Peter King: MMQB - 10/20/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/20/nfl-week-7-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/

pey-story.jpg

Jack Dempsey/AP
Monday Morning Quarterback
Mon Oct. 20, 2014

At 38, Peyton Manning’s Prime is Right Now
Hyperbole after the Broncos QB broke the NFL career touchdown mark? Nope. Presenting the numbers that show Manning is better in Denver than he was in Indy. Plus a look at the legit Lions, the sliding Seahawks and the rest of Week 7
By Peter King

Rams mentions:

Coach of the Week

John Fassel, special teams coordinator, St. Louis. He orchestrated one of the crazy plays in the NFL this year, totally confusing Seattle’s punt-coverage team in the process. Midway through the second quarter in St. Louis, Fassel, who obviously saw in scouting the Seahawks that punter Jon Ryan mostly kicked to his left when trying to pin the opponent deep in its territory, had return man Tavon Austin line up to the punting team’s right (Austin’s left), and when the ball was punted, Austin faded further to his left, and his protection also went left … even though Ryan punted the ball where Fassel thought he would, toward the coffin corner, on the opposite side of the field from Austin.

Meanwhile, seven Seahawks charged toward Austin. The punt flew away from the crowd, but Stedman Bailey did just what Fassel had ordered—run down the field where the punt was going, not where the crowd was flowing. Bailey caught the ball over his shoulder around the Ram 10, pivoted around, and ran untroubled 90 yards for a touchdown. That made it 21-3 Rams, and it turned out to be the insurance score St. Louis would need. “We knew that we had a 90 percent chance that the punt would go to the left,” coach Jeff Fisher said after the game.
-----------------
Rams defensive sacks in the first 151 opponents’ pass dropbacks this season: 1.

Rams defensive sacks in the next five opponents’ dropbacks, by Russell Wilson on Sunday: 3.
--------------
I think this is what I liked about Week 7:

First series of the game at St. Louis, in the first game of cornerback Tharold Simon’s career: He stops lightning bug Tavon Austin for a four-yard gain on third-and-seven, forcing a Rams punt.

Tre Mason. Not a lot to like about how the Rams are playing as we approach midseason, but the rookie has a burst and some power to him, as shown against Seattle.

I think this is what I didn’t like about Week 7:

Russell Wilson, taking an unwise chance throwing into traffic to stop Seattle’s second drive of the day at St. Louis. He’s lucky Rodney McLeod didn’t intercept it.

I praised Tharold Simon above, but two big penalties against him really hurt Seattle.

The Seahawks putting backup tight end Cooper Helfet on Rams defensive end Robert Quinn, one on one, late in the first half, on a passing down. Sack. Tough to predict that one.
----------------------------------------------
To read the entire article click the link:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/20/nfl-week-7-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The reason I think that Manning is better in Denver. Better GM and better Head coach. GM puts better players around him especially offensive line and he is quick to react to things that need fixed. They really upgraded the defense this offseason. Fox is just a very good head coach. If given the choice between Dungy and Fox I would take Fox. Against the 49ers, Denver really looked like the best team in football. They have to be Superbowl favorites at this point........until the Rams defeat them that is.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
During the ESPN segment of our game last night, I noticed that the punt return by our Rams was nominated for play of the year at the ESPY's.

fearsomefour

Legend
The reason I think that Manning is better in Denver. Better GM and better Head coach. GM puts better players around him especially offensive line and he is quick to react to things that need fixed. They really upgraded the defense this offseason. Fox is just a very good head coach. If given the choice between Dungy and Fox I would take Fox. Against the 49ers, Denver really looked like the best team in football. They have to be Superbowl favorites at this point........until the Rams defeat them that is.
Allowing Manning to do his thing....run his no huddle offense at elevation puts so much pressure on the other teams D it is almost an automatic win at home. I am sort of surprised they hadnt done it before Manning.
One of the funniest comments I have heard this year was a Bronco fan complaining about the home field advantage the Seahawks have in Seattle....this coming from a fan of a team that enjoys the biggest and most consistent home field advantage in football. Fans are just silly.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
During the ESPN segment of our game last night, I noticed that the punt return by our Rams was nominated for play of the year at the ESPY's.
At this point, this Play should Win it 'Hands Down!':D (y) (y)