Peter King: Jeff Fisher - Coach of the Week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Coach of the Week

Jeff Fisher, St. Louis. In the span of five days, division rivals Seattle and Arizona went to St. Louis with a combined record of 6-1. Fisher's preparation since camp has been a lot about the division, and here were the first two division games for them. After allowing a first-quarter touchdown run to Seattle, the Rams held the two teams to zero touchdowns and three field goals over the last seven quarters, with 11 sacks, and St. Louis won both to go to 3-2.

The culture that Fisher brought to the defense was simple: hit hard and cover like a glove, and Cortland Finnegan and Janoris Jenkins have transformed the secondary into one of the league's stingiest. Fisher has emphasized special teams, as he always did in Tennessee, while hoping the offense can eventually catch up and be competent. If you'd told me in camp this Rams team would be 3-2, I'd have been stunned. But Fisher has done a great job of getting a green team game-ready quickly.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... k-5/2.html

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
Coach of the Week

Jeff Fisher, St. Louis. In the span of five days, division rivals Seattle and Arizona went to St. Louis with a combined record of 6-1. Fisher's preparation since camp has been a lot about the division, and here were the first two division games for them. After allowing a first-quarter touchdown run to Seattle, the Rams held the two teams to zero touchdowns and three field goals over the last seven quarters, with 11 sacks, and St. Louis won both to go to 3-2.
Just awesome D!!!

X said:
The culture that Fisher brought to the defense was simple: hit hard and cover like a glove, and Cortland Finnegan and Janoris Jenkins have transformed the secondary into one of the league's stingiest. Fisher has emphasized special teams, as he always did in Tennessee, while hoping the offense can eventually catch up and be competent. If you'd told me in camp this Rams team would be 3-2, I'd have been stunned. But Fisher has done a great job of getting a green team game-ready quickly.
Back to the 1970's Rams.... I love this stuff.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
interference said:
X said:
Coach of the Week

Just awesome D!!!

X said:
But do ya love it more than the GSOT?
I'm torn,I love great defense and hell a sacks as much fun as a TD pass,but man we spanked some people back then.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thordaddy said:
I'm torn,I love great defense and hell a sacks as much fun as a TD pass,but man we spanked some people back then.
I think we did a poll about that a year or so ago.
Both are pretty fun to watch, but I think I'd lean towards a dominant defense over a high-flying offense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
Thordaddy said:
I think we did a poll about that a year or so ago.
Both are pretty fun to watch, but I think I'd lean towards a dominant defense over a high-flying offense.

Same. I loved the GSOT. I loved watching Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Holt, and Pace work magic on the field. But I loved watching highlights of the Fearsome Foursome as well. It's like that in every sport. I appreciate great hard-nosed defense in every sport. There are reasons why Jon Jay is my current favorite Cardinal, why I loved watching Chris Pronger, Al MacInnis, and Alex Pietrangelo more than Brett Hull, why I prefer college basketball over the NBA.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
interference said:

Not to argue because that was a long time ago and a lot of... well - you know... later. I think this D-line has a ways to go but the DBs now are IMO better. The LBs? Maybe on par.

But love the defensive mindset - no doubt.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thordaddy said:
But do ya love it more than the GSOT?

I don't even have to think about it. YES. I loved the GSOT but lived on the tough Rams teams as I was growing up.