Peter King: MMQB - 12/26/16(Recommends Asshole Face to coach the Rams)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it's a given on a message board that posters will disagree with other posters and sometimes we don't have time to devote to extensive replies.

I don't.

And I fully expect to be disagreeable.:neener:

It's merely a courtesy. If a member posts "You're wrong" without stating why, how does that help anyone? How does that further the conversation? A response doesn't have to be a long essay. A concise sentence or two will do.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
It's merely a courtesy. If a member posts "You're wrong" without stating why, how does that help anyone? How does that further the conversation? A response doesn't have to be a long essay. A concise sentence or two will do.
Exactly, disagree with me all you want I encourage it! But if you don't want to discuss our differences then why bother even saying you disagree? Except if you disagree with this then I don't want to hear it :p

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Exactly, disagree with me all you want I encourage it! But if you don't want to discuss our differences then why bother even saying you disagree? Except if you disagree with this then I don't want to hear it :p

200.gif

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Exactly, disagree with me all you want I encourage it! But if you don't want to discuss our differences then why bother even saying you disagree?

Or they can just give you the "thumbs down." Lord knows I have been receiving a few of those!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the idea of Peyton being a Parcells disciple.You seem to have done some
homework on the subject.Does he run as tight of a ship as Parcells?
Aside from finding someone who can develop this offense,we are a team
in dire need of accountability and discipline.
Did you hear the commentator talking about all the lazy routes
he saw in our game against the 49ers?Pathetic.

From what I know, he's somewhere in the middle between disciplinarian and player's coach.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Reading this thread and, in particular @jrry32's posts, I think I might be coming round to the idea of Payton as the next Rams' HC.

I admit that my concern was that he was a different version of Jeff Fisher (I wanted to say an offensive version of JF but that seems unfair). One of the things that always annoyed me about JF was his offensive philosophy. What business does JF have, as a defensive guy, having an offensive philosophy? And, to top it off, he couldn't even get it even vaguely right. There are plenty of teams out there in this one season alone who do 'Fisherball' better than Fisher ever has.

To hear that Payton has hired respected defensive co-ordinators in the past and left them to run the show without interference strikes a chord with me. Maybe if Snead and his scouting staff stick around, it could be a good match because one thing that has been done better than anything else during the Snisher era was finding gems on the defensive side of the ball (especially in the secondary).

Of course, we might not be able to afford Payton if the Saints want a first round pick for him. If they'd take a second, would it be worth it in a year when we don't have a first? Getting the right head coach is huge so, if Payton is the man, then a second would be fine by me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is some 7-9 ..... uh .... something.

de233e0728024960808650d97481cec7.jpeg

But he's 15-11 against the NFCW since he became head coach, so....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Saints are rebuilding. Trying to crawl out of the cap problems that Loomis created.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

2014 rank points 9, yards 1
2015 rank points 8, yards 2
2016 rank points 2, yards 1

Man, what would that look like with the Rams defense?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Saints are rebuilding. Trying to crawl out of the cap problems that Loomis created.
2014 rank points 9, yards 1
2015 rank points 8, yards 2
2016 rank points 2, yards 1

Man, what would that look like with the Rams defense?
No need to put your thumb on the scale, gentlemen.
7-9 is 7-9. 3X.
That's on the head coach. There are no valid extenuating circumstances.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No need to put your thumb on the scale, gentlemen.
7-9 is 7-9. 3X.
That's on the head coach. There are no valid extenuating circumstances.
Fair enough, New Orleans needs to let him go. He sure doesn't deserve his job there.
Boy I sure hope he gets a 2nd chance at a HC job somewhere, any jobs open??

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I agree about that button. I'll be happy to explain to you why.
1. Asshole Face is very different than Jeff Fisher. Note that Asshole Face's DCs in New Orleans all had strong track records before signing with the Saints. Payton allowed them a lot of leeway to choose the defensive scheme and philosophy. This is not true of Fisher. Payton sticks to what he knows. He hires respected defensive minds to handle the defense. When evaluating that sort of thing, you have to consider whether the failure of the defense is due to the head coach not staying in his lane, due to the personnel, or due to bad hires. In Payton's case, it's due to the personnel. That's not something Payton has a lot of control over. Jeff Fisher left a lot of good pieces on the defensive side of the ball.

2. Mike Smith isn't being considered because he's a defensive coach. We need someone who can get the best out of Goff.

3. It's easy to criticize Payton for "only" having 5 winning seasons in 10 years as a HC. But the fact is that the Saints had only 7 winning seasons from the franchise's founding in 1967 until Payton was hired in 2006. The Saints were also 1-5 in the playoffs over that span of time. Payton went 6-4 in the playoffs in his 10 years there. The Saints were not ever considered a well-run franchise prior to Payton. Truthfully, they still aren't. Their GM, Mickey Loomis, has completely whiffed on the defensive side of the ball. It's easy to blame Payton for the defense, but he's not the guy with personnel control. He's certainly not hiring unproven defensive coordinators or interfering with them. Nor is he overly loyal to them. I think most people would consider it impressive to coach the Browns to 5 winning seasons in 10 years. When Payton got to New Orleans, they weren't a lot different than the Browns.

4. Payton also is very different than Fisher because Jeff Fisher has 6 winning seasons in 22 years. Asshole Face has 5 winning seasons in 10 years. That's not similar. Further, Payton's offenses finished among the best in the NFL year in and year out during his tenure in New Orleans. That's not true of Fisher's defenses. Claiming that Fisher and Payton are both very good on one side of the ball is simply not an accurate comparison. Payton is elite on one side of the ball. Fisher is merely good. Fisher's teams have finished in the top 10 in points allowed three times in 22 years as a HC. Payton's teams have finished top 2 in points scored four times in 10 years as a HC. There is no comparison.

5. Look at the pieces we have and what we need. We have a lot of talented pieces on defense. We have a #1 overall QB and a talented HB. We need OL help, WR help, and a little work on the defense. What does Payton specialize in? Developing QBs, finding WRs outside of the first round, and building effective OLs. Those are things he's consistently shown the ability to do in New Orleans. Asshole Face and the Rams fit together like a puzzle piece. The things we need are the things he does best. The things we have are the things he hasn't shown himself to be especially great at.

That right there is a damned good post, jrry32.

Well done, sir!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Asshole Face is having the same issues that Andy Reid had in Philly and Tom Coughlin had in Jax. His GMs put rosters together that weren't that good. A few down years have led people to forget how great of a coach he is. All I have to say is look what Andy Reid is doing in KC. Look at what Coughlin did in New York.
And look at NY now. They invested in the defense, the DC is doing a great job and wham, top flight defense.

Rainram

Starter
I haven't read anything in this thread and haven't been around much this season in general...but...

Payton would be #1 choice at this point.

Just my two cents.