Peter King: Bills Training Camp Report - Watkins Wows

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
sammy-watkins-960.jpg

Bill Wippert/AP

Bills Training Camp: Watkins Wows, But in the End It’s Up to E.J.
Sammy Watkins is shining, Marcell Dareus is missing, and the Bills will go as far as E.J. Manuel takes them. My thoughts after a visit to Bills Camp
By Peter King

I’m in Pittsford, N.Y., summer home of the Buffalo Bills, on the campus of St. John Fisher College, 78 miles east of Orchard Park. I watched the first practice of camp, on Sunday night, and then an afternoon session on Monday. The Bills are in this Rochester suburb for many reasons, but one of the biggest is trying to get more fans in the Rochester area to come out to Orchard Park. The Bills sell about 18 percent of their tickets to fans in this area.

One vivid memory from watching this team practice

The influence of Pepper Johnson, the new defensive line coach. (Johnson, by the way, turns 50 next week, which should make all of us feel old.) Some guys just have the ability to command respect, and Johnson, after 14 years as a Bill Belichick consigliere in New England, has struck out on his own and ended up with a heck of a talented group: Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes at end, Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams at tackle, among others.

Anyway, on Sunday night, his line group left one area of the field to work on hand-to-hand drills, one lineman versus the other, and when the group got to the corner of the field for the drill, there was a blocking sled there. “That damn thing’s in the way,’’ Johnson said, annoyed. Without anything else being said, Kyle Williams went over to the sled and pushed it 20 yards down the field. Boss man said something’s in the way, so move it.

pepper-johnson.jpg

Pepper Johnson (right) will have plenty of talent to work with, including Kyle Williams (far left) and Mario Williams (center). (Peter King/The MMQB)

How this team can be 12–4

Two big things have to happen. Very big. E.J. Manuel has to be more of a chance-taker with two good outside receivers, Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods. Pro Football Focus had a great stat about Manuel—he led all quarterbacks in the NFL last year in percentage of total passes attempted to running backs. That means he’s probably checking down too much. I saw that Sunday night. Particularly with Watkins, who is showing signs of being excellent at beating the jam at the line, Manuel is going to have to have faith in his ability to find receivers down the field in competitive coverage.

Second thing: Marcell Dareus, on the non-football injury list early in camp for failing the conditioning test, has to grow up. It’s simple. He does too many knucklehead things to be a great and reliable player, and he still could find himself suspended by the league for the first couple of games this year for his off-field transgressions. When he’s right, he’s a top-five interior lineman in the league. And because this team could struggle at linebacker, the Bills need an earth-mover to make space for the ’backers to make plays.

How this team can be 4–12

Three big defensive pieces—safety Jairus Byrd (lost in free-agency), linebacker Kiko Alonso (ACL tear) and Dareus—were missing at the start of camp. Da’Norris Searcy, Nigel Bradham and Alan Branch are the replacement pieces, as of today. Stars, replaced with unprovens, or, in the case of Branch, a rotational tackle. If these players struggle, and Manuel is mediocre, the Bills will fall.

Now, from fantasyland …

Keep these things in mind when you’re considering drafting Bills:

1. Bryce Brown is a player the coaches like a lot. If you draft late, follow what the Bills do with the running back position late in camp. Could they move a back if a team comes knocking for one—Brown or Fred Jackson or maybe ex-Niner Anthony Dixon? I think so. This team plans to run it more than any team in the NFL this year, and I could see Brown, if he sticks, backing up C.J. Spiller.

2. Don’t sleep on Robert Woods while you’re all gaga over Sammy Watkins. But I wouldn’t take any Buffalo receiver very high. Just not sure E.J. Manuel’s going to take enough chances downfield.

3. I would steer clear of Scott Chandler at tight end. He’s going to have some of his snaps stolen by Tony Moeaki on passing downs, and I don’t see him being the safety valve for Manuel that he was a year ago.

Expect Kouandjio to win at RT unless he struggles in camp … At TE, Smith’s the blocker, Moeaki’s the receiver and Chandler’s the all-around guy. All will play … Mike Williams (possession, physical type) will play in some packages, while Goodwin’s the flier … The fullback is important in this offense, and the job’s wide open; the best camp player among Summers and Rodriguez will win … On defense, Brown, this year’s third-round pick, will start out behind Spikes but likely will have a shot for playing time outside. Spikes, a great run player, is likely out of the game on most or all third downs … Free safety is totally open, with Searcy getting the first shot … Graham’s the likely dime back outside, with Robey playing more nickel inside.

Best new player in camp

Wide receiver Sammy Watkins. He’s not physically imposing when you’re next to him, but his advantage, from the looks of two practices, is he plays with equal physicality and quickness. Watching him get off the line of scrimmaging against corners trying to test the kid is a treat.

One strong opinion that I may regret by November

Stephon Gilmore will be a Pro Bowler. His competitiveness and athleticism, in a division with few marquee receivers, makes it possible for him to shine consistently.

What I thought when I walked out of camp

I’ve been coming to see the Bills in camp most years since the glory ones. And this is probably the best supporting cast the team has had in a decade. Driving away, I’m thinking: If Manuel and Dareus play to their abilities, the Bills should win 10 for the first time this century.

But those, of course, are very big ifs.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the predicted starting lineup click the link and scroll down.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I wish we could have gotten Robinson and Watkins both. Oh well. Donald is a spectacular consolation prize.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Consolation prize? Donald will have 10x the impact Watkins does, imo.
Possibly, I like the pick and am looking forward to a D-line of death. I'd have taken Watkins over Donald a billion times per billion chances if they were both there at our 2nd pick, though.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Lets see how good his is when the games start and Manuel actually has a pass rush coming at him and a CB is pressing on him.

Alan

Legend
DCH thinking like me:
Possibly, I like the pick and am looking forward to a D-line of death. I'd have taken Watkins over Donald a billion times per billion chances if they were both there at our 2nd pick, though.
I agree completely. Donald was a great choice where we took him but if Watkins had fallen :)LOL:) the whole Ram organization would have run to the podium to draft him. :banana:

jjab360

Legend
I agree completely. Donald was a great choice where we took him but if Watkins had fallen :)LOL:) the whole Ram organization would have run to the podium to draft him. :banana:
It's pretty clear they didn't view WR as a need and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they had Donald higher on their BB. Donald is the more dominant player, imo, Watkins just had more hype.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends on what my team needed. If my team had glaring holes at WR and on their DL, I'd have taken Donald. But the Rams needed Watkins more.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Saw the segment on ESPN at Bills camp today. I can smell football....

Athleticism aside, Sammy is so easy to like as a person. E.J. is sure excited to have him (what qb wouldn't be). Perhaps down the road he finds his way here. We did it with Long and Long, so you never know.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
In a do-over, I would take Watkins at 2 and then take the next offensive lineman at #13. But what's done is done, and the Rams STILL don't have a go to #1 WR.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 with his view:
It's pretty clear they didn't view WR as a need and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they had Donald higher on their BB. Donald is the more dominant player, imo, Watkins just had more hype.
The fact that they didn't draft a WR doesn't tell me that they didn't view it as a need. All it showed me was that a super stud like Watkins didn't fall to them at #13. DL wasn't a need either but they grabbed him because of the value he represented. Just like they would have grabbed Clowney had he fallen to #2 even though they didn't need a DE.

The "hype" on Watkins was deserved IMO, which means that it wasn't "exaggerated or extravagant" claims but instead, a spot on evaluation of his abilities. Like you, I'm hoping that Donald, in his own way, will be as valuable to us as Watkins will be for the Bills. Of course he doesn't have to be that valuable because we didn't use the #4 pick to get him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd go BPA. And for me that would have been Donald.

I prefer best value. And with our needs, that would have been Watkins by a slim margin. But I had Donald rated higher as a player.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked Watkins, but still like Robinson more..Donald is going to be an absolute stud....No looking back...

Debacled

Starter
Love Watkins as a player.

But just saying, ask Stafford over in Detroit how his body is feeling tossing bombs to Megatron and getting smacked around in the process behind a less than stellar line.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I prefer best value. And with our needs, that would have been Watkins by a slim margin. But I had Donald rated higher as a player.

Run first, play-action offense with a strong defense. One could argue that Donald was the best value, too.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Love Watkins as a player.

But just saying, ask Stafford over in Detroit how his body is feeling tossing bombs to Megatron and getting smacked around in the process behind a less than stellar line.

Now if Watkins were Megatron, I'd take Megatron over Donald.