.

Jets prediction of 10 words or less: He won’t deserve it, but Bowles gets whacked in January.

It seemed almost flippant last week, when the Patriots let LeGarrette Blount and his 18 rushing touchdowns in the Patriots’ Super Bowl season leave for Philadelphia. In the past 16 years, New England has won five Super Bowls … and had five different backs exceed 1,000 rushing yards in a season.

• In 2001, the Patriots signed Antowain Smith, who rushed for 1,157 and 12 touchdowns that season, and the Patriots won the Super Bowl.

• In 2003, Smith rushed for 642 yards and the Patriots won the Super Bowl.

• In 2004, the Patriots signed Corey Dillon, who rushed for 1,635 yards and 12 touchdowns, and New England won the Super Bowl.

• In 2007, Laurence Maroney led the Patriots with 835 rushing yards and six touchdowns, and the Patriots lost the Super Bowl to the Giants.

• In 2011, BenJarvus Green-Ellis rushed for a team-high 667 yards; the Patriots again lost the Super Bowl to the Giants.

• In 2014, Jonas Gray led the Patriots with a measly 412 yards rushing, and New England won the Super Bowl.

• In 2016, Blount rushed for 1,161 yards and 18 touchdowns, and the Patriots won the Super Bowl again.

Seven Super Bowl appearances in the Bill Belichick era, and in four of those years the Patriots didn’t have a rusher in the top 20 of the NFL.

The 2017 Patriots will use some combination of Mike Gillislee, James White, Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead and James Develin. Judging on the past, they’ll be just fine.

One last note on the vagaries of the running game in the NFL, and in New England: In the 2016 postseason, Blount grinded out 35 rushes for just 109 yards, and the Patriots scored 34, 36 and 34 points in three playoff games.

It’s probably fair to say the Patriots don’t worry too much about who leads their running game each year, because they’ve had nine different team rushing leaders in Belichick’s 17 seasons as coach—and it never seems to matter much who it is.

Factoid That May Interest Only Me

New head coaches this season: six.

New coordinators this season: 21.

That’s a lot. New coordinators:

OFFENSE (10)—Steve Sarkisian (Atlanta), Rick Dennison (Buffalo), Hue Jackson (Cleveland), Mike McCoy (Denver), Bill O’Brien (Houston), Matt LaFleur (Rams), Todd Downing (Oakland), John Morton (New York Jets), Kyle Shanahan (San Francisco), Matt Cavanaugh (Washington).

DEFENSE (11)—Marquand Manuel (Atlanta), Leslie Frazier (Buffalo), Steve Wilks (Carolina), Gregg Williams (Cleveland), Joe Woods (Denver), Mike Vrabel (Houston), Wade Phillips (Rams), Matt Burke (Miami), Gus Bradley (San Diego), Robert Saleh (San Francisco), Greg Manusky (Washington).

Pod People

My guests this week: NFL vice president for international development Mark Waller, and a King-Albert Breer debate on the fate of Colin Kaepernick.

Waller and I talked about many things—whether a team could be successful on an island in Europe long-term, and whether ideas such as mine of having that team play consistent two- and three-game road trips and homestands to minimize the effect of travel on players would be a factor in making it work.

• Waller: “I only have one doubt left, and that is: Could a team play in London, year in, year out, and be competitive enough to be a realistic contender for the Super Bowl on an ongoing basis? It's that sustainability of competitiveness, given the incremental travel that would be required for any team that was London-based. And ultimately, sustainability of competitiveness is what makes our league unique. Every year, all 32 sets of fans believe that their team in that year can be competitive.

“I think your scheduling framework is spot on. … Finding replacement players for injuries is one [issue] that needs solving. You would have two centers of gravity—a base in London, but you also would have a training facility somewhere on the East Coast so that you knew when you went over for your three-week road trip in the States, you had somewhere to be based at and keep coaching staff and backup staff.

There's a cost component to that, that's obviously more expensive than running any other team. No other team would have to cope with the travel expenses or second facility expenses. So we'd have to solve that, I believe in some form of the CBA [negotiations in 2020], because there is also a player component and a working condition component to that. I don't think there is anything insurmountable. As you look at the issues, the issues that we identify have a solution to them. How we prove them out is the hard bit.”

Things I Think I Think

1. I think this is where we are on the Tom Brady concussion situation: His wife, Gisele Bündchen, told CBS that Brady suffered a concussion last year. The league checked with the Patriots, who did not document a concussion for Brady last season. On Friday, Brady’s agent, Don Yee, told Adam Schefter that Brady was not diagnosed with a concussion last season. Some thoughts:

• Yee said in his statement, “Tom was not diagnosed with a concussion last year.” That does not mean he did not suffer a concussion last year.

• What if Brady suffered a concussion in the Super Bowl? I have zero evidence that he did. But my point is this: If a player suffers an injury in the Super Bowl, his team does not have to announce it or acknowledge it, and a player who may have had a concussion in his team’s last game of the season—unless it is spotted by a medical official on the sideline—could get away with not reporting it.

• Having said that, it’s hard to fathom Brady suffering a concussion as he led the Patriots back from a 25-point second-half deficit to the biggest comeback victory in Super Bowl history. Interesting how other quarterbacks see concussions, and the new emphasis on players self-reporting concussions or suspected concussions on the field. As Drew Brees told me last fall on my podcast: “Honestly I don’t think I would. I would not self-report.”

• But Ben Roethlisberger did just that for Pittsburgh in a November 2015 game at Seattle. With three minutes left in a 39-30 loss, Roethlisberger complained of issues with his peripheral vision, and he was removed from the game and went for a locker-room exam. “I'm proud of it,” Roethlisberger told me, also for my podcast. “I have been just like Drew [Brees] where I haven’t reported things before either. Probably everybody who has ever played the game of football hasn't reported an injury.

For me it wasn't about an injury—I’ve played through many injuries—but when you talk about your head, that is a different ball game. You can replace a lot of body parts, but you can’t replace a brain. You see the effects of it from past players, players who have taken their lives, the CTE, all that stuff and, you know, I’m thinking about my family and long term.

I love this game and I love my brothers that I play football with, and I would encourage any player who has an issue with their brain to just report it properly … We are blessed to play this game but we also have a life to live.”

• Interesting note from Roethlisberger: Probably everybody who has ever played the game of football hasn’t reported an injury. I don’t doubt for a moment that Brady has held back talking to his team and his medical staff about some injury information over time. I do not know the truth here, but I do know I would not be surprised if Brady has played with an undiagnosed concussion. And in this era of caution about head trauma, I would be surprised if the Patriots buried one.

2. I think the Rams have to be sincerely disappointed that they’ll end up playing four seasons in the Los Angeles Coliseum before moving into their new palace in 2020. But …

3. I think the Chargers have to be crushed about playing three seasons in a 30,000-seat soccer venue. It’s like asking a big-league baseball team to play in a Triple-A ballpark for three years. Imagine if you’re a Charger … Two years already felt like a stretch. Now three?

Not only are you going to have to adapt to playing in a smaller park with fewer fans and quite possibly some games with the visiting team having more support, but now you’re going to feel like you’re living out of a suitcase for three years.

I mean, it’s no one’s fault that winter deluges in Southern California pushed the opening back a year. But it does neither team any favors. Three years is a career for many players. The 2020 season will be Keenan Allen’s eighth in the NFL; will he even be a Charger then? Melvin Ingram, their franchise pass-rusher, will be in his ninth season. Somewhere. That’s a long time to be transient.

4. I think one last point to make, and one I didn’t see in any press release about this unfortunate turn, is whither Philip Rivers? He turns 39 during the 2020 season. So it’s entirely possible Rivers will never take a snap in the next Rams/Chargers stadium. There is certainly no guarantee he’ll be playing football at 39.

5. I think we’re now almost at the end of month four of the off-season, with no comment from Colin Kaepernick on his desire to continue playing football. Talk, man. Talk.

6. I think I was impressed with free-agent wideout Andrew Hawkins’ approach to education and career in Kalyn Kahler’s story for The MMQB last week. The 31-year-old Hawkins (he’s a free-agent after spending last year with the Browns) just graduated from Columbia with a master’s degree in sports management. He told Kahler that before he dreamed of being a football player, he dreamed of being a football GM.

If you’ve ever talked to him, you know how bright and how driven he is. He wrote a 35-page paper on the history and future of analytics in pro football as part of his master’s work. Summing up: “Relying completely on analytics, that is just as bad as relying on no analytics. My overall summary was that you have to have a balance.”

7. I think the most boring stories this time of year are about rookies signing their contracts. The only time rookie contract stuff is notable is when it gets to late June and a draft pick hasn’t signed. They’re all formulaic now, with only the very fine print negotiable.

8. I think I’d love someone in the Doug Whaley administration to explain to me why the Bills paid a lapsing kicker, Steven Hauschka, $4 million guaranteed in a three-year deal averaging $2.95 million a season. Sheesh. The guy missed 10 PATs in the past two years and two field goals inside the 30 last year. How does that possibly make you a better kicking team?

9. I think this was the coolest football story of the week, by Michael Cohen of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, about a football player-turned-boxer-turned-Ted Thompson adviser. Spend five minutes with this one, please.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
29. LOS ANGELES RAMS

mmqb-jaredgoff.jpg

Rams quarterback Jared Goff
Photo: Michael Zagaris/Getty Images

Additions: Quite a few. The best two: LT Andrew Whitworth (Cincinnati) and edge defender Connor Barwin (Philadelphia) in free agency … Rams hope Whitworth (36 in December) and vet C John Sullivan can give a beleaguered line two quality seasons, at least … WR Robert Woods (Buffalo) is likely just roster filler … Rams are very high on second- and third-round picks, TE Gerald Everett and glue-fingered WR Cooper Kupp.

Subtractions: The Rams have lost 159 receptions and 10 touchdowns from Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Lance Kendricks, all gone (kicked out the door?) in free agency … With Case Keenum gone, either Sean Mannion or Aaron Murray had better be good enough to back up Jared Goff … DE William Hayes was dealt to Miami. Hayes-for-Barwin is probably an even swap.

Key coaching/front-office moves: A new head coach, Sean McVay, is change enough, but how about importing a totally different approach on defense, with folksy Wade Phillips brought in to replace one of the hardest-edged coaches in the league, Gregg Williams, at defensive coordinator …

New offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur’s unproven and mostly unknown, but look for McVay to handle most of the heavy lifting on offense … Mildly surprising: Owner Stan Kroenke and COO Kevin Demoff chose to keep GM Les Snead. Everett and Kupp need to be good in year one to help Snead’s long-term architecture chances here.

Decisive schedule span: Three-game September stretch. The Rams have to start 2-1 at worst against Indianapolis (home), Washington (home) and San Francisco (away), or this is going to be a long year.

Why I have the Rams 29th: A combination of two things: the youngest head coach in NFL history (McVay is 31) learning on the job, and the total unknown that is Jared Goff. I remember when I was talking to one veteran front-office man about what he’d do if the Rams offered him the job as long-term architect. “Trade Goff and start over at quarterback,” he said.

The best thing for Goff, though, is a young and energetic coach like McVay who has bought into making him a good player. We’ll see if McVay can. I’m bullish on McVay’s overall chances because coaches like Mike Tomlin believe so strongly in his youthful intelligence.

But transitioning so many green players—Goff, Everett, Kupp—to be really good early is problematic. The best thing that can happen to the Rams this year is riding a strong defense to a few wins while developing Goff for 2018 and beyond.

Most important factor to this team this year: Finding out if Goff can play, pure and simple. Imagine if he has a 2016 Blake Bortles kind of year, a truly disappointing one, and the Rams exit 2017 with major questions about Goff.

And imagine if Washington doesn’t franchise-tag Kirk Cousins next winter. That just might put two California teams with coaches who love Cousins, the Rams and Niners (Kyle Shanahan), in the business of fighting over Cousins in free agency.

Rams prediction of 10 words or less: A Goff implosion more likely than Goff winning six games.
My reaction to King in 10 letters or less: FU P K!!

Finger Monkey.gif

The Jag's and Bears ahead of the Rams!?!:rolllaugh:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The Rams will NOT be the 29th best team this year.

That's just ridiculous, man. WTF?

Somebody's ignoring a helluva lot of change on the Rams since last January. And all of it seems to be for the better.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
"I’m bullish on McVay’s overall chances because coaches like Mike Tomlin believe so strongly in his youthful intelligence."

Best news I've heard about a Ram's head coach since Martz.

Given the dreadful performances of the last three Rams HC's, and during the recent search, I thought it would have been a good idea to just pay the Steelers front office to make some recommendations for the Ram's Head Coaching position.

The Steelers are an organization that knows what it takes to win.

McVay's addressing of the crucial LT position, along with his asute selection of assistant coaches, gives credence to Tomlin's belief in our new coach.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Given the dreadful performances of the last three Rams HC's, and during the recent search, I thought it would have been a good idea to just pay the Steelers front office to make some recommendations for the Ram's Head Coaching position.

On the other hand, Snead and Fisher mentioned that they would build the team according to the Patriots model and that hasn't worked out too well.

Instead of copying another franchise, how about this instead? Use some common sense.

1) Build the O-line first before signing your "franchise QB."

2) Don't throw huge cap money at aged, injury prone, underachieving players.

3) Don't sign players or hire coaches from teams you used to work for because you're comfortable with them.

4) Don't try to be best buddies with your players. Familiarity breeds contempt.

5) Hire coaches who have a proven record of doing their specific job well.

6) Draft players who are intelligent and who love the game instead of "freak athletes" who blow you away at the Combine and on Pro days.

I could go on and on with this list but you get the point. So far, for the most part, McVay and Snead are doing things right. We shall see how that works out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"With Case Keenum gone, either Sean Mannion or Aaron Murray had better be good enough to back up Jared Goff"
Pretty on top of roster moves eh?
Murray was waived over a week ago

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Damn...we're down there with the Browns and 9ers....Sheesh!

I guess we gotta show them....but Damn

SF & Jags appear to be playing for Darnold....Suck for Sam...Damned or Darnold....

I think the Jags and Browns will surprise some people...

I'm not the only guy wondering what the hell does Woods add to this team?

And I gotta read this on the opening of OTA's???

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I like articles about the Rams that don't mention the best defensive player in the NFL....

It's brave of you hacks not to mention #99 Aaron Donald

Memphis Ram

Legend
A combination of two things: the youngest head coach in NFL history (McVay is 31) learning on the job, and the total unknown that is Jared Goff. I remember when I was talking to one veteran front-office man about what he’d do if the Rams offered him the job as long-term architect. “Trade Goff and start over at quarterback,” he said.

th

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion
And to think I used to like Peter Kings work....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Here's Part 2 of the OP article, teams #16 to #1. You can guess who Peter King placed at #1. Even if the Patriots hadn't won the Super Bowl or ended up 8-8 in 2016, he'd still put them there.

CaogEdw.gif

*********************************************************************************
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/23/nfl-power-rankings-offseason-peter-king-part-two

NFL Power Rankings, Pt. 2: Who’ll Challenge the Pats?
Sure, New England is still the team to beat, but look for some new—and surprising—contenders to push their way into the picture in 2017
By Peter King

16. Minnesota Vikings

mmqb-sam-bradford-vikings-pr.jpg

Sam Bradford

Photo: Getty Images

Additions:
Two big ones, and both running backs: Latavius Murray (free agency, Oakland) and Dalvin Cook (second round, Florida State) will modernize the running game with youth, and in Cook’s case, provide more versatility than the Vikings fielded out of the backfield … Two new starting tackles arrived: LT Riley Reiff from Detroit, RT Mike Remmers from Carolina … Backup quarterback Case Keenum’s a slight upgrade from Shaun Hill.

Subtractions: One of the great running backs of the modern game, Adrian Peterson, left for New Orleans … LB Chad Greenway retired, and OTs Matt Kalil (Minnesota) and the declining Andre Smith (Cincinnati) left in free agency.

Key coaching/front-office moves: Pretty quiet after Pat Shurmur replaced offensive coordinator Norv Turner during the 2016 season. New running backs coach Kennedy Polamalu comes from college football and will have a significant role in smoothing Cook’s transition to the pro game.

Decisive schedule span: Four of five on the road as the season winds down in Weeks 12 through 16 (at Detroit, at Atlanta, at Carolina, Cincinnati, at Green Bay). Not only are the Vikes on the road; they’re on the road against four contenders.

Why I have the Vikings 16th: Classic team that could go in either direction. If Sam Bradford flourishes in Pat Shurmur’s system, if Cook confirms his high first-round talent with an impact year, if the Vikings can build up a strong playoff résumé entering a brutal post-Thanksgiving stretch, and if young defensive stalwarts like Danielle Hunter can continue their ascension, this will be a playoff team. Big ifs, but all certainly possible.

One look in the rear-view mirror here. Kudos to GM Rick Spielman for making the tough call last Labor Day weekend and trading a 2017 first-round pick for Bradford. With the short- and long-term uncertainty surrounding Teddy Bridgewater’s knee injury (to this day), Spielman gave up what became the 14th pick in 2017 for short- and long-term insurance.

Bradford delivered in up-and-down fashion, typical of his career, but there was no passer in this draft putting up numbers like Bradford’s in 2016: 71.6 percent accuracy, 20 touchdowns to five interceptions, 99.3 rating. Having a quarterback is why the Vikings will contend.

Most important factor to this team this year: Building the kind of running game Peterson gave the Vikings for years—but had been missing two of the last three season. Cook and Murray should do that.

Vikings prediction in 10 words or less: By Halloween, Cook will be a top-five NFL back.

15. Arizona Cardinals

mmqb-david-johnson-cardinals-pr.jpg

David Johnson

Additions: Smart to focus on a pass-rusher (Haason Redick) and versatile safety (Budda Baker) with the first two draft picks. The Cardinals can worry about the quarterback next year.

Subtractions: DE Calais Campbell and S Tony Jefferson were the lone significant losses, with cornerback Marcus Cooper also gone.

Key coaching/front-office moves: None. This is the fifth year of the union of head coach, assistant head coach, defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator and special-teams coach. This is also year five that Steve Keim and Terry McDonough have been the key guys in the player-acquisition area.

Decisive schedule span: The first three weeks: at Detroit, at Indianapolis, Dallas at home. Three contenders, but none Arizona shouldn’t have a good chance to beat. And for the Cards to shrug off the ghosts of 2016, they’ve got to exit September at least 2-1.

Why I have the Cardinals 15th: I am going to plead stupid here: I have no idea where to put the Cardinals. There are quite literally two significant changes in personnel—in the front office, on the coaching staff, in the starting lineup—from last year’s 7-8-1 team to this year’s team. Last year the Cards were yo-yos: They started 3-3. They finished 3-3. After Thanksgiving, they scored 85 on the Saints and Rams; they gave up 86 to the Falcons and Saints.

And the only significant losses were a giant of the front seven—6’8”, 300-pound defensive end Calais Campbell—and versatile safety Tony Jefferson. That’s it. So even if top draftees Haason Redick and Budda Baker and a healthy Tyrann Mathieu make up for the dearly departed in impact, are the Cardinals better than the team that finished the season?

That will be the question that veteran coach Bruce Arians and 37-year-old quarterback Carson Palmer have to answer from day one. For most of 2016, this didn’t look like a team that was four quarters from the Super Bowl in 2015.

Most important factor to this team this year: This looked like a playoff defense early, but then the roof fell in at midseason (they surrendered an average of 31 points a game in a late eight-game span) and the Cards lost too many shootouts. I’d lean on David Johnson (373 touches last year) again, dominate time of possession, and have the defense on the field one possession less in 2017.

Cardinals prediction in 10 words or less: This team has a last-gasp feel to me.

14. New Orleans Saints

mmqb-drew-brees-saints-pr.jpg

Drew Brees

Additions: A bit of a revolutionary mélange of an offseason. Adrian Peterson and one of the best RB prospects to come out of the college football in a while (Alvin Kamara), and the versatile Ted Ginn, and a long-term first-round tackle, Ryan Ramczyk, join an explosive offense … Finally a corner the Saints can build around in first-rounder Marshon Lattimore—assuming his hamstring issues don’t follow him from college to the pros … Linebackers A.J. Klein and Manti Te’o came from Carolina and the Chargers.

Subtractions: The big one is WR Brandin Cooks, but I’d have dealt Cooks for either a long-term corner or long-term tackle, and the trade with New England allowed the Saints to pick Ramczyk after getting Lattimore … Jahri Evans, one of the best guards in team history, left for Green Bay.

Key coaching/front-office moves: Some coaching shakeups on a staff that had gotten pretty comfortable, most notably assistant head coach Joe Vitt, who’d been with Asshole Face for 11 years, departing for Miami to coach with son-in-law Adam Gase …

Former Niners coach Mike Nolan left the SiriusXM NFL Radio airwaves to coach linebackers … Bradford Banta replaced another 11-year Saint, Greg McMahon, as special teams coordinator … New WR coach Curtis Johnson returns after a winding road that included four years as Tulane’s head coach.

Decisive schedule span: The first four weeks include four emotional games: at Minnesota (Adrian Peterson returns to the scene of his prime), New England at home (Cooks comes back), at Carolina (one of the best rivalry games in football), Miami in London (versus Vitt) … Then the early bye.

Why I have the Saints 14th: Fascinating team, for a few reasons. I think this has to be a transformative year, coming off of three straight 7-9 seasons. This has to be the year the Saints become a more balanced team—and for the first time in forever, it’s possible. Look at what GM Mickey Loomis and coach Asshole Face have done in adding two strong running backs and a road-grading (potentially) right tackle in Ramczyk.

They’ve basically said to Drew Brees: You don’t have to throw it 41 times a game (his average over the last seven years). You can throw it 35, 36 times a game, we can run it more, and we can keep our defense off the field. If this happens, and the Saints, a 36.6-percent run team over the past three years, get closer to 43 percent running or so, they’re are going to be far better off.

This, of course, will be up to the play-caller (Payton) and the executor (Brees). But I don’t think you go out and get Peterson and Kamara to supplement Mark Ingram unless you intend to change your style of football.

Most important factor to this team this year: Stabilizing the secondary, which has been in flames the past two years. Incredibly, New Orleans has allowed 72 touchdown passes in the past two seasons. If Lattimore is healthy for the season (that’s no lock) that should start to turn immediately.

Saints prediction in 10 words or less: Saints at Bucs, week 17, is a playoff game.

13. Denver Broncos

mmqb-von-miller-broncos-pr.jpg

Von Miller

Additions: The porous offensive line got some attention in free agency—G Ronald Leary (Dallas) and T Menelik Watson (Oakland)—and in the first round, with Utah tackle Garett Bolles, who could start opening day … RB Jamaal Charles needs to show he’s still Jamaal Charles, after an injury-ravaged close in Kansas City, in order to make the team … NT Domata Peko will be a godsend for the middle of the defensive line.

Subtractions: Demarcus Ware retired, which leave Von Miller without his pass-rush security blanket … DT Sylvester Williams (Tennessee) and T Russell Okung (San Diego) left in free agency.

Key front-office/coaching moves: Head coach Vance Joseph replaces the retired Gary Kubiak. Wade Phillips out as defensive coordinator, longtime heir Joe Woods in; Rick Dennison/Kubiak out running the offense, former Broncos OC Mike McCoy back in the gig … Brian Stark replaces Adam Peters (hired by John Lynch to head up his scouting department) as director of college scouting.

Decisive schedule span: The five weeks after the Week 5 bye: Giants at home, at Chargers, at Chiefs, at Eagles, Patriots at home. Talk about a make-or-break stretch of the season.

Why I have the Broncos 13th: The quarterback, mostly. Denver still has a defense with deep-into-the-playoffs aspirations. But there’s one other factor here: the offensive line. And it’s a huge factor. Too early to say how they’ll line up, but here’s one projection, left to right: Bolles, Max Garcia, Matt Paradis (the rock of the group), Leary and Watson. I’m aware that all eyes are on who wins the quarterback battle.

But if the line doesn’t perform better—the Broncos’ four starting guards/tackles all rated outside the top 40 at their position in the respected Pro Football Focus 2016 grades—the quarterback’s not going to have enough time be competent, and the running game (3.6 yards per rush last season) will continue to be stuck in quicksand.

So, yes, I worry about Trevor Siemian/Paxton Lynch. I worry more about the O-line. On the other side, while Ware will be missed, it’s not a killer. I think the combo platter of Von Miller/Shane Ray/Derek Wolfe will generate pressure enough to win on defense.

Most important factor to this team this year: Not even close. Siemian or Lynch playing well enough for this team to realize its potential. But as I said, the line has to be better, and there are huge question marks there.

Broncos prediction in 10 words or less: Trevor Siemian wins QB job, keeps it all year.

12. Miami Dolphins

mmqb-ndamukong-suh-dolphins-pr.jpg

Ndamukong Suh

Additions: LB Lawrence Timmons and S T.J. McDonald (suspended for the first eight games for substance abuse violation) in free agency … DE William Hayes, a rotation rusher, was had for a 17-slot drop in round six… TE Julius Thomas came for a seventh-rounder from Jacksonville … Pass-rusher Charles Harris, who some thought was the last premier rusher in the draft, should get a rush role early to take some pressure off Cam Wake.

Subtractions: Pass-rusher Mario Williams, unproductive, got dismissed, and similarly underachieving starting LT Branden Albert was dealt to Jacksonville.

Key front office/coaching moves: Defensive coordinator Vance Joseph took the Denver head-coaching job. Linebackers coach Matt Burke was promote to coordinator … Pass-rush specialist Jim Washburn retired … Joe Vitt, on his eighth NFL team, took a job as consultant. Head coach Adam Gase is Vitt’s son-in-law.

Decisive schedule span: The first six weeks present some challenges. Miami opens at home with Tampa Bay, a similarly newbie contender, then goes to the Chargers and the Jets, then has the Saints and Titans at home. Then there’s a trip to Atlanta. Exiting that stretch 3-3 would be a triumph.

Why I have the Dolphins 12th: Against a demonstratively easy slate to close the season, Miami finished with nine wins in its last 11 games, helped by emerging star back Jay Ajayi. But after finishing 10-6, there were problems to address. It was backup QB Matt Moore, after all, who put up an average of 27.3 points per game in the last three starts of the year.

Starter Ryan Tannehill, somehow, still conjures question marks entering his sixth year; no one’s really sure if he’s the Dolphins’ long-term quarterback. He’s a quiet guy, mostly, and leaves to other to lead. But the offensive weaponry is good enough to win, and win big, this year, with Jay Ajayi (4.9 yards per rush) and the receiving trio of Jarvis Landry, Devante Parker and Kenny Stills.

For a team with a dominating presence in the middle of the defensive line (Ndamukong Suh), this sure was a generous defense against the run last year. The new coordinator, Burke, will focus on that throughout camp.

Most important factor to this team this year: Getting the offense to be more explosive. The weapons are there. To exceed 30 points just three times—as Miami did last year—is not good enough.

Dolphins prediction in 10 words or less: Won’t get past the wild-card unless Tannehill excels.

11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

mmqb-oj-howard-bucs-pr.jpg

O.J. Howard

Additions: TE O.J. Howard (round one) will be a strong offensive-rookie-of-the-year contender … WR DeSean Jackson has missed six games due to injury in the last two years. The Bucs hope his explosiveness gives Jameis Winston a big edge … Versatile DL Chris Baker was a gift in free agency ($5.25 million per), out of Washington.

Subtractions: WR Vincent Jackson, on the market, waits for his phone to ring … Tackling machine Daryl Smith aged out of the linebacker group … Backup QB Mike Glennon leaves a big hole behind Winston, with glaring inexperience.

Key front office/coaching moves: None of note.

Decisive schedule span: Weeks three through six: at Minnesota, Giants and Patriots at home, at Arizona. That will tell if the Bucs are contenders.

Why I have the Bucs 11th: Tampa Bay averaged fewer than 20 points a game in its last seven, and that just won’t do this year. So GM Jason Licht added two big weapons for Winston: Howard at tight end and Jackson at wideout. The moves were designed to get some separation in the Bucs’ offense; Jackson’s still got premier speed, and Howard enters the league as one of the fastest tight ends playing.

Howard and another TE stud, Cameron Brate, are going to make the middle of the field a Winston preferred zone. A little aside: When I was with the 49ers for the draft, the big emphasis in the receiver group was on separation, and Kyle Shanahan preached the gospel of how vital it was in a league where the pass is king.

Bucs GM Jason Licht added two separators to an offense that needs that aspect, and Winston should be the beneficiary. Tampa Bay should be better on offense.

Most important factor to this team this year: The continued development of Winston, who threw 18 interceptions last year and completed 61 percent of his throws. Both of those numbers must improve for Tampa Bay to be a playoff team.

Bucs prediction in 10 words or less: In camp, Folk beats out Aguayo. What a strange story.

10. New York Giants

mmqb-eli-manning-giants-pr.jpg

Eli Manning

Additions: WR Brandon Marshall should level the receivers group, providing size to what had been a small position for the Giants … TE Evan Engram, a bit of a surprise pick in the first round over a tackle, was a huge need pick for Eli Manning … FB Rhett Ellison came from the Vikings, while T D.J. Fluker, mostly a failure in San Diego, could start … DT Dalvin Tomlinson, picked in round two, should find a role in defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo’s rotation.

Subtractions: The Giants will miss the class and ethos of WR Victor Cruz, but they needed a bigger receiver … Aldrick Rosas, out of the football powerhouse of Southern Oregon, will get first crack to place K Robbie Gould.

Decisive schedule span: Giants don’t play a division home game until December. September, as they say in Queens, will be YUGE: at Dallas, Detroit at home, at Philly, at Tampa Bay. I mention that because the Giants haven’t been over .500 in road games since 2011.

Why I have the Giants 10th: I am bullish on these Giants, with an asterisk. Eli Manning has desperately needed a reliable tight end for so long he probably forgets what a good one plays like. Engram should get 80 targets as a rookie; the Giants want to use him in-line and split out. Even though he’s 33, I love the acquisition of Brandon Marshall for this offense.

Simple reason: He’s averaged 155.5 targets in his 10 starting seasons, and even in the quarterback-limited Jets offense the last two years, he put up 2,290 yards and 17 touchdowns; Manning will love his production. But here’s what worries me, a lot, about this team. The Giants did nothing significant to improve the offensive line. A tackle group of Ereck Flowers and Bobby Hart (or D.J. Fluker) puts immense pressure on Manning to get rid of the ball quickly.

I understand that a GM can’t solve every problem in one off-season, but this offensive line carousel keeps turning with no sign of the line improving. That’s the one thing that could stand in the way of a second straight playoff berth.

Most important factor to this team this year: Some growth in two young tackles—Flowers (23) and Hart (22)—at vital positions. The Giants don’t have much of a choice now but to let them play and work into their jobs.

Giants prediction in 10 words or less: Manning’s 36, but he’ll outlast supposed heir Davis Webb.

9. Seattle Seahawks

mmqb-russell-wilson-seahawks-pr.jpg

Russell Wilson

Additions: G-T Luke Joeckel came from Jacksonville and journeyman T Oday Aboushi was signed to compete for jobs on a bad offensive line; so will second-round G Ethan Pocic … Ex-Packers RB Eddie Lacy will try to take carries from Thomas Rawls and C.J. Procise in the backfield … Rookie DT Malik McDowell could be a day-one impact player.

Subtractions: T Bradley Sowell moved to Chicago … The Seahawks lost K Steven Hauschka to Buffalo … In all, this was an off-season with precious little important movement involving the Hawks.

Key front office/coaching moves: Ace scout Ed Dodds, who preceded John Schneider in Seattle’s front office but stayed by earning Schneider’s trust, took the Colts VP/Player Personnel job … Clint Hurtt was hired as defensive line coach from Chicago.

Decisive schedule span: The final quarter. If Russell Wilson is still standing by December, a final four of at Jacksonville, Rams at home, at Dallas and Arizona at home could be playoff-favorable.

Why I have the Seahawks ninth: I’d have them higher if they’d paid more attention to the offensive line in the off-season. When Joeckel’s the big get, I worry for Wilson’s health—especially after the abuse he took last year. Not to harp, but Seattle was fourth in offensive yards and points in 2015. That fell to 12 in yards and 18th in points last year.

This could be the last great chance for an aging defense, too, with (as of opening day) ends Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril both 31 and DBs Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor both 29. McDowell will be the kind of penetrator and space-eater that Pete Carroll wants in the middle of his line. Even with the offensive negatives up front, I think Seattle could win 11 or 12 games.

Most of the tough trips are early (Packers, Giants, Titans on the road in the first seven weeks), and with the NFC West down, the Seahawks could go 5-1 in the division. Plus, the good news for the offense is it should have diverse running game to take some of the pressure off Wilson.

Most important factor to this team this year: Keeping Wilson healthy. I’d still sign Colin Kaepernick if I were Schneider/Carroll, because the alternative to Wilson is just not good with the green backups.

Seahawks prediction in 10 words or less: 2017: Last legit chance at a title for a while.

8. Kansas City Chiefs

mmqb-tyreek-hill-chiefs-pr.jpg

Tyreek Hill

Additions: Rookie QB Pat Mahomes cost two first-round picks and set the long-term timer on the future of incumbent Alex Smith … Underrated NT Bennie Logan arrived in free agency from Philadelphia … Rookie DE Tanoh Kpassagnon, a fast riser in the weeks before the draft, could earn a DE rotation role early … Third-round RB Kareem Hunt will challenge for the starting job.

Subtractions: The odd and short Chiefs’ tenure of backup QB Nick Foles ended with one season and one start. Foles made a free-agent return to Philadelphia.

Key front office/coaching moves: Chris Ballard left as vice president of player personnel for the GM job in Indianapolis. Two Chiefs will shares that gig in 2017: Mike Borgonzi and Brett Veach.

Decisive schedule span: Final four, which after a tough first eight weeks, could be a big edge down the playoff home stretch: K.C. closes with Oakland, the Chargers and Miami at home, and at Denver to finish.

Why I have the Chiefs eighth: Typical Andy Reid team. Veteran group that may not be good enough to win the biggest games (no Reid team has won a Super Bowl in his 18 head-coaching seasons) but won’t beat itself much during the regular season. The Chiefs lost five games last year—three by two points.

But the one difference this year is that Reid and GM John Dorsey, while backstopping the quarterback position for the future, also put Smith—who didn’t have one 300-yard passing game in the Chiefs’ last 16 games last year—and the offense on notice.

A history lesson here: In Reid’s first season as coach, he used his first draft pick on Donovan McNabb. With the Eagles struggling in game nine, Reid made the quarterback switch to McNabb. Remember the incumbent that season? Doug Pederson.

Most important factor to this team this year: The continued development of difference-making weapons. Tyreek Hill emerged as a multiple threat last year; he’s got to touch the ball on offense and special teams more than the 138 times he did last year. Watch for Kareem Hunt, the rookie from Toledo, who has every-down potential.

Chiefs prediction in 10 words or less: Pat Mahomes starts some. How much? I don’t know.

7. Dallas Cowboys

mmqb-dak-prescott-cowboys-pr.jpg

Dak Prescott

Additions: Pass-rusher Taco Charlton came from Michigan in round one … Two prayers were added on the OL: T Byron Bell (Carolina), G Jonathan Cooper (everywhere) … Ironman Brandon Carr will eventually be replaced at CB by second-rounder Chidobe Awuzie.

Subtractions: Tony Romo retired, of course, leaving a depth chart very light on quarterback experience … Two losses on the vaunted offensive line: T Doug Free (retirement) and G Ronald Leary … Backup TE Gavin Escobar never became the heir to Jason Witten. Now he’s a Chief.

Decisive schedule span: The last quarter of the season, three away. At Giants, at Raiders, Seattle at home, at Eagles. The Cowboys could need a cushion after 12 games entering that season-ending stretch.

Why I have the Cowboys seventh: I don’t believe in the sophomore slump. If Dak Prescott fails, it will be because some cracks are starting to show in the offensive line, or because of an injury to a big skill player like Dez Bryant or Ezekiel Elliott. But Prescott has the mental approach to not sit back and think it’ll be the same in 2017 as it just was.

And the things he did last year, you can do for a game or two or three, but not for a season … unless you’re legit. He completion percentage (67.8) was two percentage points better than Aaron Rodgers. His four picks in a season: 11 fewer than Drew Brees, nine fewer than Andrew Luck.

You think of Prescott as a dink-and-dunker? His 7.99 yards-per-attempt was half a yard better than Ben Roethlisberger. I think it’s not Prescott I’m worried about. It’s the rest of the team.

Most important factor to this team this year: Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli has consistently made good players better, and this year he’ll have some better molding clay to make a pass rush: Carlton, former second-round pick Demarcus Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford. Randy Gregory, the boom or bust pass-rusher draft in 2015, went bust. The Cowboys will adjust well.

Cowboys prediction in 10 words or less: Dak Prescott will be a factor in the MVP race.

6. Green Bay Packers

mmqb-clay-mathews-packers-pr.jpg

Clay Matthews

Additions: Teams keep casting out TE Martellus Bennett, and he keeps producing; he should have a vintage season with Aaron Rodgers … CB Davon House is not exactly a prodigal son, but he returns after a failed but profitable tenure in Jacksonville. Second-round CB Kevin King and House will have to play important snaps right away on a corner-needy D.

Subtractions: Two-fifths of the starting offensive was allowed to walk—center J.C. Tretter and guard T.J. Lang … RB Eddie Lacy couldn’t stay healthy and was allowed to leave for Seattle in free agency … DT Letroy Guion starts the season on a four-game suspension.

Decisive schedule span: Weeks one and two. The Packers start with Seattle at Lambeau (the offensive line will get a quick test with Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril coming to town), and then open the new Atlanta stadium the following Sunday night.

Why I have the Packers sixth: I worry about the offensive line; GM Ted Thompson angered some players by allowing trusted guard T.J. Lang to jump to division rival Detroit. I worry about the secondary holding up. I worry about Nick Perry and Clay Matthews staying healthy for the season and giving the defense enough pass-rush. But I do not worry about Aaron Rodgers’ ability to carry a team to make another deep playoff run.

After seeming mortal for three months last year, Rodgers was his explosive self (last seven games: 32.9 points per game) down the stretch. As much as Jared Cook became a significant piece late in the season, I think Bennett will be great for Rodgers.

He’s durable, he gets open (last three years: 198 catches, 2,056 yards), he doesn’t shrink from challenges. He could have his greatest year, and he may need to—Rodgers could face significantly more pressure with a leaky line than a year ago, and the tight end will be vital in this offense.

Most important factor to this team this year: Whether the secondary can play well enough to keep Rodgers from having to score consistently in the 30s for Green Bay to win. It’s that simple. Lots of pressure on Kevin King to be a factor immediately.

Packers prediction in 10 words or less: Rodgers wins MVP, but not a Super Bowl.

5. Pittsburgh Steelers

mmqb-antonio-brown-steelers-pr.jpg

Antonio Brown

Additions: On offense, the big receiving threat Ben Roethlisberger sought last year returned to the team. Martavis Bryant finished his one-year substance-abuse suspension … WR JuJu Smith-Schuster came in the second round as another Roethlisberger weapon, while the pass-rush-needy Steelers took one-year rush phenom T.J. Watt in the first round of the draft.

Subtractions: Valuable RB DeAngelo Williams was allowed to walk as a free agent, while vet LB Lawrence Timmons flew south to Miami … The Steelers cut TE Ladarius Green, a needed piece in their offense; he couldn’t stay healthy.

Key front office/coaching moves: Only one, and it was momentous. The death of franchise patriarch Dan Rooney cast a pall over the organization that is still there. Son Art Rooney II, who has run the team in recent years, is a fitting heir.

Decisive schedule span: The first five weeks: At Cleveland, Minnesota, at Chicago, at Baltimore, Jacksonville. No team is more in line for a fast start. Plus, three of the Steelers’ toughest foes—Tennessee, Green Bay, New England—all are at home, and all in the second half of the season.

Why I have the Steelers fifth: We may never know the truth about the “retirement” talk of Ben Roethlisberger, but some of his discomfort with the team may have stemmed from the lack of alternatives to Antonio Brown in the passing game. Now, with Bryant back (for how long, who knows) and with the arrival of Smith-Schuster, Brown has some company in the passing game.

Recall the impact of Bryant when he last suited up for the Steelers. With Brown out after suffering a concussion the previous week, Bryant caught nine passes for 154 yards (in 15 targets) at Denver in a playoff loss. This Pittsburgh offense should be as explosive as any Roethlisberger has had if 6’1½” Smith-Schuster makes the impact the pro-ready receiver could make, and if Bryant stays on the field.

With Le’Veon Bell in the backfield as the most dangerous rusher in the AFC (rookie Pitt back James Conner is his insurance policy now that Williams has left for Denver), the Steelers will be a formidable challenge for the best teams in football.

Most important factor to this team this year: The development of a pass rush. Bud Dupree and newcomer Watt are vital pieces here. James Harrison and his 7.5 regular- and post-season sacks can’t be counted on, even though Harrison, 39, is back for another season.

Steelers prediction in 10 words or less: Roethlisberger has his first 5,000-yard passing season.

4. Tennessee Titans

mmqb-marcus-mariota-titans-pr.jpg

Marcus Mariota

Additions: CBs Logan Ryan (free agency, New England) and Adoree’ Jackson (round one, USC) will need to be plug-and-play corners for the Titans to win big … WR Corey Davis (round one, fifth overall pick) was the annual Jon Robinson stunner, getting taken so high out of Western Michigan … NT Sylvester Williams (Denver) and S Jonathan Cyprien (Jacksonville) arrived in free agency.

Subtractions: TE Anthony Fasano departed for Miami … CB Jason McCourty, one of the most respected players in franchise history, signed with the Browns.

Key front office/coaching moves: Frisman Jackson replaced Bob Bratkowski as receivers coach.

Decisive schedule span: Weeks 11 through 15 will determine if the Titans can hang with the big boys, with four road games in five weeks: at Pittsburgh, at Indianapolis, at Arizona, at San Francisco.

Why I have the Titans fourth: Every year there’s one stunner in the league (at least), and this year I like Tennessee to be that team. Not saying they’ll be another Nashville Predators and make the final two, but I like the Titans to make this huge jump because of core players. Marcus Mariota returns healthy from a broken leg and is a trusted and athletic player about to become a top-10 quarterback.

The two franchise tackles, Taylor Lewan and Jack Conklin, proved their mettle last year, and are long-termers; they’ll play this year at 26 and 23, respectively. Much is expected of Corey Davis, the first-round receiver, as a deep threat, and he has to deliver.

On defense, Jurrell Casey needs to be a national attention-grabber, Vince Wilfork with a better pass-rush. He’s good. The pass-rush (Derrick Morgan, Brian Orakpo) should generate enough pressure. The secondary’s the big concern, obviously. Adoree’ Jackson has to be the physical cover player he showed last fall at USC, and he has to be that way from day one.

LeShaun Sims is a rising corner. In short, I’m trusting lots of young players to win a division that’s up for grabs and to win at least one January game.

Most important factor to this team this year: The secondary. Can Sims, Ryan and Jackson lift a coverage unit that allowed 25 touchdowns and 4,585 yards in the air last year?

Titans prediction in 10 words or less: Marcus Mariota will be a strong MVP candidate.

3. Atlanta Falcons

mmqb-matt-ryan-falcons-pr.jpg

Matt Ryan

Additions: A remarkably similar depth chart from the team that held a 28-3 third-quarter lead in the Super Bowl … DE Takk McKinley comes from the draft, and DE Jack Crawford could be a surprising piece from Dallas.

Subtractions: DEs Tyson Jackson and Dwight Freeney, TE Jacob Tamma and LB Sean Weatherspoon all walked.

Key front office/coaching moves: A coaching staff shakeup, and not just because offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan left to become San Francisco’s head coach. Steve Sarkisian comes from college football to run the offense. Coach Dan Quinn also changed some defensive staff, replacing Richard Smith as defensive coordinator with Marquand Manuel who, like Quinn, comes from the Pete Carroll tree in Seattle.

Decisive schedule span: A six-game stretch out of the Week Five bye: Miami, at New England, at the Jets, at Carolina, Dallas, at Seattle. Could be a killer. Could be a combination exorcism (at New England)/season-lifter.

Why I have the Falcons third: Simple: I don’t think young players blowing a 25-point Super Bowl lead and losing the toughest game of their lives will ruin those players. On the outside we say, My gosh, how can any team ever come back from that? And I don’t know what Matt Ryan and Deion Jones and Keanu Neal and Julio Jones think on the inside, but I doubt it’s dire.

The Falcons got a career-changing season from Ryan last year, and barring a mental block post-Super Bowl, with the weapons he has, there’s no reason to think this offense can’t be as explosive as it was last year. On defense, Atlanta should be better with the return of newly signed cover corner Desmond Trufant from injury.

Most important factor to this team this year: Shedding the ghosts of last February. No reason it should hound the Falcons, but we’ll find out early, when the Packers christen the Atlanta’s new stadium in week two.

Falcons prediction in 10 words or less: Falcons have short memories, win NFC South again.

2. Oakland Raiders

mmqb-marshawn-lynch-raiders-pr.jpg

Marshawn Lynch

Additions: CB Gareon Conley, assuming the sexual-assault investigation does not detour his season, is a crucial piece of the Raiders from day one … TE Jared Cook moved from Green Bay … RB Marshawn Lynch will have a chance to be the every-down back, coming out of retirement to play for his hometown team … Rookie safety Obi Melifonwu is a classic Raiders pick, an unusually tall (6’4”) and physical player who will be a wild card in the secondary.

Subtractions: RB Latavious Murray moved to Minnesota in free agency … The Niners signed former Super Bowl MVP LB Malcolm Smith … CB DJ Hayden signed with Detroit.

Key front office/coaching moves: Offensive coordinator Todd Downing, the former quarterbacks coach who has good rapport with Derek Carr, replaces Bill Musgrave.

Decisive schedule span: The final five weeks: Giants at home, at Kansas City, Dallas at home, at Philly, at the Chargers. That’s a no-gimme home stretch for any team.

Why I have the Raiders second: This is where I believe they could have been last year if Derek Carr didn’t break his leg on Christmas Eve against the Colts. The pieces are in place for a good playoff run for the Raiders, and a shot at knocking off the Patriots for AFC supremacy. Lynch brings his mercurial presence and a unique determination to the Bay Area for what could be his final season of pro football.

I say unique because it means more to Lynch, for some reason, than it means to an average player returning to his hometown. Someone who knows him told me last month: “Oakland is in him—he’s just always wanted to be a Raider. It’s like a guy going back to high school. Glory days.”

But will he be healthy enough to be classic Marshawn? That’s the test. On defense, GM Reggie McKenzie bet a lot on his first- and second-round picks. Conley and Melifonwu will have a chance to play early.

Most important factor to this team this year: The secondary’s growth. The Raiders allowed 27 touchdown passes last year, and in a season with Tom Brady on the schedule (maybe twice, if I’m right), that unit has to be better.

Raiders prediction in 10 words or less: Marshawn’s not what he was, but he’ll rush for 1,000.

1. New England Patriots

mmqb-tom-brady-patriots-pr.jpg

Tom Brady

Additions:
WR Brandin Cooks arrived from New Orleans for a first-round pick … Restricted free-agent RB Mike Gillislee and free-agent RB Rex Burkhead allowed the Patriots to let LeGarrette Blount walk out the door to Philadelphia … DE Kony Ealy gets a year to prove his worth, as does TE Dwayne Allen … DL Lawrence Guy tries to find a rotational DL spot ... CB Stephon Gilmore is an upgrade over Logan Ryan.

Subtractions: Blount’s 18 rushing touchdowns will have to be replaced by committee—New England hopes … RT Sebastian Vollmer retired … CB Logan Ryan left for Tennessee … Front-seven parts Jabaal Sheard and Barkevious Mingo signed with the Colts … DE Chris Long signed with Philadelphia … TE Martellus Bennett signed with Green Bay.

Decisive schedule span: Games seven through 11: Falcons and Chargers at home, then the bye, then at Denver, then Oakland and Miami at home.

Why I have the Patriots first: Any other candidates? Bueller? Bueller? … I probably subscribe in part to the Bill Polian thought from his SiriusXM NFL Radio show recently when he said: “Tom Brady was a quarter away from losing the Super Bowl last year pretty decisively. They are a great team. They are not as great as people think they are. They're not invincible.” Still, there’s something about the way New England won that game.

Not only do the Patriots have the best quarterback of his day and perhaps the best of all time, but Brady is part of a doggedly determined group of players and coaches who approach every game like a single entity and try to figure out how best to win it—and then play the 38th minute the same as the first and the 60th, no matter the score, no matter the conditions.

What does that mean for 2017? Three new offensive pieces (Cooks, Gillislee, Burkhead) reinforce a strong offense. Assuming they learn the Patriot Way (who doesn’t?) New England should be in position to win AFC home-field for the 47th straight year.

Most important factor to this team this year: The health of Brady. As much as Bill Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels respect Jimmy Garoppolo and think he can win playoff games, Brady making it through his age-40 season is the most significant element to the Patriots winning a sixth Super Bowl under Belichick.

Patriots prediction in 10 words or less: Pats beat Raiders in Foxboro in AFC Championship Game.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Why wouldn't the Patriots be #1? After winning the Super Bowl, they've lost mostly bit pieces and added Stephon Gilmore, Brandin Cooks, Rex Burkhead, Kony Ealy, Mike Gillislee, and Dwayne Allen. I get y'all hate them, but there's no logical reason not to have them ranked at the top of any power ranking going into the season.

Of course, power rankings don't mean squat until November at the earliest, but by what logical reason could you put anyone over the Patriots right now?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why wouldn't the Patriots be #1? After winning the Super Bowl, they've lost mostly bit pieces and added Stephon Gilmore, Brandin Cooks, Rex Burkhead, Kony Ealy, Mike Gillislee, and Dwayne Allen. I get y'all hate them, but there's no logical reason not to have them ranked at the top of any power ranking going into the season.

Of course, power rankings don't mean squat until November at the earliest, but by what logical reason could you put anyone over the Patriots right now?
Don't think people disagree it's more affirming the theory that PK has his lips firmly attached to the BB family jewels. They can do no wrong in his eyes and every article he writes he works in a reference to them. It's just a tired bit.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Don't think people disagree it's more affirming the theory that PK has his lips firmly attached to the BB family jewels. They can do no wrong in his eyes and every article he writes he works in a reference to them. It's just a tired bit.
That's not untrue. King does have a raging Krafradychick boner.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

The best answer is quoted below.

Peter King was harassed over his mancrush for Brady and all things Patriots so often in the comments section of his MMQB, that he responded and said "I don't care what you think." Now the comments section has been closed, lol, and all questions have to be sent by email.

This is an NFL reporter who has chosen to be absolutely biased and has lost all credibility. Why post his articles then? Because there's not much else out there this time of the season and it gives me a chance to mock him. This also happened with former Rams reporter Jim Thomas and his weekly and ultra-goofy Q&A's, which the members got tired of so I stopped posting them.

As to the Patriots being #1; I have no problem with that coming from anyone else but Peter King. This is a Rams site and many of us have a deep dislike for all things Patriots, so none of this should surprise you.

Pape

UDFA
the rams at #29 should not shock anyone. Goff didn't light the world on fire when he played last year. He looked pretty bad. Its a quarter back driven league, Unless you have a quarterback, don't expect too many people to have faith that your team will do well. the defense was average to middlin' last year, despite having one of the premier defensive players in the league.

Overall they placed in the bottom 5 in the league records wise, in the bottom 3 conference wise. While I like some of the moves this off season, they may take a year or two to see fruition. The headcoach is an unknown, the defensive coordinator is more adept at the 3-4 vs 4-3 scheme and the qb is a big honkin ???

Why would anyone rate them higher? Its much realistic to place the Rams at 29 than it is to put them at 15 or even 25 or so.

Pape

UDFA
As to the Patriots being #1; I have no problem with that coming from anyone else but Peter King. This is a Rams site and many of us have a deep dislike for all things Patriots, so none of this should surprise you.

I get that people think he is biased towards the Patriots, but why should that matter in an analysis like the one he put out there? And if not the Pats, then who should be #1? Atlanta?