Peter King: MMQB - 11/3/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/03/nfl-week-9-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/

mmqb-4.jpg

Getty Images (2) || AP (2)

Where to Begin?
Week 9 had no shortage of big-time storylines. Let’s examine each of them, from Big Ben's second straight six-spot, to the Patriots’ punishment of Peyton, to the Cards’ continued dominance in the NFC
By Peter King

Rams/49ers game mentions:

“I was stunned … that they didn’t use Frank Gore.” Gut Punch Loss of the Day: San Francisco can’t get the ball into the end zone for the win on three tries from inside the two-yard line in the final minutes, and Colin Kaepernick fumbles on a quarterback sneak on the third play. Rams middle linebacker James Laurinaitis recovers. St. Louis 13, San Francisco 10. Laurinaitis said he was “stunned” that Gore, the Niners’ power-running back, never got a touch in the final minute. “He’s one of the best backs in football at falling forward,” Laurinaitis told me from California. The Niners (4-4), three games and a lost tiebreaker behind Arizona in the NFC West this morning, now realistically have to play for a NFC Wild Card.
----------
kaepernick-rams-800.jpg

The Niners gave one away with a botched final series. (Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP)

The 49ers had no business losing that game.
There have been agonizing losses in the NFL this year, as always. Miami losing on the fake spike to Green Bay in Week 6. Atlanta blowing the 21-point second-half lead and losing to Detroit in London. And then there’s the Niners on Sunday. They had the ball, first-and-goal at the Rams two-yard line, with 42 seconds and one timeout left. San Francisco trailed 13-10. The Niners had three shots for the win, and a chippy field goal to force overtime if they couldn’t punch it in. Or four shots, if Jim Harbaugh was feeling lucky.

First down: Short pass to the right to Michael Crabtree, close to the goal line. Marked down at the one.

Second down: Play-action rollout to the right. Colin Kaepernick, pressured by James Laurinaitis, threw it away.

Third down: Heavy formation. Kaepernick under center. He took the snap, fumbled it in his hands, grabbed for it and started moving forward. Fullback Bruce Miller bear-hugged him and pushed the quarterback forward. But the replays showed Kaepernick, in mid-scrum, losing the handle totally and the ball falling to the turf, just over the goal line.

“I was shocked to see it there, of course,’’ said Laurinaitis. “The whole play was surprising. The play before, they go play-action and don’t give it to Gore. Then on the last play, they don’t give to Gore either. But I could sense when they got on the ball they were probably going to sneak it. You could just tell in their mannerisms, their body language, the formation. I figured if Kaepernick is going to sneak, he’d just put the ball over the line, like Tom Brady or Drew Brees. But I think what happened is he never really had good possession of it. He didn’t catch it clean from the center. So he just barreled forward.

“As soon as I saw the ball on the ground, I just grabbed and tried to spin around right away to show the umpire. Like, ‘Ball’s loose! I got it! I got it! Our ball! Our ball!’ They looked at me and ruled it was our ball, which obviously was the right call. That ball was on the ground.’’

On replay, it was impossible to tell when Kaepernick last had any sort of possession. But once it was ruled a fumble on the field, it is impossible to overturn because there were no views of the play that showed Kaepernick with possession past the plane of the goal line. And that muffed snap is the kind of painful play that could come back to haunt a team that now will have almost zero margin for error if it wants to be playing in January.

One final point about the Rams here: They had eight sacks after having but five in the first seven games… in part because of changeups defensive coordinator Gregg Williams threw at San Francisco. “We spied them,” said Laurinaitis, “and we had a couple of sacks from blitzes. We blitzed from the left a lot [opposite Robert Quinn’s side]. And we won the one-on-one matchups a lot. There’s no magic potion sometimes—you just have to win the battle with the guys across from you.”
----------
Coach of the Week

Mike Waufle, defensive line coach, St. Louis. Rams sacks in the first seven games: five. Rams sacks Sunday: eight. Sacks by the defensive line Sunday: six, plus one team sack. Waufle and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams shifted some of the pressure away from Robert Quinn on the right side and got great penetration from Aaron Donald—who is getting Sapp-like disruption in the middle of the line—and end Williams Hayes. Waufle, 60, is a coaching lifer who kept telling his line the sacks would come—just keep rushing hard. On Sunday, the advice paid off in a great rush day and a 13-10 win.
----------
Goat of the Week

Colin Kaepernick, quarterback, San Francisco. You cannot fumble the game-deciding quarterback sneak. You simply cannot.
----------
“Communications. Is that a surprise?”

—San Francisco’s oft-answer-challenged coach, Jim Harbaugh, on what his college major was at Michigan.
---------
I think this is what I liked about Week 9:

Austin Davis continues to show he belongs, and not just as roster filler. As does Kenny Britt, who caught a second-quarter touchdown from Davis at the Niners.
----------
I think this is what I didn’t like about Week 9:

Terrible non-safety call by the Jerome Boger crew in the Niners game, just before the half, when Tavon Austin clearly was trying to bring the ball out of the end zone on a missed field goal, and he was tackled two yards deep, and the officials gave him progress just beyond the goal line. Fiction.

Cannot believe Colin Kaepernick fumbled the quarterback sneak. That’s the difference between being in the pennant race in the West and being out of it.
----------
To read the entire article click the link -

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/03/nfl-week-9-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
He liked Austin Davis in week 9? What game was he watching? And I thought the Rams had 6 sacks coming into Sunday, not 5? No mention of the blown calls / whistles that prevented Rams TD's either. King gets on my nerves.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry Peter, but the non-Safety was the right call. If you take the ball out of the end-zone, and get hit and driven back into the end-zone, you get forward progress. How can he not know that. I will give you it was close, but to flat out call it fiction is poor reporting. Should be no surprise.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
He probably didn't even watch the game. Most talking heads go with stats. Even then his stats were horrible. That's why I don't pay attention to so called experts

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/03/nfl-week-9-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/3/

The elephant in the room for the 49ers is just how bad the Trent Baalke Era has been: bust after bust (his entire 2012 draft is a wash already) and rank mediocrity the norm far more often than not. A few hits, true, but many more misses. And high picks, such as Tank Carradine, who can't even suit up when healthy--after taking an entire year to "redshirt"!?

Yet Jed York is going to pick this clown over Harbaugh? Good luck with that theory. If you think that your father had a rough ride, Jed, try losing ugly with incredibly expensive tickets. Pick Trent Baalke as your mastermind and you're headed for disaster.

Meanwhile, has anyone noticed that Colin Kaepernick just isn't that good? Great athlete, no question. But as a QB, he makes a fine option halfback. Reading defenses, understanding progressions, calm under pressure...not so much.

The final answer appears to be that neither Alex Smith nor Colin Kaepernick is championship level. Titles went begging the moment Mike Nolan passed over Aaron Rodgers, and that's a very long time ago now. Aaron Rodgers and Frank Gore? Well, that's a Bill Walsh draft. And we do know the difference, Jed & Trent, between genius and rank wannabes.

My guess is that Jim Harbaugh can't wait to get out of town. And who could blame him?
----------
Of course you're right. And yet Baalke is far too often treated as a conquering hero by the chuckleheads who pass for sports "journalists" in the Bay Area.

He's made so many mistakes with so many picks, and in contrast to Walsh even the hits (Aldon Smith over JJ Watt) are badly flawed.

Chris Culliver (speaking of chuckleheads), AJ Jenkins, LaMichael James, Vance MacDonald, Corey Lemonier, Tank Carradine...the mistakes in Rounds 1-3 are appalling. And by now Harbaugh must realize the lack of depth is a huge problem heading into an uncertain future.

The fools here want Greg Roman's head, but if your o-line can't block anybody what do you do--pass? Run wide? It would be unfair to blame Marcus Martin, another 3rd Round pick, because the kid has been hurt and is only 20. Yet he looked completely overmatched for the entire game yesterday against a bad (2-5!) defense. And the only other option was another mediocre pick, Joe Looney.

To think that Baalke & York actually believed this was a Super Bowl roster?
----------
Fans that actually understand the play calling element of the game want Roman's head because the team has been calling horrible plays for several years now, and in my humble opinion would have at least one Superbowl title if not for Roman.

The offensive lines' struggles are strongly correlated to the plays being called, specifically, failing to establish a run game, which then opens up the play-action, which then keeps a defense honest and doesn't allow them to blitz every down, overwhelming the line.

This was a one score game the entire game, which highlights the insanity of running 33 pass plays against only 16 runs (to RBs), especially when your QB is being sacked and pressured as often as Kaep was. Add to that two pass attempts from 1st and Goal from the 3 or closer before finally trying a run, albeit one I still wouldn't have called, with the game on the line, and the evidence is overwhelming.

For some reason, Roman seems to want to help Kaep become the 300 yard, 3 TD passer the rest of the league is in love with, and by doing so, he has made the team one-dimensional and inconsistent, which is why they sit at a .500 record when they should be a one or two loss team right now.
------------
Not a lot of comfort there. And the point is that Jed York clearly wants this stiff over Harbaugh, even though the 49ers hadn't won a thing in well over a decade until Jim Harbaugh showed up.

The York family has been a running disaster for this team, and for the city of San Francisco; since Eddie D was forced out through his own greed and foolishness, the Yorks have made so many mistakes--and one good move.

But Harbaugh appears to be the loser in this latest power play, and the Golden Era of Trent Baalke is upon us.

Time for basketball season. Anywhere but here, etc.

The ghost of Bill Walsh will be spinning in his grave at the rank stupidity of it all. Though for the Yorks, it's always been about money, and Harbaugh has given them a huge ATM machine with that new stadium, a cash cow they never would have managed without him.

Still, I wonder how many fans will want to pay those prices for an 8-8, much less a 4-12 team? Once Gore, Boldin, Justin Smith, Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis leave (and all are near or over 30), that's where Trent & his boys are headed.
----------
Any day both Harbaugh's lose is a good day to me.
----------
Yes, Peter, the officiating in the Niner/Ram game was lousy, but it cost both sides. The Rams returned a Frank Gore fumble for six, but the play was prematurely blown dead and the Niners retained possession. That score would have negated all the controversy at the end.
-----------
Hi, Peter King here. This years Patriots are, by far, the best football team to ever grace the field. They will win the SB this year, Brady will win league and SB MVP, Belichick will win coach of the year and Bob Kraft will win the Nobel peace prize

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He probably didn't even watch the game. Most talking heads go with stats. Even then his stats were horrible. That's why I don't pay attention to so called experts

exactly. he probably only saw the highlights while scoffing down a dozen doughnuts. there's always a big hole in anything he reports.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Sorry Peter, but the non-Safety was the right call. If you take the ball out of the end-zone, and get hit and driven back into the end-zone, you get forward progress. How can he not know that. I will give you it was close, but to flat out call it fiction is poor reporting. Should be no surprise.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... he even flat out said Austin took it out of the end zone.

Does he not know what "forward progress" is?