Pead clears waivers, put on Rams IR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Can't win em all.

Ain't that the truth. Just a shame that it was such an easy pick to "win" on. That said if you'd said prior to the pick, over the next two years we'll end up spending a second, a fifth and sign an UDFA and come away with Stacy, Cunningham and Pead I doubt anyone would have complained too much.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ain't that the truth. Just a shame that it was such an easy pick to "win" on. That said if you'd said prior to the pick, over the next two years we'll end up spending a second, a fifth and sign an UDFA and come away with Stacy, Cunningham and Pead I doubt anyone would have complained too much.
True. But #45 overall isn't necessarily a guarantee. In the last eight years, only one guy panned out from that slot (Zane Beadles in 2010). The rest are Isaiah Pead (2012), Rahim Moore (2011), Clint Sintim (2009), Jordan Dizon (2008), Dwayne Jarrett (2007) and LenDale White (2006). Jury's still out on Kevin Minter (2013) and Paul Richardson (2014). Maybe that slot is semi-cursed. Kinda gotta go back to 2005 to see a good return (Lofa Tatupu), and then it gets bad again going back further.

Is what it is. It was a gimme pick anyway.

yeahand.gif

True. But #45 overall isn't necessarily a guarantee. In the last eight years, only one guy panned out from that slot (Zane Beadles in 2010). The rest are Isaiah Pead (2012), Rahim Moore (2011), Clint Sintim (2009), Jordan Dizon (2008), Dwayne Jarrett (2007) and LenDale White (2006). Jury's still out on Kevin Minter (2013) and Paul Richardson (2014). Maybe that slot is semi-cursed. Kinda gotta go back to 2005 to see a good return (Lofa Tatupu), and then it gets bad again going back further.

Is what it is. It was a gimme pick anyway.

yeahand.gif

Each draft is different though, there were 5 players who we could have drafted in our original spot who could have been very good for us:
Alshon Jeffery
Mychal Kendricks
Bobby Wagner
Kendall Reyes
and the guy I was pounding the table for Lavonte David

Those 5 make the Pead pick worse than the Jason Smith pick for me, there's few players in that draft (especially once you factor in pay) who you regret passing on, to have 5 in such a short space most of which fans were screaming for makes it a painful pick.

But as you say it is what it is.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Each draft is different though, there were 5 players who we could have drafted in our original spot who could have been very good for us:
Alshon Jeffery
Mychal Kendricks
Bobby Wagner
Kendall Reyes
and the guy I was pounding the table for Lavonte David

Those 5 make the Pead pick worse than the Jason Smith pick for me, there's few players in that draft (especially once you factor in pay) who you regret passing on, to have 5 in such a short space most of which fans were screaming for makes it a painful pick.

But as you say it is what it is.
Mhm. I'm still bitter about taking Eddie Kennison over Marvin Harrison.

And the Pead pick comparable to Jason Smith? Nope. Not even close, IMO.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Pead was waived to free up his roster spot for the 75 player cut-down. It's kind of an unwritten rule that other teams won't pick up a player you put on waivers if he has an injury, and the Rams were particularly safe in that assumption due to Pead's lack of production to date. So they knew all along he'd be back and able to be put on IR. The Rams could have negotiated an injury settlement and just released him, but there's no benefit to anyone because injury settlements are based on how many games you'd miss. Since he's missing them all, he'd be entitled to his full salary anyway. So pay him to leave or pay him to stay. Other teams aren't responsible for his injury settlement, but they would pick up his salary. And again, why would another team do that when he's not going to play this year? So that's why he's here still. We owe him his salary either directly, or as the result of an injury settlement, so they're paying either way. Might as well let him rehab here and see what happens.
@-X- Thanks

Limey

Rookie
Pead was waived to free up his roster spot for the 75 player cut-down. It's kind of an unwritten rule that other teams won't pick up a player you put on waivers if he has an injury, and the Rams were particularly safe in that assumption due to Pead's lack of production to date. So they knew all along he'd be back and able to be put on IR. The Rams could have negotiated an injury settlement and just released him, but there's no benefit to anyone because injury settlements are based on how many games you'd miss. Since he's missing them all, he'd be entitled to his full salary anyway. So pay him to leave or pay him to stay. Other teams aren't responsible for his injury settlement, but they would pick up his salary. And again, why would another team do that when he's not going to play this year? So that's why he's here still. We owe him his salary either directly, or as the result of an injury settlement, so they're paying either way. Might as well let him rehab here and see what happens.

I'm also confused about this, particularly as it might be relevant to Barrett Jones. If they want to place a player on IR, is it always like the PS, whereby they have to waive them first? I thought I read during the draft that the team from Northern California often picked injured players (like Lattimore) as their roster is essentially full, and they can get better value by choosing players who would normally have been higher round picks, then stashing them on IR. Do the players they draft also have to clear waivers? Jones, with his smarts and the toughness he showed in playing injured at college, still strikes me as a player who could have a big NFL future at centre, so I would hate to see him lost to a waiver claim before he can establish himself. Can they PUP him without exposing him?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm also confused about this, particularly as it might be relevant to Barrett Jones. If they want to place a player on IR, is it always like the PS, whereby they have to waive them first? I thought I read during the draft that the team from Northern California often picked injured players (like Lattimore) as their roster is essentially full, and they can get better value by choosing players who would normally have been higher round picks, then stashing them on IR. Do the players they draft also have to clear waivers? Jones, with his smarts and the toughness he showed in playing injured at college, still strikes me as a player who could have a big NFL future at centre, so I would hate to see him lost to a waiver claim before he can establish himself. Can they PUP him without exposing him?
Different rules apply as to when players are placed on IR. Different rules apply to the preseason and "in season" designations. For starters, the PUP list is for players who are injured prior to, and are unable to participate in training camp. Therefore, neither Pead or Barrett Jones are eligible to be added to that list.

If Jones is left on the 53 man roster, and then at some point is deemed to be placed on IR, they don't have to expose him to waivers prior to placing him on IR. In Pead's case, as "X" explained, it was as a precursor to getting to the roster limit of 75 come Tuesday.

They do this to prevent teams from stashing players away on IR, who were "injured" prior to the season starting, therefore never making it to the 53 man roster. Otherwise, teams can "find" injuries to players without ever having to expose them. In the 49ers case, drafting players who never practice, can be placed on the PUP list, and once the season starts, assuming they never participated in training camp, can then be converted to the IR list.

Limey

Rookie
Different rules apply as to when players are placed on IR. .

Thanks for taking the time to explain this - it is much appreciated. Now I've stopped lurking, I should also thank you for all the camp reports you have posted on here and on that other site - they were always the first thing I looked for in pre-season. As with many others here, it was the senseless abuse you got for an early report on the other forum that made up my mind to boycott that one altogether.

A320driver

Rookie
Ahhh ....Coach O the voice of reason ;)
IE. The Barrett Jones dilemma as it applies to the 53