Peter King: MMQB - 10/6/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/06/nfl-week-5-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/

Old Men and the (Previously) Unbeatens
It was vintage Tom Brady and Peyton Manning on Sunday, as each hit historic career milestones in victories over the league's last unbeatens. Plus, the Niners turn to their own aging star, the block that has Bruce Arians furious, the Fine Fifteen in flux, weekly awards and more
By Peter King

Rams Mentions -

The Rams gave the quarterback job “for the remainder of the season” to Austin Davis.

I suppose it’s not a “wow” that Shaun Hill had the job taken from him after about 15 minutes, but Davis has played better than anyone in St. Louis thought he would (completion percentages in his three games: 70, 76, 71), and during the Rams’ bye week Jeff Fisher, who hates quarterback controversies and thinks they distract a team, decided to not make this a temporary thing. “We’re going to go ahead and start Austin for the remainder of the season. It’s not that Shaun lost the job, it’s that Austin earned an opportunity to keep it … Yes, I did say that Shaun was our quarterback. My job is to make the right decisions. Austin deserves it, and I’m not going to have a short hook.”

To me this says Fisher and the Rams were tepid believers in Hill in the first place, and chose the other quarterback from Southern Mississippi (there has not been a long line of them since Brett Favre) as their guy for the rest of the year. Or until he stinks for two or three weeks. Fisher’s right: He won’t have a quick hook with Davis, but by giving the job to Hill then snatching it back when Hill was healthy, Fisher showed he will be ruled by how Davis plays.

I think this is what I didn’t like about Week 5:

The Rams not covering Jeremy Maclin, running free for the end zone and catching a touchdown pass with no defender in the same area code. Mind-numbing.
-----------------------------------------------------------
To read the entire article click the link at the top of the page.......

Alan

Legend
McLeod was involved with that and last weeks non-coverage TD too. We really need him to get his act together soon. If he has one to get together. The good news is that it's a mental problem not a physical one.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Free safety is still an Achilles heel of this team. They need to invest in that position this off season.

V3

Hall of Fame
Free safety is still an Achilles heel of this team. They need to invest in that position this off season.
I'd prefer they just move Joyner back there and then invest in a better slot CB. Two birds, one stone.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah FS continues to drive me batty. I'm so tired of blown coverages deep, can't have that.

But I'm not buying GW's comments that the defense hasn't changed. The scheme might not be different, but the calls within the scheme, the way GW wants the defense responding to certain situations, is. These guys are probably adjusting a bit, and GW has talked McLeod up as well. So I'm still hoping we see a big reduction in blown coverages, maybe one like that every few games vice every effin game.

Joyner is definitely the only option after McLeod for FS. TJM and Alexander are both SS types, best suited for playing near the LOS. But I honestly expect Joyner to have just as many gaffs as we've seen from McLeod to date, so might as well hope that GW will get him locked in to where that stuff doesn't happen. Kinda like an investment, I suppose, where you have the mistakes that have hurt us but we pray he's learning from them.

All that stuff aside, this defense is showing some improvement. Giving up 20 to the Eagles is not a shutdown defense, but it's also not bad. So I maintain that we have yet to see what this group is really capable of.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I'd prefer they just move Joyner back there and then invest in a better slot CB. Two birds, one stone.
Joyner would definitely be freed up to move back there when Tru comes back.

Irish

Starter
Does Joyney have the ability to play FS in the NFL? I feel like his repertoire is perfect for nickle corner on the slot receiver. he just needs practice