Peter King: 9/3/18 - Why Super Bowl 53 Will Be Rams-Patriots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Very exciting year for Rams. Barring any irreplaceable injuries I see:
- The floor as 11-5/NFC West Division Champ/1 Playoff Win
- The ceiling as 13-3/NFC Conf Champ/No prediction on Super Bowl

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Love, like or despise Peter King, he made an honest educated..........

choice.jpg

rams-fan-in-la.jpg

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Rams didn’t want to play starters in the preseason because he wasn’t interested in them running vanilla garbage he has no intention of using.

He didn’t give the backups anything but vanilla garbage either.

...showed the league nothing!

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Hell Yeah! I've been waiting 17 god forsaken years to book end that dynasty. We started it, lets finish it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PK also predicted the Rams would win the last Super Bowl.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/08/super-bowl-52-lii-predictions-midseason-nfl-playoffs

PETER KING

I am all-in on the Rams, which can be pretty dangerous. The franchise hasn't finished over .500 since 2003. Their coach just began shaving in May. Also in May: Their quarterback looked like a bust. But I see what I see. I see a smart and high-powered offense that can protect the quarterback and is as scary on the ground as it is through the air. I see an imaginative coach with a good grip on his team. I see a voracious front seven with a big star (Aaron Donald) playing better than his rep.

I see a team in the last three weeks that has won three, seven and three time zones away from home, respectively. (Did you know the Rams won their last three straight by double-digits at 1 p.m., 10 a.m and 10 a.m. on their body clocks?) The road thing will come in handy during the playoffs, in my calculation, because the Rams could well have to win in a hostile environment against an excellent team like Philadelphia to win it all. But will that really matter?

This team is 2-8 at the Coliseum since the return of the franchise to Los Angeles, and the Rams are 5-0 away from home this year. As for climbing Mount Belichick, I'm sure some wise guy out there will point out that, on the day that Bill Belichick coordinated the Giants' defense that shut down John Elway in Super Bowl XXI, Sean McVay was 1 year and 1 day old, and how on earth could the great Belichick ever lose to a guy less than half his age?

My counter: The coaches won't be putting on pads that day. The Rams, except at quarterback, will be deeper and better on Super Sunday.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This part just jumped off the page at me from the King piece...

McVay told me in camp he realizes he has to stay progressive to remain ahead of the defenses that have spent an offseason studying his play-calling, his tempo, even his cadences. Early one morning, in his tape den on the campus of UC-Irvine, McVay told me what he’d spent the last few months working on. “The basic thing for us is: What are we doing offensively in order to try and conflict defenses? Whether it’s their matchup responsibilities, or being able to learn our cadence, learn our formations and motion and tempo. We have to use those as weapons to apply pressure to the defense. Our offense is totally different now from this time a year ago. I think it’s all about adjusting and adapting to our players.”

Why would McVay want to make his offense “totally different” from the best offense in the game last fall? “I would say that in terms of some of the core ways of we run the football—some of the personnel groupings that we operate out of might be different. But the way we’ll do it, whether it be formationally, whether it be tempo-driven, at the line, in the huddle … In the span of a year, our players’ ability to process has enabled us to have a little bit more versatility.”

I don’t know about y’all, but reading this made me feel tingly and warm and fuzzy at the same time.

Kinda reinforces some hints we’ve been reading about through camp.
One of the things that makes me a tad nervous is McVay's ability to transcend past last year's "surprise" into a more sustainable offense that no one can figure out. Kinda like Martz's offenses.

This year will tell us if he has that ability to outsmart and out-coach the NFL.

At this stage, I don't know... but I am leaning towards "he can".