PD: Ryan may not be right for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 50c8f.html

TUESDAY'S QUESTION:

Should the Rams hire Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator, or is there a better choice?

JIM THOMAS:

By the numbers, Ryan's resumé isn't impressive, and most of his experience is with the 3-4. It doesn't seem like a good fit.

Of the name candidates, Lovie Smith might be a better fit, although it's unclear if he would want to be a defensive coordinator if he doesn't get another head-coaching job this year.

JOE STRAUSS:

The Rob Ryan thing strikes me as a Cult of Personality hire. Yes, the Cowboys injuries on defense are well chronicled, as are the improvements made by the Pokes late in the season. Still, we're talking about a coach who prefers a 3-4 alignment (the Rams run a 4-3) and has never supervised a playoff defense.

Yes, Ryan offers an easy-to-find sideline presence and TV loves to display his histrionics. Players supposedly love to play for him. I get the narrative. But the Rams offered a legitimate defense this year within their system. Chris Long seems to be an emerging star. Brockers played well as a rookie. The Rams lack depth at linebacker.

I'm on board with any of several recently ousted head coaches. It's doubtful Lovie Smith would return since he remains a head coaching candidate elsewhere following a 10-6 season. Dick Jauron makes some sense. It's fascinating that many panic at the thought of importing another offensive coordinator who may cloud the QB's development but have little issue disrupting a scheme that appears to be bearing fruit. Give me steak. Hold the Ryan sizzle.

JEFF GORDON:

Rob Ryan would be a great choice as long as he and Jeff Fisher are on the same page defensively. This IS Jeff Fisher's team and that IS his defensive scheme, adjusted on a game-to-game basis depending on the opponent. Fisher has a history of employing strong coordinators, but they must fit within his framework. If Rob is comfortable working within Fisher's parameters, he could help drive the unit forward.

ANDY STRICKLAND (KFNS host 3-6 p.m.):

Obviously there's a long history with Jeff Fisher and the Ryan family. Rex and Rob were ball boys when Fisher worked under their father Buddy in Chicago. There are some options out there with Buffalo firing linebackers coach Dave Wannstedt who has a decent NFL resume. Many have mentioned Dick Jauron who's in limbo up in Cleveland. If Jauron becomes an option you'd have to give it some serious consideration.

I will say this, Rob Ryan is a "wild man" on the sidelines and the Rams would certainly become more interesting. Fisher may ask him to tone it down a notch if he comes to St. Louis. Ryan has a brother who lives in the area and a reputation as a very good coach, it seems the Rams could do much worse. Not to mention Fisher is very hands on with his defense and will still have a heavy influence on Sundays.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is the noodle that started this whole Ryan non-story.

0086fc33925d4956b2aa009.png

And it's based on...... nothing.

Then Dallas news picked it up and reported on it.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/R ... 31551.html

And then every other media outlet in the world ran with it.

I firmly believe this isn't going to happen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Although......

He *is* one sexy beast. I wouldn't mind him roaming the sidelines for us.
in a speedo.

rob-and-rex-ryan-on-the-beach.jpg

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
This is the noodle that started this whole Ryan non-story.

0086fc33925d4956b2aa009.png

And it's based on...... nothing.

Then Dallas news picked it up and reported on it.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/R ... 31551.html

And then every other media outlet in the world ran with it.

I firmly believe this isn't going to happen.

I've already expressed my concerns about Ryan's experience (or lack of) with the 4-3, so I hope you're correct Paul. Like you, I don't think he's a good fit. IMO, wild men are entertaining, but rarely grounded enough to keep things under control. Stability and consistency, that's the ticket to success.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The fact that Ryan is not signed...

And the fact the Rams rarely let their business play out in public...

Tells me...

It's not going to be Ryan.