Perception by Other Fans That Goff will Bust

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sam and Jared could not have come up under more different circumstances. Unlike Sam, Jared got his @$$ handed to him with a poor team and led the program resurgence.

I am still in shock that the Rams moved up for him. Ecstatic about it, and it will be that move we look back on as the one that changed our fortunes. The fans of the other teams can suck it. It will be impossible for them to make excuses once this dude hits his stride.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Goff has nothing in common with Bradford , Sam played for Oklahoma who was number 1 or 2 in the country and probably the most talented team in the ncaa, Goff came into cal after a 1 win season and turned things around with very few if any NFL talent on his team. I DONT SEE HOW PEOPLE SAY"THE RAMS TRADED AWAY TOO MUCH", we just had double the picks because of the trade with Washington, so the rams have as many picks over the last 4 years as every other team so no we didn't give up to much/.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sam and Jared could not have come up under more different circumstances. Unlike Sam, Jared got his @$$ handed to him with a poor team and led the program resurgence.

I am still in shock that the Rams moved up for him. Ecstatic about it, and it will be that move we look back on as the one that changed our fortunes. The fans of the other teams can suck it. It will be impossible for them to make excuses once this dude hits his stride.

Goff has nothing in common with Bradford , Sam played for Oklahoma who was number 1 or 2 in the country and probably the most talented team in the ncaa, Goff came into cal after a 1 win season and turned things around with very few if any NFL talent on his team. I DONT SEE HOW PEOPLE SAY"THE RAMS TRADED AWAY TOO MUCH", we just had double the picks because of the trade with Washington, so the rams have as many picks over the last 4 years as every other team so no we didn't give up to much/.
True on both posts. Not only that but it is virtually a complete opposite situation. Bradford came from an ultra talented college program, had an aging SJ and almost nothing else when he got to the Pros. Goff came from a mess of a program to a team that has the best RB in the league, TA, Britt, a slew of POTENTIAL offensive weapons, and an O-line that looks to be a force in the making (gawd I hope so).

I wouldn't be surprised if Goff has a very good rookie season - bumps and all.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just wishful thinking...Many thought Blake Bortles was going to be a bust too, for some odd reason over the years some people seem to enjoy informing others about busts than future great players, so let me be the first...Jared Thomas Goff will go down in history as the greatest Ram Quarterback ever, IMHO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
LOL most of us call it reality, you're ignoring what we received in the trade he's listing everything that changed hands in the trade. We did not give up 6 picks to get the 1st overall pick. We sent 6 picks to get 3 picks that included the first overall pick a net loss of 3 picks not 6.

We're splitting hairs here a little bit, OldSchool.

Your reply is a 100% true statement. And yet it's misleading because of a lack of context.

It requires that one ignore the superior value of 1sts, 2nds, and 3rds to the value of a 4th and a 6th. We would have received the 3rd as a comp pick with or without the trade, anyway.

As I said earlier, I would have made that trade, too. I heartily approve. But I'm not gonna twist myself into a logic pretzel to pretend that we gave up less than we did.

The Titans extracted full value for their #1 overall.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Why Jared Goff is special,when you throw footballs like this...
AF%2Blook%2Bsafety%2Boff.gif
:

And when you have Houdini Escape ability like this.................

7694257e05c021d4229e99345383a4c2.gif

goffplay1.0.gif

eIDXCguL61ZcK2DUNLIxdQ7NccGk8YJGjx-6I4IYPWnImhoMxnvK-72GsI3YKsCxqxGoLz-O9bwUVBslJ1eTJn4gf9lp-X03TZSOs2mOKPawXNjgJm1PHtzaPzt34zYb_3g96g

AncientFearlessDragonfly.gif

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

Your reply is a 100% true statement. And yet it's misleading because of a lack of context.

It requires that one ignore the superior value of 1sts, 2nds, and 3rds to the value of a 4th and a 6th. We would have received the 3rd as a comp pick with or without the trade, anyway.

As I said earlier, I would have made that trade, too. I heartily approve. But I'm not gonna twist myself into a logic pretzel to pretend that we gave up less than we did.

Your reality is crystal clear 43 and I'm not one to downplay the kings ransom it took to move up from #15 to the number 1 overall pick.

I will not deny I'm going to feel left out when the 2017 first round is turned on my big screen but as you know me 43...

I would've sweetened the pot even a little more had the Titans GM mr. Jon Robinson balked at our last offer especially if I truly believed another team was going to get a deal done, unless another pick or two was added to the pot.

I believe the Rams got a fair deal (not taken advantage of in any way though no coupon discounts either) and no doubt the Titans got the true value of what the #1 overall pick was worth when you consider they slid back 14 spots.

Los+Angeles+Rams+Introduce+Jared+Goff+g3P_eHdPslTl.jpg

9155fdfb-993b-44e6-9b4c-938f97580225.jpg

rams-titans-trade-nfl-draft-no-1-overall-pick-jeff-fisher-les-snead.jpg

19951919-mmmain.png

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I have to mildly disagree with your rationalization there, Roman.

Any way we slice it, this trade cost the Rams two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds. Snead salvaged a 4th and a 6th kicked back in the process, but the facts are the facts.

FWIW, I'm impressed with his use of those acquired picks. But still...

For the record, I fully support the trade. Yeah, it was costly, but a quality starting QB for the next 15 years is a very valuable thing. Priceless, really.

I think our competition in the division is worried now. And they should be. We went 4-2 against them last year with Foles and Keenum. And Keenum actually had a winning record vs the league.

Just wait until Goff gets a handle on things. Lol.

A few other guys already addressed this, and "spin" is always employed by those that support, and those that want to marginalize a ballsy move, like Snead pulled off.

spin.gif

Stop the spinning top. Here is the trade in human form:

Rams get:

(1,1) Jared Goff
(4,117) Pharoh Cooper
(6,177) Temmarick Hemmingway
(6,206) Mike Thomas

Titans get:

(1,15) Corey Coleman
(2,43) Austin Johnson
(2,45) Derrick Henry
(3,76) Shon Coleman
'17 1st Round
'17 3rd Round

The Rams bounty is complete from this trade. The Titans, of course still have two pretty nice picks next year to add to the mix. Who will "win" this trade? Like any other, it will take years to determine. But be sure, the Rams were not "RGIII"ed by this deal.

The Rams did not mortgage their future, like the lazy national journalists breathlessly report. They used those picks at QB, WR (twice) and TE, nicely filling the holes with quality prospects. Could they all bust? Sure. I can also see each of those guys being studs for years to come. Time will tell.

Also, for the draftnicks on this forum, does anyone have any analysis of the Titans picks so far. I don't know enough, but I like our list better so far. Perhaps with our first and third next year they can persuade me otherwise. :sneaky:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I read the first paragraph then came to the conclusion that you should change the title to "Perception by Butt Hurt Fans That Goff Will Bust". Fans in the division hardly have opinions that matter. You can't honestly expect an honest review when going head to head with that of fans of your rivals.

+1

Those guys thought they were going to get Goff and are butthurt over it. So now he's going to be a bust to them. More wishful thinking. Reminds me of the former diehard Rams fans at the PD. They loved the Rams, but now they're gone and all of a sudden the Rams are the worst run organization in all of sports.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

goffplay1.0.gif

eIDXCguL61ZcK2DUNLIxdQ7NccGk8YJGjx-6I4IYPWnImhoMxnvK-72GsI3YKsCxqxGoLz-O9bwUVBslJ1eTJn4gf9lp-X03TZSOs2mOKPawXNjgJm1PHtzaPzt34zYb_3g96g

Goff has a Joe Montana-like presence in his movement and demeanor "superior feet in the pocket", "rush awareness", "poise" and "accuracy under pressure".Goff took a beating and never flinched. He has the translatable skills necessary to succeed at the next level i.e. HOF level.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

I don't disagree with that at all but to say the #1 pick cost us 6 picks is disingenuous it ignores the fact that we got 2 other picks. The way you're portraying it gives the maximum negative impression. The way I stated it gave it the maximum positive impression. The reality, which is rarely stated, is somewhere in the middle yet the trade is almost 100% reported the way you said the maximum negative impression.

Name
rick
Trade was a no-brainer. If I was ANY team that didn't already have a Top-12 QB, I would trade a 1st Rounder for my pick of QB in any given year. That's really all it was, one 1, not two 1s. We SWAPPED one. Along with the Eagles 2 from Sam. No biggie at all.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

goffplay1.0.gif

Goff has the uncanny ability to square up his body to make a throw on a dime. That's usually the first mechanic that a QB will get lazy with when consistently facing pressure like he did at Cal.

Drafting QB's is like a box of chocolates.
200.gif

But what i do know to a certainty is that the Rams are due. We all know this.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Any way we slice it, this trade cost the Rams two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds. Snead salvaged a 4th and a 6th kicked back in the process, but the facts are the facts.
These are not the facts. We traded 1st round picks. Saying that the trade cost us two first rounders is inaccurate. Saying the trade with the skins cost them two first rounders is accurate. We still picked in the first round this year so therefore, it cost us next year's first. Our firsts wash so it is just the placement of those firsts that cost the other pics minus the two other pics we got in return. The other picks are true but you are still just whitewashing the fact that we did get compensation for some of those as well.

And yours ignores the superior value of a #1 overall vs #15.

The bottom line is that the Rams did pretty well in value when you compare our deal to others around the league both past and present. We actually gave up less to go from 15 to 1 than the skins gave up to go from 6 to 2 or the Iggles gave up this year to get to #2 from 13.

I get that even though you are IMO exaggerating the cost of us grabbing Goff, you like the deal. I just get real tired of these talking heads and fans of other teams acting like we gave up a kings ransom like no other. They even ignore the Iggles trading away two starters to get to 8 in the first place so they could then trade almost as much as we did to go from 8 to 2. I wasn't exactly in the trade the farm for a QB but go big or go home. And we went big without actually selling the farm to pay for it. Kudos to the Rams FO.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These are not the facts. We traded 1st round picks. Saying that the trade cost us two first rounders is inaccurate. Saying the trade with the skins cost them two first rounders is accurate. We still picked in the first round this year so therefore, it cost us next year's first. Our firsts wash so it is just the placement of those firsts that cost the other pics minus the two other pics we got in return. The other picks are true but you are still just whitewashing the fact that we did get compensation for some of those as well.

And yours ignores the superior value of a #1 overall vs #15.

The bottom line is that the Rams did pretty well in value when you compare our deal to others around the league both past and present. We actually gave up less to go from 15 to 1 than the skins gave up to go from 6 to 2 or the Iggles gave up this year to get to #2 from 13.

I get that even though you are IMO exaggerating the cost of us grabbing Goff, you like the deal. I just get real tired of these talking heads and fans of other teams acting like we gave up a kings ransom like no other. They even ignore the Iggles trading away two starters to get to 8 in the first place so they could then trade almost as much as we did to go from 8 to 2. I wasn't exactly in the trade the farm for a QB but go big or go home. And we went big without actually selling the farm to pay for it. Kudos to the Rams FO.

homer:homer:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW - Where the fuck is @jrry32 in these discussions. The front office finally listens to him :whistle: :huh: and he's nowhere to be found.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW - Where the freak is @jrry32 in these discussions. The front office finally listens to him :whistle: :huh: and he's nowhere to be found.

I doubt that I post on that site. But I've been busy with work. Which is okay with me because this is the slow time of the year. I don't feel the need to defend Goff right now. I know the Rams got the right guy. Goff's play will do all the talking. Let them enjoy their ability to crow right now. The next 10-15 years will be rough for them.