Perception vs. Reality – What Does Rams’ Win Over Oakland Mean?/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Perception vs. Reality – What Does Rams’ Win Over Raiders Mean?
By Anthony Stalter

http://www.101sports.com/2014/12/03/perception-vs-reality-rams-win-raiders-mean/

Derek Stanley and I weren’t 10 minutes into Sunday’s post-game show before a caller had labeled us, the Rams, and the Raiders as “losers.”

This was following a 52-0 Rams’ victory, no less.

Perception isn’t reality as much as our perception is our reality. Take that angry caller on Sunday: He was upset that Derek and I were giving the 5-7 Rams too much credit for beating the dumpster fire that is the Oakland Raiders. It didn’t matter that Tre Mason had tied the record for the second longest rush in Rams history by breaking off an 89-yard score, or that Stedman Bailey notched 100 receiving yards on five catches in the first quarter alone.

It didn’t matter that Gregg Williams’ defense pitched a shutout while forcing five turnovers and sacking Oakland quarterbacks a total of six times. It didn’t matter that the Rams’ 52-point margin of victory was the second highest margin in franchise history, or that the team’s 38 points in the first half is now tied for the second-most in franchise history.

A historic day for the Rams, reduced to, “Well, it was only the Raiders.”

The caller’s perception was that despite the 52-0 romp, the Rams, Raiders, and apparently Derek and I, are still losers. This was going to be his reality had the Rams won on a last-second field goal or had lost outright.

In a cynical way, though, the caller did foster a telling thought: What did the victory actually mean for the Rams? After all, as impressive as the win was, they’re still only 5-7 on the season. They’re not going to the playoffs and they’re still ticketed for a last-place finish in the NFC West, so what lessons can be gleaned from the victory?

In the present, it means that these games in 2014 still hold importance to the team. That’s something that shouldn’t be overlooked, especially considering the Rams aren’t going to the playoffs. The team hasn’t checked out, nobody has quit on Jeff Fisher, and the players are still plenty motivated despite not being in playoff contention. All of this is important, even if it can’t be measured.

The game also highlighted the continued ascension of the defense under Williams. In their last five games, the Rams have forced 13 turnovers, have racked up 22 sacks and have held opponents to 3.39 yards per carry. The return of Chris Long allowed us a taste of how much havoc the combination of Long, Robert Quinn, Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers can create. The secondary continues to have its fair share of breakdowns but it’s hard not to be excited about the futures of T.J. McDonald and E.J. Gaines as well.

The same can be said for Mason and Bailey, who combined for 264 of the offense’s 348 yards against the Raiders. In less than a month, Mason has shown more patience, vision and decisiveness than at any point during OTAs, training camp and preseason. Bailey continues to prove that he’s the best route runner out of any receiver on the team and possesses the most reliable hands as well. There’s no reason for these two players not to be featured in upcoming game plans in the month of December. There’s no reason that the Rams can’t exploit future opponents’ weaknesses just like they did on Sunday when they attacked the perimeter of an aging Oakland defense.

That leads us into this team’s future: Can Fisher get his coaching staff and players to be consistent on a weekly basis? People have talked about the Rams finishing at least 8-8 but the fact remains that this team hasn’t won back-to-back games all year. They’ve proven that they’re significantly better than the Raiders. They’ve proven that they’re creative and talented enough to upset Peyton Manning and the Broncos.

They’ve proven that they’re still a pain in the side of the Seahawks and 49ers and they’ve started to prove the notion that they’re a legitimate quarterback away from taking that proverbial next step.

But can this team change the perception that no matter how impressive they look from time to time, the reality is that this is still a franchise that will ultimately fall short of expectations?

A 52-0 victory in the NFL will always be impressive, no matter the opponent. For the Rams, though, a 52-0 victory becomes even more impressive, if not more important, when it’s followed by a strong finish to a season marred by adversity and inconsistency.

My perception is that the Rams are good enough to finish with a .500 record, despite not having Bradford under center all year. Time will tell if that’s only my perception and thus, just my reality.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Why does he say over and over that they are NOT going to the playoffs? Probably not. Most likely not. Very unlikely. But NOT is false. It IS possible, however remote.

The 52-0, not supported by the other big wins, would be suspect. Being that it comes on the heels of beating 3 of the 4 championship teams from last season, it's a very strong indicator that a beast has been born.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't care if we beat a HS team 52 nothing, well maybe one of those 8-man joints don't count...But 52 is 52, these are the pros....I just saw them ( the Raiders) beat the Chiefs....That was a damn good win, I wished we had scored 80 and got some rookies in the game...That second half wasn't good for this offense.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
In the bigger scheme of things, it probably doesn't mean much. Especially if we fall on our face come this Sunday......

But......it could also be considered a "jumping off point" if we were to put everything together and win several in a row....even if we don't get to be in the playoffs......We become the team no one wants to play. A tough, physical, "you-punch-us-once-we'll-hit-you-a-dozen-times", 60 minutes of the "in your face w/ a tire tool" tencacity that makes teams think of in advance, it's going to be the worse day of the season beforehand............

But it's just a random thought.............;)

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't care if we beat a HS team 52 nothing, well maybe one of those 8-man joints don't count...But 52 is 52, these are the pros....I just saw them ( the Raiders) beat the Chiefs....That was a damn good win, I wished we had scored 80 and got some rookies in the game...That second half wasn't good for this offense.

They slowed down in the second half. You can't help it when you're that far ahead. I was there and you could see the energy ebb. Smiling and joking on the sideline. That sort of thing.

I was scared the Raiders were going to be tough after the KC game but I guess KC just slept them and paid for it.

YES, Oakland sucks but how bad? Rams beat them by 52 points. Thier worst loss before that this season was 24 points (twice) and that was Denver and the Dolphins. So the Rams more than DOUBLED their worst game. That's even with them playing many playoff headed teams. Most of their losses were between a score to 10 points.

So, yes, 52 is damn impressive.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 bring back memories for me:
I can remember a game that the Missouri Tigers played against the perennially awesome, usually Rose Bowl bound UCLA Bruins and we beat them 55-11 I believe. They still went to the Rose Bowl and we finished below .500. It was the first or second game of the season. On any Saturday/Sunday.

That was thousnans of years ago though.

Last edited:

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
We have a front row seat to what the rest of the league will soon find out the hard way.So sit back and enjoy my Rams brothers and sisters because we are witnessing the infancy of what will be the most dominant team in the NFL.

RamzFanz

Damnit
We have a front row seat to what the rest of the league will soon find out the hard way.So sit back and enjoy my Rams brothers and sisters because we are witnessing the infancy of what will be the most dominant team in the NFL.

Release the Kraken!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I've heard from media heads and opposing fans that the Rams will play "up" or "down" to their opposition. IMO that's just a sign of a young team.
Rams may have gotten over that hurdle last Sunday. Beat the Redskins by a touchdown this week and it could mean a lot going forward.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I really enjoyed this article. I think it brings up a lot of valid points and it reminds me of how I think. I'm not a fan who is great with stats or anything like that, but what I do excel in is picking up on things like trends. To me the Raiders game is only as important as what the Rams do with it. Simply put, they have to find a way to continue to win games and believe that they CAN win games. Otherwise that blow out becomes nothing more then a faded meomery in a short few weeks. A young team has to learn to win. That's how they build chemistry and an identity. To me a 52-0 win against the Raiders is close to being meangingless unless they can build upon it and can continue to devlop into a winning team. The development of this team is the only thing keeping my sanity alive as a Rams fan.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why does he say over and over that they are NOT going to the playoffs? Probably not. Most likely not. Very unlikely. But NOT is false. It IS possible, however remote.

The 52-0, not supported by the other big wins, would be suspect. Being that it comes on the heels of beating 3 of the 4 championship teams from last season, it's a very strong indicator that a beast has been born.
I'm glad you beat me to this^ comment! The guy does 'NOT' know shit from shineola!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It means we have another chance to win two games in a row ...