Peter King: MMQB - 12/26/16(Recommends Asshole Face to coach the Rams)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts. To read the whole article click the link below. PK's Asshole Face remark is at the bottom in the Things I Think section.
The Highs and the Lows of the NFL’s Holiday Weekend
From Antonio Brown’s season-saving stretch to Derek Carr’s nightmare fracture, Week 16 ran the gamut of emotions. Here’s a look at everything that went down, plus playoff scenarios, the 2017 draft race and more
By Peter King

mmqb-antonio-brown-stretch.jpg

Photo: Fred Vuich/Getty Images

I knew when I caught the ball, I would be short, below the line. But I knew I had to get my pads down on a couple of their guys. If I could get my pads down, and possibly reach the ball over, and that’s exactly what I did.

I got a glimpse of the player Antonio Brown strives to be in training camp in August, in Latrobe, Pa. Practice was over one afternoon around 5, and most of the players walked up the hill to the locker room, or stopped to sign some autographs. In the far end zone, away from almost everyone, was wide receiver Antonio Brown, with a ballboy and an assistant. Brown, in the previous two years, either led the league or tied for the league lead in receptions.

WhackTHUMP!

A ball was fed into the JUGS machine, and Brown, eight yards away, caught it in gloved hands.

WhackTHUMP!

In a different position, Brown caught another ball. And again, and again, and again.

He stayed for a long time, maybe 15 minutes. At other camps, receivers might catch 10 or 15. Brown far exceeded that (“I do 130 a day,” he said later). Then he had the ballboy toss him some high passes, difficult to catch, and the assistant, by rote, on pass after pass, mugged Brown—obviously to get him used to what he’d see in the regular season. The whole extra session lasted about 25 minutes.

I thought of that on Christmas evening, watching the last minute of the Steelers-Ravens game, the game that, as usual, had something gigantic riding on it. The AFC North would be won or lost in the next play or two. Baltimore led 27-24. Pittsburgh had the ball at the Ravens’ four-yard line. No timeouts. Second-and-goal, 13 seconds left.

It was almost cruel, that some team would lose here. Baltimore, the underdog, had led 20-10 with 14 minutes to go. The Steelers had drives of 75 and 90 yards to go up 24-20, but the Ravens inexorably churned down the field 75 yards for the go-ahead touchdown with 78 seconds left. Ravens 27, Steelers 24.

Baltimore had played so valiantly, but also had left the Steelers, with Ben Roethlisberger and Le’Veon Bell and Brown, time to grab at least a field goal to make this an overtime classic. The Ravens were so close to such an improbable win. And whoever lost would have that guts-ripped-out feeling.

The Steelers took over at the 25-yard line, and Bell said to Brown: “A.B., you gotta go down there and get the game-winner.” Seven completions, two timeouts, two clock-killing spikes, and here came that chance. Pittsburgh had no timeouts.

They could either take two shots into the end zone, or one shot in the field of play knowing they’d have to spike it quickly, or run once and then spike it. Roethlisberger threw an incut to Brown, who caught it at the Baltimore one-and-a-half, nowhere near a sideline.

Brown weighs 186 pounds. Three Ravens, weighing 208 (safety Matt Elam), 200 (safety Eric Weddle) and 232 (linebacker Zach Orr), converged on Brown.

You watched and thought, No way he’s getting in. And why the heck did Roethlisberger throw it so shy of the goal line so Brown won’t be able to get out of bounds? This game could end!!!

“I knew I couldn’t stop my feet,” Brown said from the Steelers’ locker room after the game. “l knew it was going to be close, and I knew I could get in there, somehow. I had to get my pads down and use leverage.”

Elam bounced off Brown. Weddle arm-barred Brown by the neck and tried to almost rope-tie him backward. Brown’s spindly legs, as he said, got low and pushed and pushed, and here came Orr, ready to blast Brown.

“I got a great trainer,” Brown said. “We always train and prepare for situations like that. I was able to get my shoulders down on those guys.”

Because Weddle had Brown by the neck, Brown’s arms were free. With two hands, he gripped the ball hard and reached for the goal line. He couldn’t see it, but he knew he was close. “I had no thought I’d be short,” said Brown. “No way. I had to be smart, and strong, and reach, and get the ball over the goal line. I was thinking touchdown.”

Back to the JUGS machine, and the mugging assistant. The hands, the grip, the fight. This was 640 pounds of Raven against 186 pounds of Steeler. The ball pierced the plane of the goal line clearly, and Brown pulled it back in. He never lost control of the ball, and it was never in danger of getting punched away.

“I was just going to find a way …

“MERRY CHRISTMAS!” Brown got interrupted at his locker just then, and there was a cacophony of voices, and he was gone for a minute, and then …

People kept congratulating Brown. Rightfully so. And he was overwhelmed.

“Extremely emotional after a game like this,” he said. “I’m pretty much holding it in right now. But I’m emotional. What a way to win a game. I’m just so happy.”

Glee in Pittsburgh. Third seed in the AFC tournament. Ravens go home for the winter. Down the hall in Heinz Field, one of the toughest locker rooms Ravens observers had seen. “You could hear a pin drop,” one guy in there said. Another: “Most crushed locker room I’ve ever seen.” It makes for great theater but soul-crushing moments.

Pittsburgh, on the right day in January, will be a tough out for the best teams in the league. Baltimore could have been too. That’s Week 16 football. Exciting to watch. Great to win. Horrible to lose.

mmqb-trav-kelce.jpg

Photo: Joe Amon/Getty Images

Wrapping up the rest of the weekend:

Playoff drama is over, except for a couple of things. The second and fifth AFC seeds (Oakland is two, as of today, and Kansas City is fifth) could flip. The NFC North will come down to game number 256—the Sunday night season finale on New Year’s Night, Green Bay at Detroit. More in a moment.

Derek Carr and the Raiders are heartbroken. Carr got knocked out of the Raiders-Colts game Saturday with a broken right fibula, and he’ll have surgery as early as today at a hospital in Los Angeles. It’s highly probable this legitimate MVP candidate on the stunning 12-3 Raiders is lost for the season, and that the Raiders will now go as far as backup Matt McGloin can take them. More in a bit from Carr in an emotional text message late Sunday night.

Merry Christmas, Cleveland. The Browns not only avoided the chance to go 0-16 with the 20-17 win over San Diego. They also moved closer to securing the top overall draft pick in 2017 by virtue of the 49ers breaking a 13-game losing streak with a win at Los Angeles. I plan to have a piece on the Browns on Wednesday at The MMQB; I just didn’t want to bury a good story with all the other impactful things happening this weekend.

The Super Bowl’s really going to be different this year. For the first time since 2003, neither Super Bowl team from the previous year will be in the playoffs the following year. Carolina and Denver were 27-5 in the regular season in 2015; this year they’re a combined 14-16. Denver’s lost three in a row by a combined 62-23, and Cam Newton’s the most inaccurate passer in football.

Here’s What We Know This Morning

mmqb-aaron-rodgers-jers.jpg

Photo: Matt Lutdke/AP

The truths about the 12-team playoff field:

• The AFC has nothing to play for but seeding in Week 17. New England and the AFC West winner (Oakland or Kansas City) will get the first-round byes, with the Patriots clinching the top seed with a win or an Oakland loss next Sunday. Pittsburgh will be the third seed and Houston four. The second-place AFC West team is in line to be seeded fifth, while Miami makes its first playoff appearance in eight years. The Dolphins’ reward, likely, is a wild-card game in Pittsburgh. Miami could move into the fifth seed with a home win over the Patriots and a Chiefs loss.

• In the NFC, Dallas has locked up the top seed. A home win for Atlanta against the Saints will make the Falcons the second seed. Protection-challenged Seattle (20 sacks of Russell Wilson in the past five weeks) and the Packers-Lions winner round out the top four seeds. The Giants didn’t score 20 points in any December game and will be on the road on wild-card weekend. The sixth seed is a hodgepodge.

• Your AFC playoff quarterbacks: Tom Brady, Alex Smith, Ben Roethlisberger … and Tom Savage (Houston), Matt McGloin or Connor Cook (Oakland), and Matt Moore or Ryan Tannehill (Miami). If Oakland’s the fifth seed, you could have an NFL playoff game with McGloin and Savage starting at quarterback. Yikes.

• Seeds below two you don’t want to face in January: In the NFC, Green Bay (winners of five straight by an average of 13.2 points); in the AFC, Pittsburgh (only team in the playoffs with a top-five quarterback, running back and wideout).

• Likeliest wild-card matchups: Oakland at Houston and Miami at Pittsburgh in the AFC; Washington at Seattle and the Giants at Green Bay in the NFC.

Carr Fine For Future, But That’s No Consolation Now

mmqb-derek-carr-injury.jpg

Photo: Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP

I got this text from Derek Carr, the Raiders’ 25-year-old MVP candidate, Sunday night:

Although this situation is the toughest thing I've ever faced in my football career, it will not stop me from coming back stronger than ever. I left everything I had out there on that field for my God, family, brothers on that team, and Raider nation. I felt so much love in that stadium as I was hopping off the field, and that same love is what my team will feel from me going forward. We still have work to do as a team, and goals to obtain. Although I may not be throwing the ball right now, I will do whatever I have to do to help US win.

Merry Christmas.
Derek

Carr got twisted awkwardly by Trent Cole of the Colts with 11 minutes left in Oakland’s 12th win of the season. He knew his leg was broken right away. He will have surgery early this week to repair the broken fibula, and recovery time for such injuries is usually six to eight weeks—but it’s useless to speculate on that until the surgery happens and the full scope of the damage is diagnosed.

Six weeks from today is the day after Super Bowl LI. But it’s unlikely the Raiders could win two or three hold-the-fort playoff games and land in the Super Bowl without Carr, and very little chance he’d be able to play by then anyway.

Carr spent Sunday resting with his family on Christmas east of Oakland. His agent, Tim Younger, spent time with Carr on Sunday.

“I feel so much for that kid,” Younger said. “His first year, they started 0-10 and ended the year 3-13, and he really wanted to see this team totally turn it around to 13-3. He feels like he let everybody down.”

Of course he didn’t. But here’s what important now—getting Matt McGloin (probably) or Connor Cook ready to play and win in January. It’s a tough reality of football that in a split second the season can be ruined. That’s what coach Jack Del Rio has to fight against, starting today, as the Raiders prepare to play at Denver with the second seed in the conference on the line.

It’s easy to say next man up. It’s harder think of the most important man on your team going down in the fourth quarter of Week 16 when you haven’t even been to the playoffs in forever.

Browns Can Get Their QB—If There Is One

Emily Kaplan of The MMQB had a good profile of North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky the other day. If Trubisky decides to eschew his final year of eligibility—lots of scouts think he will—he’d likely be a top-10 pick. Sometimes the market just fits the player, and there’s no telling what the market will be the following year.

But this year there’s some desperation to get a quarterback at the top of the draft. With a week to go before the draft order is finalized, the top three current teams all will be in the market for a quarterback, as will the Jets, who will pick somewhere around six.

Now, Trubisky played high school football at Mentor (Ohio) High, 24 miles east of the Browns’ field along the shore of Lake Erie. He’d clearly be a popular pick. And when he plays his bowl game on Friday—the Sun Bowl, against Stanford—you can be sure every team with half an eye on the 2017 quarterback market will be either in El Paso for the game or watching it.

But it’s early in the scouting process. The draft is 17-and-a-half weeks away. If anyone tells you they know whom Team X wants to pick, they’re crazy. They might have a feel; they might “love” a player. But without the full time to research players, there’s no way a team knows its draft order at the end of December—never mind without knowing if a player is even coming out.

The top 10 entering Week 17:

Team
1. Cleveland
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Jacksonville
5. *Tennessee
6. N.Y. Jets
7. San Diego
8. Cincinnati
9. Carolina
10.^Cleveland
* Tennessee acquired this pick from Los Angeles via the Rams’ trade-up for Jared Goff.
^ Cleveland acquired this pick from the Eagles when Philadelphia traded up for Carson Wentz.

Not as Tough as MVP, But Try Picking Top Coach

mmqb-belichick-garrett.jpg

Photo: Mike Stone/Getty Images

I wrote about the MVP vote the other day, with Derek Carr, Matt Ryan, Dak Prescott, Tom Brady and Ezekiel Elliott as my top five after 14 games. Now, with Carr’s injury? I’ll stay the same now, but as I always say, these things change, and you should keep an open mind, and the gap between Carr and Ryan and the Dallas candidates is paper thin, and Brady is a very good candidate too … so we’ll see how it plays out, because it should be a 16-game award.

I see the coach of the year a bit more clearly … but still open. My top three:

1. Bill Belichick, New England. Why this year? New England went 12-4 in the regular season each year between 2012 and 2015. This season was significantly more challenging for the Patriots, and they’re 13-2 with a game to play. With the distraction of the Tom Brady melodrama, then going 3-1 with the second and third quarterbacks playing, then going 10-1 with Brady back, while dumping your two best defensive players (Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins) …

I understand putting other coaches/coaches-plus-architects above Belichick, but I think this is one of the best seasons of a top three all-time coach.

2. Jack Del Rio, Oakland. What Del Rio had to do, inheriting a team after 4-12, 4-12 and 3-13 seasons, is fix the mindset and belief that this team couldn’t win. Some of that is nebulous, because you can’t tell how much is the coach and how much is the will of people like Derek Carr.

What I know is that these players trust and believe in Del Rio, and they think he’s the man for a rebuilding job, because he trusts his players and lets them err as long as they’re erring with full effort. The Raiders will likely be either the second or fifth seed in the AFC tournament, and Del Rio’s a huge reason why.

3. Jason Garrett, Dallas. Hard to minimize the flat-line emotion that Garrett has provided in the midst of such a huge transition. He’s always had to walk the line between an owner who is very involved and a coaching staff trying to be independent and doing the best thing to win every week.

But Garrett had to sign off on Ezekiel Elliott (which he did, gladly) and on Dak Prescott (ditto) in the draft. Then he coached them, and adjusted to life with Tony Romo, and made it all work. He’s an underrated coach for his approach and for, in a Steve Kerr kind of way, getting everyone on the same page when you’ve got a bunch of big egos to soothe.

The rest: 4. Adam Gase, Miami; 5. Dan Quinn, Atlanta; 6. Mike Mularkey, Tennessee; 7. Dirk Koetter, Tampa Bay; 8. Mike McCarthy, Green Bay; 9. Jim Caldwell, Detroit; 10. Andy Reid, Kansas City.

Quite a Few 2017 Schedule Highlights

As the standings begin to get set in stone, so do a few interesting scheduling nuggets for 2017:

• A rematch of a great Super Bowl. In Super Bowl 45 at the new Cowboys’ stadium in Arlington, Aaron Rodgers outlasted Ben Roethlisberger 31-25 in a great game highlighted by some big-time throws. Rodgers was hurt when the two sides played in 2013; Pittsburgh won that one at Lambeau 38-31. In 2017, they’ll meet at Heinz Field.

One other note: One of the great games in recent NFL history happened in the only other Rodgers-Roethlisberger meeting at Heinz Field. In 2009, Roethlisberger threw for 503 yards in the Steelers’ 37-36 cliffhanger victory. What a bum Rodgers was that day. He threw for only 383, and three touchdowns.

• One versus two, 2016 edition. Carson Wentz and the Eagles play at Jared Goff and the Rams.

• An Oregon reunion. Marcus Mariota and the Titans will play at Chip Kelly and the Niners—assuming someone doesn’t do something stupid and whack Kelly as San Francisco coach.

• Tom Brady’s going to have some fun QB-vs.-QB games. Among their 10 games out of the division, the Patriots and 40-year-old quarterback Brady (he turns 40 next August) will host Cam Newton, Matt Ryan and Philip Rivers in Foxboro next season.

The Patriots will play at Oakland and Tampa Bay (first games ever for Brady against Derek Carr and Jameis Winston) and at Pittsburgh and New Orleans (Ben Roethlisberger and Drew Brees, obviously). Most of those matchups have national TV written all over them.

Early in my career covering the NFL, I asked Giants coach Bill Parcells why he and GM George Young churned the bottom of the roster so much. Parcells said the guys on the bottom of the roster would either win a game for you at some point of the season or lose a game for you.

Those guys lost one for San Diego on Saturday. And one of the churnees—who has played better than that since the Browns claimed him off waivers from Baltimore—won it for Cleveland.

The involved parties:

• Long-snapper Mike Windt, San Diego. Second NFL team. Undrafted in 2010; waived once.

• Guard Kenny Wiggins, San Diego. Third NFL team. Undrafted in 2011; waived six times.

• Kicker Josh Lambo, San Diego. First NFL team. Undrafted in 2015. Signed by San Diego as free-agent.

• Defensive lineman Jamie Meder, Cleveland. Second NFL team. Undrafted in 2014; waived twice.

Meder broke through the gap between Windt and Wiggins to block Lambo’s kick and preserve Cleveland’s 20-17 lead late in the fourth quarter.

The best roster architects are the ones who never rest about the guys at the bottom of the roster.

• Jerry Jones, on Michael Irvin’s early take on Dak Prescott: “When we lost [Tony] Romo, there was huge pressure to immediately make a trade to go get a veteran quarterback. Huge pressure. And we ended up with Mark Sanchez, but that was after the season started. What we wanted to do, though, and this was a very conscious effort, we had seen just enough of [Prescott] on campus, that we wanted to see him take the reins in preseason.

So he stepped in as the starting quarterback with our first group, stepped in against the Rams in the L.A. Coliseum, completely sold out, 85,000, 90,000 people. I’ll never forget this. I am sitting with Michael Irvin watching Dak, and he throws a back shoulder to Dez [Bryant], and makes a touchdown his first drive. He takes it right down the field against the Rams. I punch Michael and I say, ‘Did you just see that kid? Look at the way he took that team down and made it.’ He said, ‘Well, I might have missed that.’

And I said, ‘What are you looking at?’ And he said, ‘I’m looking at every one of the players. If they are not out on the field, they are on the white [sideline] and every one of them is hanging on every move he is making. He’s inspired the whole team.’ He said, ‘You know, Jerry, it takes more than one guy to inspire the whole team. This guy is inspirational.’”

• Jones, on Tony Romo’s only public statement since coming back, ceding the job to Prescott: “He didn’t talk to me about it or anybody about it, and he goes out and makes that statement. He doesn’t talk to anybody, calls his own meeting, doesn’t talk to our PR guy about content in any way. He steps up and says what he said from the heart.”

Things I Think I Think

1. I think these are my quick notes of analysis from Week 16:

a. Darren Sproles is a marvel, a career underrated field-tilter.

b. The Steelers’ Christmas Day uniforms—all black but for marigold numbers and names and pant stripes—are the best uniforms in the NFL this year.

c. If you’re a Vikings fan, and you’re bitterly disappointed about being 2-8 since your 5-0 start, and 34-6 and 38-25 losses the last two weeks, you should be. And you should be ticked off about defensive players who think they know more about the scheme than Mike Zimmer.

d. That’s 23 touchdowns in four Tennessee seasons for tight end Delanie Walker. In what has been mostly a bad offense since he arrived in 2013, that’s pretty darned good. For reference, Martellus Bennett has 20 in that same time span.

e. David Johnson, Le’Veon Bell, Ezekiel Elliott … it’s a golden year for the versatile running back.

f. Le’Veon Bell picks the hole and practices patience better than any other back in years.

g. Great call by Chip Kelly, down one and going for two with 31 seconds left in a game that meant absolutely nothing except for this: showing your players that despite 13 straight losses the coach still has faith they can make a play to win.

h. After watching 2014 Baltimore undrafted free agent Zach Orr make plays week after week all season and become indispensable, hats off to the Ravens’ scouting staff. They know how to find inside ’backers for free (see Bart Scott, Jameel McClain).

i. Steelers kicker Chris Boswell twice kicking the ball out of bounds, handing the Ravens the ball at the 40 two times in a division championship game is … well, about the worst thing a kicker can do.

j. I’ve said it before and will say it again: Tyreek Hill could be the difference in the AFC playoffs, and his 70-yard touchdown sprint in the K.C. win over Denver is just one more example.

2. I think if I’m the Rams, I’m looking into Asshole Face thoroughly. This is the year, I believe, that Payton can be had from the Saints. He needs a new challenge. A coach as good as he is, with a quarterback as good as Drew Brees, should not be 38-40 in the past five regular seasons.

And the Rams need a coach who will make it uncomfortable to lose. Payton has some Bill Parcells in him—a lot, in fact—and does not suffer player-fools. And the Rams need someone who knows how to coach a young quarterback. Not saying they should sell out for Payton—just saying the Rams should look into him and see if he’s a good fit.

3. I think, sometimes, things just run their course. Payton’s run his course in New Orleans. Nothing wrong with that; Parcells ran his course in New York, and New England, and then with the Jets. Eleven years in football coaching is an eternity. The Saints might benefit with a new voice.

Maybe Dennis Allen, who’s done a good job with a defense that has a lot of holes. Payton has time left on his contract, and so it would require draft-choice compensation … but not a first-rounder. (Which is good, since Los Angeles doesn’t have one, with Tennessee getting it after the trade-up-for-Goff deal.) It’s a deal I’d be interested in from both sides.

4. I think I wasn’t sure about this until quite recently, and I’m not positive it’ll happen. But the Chargers’ coaching job is in play. Mike McCoy is endangered entering the final week of the season.

5. I think if the Chargers move to Los Angeles for the 2017 season—which is increasingly very likely—my money is on them playing at the StubHub Center (formerly Home Depot Center) in the southern L.A. suburb of Carson. Capacity: 27,000. Now that’d be interesting for two years.

The Chargers are serious about making that home for two years, in part because they know they’re not going to fill the cavernous Coliseum, in part because they’d like to develop a fandom that would love to see NFL games up close and personal.

6. I think the Chargers are still open to local entreaties to stay in San Diego, but three interesting things about the odds they’d face in getting a new stadium either downtown or by refurbishing Qualcomm Stadium:

• Architects have not studied this with finality, but it could cost as much as $300 million to retrofit Qualcomm to today’s standards to withstand earthquakes.

• The Chargers spent $10 million on ads and promotions before the November vote in San Diego on a new hotel/motel tax that would not cost local citizenry any tax money unless they stayed in local hotels. The opposition to the Chargers’ vote spent $200,000. The Chargers needed 67 percent of the vote for the measure to pass. They got 43 percent. In other words, the organization has zero confidence that it could win any public referendum for a new stadium.

• Let’s say Dean Spanos moves to Los Angeles, and let’s say (as I believe will happen) he struggles mightily to get a fan base there. The Steve Ballmer purchase of the Clippers for $2 billion tells me if an NFL franchise in Los Angeles ever was for sale, the Spanos family would make a killing.

I’m not saying Dean Spanos would move to Los Angeles with the intent in his mind it’s going to fail and he’ll sell for $3.5 billion in 2021 … but that’s got to be a nice little safety-net thought in his head when he goes to bed at night.

7. I think it’s always smart to remember at this time of year (a week from today is BLACK MONDAY WITH ALL THE NEWS ABOUT COACH FIRINGS COMING RIGHT UP!!!) that coaches have lives, and with the firing of each coach comes the firing of 18 to 22 other coaches and their families as well. It’s the lives they bought into, and they lives they love—except for times like this.

I asked former defensive end Austen Lane, who wrote for The MMQB in 2013 on the experience of being fired by the Jaguars, to tell me his thoughts on Gus Bradley. I find Bradley to be one of the most sincere and earnest and nicest people I’ve met in this business—among coaches, players, team officials, whoever. This comes from Lane:

“The moment I knew Coach Bradley was a man of integrity and high character was the day I found out I was getting released by the Jaguars. Every head coach handles the process of cutting a player differently. Some coaches will give you a generic, We’re going in a different direction, with a handshake and an exit-stage-left, while some coaches won’t even meet with a player or provide an explanation. Coach Bradley walked with me into the general manager’s office and sat in a chair right next to me as it was announced I would be let go.

It was almost like he wanted to be there to help absorb the gut shot I received. After meeting with the GM, Dave Caldwell, Coach Bradley invited me to his office to meet with him one-on-one. There wasn’t any generic phrase or rushed handshake to get me out. You could tell he genuinely cared about my well-being and made every effort in reminding me that if I ever needed anything, to give him a call. All this coming from a guy I only knew for three weeks.”

8. I think the 49ers are going to throw someone overboard after the season, and GM Trent Baalke is the most logical choice. Baalke is a good football man, but I’ve heard his job is in grave danger. Going 7-24 post-Jim Harbaugh is not a ringing endorsement for his future. Even if the Niners do make a change, they’d better figure out a way to fix the quarterback. And soon.

9. I think it’s amazing, and a sign of how fast things change in the NFL, that of the four teams in California, three will likely change a coach or GM this offseason—and the only stable team will be Oakland.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again I know some are anti Payton because of his defense have been as bad as Jeff Fisher's offense, but the difference is Asshole Face has hired renown coordinators. Gregg Williams finally got them a Super Bowl so that was a big hire although it ended in a bad divorce. He then switched to the 3-4 and hired Rob Ryan which was a mistake, but going to the 3-4 Ryan was a name that was available and since then realized his mistake and went back to the 4-3 with Dennis Allen coordinating the defense and although not being in the top tier, it's far better than the last two years.

Overall with Payton you would not read that Todd Gurley believes it's a High School offense and Goff would be a huge benefactor of this hire, that is for sure. Payton with Gus Bradley as DC would be okay with me that's for sure because I am sure getting tired of watching Johnny Hekker being the best part of the Ram offense.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Again I know some are anti Payton because of his defense have been as bad as Jeff Fisher's offense, but the difference is Asshole Face has hired renown coordinators. Gregg Williams finally got them a Super Bowl so that was a big hire although it ended in a bad divorce. He then switched to the 3-4 and hired Rob Ryan which was a mistake, but going to the 3-4 Ryan was a name that was available and since then realized his mistake and went back to the 4-3 with Dennis Allen coordinating the defense and although not being in the top tier, it's far better than the last two years.

Overall with Payton you would not read that Todd Gurley believes it's a High School offense and Goff would be a huge benefactor of this hire, that is for sure. Payton with Gus Bradley as DC would be okay with me that's for sure because I am sure getting tired of watching Johnny Hekker being the best part of the Ram offense.

I wouldn't be opposed to Payton.

A good 4-3 DC is a must though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
King has it right. Payton is a great fit at this point in time. Build it around him and sit back and watch this team ascend.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I think they have had some salary cap issues there as well, which has hurt them on the talent acquisition side. But with the Rams job being a plum job, he being a big name, the Rams having some good defensive pieces to work with, and this being LA, I have no doubt that Payton could attract a quality DC. Gus Bradley would be a definite possibility.

And there is no doubt that Payton could fix the offense and develop Goff. Brees was an above average QB when Payton got him, now he's a first ballot HOFer. In Payton's time with the Saints, they've had good WRs but no Megatron-AJ Green-Julio Jones type superstars, and they've still had a great offense regardless. He's good with the smaller, gadget guys which means he would probably find a role of Tavon Austin to make a significant impact in this offense. Oh, and he's won a Super Bowl.

If the compensation isn't too steep, I think Payton is a no-brainer, even acknowledging some of the other quality candidates out there.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
These are excerpts. To read the whole article click the link below. PK's Asshole Face remark is at the bottom in the Things I Think section.
The Highs and the Lows of the NFL’s Holiday Weekend
From Antonio Brown’s season-saving stretch to Derek Carr’s nightmare fracture, Week 16 ran the gamut of emotions. Here’s a look at everything that went down, plus playoff scenarios, the 2017 draft race and more
By Peter King

mmqb-antonio-brown-stretch.jpg

Photo: Fred Vuich/Getty Images

I knew when I caught the ball, I would be short, below the line. But I knew I had to get my pads down on a couple of their guys. If I could get my pads down, and possibly reach the ball over, and that’s exactly what I did.

I got a glimpse of the player Antonio Brown strives to be in training camp in August, in Latrobe, Pa. Practice was over one afternoon around 5, and most of the players walked up the hill to the locker room, or stopped to sign some autographs. In the far end zone, away from almost everyone, was wide receiver Antonio Brown, with a ballboy and an assistant. Brown, in the previous two years, either led the league or tied for the league lead in receptions.

WhackTHUMP!

A ball was fed into the JUGS machine, and Brown, eight yards away, caught it in gloved hands.

WhackTHUMP!

In a different position, Brown caught another ball. And again, and again, and again.

He stayed for a long time, maybe 15 minutes. At other camps, receivers might catch 10 or 15. Brown far exceeded that (“I do 130 a day,” he said later). Then he had the ballboy toss him some high passes, difficult to catch, and the assistant, by rote, on pass after pass, mugged Brown—obviously to get him used to what he’d see in the regular season. The whole extra session lasted about 25 minutes.

I thought of that on Christmas evening, watching the last minute of the Steelers-Ravens game, the game that, as usual, had something gigantic riding on it. The AFC North would be won or lost in the next play or two. Baltimore led 27-24. Pittsburgh had the ball at the Ravens’ four-yard line. No timeouts. Second-and-goal, 13 seconds left.

It was almost cruel, that some team would lose here. Baltimore, the underdog, had led 20-10 with 14 minutes to go. The Steelers had drives of 75 and 90 yards to go up 24-20, but the Ravens inexorably churned down the field 75 yards for the go-ahead touchdown with 78 seconds left. Ravens 27, Steelers 24.

Baltimore had played so valiantly, but also had left the Steelers, with Ben Roethlisberger and Le’Veon Bell and Brown, time to grab at least a field goal to make this an overtime classic. The Ravens were so close to such an improbable win. And whoever lost would have that guts-ripped-out feeling.

The Steelers took over at the 25-yard line, and Bell said to Brown: “A.B., you gotta go down there and get the game-winner.” Seven completions, two timeouts, two clock-killing spikes, and here came that chance. Pittsburgh had no timeouts.

They could either take two shots into the end zone, or one shot in the field of play knowing they’d have to spike it quickly, or run once and then spike it. Roethlisberger threw an incut to Brown, who caught it at the Baltimore one-and-a-half, nowhere near a sideline.

Brown weighs 186 pounds. Three Ravens, weighing 208 (safety Matt Elam), 200 (safety Eric Weddle) and 232 (linebacker Zach Orr), converged on Brown.

You watched and thought, No way he’s getting in. And why the heck did Roethlisberger throw it so shy of the goal line so Brown won’t be able to get out of bounds? This game could end!!!

“I knew I couldn’t stop my feet,” Brown said from the Steelers’ locker room after the game. “l knew it was going to be close, and I knew I could get in there, somehow. I had to get my pads down and use leverage.”

Elam bounced off Brown. Weddle arm-barred Brown by the neck and tried to almost rope-tie him backward. Brown’s spindly legs, as he said, got low and pushed and pushed, and here came Orr, ready to blast Brown.

“I got a great trainer,” Brown said. “We always train and prepare for situations like that. I was able to get my shoulders down on those guys.”

Because Weddle had Brown by the neck, Brown’s arms were free. With two hands, he gripped the ball hard and reached for the goal line. He couldn’t see it, but he knew he was close. “I had no thought I’d be short,” said Brown. “No way. I had to be smart, and strong, and reach, and get the ball over the goal line. I was thinking touchdown.”

Back to the JUGS machine, and the mugging assistant. The hands, the grip, the fight. This was 640 pounds of Raven against 186 pounds of Steeler. The ball pierced the plane of the goal line clearly, and Brown pulled it back in. He never lost control of the ball, and it was never in danger of getting punched away.

“I was just going to find a way …

“MERRY CHRISTMAS!” Brown got interrupted at his locker just then, and there was a cacophony of voices, and he was gone for a minute, and then …

People kept congratulating Brown. Rightfully so. And he was overwhelmed.

“Extremely emotional after a game like this,” he said. “I’m pretty much holding it in right now. But I’m emotional. What a way to win a game. I’m just so happy.”

Glee in Pittsburgh. Third seed in the AFC tournament. Ravens go home for the winter. Down the hall in Heinz Field, one of the toughest locker rooms Ravens observers had seen. “You could hear a pin drop,” one guy in there said. Another: “Most crushed locker room I’ve ever seen.” It makes for great theater but soul-crushing moments.

Pittsburgh, on the right day in January, will be a tough out for the best teams in the league. Baltimore could have been too. That’s Week 16 football. Exciting to watch. Great to win. Horrible to lose.

mmqb-trav-kelce.jpg

Photo: Joe Amon/Getty Images

Wrapping up the rest of the weekend:

Playoff drama is over, except for a couple of things. The second and fifth AFC seeds (Oakland is two, as of today, and Kansas City is fifth) could flip. The NFC North will come down to game number 256—the Sunday night season finale on New Year’s Night, Green Bay at Detroit. More in a moment.

Derek Carr and the Raiders are heartbroken. Carr got knocked out of the Raiders-Colts game Saturday with a broken right fibula, and he’ll have surgery as early as today at a hospital in Los Angeles. It’s highly probable this legitimate MVP candidate on the stunning 12-3 Raiders is lost for the season, and that the Raiders will now go as far as backup Matt McGloin can take them. More in a bit from Carr in an emotional text message late Sunday night.

Merry Christmas, Cleveland. The Browns not only avoided the chance to go 0-16 with the 20-17 win over San Diego. They also moved closer to securing the top overall draft pick in 2017 by virtue of the 49ers breaking a 13-game losing streak with a win at Los Angeles. I plan to have a piece on the Browns on Wednesday at The MMQB; I just didn’t want to bury a good story with all the other impactful things happening this weekend.

The Super Bowl’s really going to be different this year. For the first time since 2003, neither Super Bowl team from the previous year will be in the playoffs the following year. Carolina and Denver were 27-5 in the regular season in 2015; this year they’re a combined 14-16. Denver’s lost three in a row by a combined 62-23, and Cam Newton’s the most inaccurate passer in football.

Here’s What We Know This Morning

mmqb-aaron-rodgers-jers.jpg

Photo: Matt Lutdke/AP

The truths about the 12-team playoff field:

• The AFC has nothing to play for but seeding in Week 17. New England and the AFC West winner (Oakland or Kansas City) will get the first-round byes, with the Patriots clinching the top seed with a win or an Oakland loss next Sunday. Pittsburgh will be the third seed and Houston four. The second-place AFC West team is in line to be seeded fifth, while Miami makes its first playoff appearance in eight years. The Dolphins’ reward, likely, is a wild-card game in Pittsburgh. Miami could move into the fifth seed with a home win over the Patriots and a Chiefs loss.

• In the NFC, Dallas has locked up the top seed. A home win for Atlanta against the Saints will make the Falcons the second seed. Protection-challenged Seattle (20 sacks of Russell Wilson in the past five weeks) and the Packers-Lions winner round out the top four seeds. The Giants didn’t score 20 points in any December game and will be on the road on wild-card weekend. The sixth seed is a hodgepodge.

• Your AFC playoff quarterbacks: Tom Brady, Alex Smith, Ben Roethlisberger … and Tom Savage (Houston), Matt McGloin or Connor Cook (Oakland), and Matt Moore or Ryan Tannehill (Miami). If Oakland’s the fifth seed, you could have an NFL playoff game with McGloin and Savage starting at quarterback. Yikes.

• Seeds below two you don’t want to face in January: In the NFC, Green Bay (winners of five straight by an average of 13.2 points); in the AFC, Pittsburgh (only team in the playoffs with a top-five quarterback, running back and wideout).

• Likeliest wild-card matchups: Oakland at Houston and Miami at Pittsburgh in the AFC; Washington at Seattle and the Giants at Green Bay in the NFC.

Carr Fine For Future, But That’s No Consolation Now

mmqb-derek-carr-injury.jpg

Photo: Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP

I got this text from Derek Carr, the Raiders’ 25-year-old MVP candidate, Sunday night:

Although this situation is the toughest thing I've ever faced in my football career, it will not stop me from coming back stronger than ever. I left everything I had out there on that field for my God, family, brothers on that team, and Raider nation. I felt so much love in that stadium as I was hopping off the field, and that same love is what my team will feel from me going forward. We still have work to do as a team, and goals to obtain. Although I may not be throwing the ball right now, I will do whatever I have to do to help US win.

Merry Christmas.
Derek

Carr got twisted awkwardly by Trent Cole of the Colts with 11 minutes left in Oakland’s 12th win of the season. He knew his leg was broken right away. He will have surgery early this week to repair the broken fibula, and recovery time for such injuries is usually six to eight weeks—but it’s useless to speculate on that until the surgery happens and the full scope of the damage is diagnosed.

Six weeks from today is the day after Super Bowl LI. But it’s unlikely the Raiders could win two or three hold-the-fort playoff games and land in the Super Bowl without Carr, and very little chance he’d be able to play by then anyway.

Carr spent Sunday resting with his family on Christmas east of Oakland. His agent, Tim Younger, spent time with Carr on Sunday.

“I feel so much for that kid,” Younger said. “His first year, they started 0-10 and ended the year 3-13, and he really wanted to see this team totally turn it around to 13-3. He feels like he let everybody down.”

Of course he didn’t. But here’s what important now—getting Matt McGloin (probably) or Connor Cook ready to play and win in January. It’s a tough reality of football that in a split second the season can be ruined. That’s what coach Jack Del Rio has to fight against, starting today, as the Raiders prepare to play at Denver with the second seed in the conference on the line.

It’s easy to say next man up. It’s harder think of the most important man on your team going down in the fourth quarter of Week 16 when you haven’t even been to the playoffs in forever.

Browns Can Get Their QB—If There Is One

Emily Kaplan of The MMQB had a good profile of North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky the other day. If Trubisky decides to eschew his final year of eligibility—lots of scouts think he will—he’d likely be a top-10 pick. Sometimes the market just fits the player, and there’s no telling what the market will be the following year.

But this year there’s some desperation to get a quarterback at the top of the draft. With a week to go before the draft order is finalized, the top three current teams all will be in the market for a quarterback, as will the Jets, who will pick somewhere around six.

Now, Trubisky played high school football at Mentor (Ohio) High, 24 miles east of the Browns’ field along the shore of Lake Erie. He’d clearly be a popular pick. And when he plays his bowl game on Friday—the Sun Bowl, against Stanford—you can be sure every team with half an eye on the 2017 quarterback market will be either in El Paso for the game or watching it.

But it’s early in the scouting process. The draft is 17-and-a-half weeks away. If anyone tells you they know whom Team X wants to pick, they’re crazy. They might have a feel; they might “love” a player. But without the full time to research players, there’s no way a team knows its draft order at the end of December—never mind without knowing if a player is even coming out.

The top 10 entering Week 17:

Team
1. Cleveland
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Jacksonville
5. *Tennessee
6. N.Y. Jets
7. San Diego
8. Cincinnati
9. Carolina
10.^Cleveland
* Tennessee acquired this pick from Los Angeles via the Rams’ trade-up for Jared Goff.
^ Cleveland acquired this pick from the Eagles when Philadelphia traded up for Carson Wentz.

Not as Tough as MVP, But Try Picking Top Coach

mmqb-belichick-garrett.jpg

Photo: Mike Stone/Getty Images

I wrote about the MVP vote the other day, with Derek Carr, Matt Ryan, Dak Prescott, Tom Brady and Ezekiel Elliott as my top five after 14 games. Now, with Carr’s injury? I’ll stay the same now, but as I always say, these things change, and you should keep an open mind, and the gap between Carr and Ryan and the Dallas candidates is paper thin, and Brady is a very good candidate too … so we’ll see how it plays out, because it should be a 16-game award.

I see the coach of the year a bit more clearly … but still open. My top three:

1. Bill Belichick, New England. Why this year? New England went 12-4 in the regular season each year between 2012 and 2015. This season was significantly more challenging for the Patriots, and they’re 13-2 with a game to play. With the distraction of the Tom Brady melodrama, then going 3-1 with the second and third quarterbacks playing, then going 10-1 with Brady back, while dumping your two best defensive players (Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins) …

I understand putting other coaches/coaches-plus-architects above Belichick, but I think this is one of the best seasons of a top three all-time coach.

2. Jack Del Rio, Oakland. What Del Rio had to do, inheriting a team after 4-12, 4-12 and 3-13 seasons, is fix the mindset and belief that this team couldn’t win. Some of that is nebulous, because you can’t tell how much is the coach and how much is the will of people like Derek Carr.

What I know is that these players trust and believe in Del Rio, and they think he’s the man for a rebuilding job, because he trusts his players and lets them err as long as they’re erring with full effort. The Raiders will likely be either the second or fifth seed in the AFC tournament, and Del Rio’s a huge reason why.

3. Jason Garrett, Dallas. Hard to minimize the flat-line emotion that Garrett has provided in the midst of such a huge transition. He’s always had to walk the line between an owner who is very involved and a coaching staff trying to be independent and doing the best thing to win every week.

But Garrett had to sign off on Ezekiel Elliott (which he did, gladly) and on Dak Prescott (ditto) in the draft. Then he coached them, and adjusted to life with Tony Romo, and made it all work. He’s an underrated coach for his approach and for, in a Steve Kerr kind of way, getting everyone on the same page when you’ve got a bunch of big egos to soothe.

The rest: 4. Adam Gase, Miami; 5. Dan Quinn, Atlanta; 6. Mike Mularkey, Tennessee; 7. Dirk Koetter, Tampa Bay; 8. Mike McCarthy, Green Bay; 9. Jim Caldwell, Detroit; 10. Andy Reid, Kansas City.

Quite a Few 2017 Schedule Highlights

As the standings begin to get set in stone, so do a few interesting scheduling nuggets for 2017:

• A rematch of a great Super Bowl. In Super Bowl 45 at the new Cowboys’ stadium in Arlington, Aaron Rodgers outlasted Ben Roethlisberger 31-25 in a great game highlighted by some big-time throws. Rodgers was hurt when the two sides played in 2013; Pittsburgh won that one at Lambeau 38-31. In 2017, they’ll meet at Heinz Field.

One other note: One of the great games in recent NFL history happened in the only other Rodgers-Roethlisberger meeting at Heinz Field. In 2009, Roethlisberger threw for 503 yards in the Steelers’ 37-36 cliffhanger victory. What a bum Rodgers was that day. He threw for only 383, and three touchdowns.

• One versus two, 2016 edition. Carson Wentz and the Eagles play at Jared Goff and the Rams.

• An Oregon reunion. Marcus Mariota and the Titans will play at Chip Kelly and the Niners—assuming someone doesn’t do something stupid and whack Kelly as San Francisco coach.

• Tom Brady’s going to have some fun QB-vs.-QB games. Among their 10 games out of the division, the Patriots and 40-year-old quarterback Brady (he turns 40 next August) will host Cam Newton, Matt Ryan and Philip Rivers in Foxboro next season.

The Patriots will play at Oakland and Tampa Bay (first games ever for Brady against Derek Carr and Jameis Winston) and at Pittsburgh and New Orleans (Ben Roethlisberger and Drew Brees, obviously). Most of those matchups have national TV written all over them.

Early in my career covering the NFL, I asked Giants coach Bill Parcells why he and GM George Young churned the bottom of the roster so much. Parcells said the guys on the bottom of the roster would either win a game for you at some point of the season or lose a game for you.

Those guys lost one for San Diego on Saturday. And one of the churnees—who has played better than that since the Browns claimed him off waivers from Baltimore—won it for Cleveland.

The involved parties:

• Long-snapper Mike Windt, San Diego. Second NFL team. Undrafted in 2010; waived once.

• Guard Kenny Wiggins, San Diego. Third NFL team. Undrafted in 2011; waived six times.

• Kicker Josh Lambo, San Diego. First NFL team. Undrafted in 2015. Signed by San Diego as free-agent.

• Defensive lineman Jamie Meder, Cleveland. Second NFL team. Undrafted in 2014; waived twice.

Meder broke through the gap between Windt and Wiggins to block Lambo’s kick and preserve Cleveland’s 20-17 lead late in the fourth quarter.

The best roster architects are the ones who never rest about the guys at the bottom of the roster.

• Jerry Jones, on Michael Irvin’s early take on Dak Prescott: “When we lost [Tony] Romo, there was huge pressure to immediately make a trade to go get a veteran quarterback. Huge pressure. And we ended up with Mark Sanchez, but that was after the season started. What we wanted to do, though, and this was a very conscious effort, we had seen just enough of [Prescott] on campus, that we wanted to see him take the reins in preseason.

So he stepped in as the starting quarterback with our first group, stepped in against the Rams in the L.A. Coliseum, completely sold out, 85,000, 90,000 people. I’ll never forget this. I am sitting with Michael Irvin watching Dak, and he throws a back shoulder to Dez [Bryant], and makes a touchdown his first drive. He takes it right down the field against the Rams. I punch Michael and I say, ‘Did you just see that kid? Look at the way he took that team down and made it.’ He said, ‘Well, I might have missed that.’

And I said, ‘What are you looking at?’ And he said, ‘I’m looking at every one of the players. If they are not out on the field, they are on the white [sideline] and every one of them is hanging on every move he is making. He’s inspired the whole team.’ He said, ‘You know, Jerry, it takes more than one guy to inspire the whole team. This guy is inspirational.’”

• Jones, on Tony Romo’s only public statement since coming back, ceding the job to Prescott: “He didn’t talk to me about it or anybody about it, and he goes out and makes that statement. He doesn’t talk to anybody, calls his own meeting, doesn’t talk to our PR guy about content in any way. He steps up and says what he said from the heart.”

Things I Think I Think

1. I think these are my quick notes of analysis from Week 16:

a. Darren Sproles is a marvel, a career underrated field-tilter.

b. The Steelers’ Christmas Day uniforms—all black but for marigold numbers and names and pant stripes—are the best uniforms in the NFL this year.

c. If you’re a Vikings fan, and you’re bitterly disappointed about being 2-8 since your 5-0 start, and 34-6 and 38-25 losses the last two weeks, you should be. And you should be ticked off about defensive players who think they know more about the scheme than Mike Zimmer.

d. That’s 23 touchdowns in four Tennessee seasons for tight end Delanie Walker. In what has been mostly a bad offense since he arrived in 2013, that’s pretty darned good. For reference, Martellus Bennett has 20 in that same time span.

e. David Johnson, Le’Veon Bell, Ezekiel Elliott … it’s a golden year for the versatile running back.

f. Le’Veon Bell picks the hole and practices patience better than any other back in years.

g. Great call by Chip Kelly, down one and going for two with 31 seconds left in a game that meant absolutely nothing except for this: showing your players that despite 13 straight losses the coach still has faith they can make a play to win.

h. After watching 2014 Baltimore undrafted free agent Zach Orr make plays week after week all season and become indispensable, hats off to the Ravens’ scouting staff. They know how to find inside ’backers for free (see Bart Scott, Jameel McClain).

i. Steelers kicker Chris Boswell twice kicking the ball out of bounds, handing the Ravens the ball at the 40 two times in a division championship game is … well, about the worst thing a kicker can do.

j. I’ve said it before and will say it again: Tyreek Hill could be the difference in the AFC playoffs, and his 70-yard touchdown sprint in the K.C. win over Denver is just one more example.

2. I think if I’m the Rams, I’m looking into Asshole Face thoroughly. This is the year, I believe, that Payton can be had from the Saints. He needs a new challenge. A coach as good as he is, with a quarterback as good as Drew Brees, should not be 38-40 in the past five regular seasons.

And the Rams need a coach who will make it uncomfortable to lose. Payton has some Bill Parcells in him—a lot, in fact—and does not suffer player-fools. And the Rams need someone who knows how to coach a young quarterback. Not saying they should sell out for Payton—just saying the Rams should look into him and see if he’s a good fit.

3. I think, sometimes, things just run their course. Payton’s run his course in New Orleans. Nothing wrong with that; Parcells ran his course in New York, and New England, and then with the Jets. Eleven years in football coaching is an eternity. The Saints might benefit with a new voice.

Maybe Dennis Allen, who’s done a good job with a defense that has a lot of holes. Payton has time left on his contract, and so it would require draft-choice compensation … but not a first-rounder. (Which is good, since Los Angeles doesn’t have one, with Tennessee getting it after the trade-up-for-Goff deal.) It’s a deal I’d be interested in from both sides.

4. I think I wasn’t sure about this until quite recently, and I’m not positive it’ll happen. But the Chargers’ coaching job is in play. Mike McCoy is endangered entering the final week of the season.

5. I think if the Chargers move to Los Angeles for the 2017 season—which is increasingly very likely—my money is on them playing at the StubHub Center (formerly Home Depot Center) in the southern L.A. suburb of Carson. Capacity: 27,000. Now that’d be interesting for two years.

The Chargers are serious about making that home for two years, in part because they know they’re not going to fill the cavernous Coliseum, in part because they’d like to develop a fandom that would love to see NFL games up close and personal.

6. I think the Chargers are still open to local entreaties to stay in San Diego, but three interesting things about the odds they’d face in getting a new stadium either downtown or by refurbishing Qualcomm Stadium:

• Architects have not studied this with finality, but it could cost as much as $300 million to retrofit Qualcomm to today’s standards to withstand earthquakes.

• The Chargers spent $10 million on ads and promotions before the November vote in San Diego on a new hotel/motel tax that would not cost local citizenry any tax money unless they stayed in local hotels. The opposition to the Chargers’ vote spent $200,000. The Chargers needed 67 percent of the vote for the measure to pass. They got 43 percent. In other words, the organization has zero confidence that it could win any public referendum for a new stadium.

• Let’s say Dean Spanos moves to Los Angeles, and let’s say (as I believe will happen) he struggles mightily to get a fan base there. The Steve Ballmer purchase of the Clippers for $2 billion tells me if an NFL franchise in Los Angeles ever was for sale, the Spanos family would make a killing.

I’m not saying Dean Spanos would move to Los Angeles with the intent in his mind it’s going to fail and he’ll sell for $3.5 billion in 2021 … but that’s got to be a nice little safety-net thought in his head when he goes to bed at night.

7. I think it’s always smart to remember at this time of year (a week from today is BLACK MONDAY WITH ALL THE NEWS ABOUT COACH FIRINGS COMING RIGHT UP!!!) that coaches have lives, and with the firing of each coach comes the firing of 18 to 22 other coaches and their families as well. It’s the lives they bought into, and they lives they love—except for times like this.

I asked former defensive end Austen Lane, who wrote for The MMQB in 2013 on the experience of being fired by the Jaguars, to tell me his thoughts on Gus Bradley. I find Bradley to be one of the most sincere and earnest and nicest people I’ve met in this business—among coaches, players, team officials, whoever. This comes from Lane:

“The moment I knew Coach Bradley was a man of integrity and high character was the day I found out I was getting released by the Jaguars. Every head coach handles the process of cutting a player differently. Some coaches will give you a generic, We’re going in a different direction, with a handshake and an exit-stage-left, while some coaches won’t even meet with a player or provide an explanation. Coach Bradley walked with me into the general manager’s office and sat in a chair right next to me as it was announced I would be let go.

It was almost like he wanted to be there to help absorb the gut shot I received. After meeting with the GM, Dave Caldwell, Coach Bradley invited me to his office to meet with him one-on-one. There wasn’t any generic phrase or rushed handshake to get me out. You could tell he genuinely cared about my well-being and made every effort in reminding me that if I ever needed anything, to give him a call. All this coming from a guy I only knew for three weeks.”

8. I think the 49ers are going to throw someone overboard after the season, and GM Trent Baalke is the most logical choice. Baalke is a good football man, but I’ve heard his job is in grave danger. Going 7-24 post-Jim Harbaugh is not a ringing endorsement for his future. Even if the Niners do make a change, they’d better figure out a way to fix the quarterback. And soon.

9. I think it’s amazing, and a sign of how fast things change in the NFL, that of the four teams in California, three will likely change a coach or GM this offseason—and the only stable team will be Oakland.

I keep forgetting how much of an ass hat King really is until I read another one of his dip shit articles.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-orlean...ts-dont-appear-eager-to-part-with-sean-payton

The NFL Network then reported Saturday that Payton is monitoring the Los Angeles Rams vacancy with “sincere interest” – though a move was described as “possible” rather than imminent or likely.

Of course, such a move would also be contingent on the Rams wanting Payton -- and wanting him enough to offer the Saints the proper level of compensation in return.

It makes sense that a high-profile job like Los Angeles could pique Payton’s interest. Not only is it a mega-market, but the Rams also have a stellar defensive base and a young quarterback and running back in Jared Goff and Todd Gurley to build around.

Goff has struggled as a rookie, but Payton seemed to have a positive outlook on him during the pre-draft process when the Saints scouted Goff before he ultimately went to L.A. with the No. 1 overall pick.

Payton legitimately considered other options last year -- with the San Francisco 49ers emerging as a possible landing spot, per sources, and the Indianapolis Colts were reportedly a consideration as well. Any move was ultimately nixed by one or both parties.

Payton’s mentor is Bill Parcells, who believed in moving on to other jobs rather than staying too long in one place. Payton has now been with New Orleans for 11 years, with his last winning season in 2013. So it remains possible that the right job could lure him away.

The decision would ultimately be up to owner Tom Benson and general manager Mickey Loomis. They wouldn’t force Payton to stay against his will, but they would surely demand proper compensation.

FRO

Legend
Asshole Face has 5 winning seasons in 10 years and would cost a draft pick. Mike Smith has 5 winning seasons in 7 years and doesn't get considered. Payton is so much like Fisher in where his team's are very good on one side of the ball and suck on the other. It would be more exciting than Fisherball for sure, just not sure if it would be more effective.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think people are under valuing Gurley in Peyton's offense. I think he would be a beast JMHO

FRO

Legend
Ok I now hate the different opinion button. I don't mind people disagreeing. Just tell me why.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Asshole Face has 5 winning seasons in 10 years and would cost a draft pick. Mike Smith has 5 winning seasons in 7 years and doesn't get considered. Payton is so much like Fisher in where his team's are very good on one side of the ball and suck on the other. It would be more exciting than Fisherball for sure, just not sure if it would be more effective.

Ok I now hate the different opinion button. I don't mind people disagreeing. Just tell me why.

I agree about that button. I'll be happy to explain to you why.
1. Asshole Face is very different than Jeff Fisher. Note that Asshole Face's DCs in New Orleans all had strong track records before signing with the Saints. Payton allowed them a lot of leeway to choose the defensive scheme and philosophy. This is not true of Fisher. Payton sticks to what he knows. He hires respected defensive minds to handle the defense. When evaluating that sort of thing, you have to consider whether the failure of the defense is due to the head coach not staying in his lane, due to the personnel, or due to bad hires. In Payton's case, it's due to the personnel. That's not something Payton has a lot of control over. Jeff Fisher left a lot of good pieces on the defensive side of the ball.

2. Mike Smith isn't being considered because he's a defensive coach. We need someone who can get the best out of Goff.

3. It's easy to criticize Payton for "only" having 5 winning seasons in 10 years as a HC. But the fact is that the Saints had only 7 winning seasons from the franchise's founding in 1967 until Payton was hired in 2006. The Saints were also 1-5 in the playoffs over that span of time. Payton went 6-4 in the playoffs in his 10 years there. The Saints were not ever considered a well-run franchise prior to Payton. Truthfully, they still aren't. Their GM, Mickey Loomis, has completely whiffed on the defensive side of the ball. It's easy to blame Payton for the defense, but he's not the guy with personnel control. He's certainly not hiring unproven defensive coordinators or interfering with them. Nor is he overly loyal to them. I think most people would consider it impressive to coach the Browns to 5 winning seasons in 10 years. When Payton got to New Orleans, they weren't a lot different than the Browns.

4. Payton also is very different than Fisher because Jeff Fisher has 6 winning seasons in 22 years. Asshole Face has 5 winning seasons in 10 years. That's not similar. Further, Payton's offenses finished among the best in the NFL year in and year out during his tenure in New Orleans. That's not true of Fisher's defenses. Claiming that Fisher and Payton are both very good on one side of the ball is simply not an accurate comparison. Payton is elite on one side of the ball. Fisher is merely good. Fisher's teams have finished in the top 10 in points allowed three times in 22 years as a HC. Payton's teams have finished top 2 in points scored four times in 10 years as a HC. There is no comparison.

5. Look at the pieces we have and what we need. We have a lot of talented pieces on defense. We have a #1 overall QB and a talented HB. We need OL help, WR help, and a little work on the defense. What does Payton specialize in? Developing QBs, finding WRs outside of the first round, and building effective OLs. Those are things he's consistently shown the ability to do in New Orleans. Asshole Face and the Rams fit together like a puzzle piece. The things we need are the things he does best. The things we have are the things he hasn't shown himself to be especially great at.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

'Different opinion' is not a negative mark against a member. We changed it from 'disagree' to make it as neutral as possible. That said, it's always a good idea to let the member know why you differ from their opinion, as @jrry32 did in the above post.

Lesson

Oh, really?

A few reasons.

1. Smith won 1 playoff game in Atlanta.
2. The previous 2 Rams HCs (Spags,Fisher) have both been defensive minded and have mixed reviews re:developing QBs. I recognize Smith was the HC that developed Ryan and deserves credit for that, however, Payton is offensive minded and seems to have a lot of credit for Brees' play in New Orleans.
3. It's important for the Rams to put a winning and entertaining product on the field before going into Inglewood as they need to sell PSLs. Another 2 seasons like the past 10 would be disastrous for the Rams re-developing a fan base in Los Angeles.

FRO

Legend
I agree about that button. I'll be happy to explain to you why.
1. Asshole Face is very different than Jeff Fisher. Note that Asshole Face's DCs in New Orleans all had strong track records before signing with the Saints. Payton allowed them a lot of leeway to choose the defensive scheme and philosophy. This is not true of Fisher. Payton sticks to what he knows. He hires respected defensive minds to handle the defense. When evaluating that sort of thing, you have to consider whether the failure of the defense is due to the head coach not staying in his lane, due to the personnel, or due to bad hires. In Payton's case, it's due to the personnel. That's not something Payton has a lot of control over. Jeff Fisher left a lot of good pieces on the defensive side of the ball.

2. Mike Smith isn't being considered because he's a defensive coach. We need someone who can get the best out of Goff.

3. It's easy to criticize Payton for "only" having 5 winning seasons in 10 years as a HC. But the fact is that the Saints had only 7 winning seasons from the franchise's founding in 1967 until Payton was hired in 2006. The Saints were also 1-5 in the playoffs over that span of time. Payton went 6-4 in the playoffs in his 10 years there. The Saints were not ever considered a well-run franchise prior to Payton. Truthfully, they still aren't. Their GM, Mickey Loomis, has completely whiffed on the defensive side of the ball. It's easy to blame Payton for the defense, but he's not the guy with personnel control. He's certainly not hiring unproven defensive coordinators or interfering with them. Nor is he overly loyal to them. I think most people would consider it impressive to coach the Browns to 5 winning seasons in 10 years. When Payton got to New Orleans, they weren't a lot different than the Browns.

4. Payton also is very different than Fisher because Jeff Fisher has 6 winning seasons in 22 years. Asshole Face has 5 winning seasons in 10 years. That's not similar. Further, Payton's offenses finished among the best in the NFL year in and year out during his tenure in New Orleans. That's not true of Fisher's defenses. Claiming that Fisher and Payton are both very good on one side of the ball is simply not an accurate comparison. Payton is elite on one side of the ball. Fisher is merely good. Fisher's teams have finished in the top 10 in points allowed three times in 22 years as a HC. Payton's teams have finished top 2 in points scored four times in 10 years as a HC. There is no comparison.

5. Look at the pieces we have and what we need. We have a lot of talented pieces on defense. We have a #1 overall QB and a talented HB. We need OL help, WR help, and a little work on the defense. What does Payton specialize in? Developing QBs, finding WRs outside of the first round, and building effective OLs. Those are things he's consistently shown the ability to do in New Orleans. Asshole Face and the Rams fit together like a puzzle piece. The things we need are the things he does best. The things we have are the things he hasn't shown himself to be especially great at.
I appreciate someone who disagrees with me spelling out why and laying out a case. Thank you. It's a discussion forum and disagreements make it interesting as long as people are respectful, like this case.

I just feel like he's never had a balanced team. Even with the great coordinators his defenses always suck. That's a major concern for me. He is great at finding receivers. Not sure how great he is at developing QBs. Brees was a developed QB already. He has gotten Brees to play at an historic level though.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I appreciate someone who disagrees with me spelling out why and laying out a case. Thank you. It's a discussion forum and disagreements make it interesting as long as people are respectful, like this case.

I just feel like he's never had a balanced team. Even with the great coordinators his defenses always suck. That's a major concern for me. He is great at finding receivers. Not sure how great he is at developing QBs. Brees was a developed QB already. He has gotten Brees to play at an historic level though.

Defenses *always* suck??

View: https://youtu.be/7sDdlJbBPLc

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's certainly not hiring unproven defensive coordinators or interfering with them. Nor is he overly loyal to them.

This to me is the main difference between him and Fisher and it's the reason why I'd like him. He hires competent people and lets them do their jobs. Put him with a good GM and I think that's a recipe for a sustained winning team. Has he ever had roster control or just input on draft picks?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He had two teams in his 10 years as a HC that finished in the top 10 in points allowed. Fisher had three in 22 years as a HC that finished in the top 10 in points allowed. The difference between the two on that side of the ball is that Payton's defenses are typically either very good or very bad. There are very few years where they're middle of the pack. Fisher's defenses have generally not been great or terrible. They're typically somewhere in the middle.

As for his ability to develop QBs, Brees was a good QB when he left Marty Schottenheimer. He became elite under Payton. Plus, Payton was Tony Romo's coach during the time he was a backup in Dallas. So even if we don't give him credit for Brees, he'd get credit for Romo. You also could very arguably credit him from taking Kerry Collins from a bust to a solid starting QB when Payton was with the Giants.