Pead clears waivers, put on Rams IR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
wrstdude mostly in agreement with me:
There's a senior football player who I coach who is back this season after tearing his ACL 6 1/2 months ago-fully cleared by his doctor.
So it seems like our only area of disagreement is the meaning of the concept "to be back" as in your earlier statement: "it's the norm to be back before a year". Your definition appears to be "fully cleared by his doctor". My definition is back to 100% of where you were before the injury. Or, when talking about Tommy John surgery, better than 100%. :)
Sometimes if you're good enough, coming back at 80% is still better than the alternative. As the article said, every body is different.

iced

So it seems like our only area of disagreement is the meaning of the concept "to be back" as in your earlier statement: "it's the norm to be back before a year". Your definition appears to be "fully cleared by his doctor". My definition is back to 100% of where you were before the injury. Or, when talking about Tommy John surgery, better than 100%. :)
Sometimes if you're good enough, coming back at 80% is still better than the alternative. As the article said, every body is different.

Not trying to get into the semantics or anything here - but from the surgeons I've consulted or dealt with all told me that "you can never get back to actual 100% strength, pre- injury... You want to avoid surgery as much as possible."

but then again what do i know - I was just a grunt, these guys are professional athletes.

Alan

Legend
iced talking shit about semantics:
Not trying to get into the semantics or anything here - but from the surgeons I've consulted or dealt with all told me that "you can never get back to actual 100% strength, pre- injury... You want to avoid surgery as much as possible."
First of all, I love getting into semantics because to one person it's just a choice of words but to another person it completely changes the meaning and/or makes or unmakes your point. Don't be shy with me iced. (y) :LOL:
For the most point you're correct but I meant that (although I didn't make it clear) in the sense that no one can tell the difference between 96% and 100%. However, you should read some stuff on Tommy John surgery. There is a debate going on right now about it that has people wondering if you should get preemptory Tommy John surgery because it isn't an actual repair but instead a replacement/substitution that seems to actually make you stronger than you were before the surgery.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Update:

Former Rams second-round pick RB Isaiah Pead officially cleared waivers on Thursday and will now revert to the team’s injured reserve list.

Pead, 24, suffered a torn ACL during Saturday’s second preseason game. The injury was obvious as he wasn’t contacted by a Packers players before going down.

Given the fact that he suffered a serious injury, it’s not all that surprising to see him go unclaimed.

http://nfltraderumors.co/rams-waivedinjured-rb-isaiah-pead/

Seems strange to me that a guy goes down like this and the company (team) he works for can just cut him loose even though he was hurt on the job. :confused:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Maybe it gives the full back Kadeem (sp?) Jones a chance to make the roster. We can go with Mason, Austin, Reynolds, Cunningham and or Stacy as our 3DRB - but having jones in on 3rd down as a blocker who could release into the flat if he's neglected by the defence could be useful - he's also a pretty talented fullback so even though we haven't used the position recently (with just Kendricks being used to WHAM occasionally on running plays) having a real full back in there could help our running game even more!

No way, no thanks, no how. IMO thats wasting a roster spot. Keeping him could force a guy like Westbrooks, Sam, Roberson, Reid, or Bryant from making the team. Lets keep someone with talent and upside before we keep a below average-average fullback and let Kendricks take some snaps from the fullback spot.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Seems strange to me that a guy goes down like this and the company (team) he works for can just cut him loose even though he was hurt on the job. :confused:
And where does it say anything about them cutting him loose? A formality that is part of the process to get him to the IR list. Hardly cutting him loose. He will still be paid, and allowed to rehab using team facilities with team trainers.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
And where does it say anything about them cutting him loose? A formality that is part of the process to get him to the IR list. Hardly cutting him loose. He will still be paid, and allowed to rehab using team facilities with team trainers.
I guess maybe I don't fully understand the whole being waived part. I understand that now he will be in the Rams family while rehabing but they were will to let someone else pay thetab if they wanted him, right?

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I guess maybe I don't fully understand the whole being waived part. I understand that now he will be in the Rams family while rehabing but they were will to let someone else pay thetab if they wanted him, right?

I am with you on this. I don't get the purpose of waiving the player in this case. During the regular season we hear of injured players beng placed on IR immediately.
Why in preseason do they have to be "waived" ?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I really hope he is able to come back and make a good return because I think when Fisher & Co drafted Pead and Stacy back to back years they envisioned a RB committee with power and speed.

We all know what kind of RB Stacy is, very physical type. Pead was going to bring those quick cuts with speed. Defense's might not have been ready for that shit. Pead looked real good in college but it just never translated to the NFL yet, unfortunately.

RamWoodie

Legend
Hey - Pead had to learn pass-pro, maybe Mason will as well.
Are you kidding? The one thing Pead never had problems with was pass-pro. He was the best of the group...last year.

Pead's problem was having the right attitude as I saw it...and it took sitting him to get him to understand the team concept.

He never had a pass-pro problem I know of.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I am with you on this. I don't get the purpose of waiving the player in this case. During the regular season we hear of injured players beng placed on IR immediately.
Why in preseason do they have to be "waived" ?
Pead was waived to free up his roster spot for the 75 player cut-down. It's kind of an unwritten rule that other teams won't pick up a player you put on waivers if he has an injury, and the Rams were particularly safe in that assumption due to Pead's lack of production to date. So they knew all along he'd be back and able to be put on IR. The Rams could have negotiated an injury settlement and just released him, but there's no benefit to anyone because injury settlements are based on how many games you'd miss. Since he's missing them all, he'd be entitled to his full salary anyway. So pay him to leave or pay him to stay. Other teams aren't responsible for his injury settlement, but they would pick up his salary. And again, why would another team do that when he's not going to play this year? So that's why he's here still. We owe him his salary either directly, or as the result of an injury settlement, so they're paying either way. Might as well let him rehab here and see what happens.

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
Mr. Pead kinda reminds me of the guy with untapped potential in that GEICO
Pinocchio commercial.

jap

Legend

It's wishful thinking on the part of some of the Pead detractors, nothing more. :sneaky:

iced

One need only look at Davin Joseph and Kenny Britt to find examples of what I'm talking about. There's a big difference between getting back on the field and getting back to pre-injury levels of play.

The techniques used for the surgery have gotten better though. Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-all-knee-injuries-recovery-periods-are-alike
NFL players find not all knee injuries, recovery periods are alike
Despite the remarkable recovery of Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson two years ago, not every player rehabbing from a knee injury will be back on the field in eight months.

NFL Network Health and Safety Chief Correspondent Andrea Kremer said while there is no cookie-cutter timetable for bouncing back from ACL injuries, some NFL players believe they are not 100 percent back from knee surgeries until as many as three seasons after the injury.

"Every body is different," Kremer said Thursday on "NFL Total Access." "Every knee heals differently. And every ACL injury is unique because there is different amounts of damage that has been sustained to the knee."

Last year, Kremer chronicled
Darrelle Revis' comeback from a major knee injury. She noted that for many NFL players their knee is stronger the second season after the surgery.

"Revis made the Pro Bowl last year, but he'd be the first to tell you that it's this upcoming season that the 'Island' will be officially open for business," she said. "And there are equally high expectations for (Robert Griffin III) for this upcoming season."

Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer, who came back from an ACL tear during a 2006 playoff game with the Cincinnati Bengals, said it's tough enough preparing for the season healthy.

"To add a surgery like that, it's just a long, long grind," Palmer said. "You go through so many different emotions and so many physical struggles."

Famed orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews said the athlete may not always understand how severe the injury can be. He said it may take more than a year for some athletes to get the strength back in their quads alone.

A 2010 study found that one third of the players who suffered an ACL injury did not return to the NFL after the surgery. The ones who made it back needed an average of 11 months of recovery before playing again.

"I think the first season back is just scary," said Palmer, who thinks recovery can take as much as three seasons. "You're told that it will hold up and you're told that it's ready, but until you get onto the field, and get hit low a couple times ... until that happens, you don't really know that it is completely healed.

" ... I thought that I would get that same push-off, that same drive. The truth of the matter is, you'll never to get to exactly where that knee was before it was cut open and things were moved around."

Also, Kremer said studies show that there is a 5-6 percent chance of a recurrent injury to the same knee within two years.

It's also different when you're talking about the bucs and post-surgery cleanliness (they haven't exactly assembled 'the best staph') .... Britt's woes have been tied to way more than just "an acl" - that's why people keep talking about his head, his motivation etc... not that far off from Pead imo.

Alan

Legend
iced pointing out the panoply of red flags that make up the story of Britt:
It's also different when you're talking about the bucs and post-surgery cleanliness (they haven't exactly assembled 'the best staph') .... Britt's woes have been tied to way more than just "an acl" - that's why people keep talking about his head, his motivation etc...
Those are a part of the mix that's for sure.

Ramathon

Don't think Pead has much to detract from.

Thank you.

I just don't get all the fans who seem to think Pead didn't get a chance to show his stuff on field because he was in 'Fishers doghouse'. If Fisher kept a talented player on the sideline simply because of his attitude, then he should be fired by the end of business today.

In reality, I'd be willing to bet he just never showed enough on the field in practice to deserve playing time ahead of the other RB's on the team, and whatever 'attitude' problems he may have had were secondary...and a trivial factor.

I don't understand why it's so hard to accept that his college level game just doesn't translate to the NFL. It happens all the time. There's been more than a couple Heismann winning RB's who couldn't make it in the NFL. And Pead was good in college, but was he ever in the Heismann discussions.(?)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Unfortunately for Isaiah, he has been fighting uphill ever since he missed the entire offseason his rookie year because Cincinnati was on the quarter system. That allowed Daryl Richardson to impress coaches and get ahead of him in 2012 as he needed training camp to get his first practice snaps while other players had 14 practices under their belt already. Last year, he had a good offseason but the suspension (which was based on 2012 offseason issue) forced us to give more reps to other RBs to prepare for the AZ opener. However, he stayed quiet, worked hard and made a great niche for himself on special teams. Now he is a key core player there and that confidence has helped him have his best offseason to date. He has had his share of reps with the first team and looked quicker and better in practices. I think we are all excited about his progress, but it does need to translate in preseason games and regular season games. However, nobody is harder on Isaiah than Isaiah, and we expect good things this year from him.

I like Demoff, but he was put in a difficult position with answering a question on Pead. He does well to say nothing bad whilst also not saying a lot good, a lot of words to basically say he's being given a shot to show us if he's got anything at all in him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like Demoff, but he was put in a difficult position with answering a question on Pead. He does well to say nothing bad whilst also not saying a lot good, a lot of words to basically say he's being given a shot to show us if he's got anything at all in him.
Yeah, he said a lot of the things many of us have said. He's got talent, started out behind the curve, screwed himself with a suspension, worked hard to get back, but he needs to show it in games. Now, unfortunately, it may be too late. Too bad, because he's honestly one of the more dynamic and well rounded RBs I've seen coming out of college.

Can't win em all.