Peter King: MMQB - 4/2/18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts. To read the whole article click the link below.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/01/josh-rosen-jim-mora-odell-beckham-trade-draft-mmqb-peter-king

On Draft QBs, Trade Rumors and a New Rule That Might Change Football Forever
In this week's column: The truth behind the odd Josh Rosen-Jim Mora situation, the latest on a potential Odell Beckham trade, the next steps on the helmet-lowering rule change and much more
By Peter King

mmqb-fourway.jpg

Rumors, factoids, league-meetings leftovers and draft niblets 24 days before the start of the NFL draft:

I know the first question I’d ask Josh Rosen in Cleveland this week. The UCLA quarterback travels to Cleveland to meet with Browns brass this week. (He has seven team trips scheduled by mid-April—Browns, Jets, Giants, Cards, Broncos, Bills, Chargers). Cleveland owns the first and fourth picks in the first round and will use one of the picks on a quarterback. You know that Cleveland GM John Dorsey at some point is going to ask Rosen: What’s up with you and your coach at UCLA?

Last week, Jim Mora, fired as Bruins coach last fall, said on NFL Network that he’d take USC quarterback Sam Darnold over Rosen with the first pick in the draft if he were running the Browns. Mora said it was “because of fit” and cited Darnold’s “blue-collar, gritty attitude.” My jaw dropped when I heard that.

And I can tell you the jaws of more than a few NFL people at the meetings in Orlando last week dropped too. Mora did go on to say that if he were the Giants or Jets at two and three in the draft order, he’d have the card with Rosen’s name on it, ready to turn in. But that didn’t get much attention.

Mora coached Rosen for three years. Rosen and Darnold are competing to be the top player picked in this draft. Oh, and Darnold played for UCLA’s archrival. Was Mora trying to slap the free-spirited Rosen with some tough love?

Was Mora taking this TV analyst neutral-party thing very seriously and simply telling the truth as he sees it? Or was Mora trying to help his old quarterback avoid Cleveland and land with the Giants and a quarterback mentor he trusts, Pat Shurmur, at number two?

I spoke with Mora on Sunday, and he understands the tornado his words created. But he stood by his point that Darnold and his don’t-worry, be-happy ethos (my words, not his) would be a better long-haul fit for a Cleveland team that likely will take a while to win.

“I put it in the context of ‘fit,’” Mora told me. He strongly emphasized the word “fit” in our conversation. He said Darnold has “the underdog mentality that I think will fit so well in Cleveland, a franchise that’s really been down.”

Of his own quarterback, Mora said: “Josh, I think, without a doubt, is the number one quarterback in the draft. He’s a franchise-changer. He’s got the ability to have an immediate impact. His arm talent, intelligence, and his ability to see the game and diagnose the game is rare. He’d come to the sidelines after a play and it was uncanny—he could right away say exactly why he made every decision.

“He needs to be challenged intellectually so he doesn’t get bored. He’s a millennial. He wants to know why. Millennials, once they know why, they’re good. Josh has a lot of interests in life. If you can hold his concentration level and focus only on football for a few years, he will set the world on fire. He has so much ability, and he’s a really good kid.”

It sounded like Mora thinks Rosen would be well-served to be pushed by quarterback mentors like Shurmur (Giants) or Jeremy Bates (Jets), and to learn for a year or so from Eli Manning (Giants) or Josh McCown (Jets).

Much of what Mora just said in the last two paragraphs is what he’d tell an NFL GM if he called to ask about Rosen. Curiously, Mora said: “None of them have called, which is interesting.”

There’s time, of course, and Mora figures the calls will come. I’d be surprised if they didn’t, after the hubbub around his NFL Network comments. Rosen, by the way, got an explanatory text from Mora before Mora said his piece on air, but I’m told Rosen still was stunned by what his coach and neighbor said on TV. (Rosen lived in the same L.A. neighborhood as Mora, and he is friendly with Mora’s daughter.)

I have never heard of anything like this, even with the Giants/Jets note following what Mora said first. When Mark Sanchez declared for the draft after the 2008 season at USC, coach Pete Carroll was critical of the decision, saying he thought Sanchez should stay in school. That’s a little different, though, than saying the quarterback of your archrival should be picked above your own guy.

That’s not going to help Rosen’s cause at the top of the draft. It will also be noted by teams that Mora says you need to “hold Rosen’s concentration level.” It’ll be fascinating to see which team takes the plunge with Rosen, and how they process the information they’re hearing out of UCLA.

“One thing I do want teams to know,” Mora said. “It’s desperately important for Josh to be a great player.”

Noted.
----------------------------------------------------

FOD (Friend of Dorsey) thinks Browns will go Allen-Saquon at 1 and 4. What would an April MMQB be without another draft rumor?! This friend of Cleveland GM John Dorsey believes he’ll go Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen over Sam Darnold with the first overall pick, keep the fourth pick, and take Penn State running back Saquon Barkley.

“I would be surprised if he traded down,” FOD told me. “This would be his chance to take his two offensive cornerstones for the next eight or 10 years.” The most interesting thing there? That FOD thinks Dorsey will not trade. I think that’s great. Cleveland’s been very good at trading and stockpiling, and not very good at drafting, in the last few years. I hope Dorsey’s more about the (relatively) sure things instead of Cleveland leading the league in draft picks.
---------------------------------------------------

The next step in the controversial lowering-the-helmet ban rule is a month away. It’s now going to be a penalty for an NFL player to lower his head to initiate helmet-to-opponent contact, and the devil will be in the details on this one. The NFL has seven weeks to write the rule the right way; the league wants it done by the NFL spring meetings beginning 49 days from today, May 21-23 in Atlanta.

About three weeks before then, the NFL will invite some eight or 10 people to New York for a summit meeting—four to six coaches, a couple owners or top club officials, and a two or three players—to get the language of the rule right. The other interesting parts of this new rule:

Replay. Still to be determined, but it’s highly likely replays of the helmet violations will be handled by VP of officiating Al Riveron in the officiating command center in New York. The league does not want to add the element of delay into the system that would come if the referee in the stadium had to review the play on his tablet.

The likely scenario is if there’s an infraction or ejection, Riveron and his New York crew will review (quickly, the hope is) and inform the referee on site whether the call is upheld or reversed without any sort of coaching challenge.

Frequency. The league is hesitant to project how many helmet-lowering fouls per game will be called; after instructing teams in the exact rule this offseason, it’ll be up to the coaches to teach it right and the players to live by the rule. But last year there were 2.65 offensive holding infractions walked off per game, and 1.08 defensive pass interference penalties accepted.

The best guess, one league official said, is probably between those numbers, between one and two fouls per game. Ejections? I’ll be surprised if there’s more than a dozen in 2018. “I think we won’t be ejection-happy,” said Competition Committee chairman Rich McKay.

“We’d eject only with the obvious infractions. We will make it clear what the standard for ejection will be when we meet with the teams. We [the Competition Committee members] were actually caught off guard that coaches wanted ejection to be an immediate part of the rule.”

The big change. One of the major boosters for the new rule was John Madden, who is the league’s co-chair of the Player Safety Advisory Panel and the head of the Coaches Subcommittee of the Competition Committee. “Coach Madden said he thinks this could be the final step to get the helmet out of the run game,” McKay said.

Currently, helmet-to-helmet contact is allowed on running plays, the theory being it’s just too hard in close quarters of running plays to police when players bash helmets. The other area of adjustment will be in open-field collisions. When the NFL studied its 291 documented concussions in 2017, many players were seen lowering their heads to deliver a blow in the open field. That was a factor in making this a rule for 2018.

• Coaching it. “I don’t feel like this is going to be a revolutionary change to the game,” said Saints coach Asshole Face, a member of the Competition Committee. “I’ve got a big note here [to relay to his coaches]—our job is to teach the fundamentals. I learned a lot about teaching during my one-year suspension, coaching my son Conner’s team when he was in sixth grade: eyes up, heads up, wrap up. When we coach taking on blocks, it’s eyes up, heads away. It’ll become our dialog throughout the team.”

• Officiating it. This is the bugaboo. Calling this consistently is going to be very hard. As former officiating VP Mike Pereira said on SiriusXM NFL Radio: “I think it will be impossible to officiate.” That’ll be the biggest thing to watch. Along with the new catch rule, the officials are going to struggle making the helmet call, and they may struggle for years.

I find it ironic that in the wake of the passage of this rule, the majority of players who have spoken out hate it. They think it will change football as we know it. It’s ironic because part of the reason for the rule—maybe the biggest part—is to minimize the kind of blows that could lead to brain issues for players later in life, and here are so many players against what should be good for them.

Ironic, too, that Payton is one of the biggest supporters of the rule. Payton spent lots of time before and during his Bountygate suspension at absolute loggerheads with the league on sanctions. Not now. Even though the final version of the rule is still cloudy, Payton thinks this is a vital change for the next generation of players.

“We owe this to the game,” Payton said. “Ten years from now, people will look at this moment and say, ‘That was a big deal.’”

View: https://twitter.com/chris_spielman/status/979085132006133762?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fnfl%2F2018%2F04%2F01%2Fjosh-rosen-jim-mora-odell-beckham-trade-draft-mmqb-peter-king

-----------------------------------------

There’s too much smoke around the Odell Beckham Jr.-to-the-Rams trade story to dismiss it. First it was Giants CEO John Mara saying in Orlando: “I want him to be a Giant. I can’t promise that’s going to happen.” Then it was the Rams doing nothing to debunk the rumors of their interest. Then it was Beckham, according to the New York Daily News, telling Rams players he would like to play there.

Here’s what I think now: The Rams are definitely interested. The price tag—likely two first-round picks plus a contract averaging at least $18 million a year—is daunting and could eventually road-block L.A., but that’s not happening now. If the Giants move Beckham, the Rams will be in the game until the end.

There’s no way Giants coach Pat Shurmur would want Beckham traded; Shurmur took the job in January believing he’d have Beckham as his biggest weapon. Shurmur’s desire isn’t going to be what decides this, but it’s a factor. On the other hand, Rams coach Sean McVay isn’t afraid of taking on the mercurial Beckham.

This isn’t an easy one to decipher. The Giants already have a short fuse with the immature Beckham. He lives in Los Angeles in the offseason and could make it very hard on the Giants and their rookie head coach by not showing up for any of the offseason work, and holding out well into the summer. They may decide he’s not worth the trouble, and take two low first-rounders for him, and save all that cap money they’d have to pay him long-term—realizing full well it’s a deal they could soon regret.

Look at GM Dave Gettleman’s history in Carolina. He had a big veteran star, Josh Norman, about to be a contract-related distraction for the Panthers in 2016. Gettleman’s solution was simply to cut him loose. If you told Gettleman he could get two first-round picks for a huge headache … well, I don’t have to draw you a map.

I’d feel more confident that the Giants would dump Beckham, except for one thing: I covered the Giants in the ’80s, and I remember how Giants scion Wellington Mara, John’s father, overlooked all the headaches the great Lawrence Taylor gave the franchise for years, because of his transcendent talent. I saw Wellington Mara get emotional with Taylor after he played a heroic 1987 game. Mara knew how important Taylor was to his team. John Mara is very much like his father. So there’s that. This one’s a conundrum.

Yes, Beckham is worth two ones. The narrative in some NFL quarters that Beckham is not worth two first-round draft picks in trade—especially two late first-round picks, as would likely be the case if the Rams traded with the Giants.

Beckham was hurt in game four last year, his fourth NFL season. His average season for the first three years—96 catches, 1,374 yards, 12 touchdowns—was historic.

My point about Beckham’s value isn’t that because 12 of the 13 receivers picked in the last three first rounds have been underwhelming the Rams should overpay for Beckham. It’s that recent history says the value of first-round receivers is not good. And if you’re desperate for a receiver, and Beckham, 25, is in the pool, why wouldn’t you consider paying two low first-rounders—as the Rams would have to—in order to make a serious bid for a premier player?

“The Giants are NOT getting rid of OBJ. He will be a New York Giant!”

—ESPN’s Darren Woodson, per Dianna Russini of ESPN.

You sure?
--------------------------------------

“I think the quarterback class is a hair overrated.” So says former NFL quarterback Chris Simms, now a Bleacher Reportanalyst. I asked him to rate this class of quarterbacks, in first-round order, and he had some interesting thoughts. His list:

1. Josh Allen, Wyoming
2. Josh Rosen, UCLA
3. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
4. Lamar Jackson, Louisville
5. Sam Darnold, USC

Notable, obviously, is Darnold’s placement. “The most confusing thing to me is that Sam Darnold is definitely the number one or two pick by everyone,” Simms said. “I am not trying to be a jerk to the kid, but the skill set I see on the field doesn’t relate to a can’t-miss prospect. I don’t think there’s anything he does elite physically. He’s toward the bottom as a thrower of the football, and he’s careless with the football.”

Simms on Allen: “He’s got elite arm talent, a [Brett] Favre or [Pat] Mahomes arm. Elite athlete for his size, like Carson Wentz. People talk about his accuracy, but his pass-protection was poor, and he had the worst talent around him of any of these guys.” He likes Jackson, but, as most draft observers say, Jackson is hurting himself by not being available to do the pre-draft things franchise quarterbacks need to be available to do. “But he’s got the biggest upside of anyone in the class,” Simms said.
--------------------------------------

THINGS I THINK I THINK

1. I think the NFL, which treated any mention of anthem-related protests like the plague at the league meetings, is going to continue to have issues no matter how thoroughly the discussion of it is swept under the rug.

2. I think it’s only going to get worse if no team signs Colin Kaepernick friend and fellow protester Eric Reid, who is an above-average player with opinions. Let him have them. And let him play.

3. I think I wish Mike Ornstein, a longtime league staple and the most colorful character I’ve met covering this game, the best as he fights an infection stemming from a kidney stone at Cedars Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. He’s had some starry visitors in the past few days—Asshole Face and Isaiah Thomas on Friday. Ornstein was at one point Al Davis’ right-hand man with the Raiders and lately a great friend to the Saints.

4. I think the fight for Jim Kelly goes on—a 12-hour surgery Wednesday in New York to remove his cancerous jaw and lymph nodes, and reconstruct the jaw using one of his femur bones. Three times in four years Kelly has thrown haymakers at this insidious disease. All of western New York, and the rest of the football world, hopes this is the time that doctors got it all.

5. I think, by the way, we’ve got an excellent series of draft preview shows available on Amazon—“The MMQB Draft Preview Show with Pro Football Focus.” I watched the running back show over the weekend, and until seeing it, I thought Saquon Barkley was flawless. He is not, our PFF panelists say. Interesting, too, how much they love Michigan defensive lineman Maurice Hurst, his health issues and all. Really good education here.

6. I think the Marquette King cut by the Raiders was stunning—he’s one of the top five punters in the NFL—until you realize the cash-strapped Raiders can save $2.9 million in cap money this year. I think GM Reggie McKenzie figures, and probably correctly, that of all the moves he could make, cutting the punter and paying a young punter the NFL minimum is the best of some bad alternatives.

7. I think this is the Good NFL Nugget of the Week, from Tom Pelissero of NFL Network: Desperado quarterback Paxton Lynch of the Broncos has enlisted the training help of Tom Brady body guru Alex Guerrero to prepare him for the 2018 season. Smart of Lynch to pull out all the stops to evade the bust label. This season is it for him in Denver.

8. I think it’s not probable but certainly possible to think that the Giants could make two trades before the draft: with the Rams for Odell Beckham Jr., and with Buffalo for the second pick in the draft. Let’s say New York did that. And let’s say New York, in return, got two first-round picks from the Rams and three first-round picks from Buffalo. Three? Three!

For Buffalo to move from 12 to two in this year’s first round, and to get a top quarterback prospect, the Bills, I believe, would have to deal the 12th and 22nd picks this year, plus their first-rounder next year. How interesting would that be? It would give the Giants quantity, and allow them to own the next two first rounds. As you see here:

• In 2018, the Giants would have Buffalo’s 12th and 22nd overall picks, and the Rams’ 23rd. So three picks in the top 23.

• In 2019, the Giants would have their own first-round pick, Buffalo’s first-round pick, and the Rams’ first-round pick.

Obviously, in order for the Giants to even consider doing these deals, they’d have to believe they could eschew a drafted quarterback this year and Eli Manning would give them two more strong years (he’s slipped in recent seasons), and they’d have to have a willing partner in the Bills. Buffalo would have to be willing to denude the top of its next two drafts to get the quarterback it wants. I don’t expect both things to happen, but the Giants could do something historic this year.

9. I think teams should not be afraid of Baker Mayfield.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
There have been few better men to play the game of football than Jim Kelly.

Prayers for a successful surgery.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

How could the Rams afford Beckham, Gurley, Gofff, and Donald all on the same team?

If the Rams really are willing to use their first round pick on Odell Beckham, then it tells us a few things. 1. They obviously respect Beckham’s game. 2. They still are desperate to fill the hole left by Sammy. 3. They are not comfortable sitting back and handing the job to Josh Reynolds 4. If they don’t acquire Beckham, then receiver is a likely priority in the 2018 draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How could the Rams afford Beckham, Gurley, Gofff, and Donald all on the same team?

If the Rams really are willing to use their first round pick on Odell Beckham, then it tells us a few things. 1. They obviously respect Beckham’s game. 2. They still are desperate to fill the hole left by Sammy. 3. They are not comfortable sitting back and handing the job to Josh Reynolds 4. If they don’t acquire Beckham, then receiver is a likely priority in the 2018 draft.
I’ve asked the same question and been told it would be manageable.

Psycho_X

Legend
“I think the quarterback class is a hair overrated.” So says former NFL quarterback Chris Simms, now a Bleacher Reportanalyst.

You don't need to go dumpster diving for quotes Mr. King. There are not many opinions I think less of than from ex-NFL players with the last name Simms.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Chris Spielman

✔@chris_spielman

Simple solution to new target rules in NFL. 1. Eyes Up 2. Head Up 3.Wrap Up. We will se better tackling and the player will be safer . The game is NOT ruined . Coaches need to start demanding this from their players

Been saying this for awhile. My specific language was using Pete Carroll's technique, but that's basically what the Heads Up football initiative that they're teaching at the lower levels now.

In 10 years, we should be seeing a whole new crop of players that look with disdain on the old school "put your hat on the ball" technique/mentality.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
How things can quickly change in the NFL.

Seems like just the other day when the Raiders had cap dollars coming out their ears. Something like $80 million, wasn’t it?

Now, they’re cap strapped and forced to cut a top punter to save a lousy $2.9 million.

I would sure hate to see the Rams get into such a situation by trading for OBJ.

Food for thought, anyway.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
King makes a great case for OBJ being worth 2 firsts. I wish it were that simple, but there are other relevant factors that were ignored.

The new salary and it’s cap impact on retaining future Ram FA’s could be like a wrecking ball.
OBJ’s antics and distraction impact.
The loss of the two players that could have been inexpensively added with those two 1sts and their team value over the next 10 years.
In McVay’s spread-it-around O, is OBJ really worth the two 1sts plus the #18 million per in bang for the buck? That’s a tough sell for me.
Do we know whether OBJ’s ankle is truly 100%?
Is OBJ a ticking time bomb for a drug suspension, and how, exactly, does that help this O?

Just to illustrate one possible negative impact of not having our 1st in ‘19 due to the trade, it’s reported that the ‘19 LOT class might be loaded and we might be desperately needing a top LOT to eventually replace Whit (maybe immediately). Wouldn’t it be a crying shame to see the Giants using our former 1st when a great LOT would have been sitting there for us? There we are, looking at a great LOT class and no pick until the 3rd round? Arrrrrgh!

And that’s just ONE possible negative scenario.

Look, we will win this year either with or without OBJ, so why go out on the limb? Keep the picks and keep the cap dollars in-house to be spent more wisely long term on our own upcoming UFA’s.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think there are valid arguments for both sides of the OBJ argument.

I see both. I get it.

I'll trust whatever our FO decides.

Also, we don't know if this is all theater to help NY deal with OBJ better. If it is, it's not working.

It's like mom saying, "if you don't straighten up, we're turning this car around right now, mister" and the kid answers, "good. I wasn't getting out of the car without an ice cream, anyway. Plus, I'm happy to go home."

So, the Giants have painted themselves into a corner.

OBJ and his team KNOW that they control the outcome of this. The ONLY thing the Giants are guaranteed to get is OBJ in the building for 6 weeks so that he can get credit for the season.

If they think Shurmur can rein in OBJ... well, good luck.

If I had to bet my money, I'd bet that he stays and they bullsheeit more with him, play infantile games and finally sign him to a massive deal during OTAs.

And OBJ will have won big time and there won't be squat anyone will be able to say to him (can anyone see why this is a bad idea???)

The most productive outcome is him coming to the Rams, but in life, that's all too often not a consideration.

Edit: just thought of this. If this happens and they do sign him to a long-term deal and the headaches continue, they'll be forced to trade him for a pittance since he'll have that huge salary to contend with and most teams aren't set up to deal with divas. I think it'll take until mid-season if not before when we hear rumblings of how they should have dealt him for the picks.

Ram65

Legend
If anything the Rams have to wait for the asking price to go down.

They have way to many needs this year and next to give up 2 first round picks. They have no second round pick next year either. That 18 Million a year can keep Goff healthy with some offensive lineman free agents and two first round picks can help as well.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so this lowering he helmet thing ... does it count for ball carriers too ? ive seen many a RB or TE drop thier helmet and plow over a guy

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All this talk of the Los Angeles Rams, in the news, getting great players, slated to be a winner for a long time, I almost forgot about that J.V. team, the Chargers, being somewhere in the vicinity.