Peter King: Gregg Williams expected to join Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Posted by Josh Alper
Pro Football Talk
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/peter-king-gregg-williams-expected-to-join-fisher/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... in-fisher/</a>

Gregg Williams will be coordinating the Saints defense on Saturday and through the rest of the postseason, but that could be it for his run in New Orleans.

Peter King of NBC and Sports Illustrated reports that Williams is “expected” to join Jeff Fisher in St. Louis next season. Williams ran the defense under Fisher with the Titans from 1997 to 2000 before leaving to become head coach of the Bills. He was a defensive assistant under Fisher and Jack Pardee with the franchise before moving up to defensive coordinator.

Williams, via James Varney of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, said earlier this week that he won’t talk to Fisher, who he called his best friend in coaching, until after the Saints’ season is over. The self-proclaimed “Dr. Heat” didn’t offer anything concrete about his plans beyond the postseason, however he did pass on a chance to reunite with Fisher when he took the New Orleans job in 2009.

If Williams does head to St. Louis, it will be interesting to see if Eagles defensive line coach Jim Washburn joins up with his old mates from Tennessee. With changes looming on the Eagles defense, the whole band could get back together with the Rams.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Doesn't seem to make sense. Think he'd leave a playoff caliber team for a lateral move as a coach on a team that won 2 games? I suppose if he does, if maybe tells us that he thinks the Rams are closer than their record would indicate.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Any murmurs on any possible OC's?
Unfortunately, it's not going to be Mike Heimerdinger (deceased). And Norm Chow just signed with Hawaii for 5 years, so he's not going anywhere. Hell, I wouldn't either. Coaching in Hawaii? Sign me up.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
RamFan503 said:
Doesn't seem to make sense. Think he'd leave a playoff caliber team for a lateral move as a coach on a team that won 2 games? I suppose if he does, if maybe tells us that he thinks the Rams are closer than their record would indicate.
Money makes sense to me ;)

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
Unfortunately, it's not going to be Mike Heimerdinger (deceased). And Norm Chow just signed with Hawaii for 5 years, so he's not going anywhere. Hell, I wouldn't either. Coaching in Hawaii? Sign me up.

Coming from a guy that lives in the sunshine state, this means a lot more than from most of us :bummed:
I'd give my left nut to have the same career in that state, let alone Hawaii.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

X - I found some assistant coaches for your staff! :whoa:

183317-hawaiian-tropic-swimsuit-models.jpg

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
BuiltRamTough said:
RamFan503 said:
But by all accounts, Williams hasn't talked to anyone on the Rams, which leaves out money as a motivator. Just sounds like old friends wanting to coach together again.

Or, for Williams, the chance to build another defense. Like most NFL coaches, Williams isn't short on confidence.

The lip service to injuries by the PD is normal for the media; not so for the intelligent people in the NFL. They know why the Rams defense was marginalized. Williams expects to capitalize on what Spags built.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
MontanaRamFan said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

They can't be from Montana? Big sky country... wait a minute... maybe they are...I need to check the area out. Nice

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ram Quixote said:
BuiltRamTough said:
RamFan503 said:
But by all accounts, Williams hasn't talked to anyone on the Rams, which leaves out money as a motivator. Just sounds like old friends wanting to coach together again.

Or, for Williams, the chance to build another defense. Like most NFL coaches, Williams isn't short on confidence.

The lip service to injuries by the PD is normal for the media; not so for the intelligent people in the NFL. They know why the Rams defense was marginalized. Williams expects to capitalize on what Spags built.
Yeah, he really would have some nice pieces to work with. Two hard hitting safeties, Laurinaitis, Quinn, Bartell, Long, poss. Fletcher. You can build around those guys.

superfan24

Starter
smram said:
MontanaRamFan said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

They can't be from Montana? Big sky country... wait a minute... maybe they are...I need to check the area out. Nice

Talk about an all-star staff....

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
But wouldn't we want a DC that has come from a team with a good D?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ramhusker said:
But wouldn't we want a DC that has come from a team with a good D?

Well id be optimistic with Williams. The one thing we know about his style in New Orleans is BLITZING. He gambles a lot with that, but I wouldnt be shocked at all if he completely changed his style here. The Saints did not have a stud DE, so he did not feel confident in just rushing 4. We have Long and Quinn :cheese: .