Percy Harvin arrested then cleared after DUI Investigation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Re: Percy Harvin arrested then cleared after DUI Investigati

LesBaker with a realistic viewpoint:
I don't think they are being targeted.....they are just out more because they can be. And let's face it they aren't all smart enough to stay under the radar. This time of year there are always more high profile incidents because they aren't on the job or needing to practice so in bed earlier.

Yeah I agree with that Les. Although the cops are human and if they've had mini run-ins with a player who thinks he's entitled they might have a tendency to keep a closer eye on him to cut him down to size. Human nature.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

IF you take the demographics of the NFL and weight them against the demographics of the general population,I'd bet the NFL is better behaved.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Thordaddy said:
IF you take the demographics of the NFL and weight them against the demographics of the general population,I'd bet the NFL is better behaved.
That's a safe bet. Darfur alone would cripple any reasonable comparison.

Oh. You didn't mean the World Population?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

X said:
Thordaddy said:

Yeah Darfur is a curve buster but I meant the US

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:

I'm sure you're right, but it would be a good study. Maybe if they included all of professional sports it would be a more valid comparison? I dunno. I would definitely find it interesting though.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I believe Mike Golic had the numbers just last week.

The NFL players are better behaved than the rest of the US male population according to the numbers he shared.

nighttrain

Legend

X said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:

I'm sure you're right, but it would be a good study. Maybe if they included all of professional sports it would be a more valid comparison? I dunno. I would definitely find it interesting though.
Compare it to Bell Gardens where I grew up, everybody there was a felon, no joke
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Thordaddy misreading:
And then making a completely indefensible pontification sure to prompt a political debate about if a gun isn't the problem but the person[/color][/b] begging for trouble. As is owning a gun. :loco:

Of course it's easily defensible. You have to stop trying to read agendas into what I say. If you don't ride in a car the chances of getting into a car accident are greatly reduced. If you don't have a gun the chances of getting busted for a violation of some gun ordinance is greatly reduced. If you don't eat the chances of becoming obese are greatly lessened. See how easy my position was to defend? :lol:

This isn't a discussion about the pros and cons of gun ownership. I'm also not talking the pros and cons of going to your local titty bar on a daily basis. I was talking about how best not to get in trouble.

In the same vein of logic, if you don't look for areas of disagreement you will probably not find as many. Anticipation and preconceived notions tend to influence/distort your perceptions of what is actually being said. Being a conservative on more than one mostly liberal ((probably) leaning forum you're probably getting a little gun shy (see what I did there? :lol:) when the word gun is mentioned but not from anything I have ever said. Nor will you. :ww:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Selassie I said:
I believe Mike Golic had the numbers just last week.

The NFL players are better behaved than the rest of the US male population according to the numbers he shared.

Salassie you're correct and all the stats over the years back it up. It's a myth that these guys are things. Many are of course but it isn't running rampant like some would have you believe. And when you consider where many of these guys come from its even more eye opening.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Thordaddy said:
Dog said:
Stranger said:
Are high profile NFL players being targeted by law enforcement? Sure seems that way to me.

:shock:

Heres an idea, how bout high profile athletes stop executing innocent people, attacking thier wives and falling off the back of thier own trucks, stop trafficking drugs, stop carrying weapons into airport security zones.....eh....you get the point?

sides....who knew who was in the car? The officer pulled him over for tinted window violations.

Johnny Hekker isnt getting targeted....he's a high profile NFL athlete and he tweets alot. He's even been seen frequenting questionable places like college vollyball games....yet strangly, he is'nt on the cops radar. :lmao:
In serious response to Stranger, I think the police nation wide took a lot of heat for the way LA Police looked the other way FOR OJ Simpson,and gotta say I'm sure the St. Lou Police did some of the same stuff for Marshal.
I think cruiser cams are making it less possible for cops to give celebs a break than before.
I would also submit that many of these guys ,many are treated less vigilantly about their behavior quirks ,coaches all along the way have enabled them to keep them on the field.
I don't think it's a targeting as much as the high profile athletes becoming more and more coarse people as the generational synergy of this misguided drug prohibition escalates the stakes and the surrounding culture.
Great post!

Also can't forget about how the media promotes the Gansta image as a role model ;)

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

nighttrain said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:

Compare it to Bell Gardens where I grew up, everybody there was a felon, no joke
train
I know Bell Gardens. You survived it ok?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

albefree69 said:
Thordaddy misreading:
And then making a completely indefensible pontification sure to prompt a political debate about if a gun isn't the problem but the person[/color][/b] begging for trouble. As is owning a gun. :loco:

Of course it's easily defensible. You have to stop trying to read agendas into what I say. If you don't ride in a car the chances of getting into a car accident are greatly reduced. If you don't have a gun the chances of getting busted for a violation of some gun ordinance is greatly reduced. If you don't eat the chances of becoming obese are greatly lessened. See how easy my position was to defend? :lol:

This isn't a discussion about the pros and cons of gun ownership. I'm also not talking the pros and cons of going to your local titty bar on a daily basis. I was talking about how best not to get in trouble.

In the same vein of logic, if you don't look for areas of disagreement you will probably not find as many. Anticipation and preconceived notions tend to influence/distort your perceptions of what is actually being said. Being a conservative on more than one mostly liberal ((probably) leaning forum you're probably getting a little gun shy (see what I did there? :lol:) when the word gun is mentioned but not from anything I have ever said. Nor will you. :ww:
Nah Al you din't say none of that, you just said it was "begging for trouble" owning a gun, which is a constitutional right and FWIW easily arguable a way to prevent "trouble".

By the way you originally represented it the mere exercise of a right was looking for trouble.

But as I predicted your defense of that statement lapsed into politics.

I didn't "misread " I read it was too simple a statement to misinterpret.
If you don't breath by your logic you are avoiding trouble,cuz dead men don't " beg for trouble", nor wear plaid for that matter, but I'd prefer not to have to be your fashion guru as well as your proof reader. :razzed:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

Stranger said:
Thordaddy said:
Dog said:
Stranger said:
Are high profile NFL players being targeted by law enforcement? Sure seems that way to me.

:shock:

Heres an idea, how bout high profile athletes stop executing innocent people, attacking thier wives and falling off the back of thier own trucks, stop trafficking drugs, stop carrying weapons into airport security zones.....eh....you get the point?

sides....who knew who was in the car? The officer pulled him over for tinted window violations.

Johnny Hekker isnt getting targeted....he's a high profile NFL athlete and he tweets alot. He's even been seen frequenting questionable places like college vollyball games....yet strangly, he is'nt on the cops radar. :lmao:
In serious response to Stranger, I think the police nation wide took a lot of heat for the way LA Police looked the other way FOR OJ Simpson,and gotta say I'm sure the St. Lou Police did some of the same stuff for Marshal.
I think cruiser cams are making it less possible for cops to give celebs a break than before.
I would also submit that many of these guys ,many are treated less vigilantly about their behavior quirks ,coaches all along the way have enabled them to keep them on the field.
I don't think it's a targeting as much as the high profile athletes becoming more and more coarse people as the generational synergy of this misguided drug prohibition escalates the stakes and the surrounding culture.
Great post!

Also can't forget about how the media promotes the Gansta image as a role model ;)
I think you and I need to come to some agreement of what "media " means ,I generally confine "media" to mean "news media", if you are talking ALL media including video games ,film,TV ,radio, music .....then I agree.
But I don't think ESPN glorifies gangstahism, fact is at times I see ESPN as a pretty "crakerasscracker" sports network that holds a lot of pop culture up to ridicule .

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Thordaddy thinking my sartorial acumen is beyond repair:
but I'd prefer not to have to be your fashion guru :razzed:

In my own defense, now that I don't get out much my wife picks out all my clothes. :oops:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

albefree69 said:
Thordaddy thinking my sartorial acumen is beyond repair:
but I'd prefer not to have to be your fashion guru :razzed:

In my own defense, now that I don't get out much my wife picks out all my clothes. :oops:
I would say that's a good thing,if I knew, but I don't so I , as usual, won't overplay my hand :ww:
Just remember when to wear white and you'll be ahead of most.

nighttrain

Legend

Stranger said:
nighttrain said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:

train
I know Bell Gardens. You survived it ok?
Went to Bell HS, grad in 65, I survived, OK I don't know about
train

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Also have to consider the media beast tge nfl has become we see and hear alot more about the nfl because it is higher profile then all other trademarks sports in the us. For ex players in nba fight with and hit a fan talked about for 2 days if that happens in the nfl it news for 3 months

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Thordaddy said:
Nah Al you din't say none of that, you just said it was "begging for trouble" owning a gun, which is a constitutional right and FWIW easily arguable a way to prevent "trouble".
As long as we're defining stuff, there are actually nothing call Constitutional Rights, only Constitutional Powers or Limits. So, the US Constitutions does not grant the gov't the power to impinge on an individuals gun ownership.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Thordaddy said:

Depends on how it's used. In terms of preventing/causing trouble among the general public (meaning you remove military/police forces, hunting, and range shooting out of the equation) then guns are usually used to cause more trouble than prevent. It's far more likely that a gun in the home will kill/injure a person who lives in that home than any intruder.

Simple steps of course lower these chances drastically, but in terms of chances that you're on the street and will need a gun, or an intruder breaks into your home while you're there, it's extremely unlikely. It's always good to be prepared of course (if it's a firearm, security system, big dog, tiger, whatever), but odds are it'll never happen, and it's more likely a child will injure themselves on something that isn't properly secured. So in a way, owning a gun is begging for trouble just as being paranoid about potential threats is also begging for trouble.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I swear to god if this turns into a gun control debate, I'm gonna start rattling teeth.
Figuratively speaking of course.