Peter King: MMQB - 12/15/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/15/nfl-week-15-winners-losers/

rodgers-story.jpg

Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

Only in the NFL!
More twists and turns in the story of the 2014 NFL season. Start in the NFC, where Green Bay’s surprise loss to Buffalo opened the door for Seattle in the home-field race. Plus, the Cowboys deliver a big December win, Johnny Manziel’s disastrous debut, updated MVP Watch, weekly awards and much more
By Peter King

The Season That Went Too Fast
A Pro Football Book in Twenty-One Chapters

These are only excerpts that mention the St. Louis Rams(Minus the annoying 'moving to LA' comments). A sad collection. To read the whole article click the link above the pic.

The Seattle Effect. “It’ll be interesting to see how Philadelphia comes out of the Seattle game physically,’’ said one Dallas Cowboy last week, before his team’s trip to Philadelphia for the Sunday night game. This player remembered how physically spent the Cowboys were after playing Settle earlier in the year, and said it could be a big factor in how the team recovered to play the next week. Well, maybe he is on to something. The Eagles are the eighth team in a row to lose the week after playing Seattle; Philadelphia, San Francisco, Arizona, Kansas City, the New York Giants, Oakland, Carolina and St. Louis all lost the week after playing the Seahawks. The Seattle Effect bodes well for San Diego’s playoff chances. Not only do the Chargers play San Francisco, which lost to Seattle on Sunday, but the game is on Saturday, so the Niners have one fewer day to recover from playing the Seahawks.

Why players want to play for Bruce Arians. The Arizona coach said this to Ryan Lindley, the backup to the backup, when No. 2 quarterback Drew Stanton went down with a knee injury Thursday night at St. Louis: “I trust you. Don’t be a game manager. Be a game winner.” Lindley didn’t play particularly well—he completed four of 10 passes in the 12-6 Arizona win—but a win’s a win, especially on the road against a team with two straight shutouts coming in, and especially when the team has been so beat up with so many key players lost. With Stanton likely out for this week and two or three more with strained knee ligaments, the Cardinals seem likely to go with Lindley, and maybe with a package of plays for the rookie quarterback who is more mobile, Logan Thomas. “We’ll figure something out,’’ said Arians. “We’ll just keep on swinging, scratching out points.” Worked pretty well so far.

Special Teams Players of the Week

Chandler Catanzaro, kicker, Arizona. Cards GM Steve Keim had to take a leap of faith before the season, picking the rookie (Catanzaro) from Clemson over the trusted veteran (Jay Feely). With one night as a referendum, Catanzaro redeemed Keim’s faith in him. Catanzaro accounted for all of Arizona’s points, on field goals of 23, 44, 51 and 46. His kickoffs traveled three yards deep, three yards deep, out of the end zone, seven yards deep and three yards deep. One very big reason for the Arizona win: St. Louis started one of its 13 drives all night past its own 33-yard line.

Coaches of the Week

Bruce Arians, head coach, Arizona. Not to make these awards a clean Cardinal sweep, but to have the Arizona Cardinals tied for the best record in the NFL after 15 weeks, with Drew Stanton and Ryan Lindley playing quarterback, and hanging in to beat a St. Louis team that had won the previous two games by shutout … well, you can see why Arians is so revered inside the Cardinals’ building and outside the building by a growing legion of fans.

I think this is what I didn’t like about Week 15:

St. Louis guard Davin Joseph not holding the line early on Thursday night, letting Frostee Rucker bust through the Rams line to nail Tre Mason five yards behind the line.

I think there should be a special place in the game for players like Mike Leach, the Arizona long-snapper. Playing Thursday night in his 217th career game as a snapper (he’s snapped in more games than any active player), and in a game defined by field position, Leach made the kind of play you rarely see a man in his position make, never mind a 38-year-old snapper. With the Cards nursing a 9-3 lead late in the third quarter, they punted from the Rams’ 39-yard line. Leach sprinted down on the punt and downed it at the six-yard line. This became significant because Arizona held St. Louis without a first down on the ensuing drive, and the resulting short field for the Cards led to a field goal that gave them a two-score lead (12-3) in this classic points-at-a-premium game. When Bruce Arians stands up and talks to his team about the high points in the win at St. Louis, I certainly hope he mentions the desire of Leach.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
St. Louis guard Davin Joseph not holding the line early on Thursday night, letting Frostee Rucker bust through the Rams line to nail Tre Mason five yards behind the line.
One more notch in Joseph's coffin!?!

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
One more notch in Joseph's coffin!?!

Wells and Joseph both got their worst PFF grades of the year against Arizona.

Wells is now ranked as the 39th C out of 40.
Joseph is now ranked as the 74th G out of 80.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

you don't need any pff grades to realise how bad both of them have been this season. the eye test tells you they are probably the worst players in their respective positions, hard to imagine anyone can play any worse than these two.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

you don't need any pff grades to realise how bad both of them have been this season. the eye test tells you they are probably the worst players in their respective positions, hard to imagine anyone can play any worse than these two..

And yet our QB's are still taking most of the blame while some are talking about selecting a QB high in the draft. Robinson, Saffold, and Barksdale aren't playing that well either btw. Fix the damn O-line and the QB's will play better. Not saying that Hill or Davis are without blame but still......

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
In all seriousness... if Sam comes back and plays just as well as he was playing in last preseason... meaning no improvement (which I kinda doubt because you know he's learned that much more) with an improved OL and with THIS group of weapons...Quick back (let's not forget what a damned BEAST he was becoming), Britt, Bailey, Cook, Austin...the list goes on, not to mention our running game.

I'm more convinced than ever that our PRIMARY need is OL. OL. OL.

Which is why more than ever, I'd love to see Jones get the start. Let's see what he has. Let's get next year's guys in there and see if they make a difference because "somebody gonna git a hurt real bad" if Wells and Joseph are even penciled in as the starters in next year's camp...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In all seriousness... if Sam comes back and plays just as well as he was playing in last preseason... meaning no improvement (which I kinda doubt because you know he's learned that much more) with an improved OL and with THIS group of weapons...Quick back (let's not forget what a damned BEAST he was becoming), Britt, Bailey, Cook, Austin...the list goes on, not to mention our running game.

I'm more convinced than ever that our PRIMARY need is OL. OL. OL.

Which is why more than ever, I'd love to see Jones get the start. Let's see what he has. Let's get next year's guys in there and see if they make a difference because "somebody gonna git a hurt real bad" if Wells and Joseph are even penciled in as the starters in next year's camp...
I'm the biggest Bradford honk on this board (am too), because I've written 100 dissertations and made countless videos illustrating what he's capable of, and even *I* don't think he's a viable option anymore. I think the Rams need to go into this next season under the presumption that he's not going to be able to play and pool all of their resources into finding a QB. That way, if he does play, then it's all gravy. But I think we need to address the QB position as if we didn't have a QB right now, so it's priority one for me.

Then, after they do that, they can draft 5 OL and sign 2.

I am X, and I approve this message.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Oh, don't get me wrong, X. I think we need to go QB also.

But I think if we had competent C and ROG play (say, Saffold there instead of Joseph), then I think we beat the Cards with Shaun Hill.

I think we'll be drafting around 15 or so. Give or take. At that point, I think there's a great opportunity to trade down for an OL and maybe pick up another OL and a QB in the 2nd unless one of the QBs slip.

Now, I have NO IDEA who the FO will like. I don't like ANY of the FA QBs. None of them. I won't name them all, but I just don't.

I think Sam's our best shot at getting to the next level. So if Sam can't go, I'm not sure where we turn. God help us, no Mark Sanchez. I know he's playing better, but no.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
you don't need any pff grades to realise how bad both of them have been this season. the eye test tells you they are probably the worst players in their respective positions, hard to imagine anyone can play any worse than these two.

Agreed. Which makes it even more concerning that B. Jones can't get onto the field. I understand the "patience" point of view and that it takes time to adjust to the NFL level and even that he's battled injury, but it's not like he has future HOF'ers to beat out.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Agreed. Which makes it even more concerning that B. Jones can't get onto the field. I understand the "patience" point of view and that it takes time to adjust to the NFL level and even that he's battled injury, but it's not like he has future HOF'ers to beat out.
Absolutely.
Jones doesn't have to be the best. He just has to be better than the 39th ranked center.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I think fans need to put down the Bradford crack pipe. I just don't think he's gonna survive in this division, even if they do settle the OL.

When Snead says that they can't make an emotional decision I think that is prepping all of us for the elephant in the room. Fragility + high cap number + playing in the NFC West with these defenses = new direction.

Yes I can see them bringing him back IF he helps the team out with a cap friendly deal. Even then he's just part of the overall need to restack the team's depth chart with higher quality talent and he will compete for the job. So personally I think when all's said and done the Rams will try hard to shake loose a good trade addition (like Eli). If and when they pull something off that they are comfortable with Sam will be cut loose or traded I think.

In the draft QB is gonna happen regardless. Just depends on whether they go early (which means they can't find one they like in trade or FA) or midrounds.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If Jones can't beat out Wells, doesn't that make you a lil nervous?

You presume it's a contest every week. They have to KNOW how Wells is doing. But Fisher doesn't like change.

Back in the day, I forget which year, but one year he started no rookies. none. He was known for making rookies sit and has a penchant for preferring vets.

Now, here, he hasn't had that freedom. But I think there are a few vets he's "settled" on. Wells is clearly one of them. I mean, why else do we not try to improve at critical positions like the interior line? We've had multiple injuries to our QB and yet we're still sticking with arguably the worst C in football?

You'd have to go pretty far to tell me that Jones could be worse than Wells. All Jones has to be is NOT the worst in the NFL and I'm certain he can be that.

So, in that respect, I wouldn't be nervous at all. I'm just nervous as to why Wells is still playing and putting out QBs at risk...