Payton, Shanahan or McDaniels

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't think Denver is more attractive from a personnel standpoint, however. They don't have a QB, first off, and aren't drafting high enough to get one. Elway will likely make a move to get one, but they have other needs as well.

Where Denver is more attractive than LA is the fact a hot coordinator has a system in place that is successful to support him and get him players. But then again the Rams have the QB, the RB, and some other real nice pieces like Donald and Ogletree, so if they bring in a complementary GM that probably reduces that advantage a little.
They drafted Lynch last year in the first rnd

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They drafted Lynch last year in the first rnd

Forgot about Lynch, and I really liked him too coming out of the draft, just not as much as Goff. But still I don't think Denver is necessarily the coveted job, or any better than LA. The LA job is one of those special place and time opportunities that open up, and I think coaches around the league know that.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Forgot about Lynch, and I really liked him too coming out of the draft, just not as much as Goff. But still I don't think Denver is necessarily the coveted job, or any better than LA. The LA job is one of those special place and time opportunities that open up, and I think coaches around the league know that.
I didn't think he'd fall to us if we stayed where we were. I thought Frisco would grab him. I was surprised he fell to Denver.
I do remember Jerry Jones stating that he was pissed he didn't move back up to het him and truly regretted it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Denver is more attractive from a personnel standpoint, however. They don't have a QB, first off, and aren't drafting high enough to get one. Elway will likely make a move to get one, but they have other needs as well.

Where Denver is more attractive than LA is the fact a hot coordinator has a system in place that is successful to support him and get him players. But then again the Rams have the QB, the RB, and some other real nice pieces like Donald and Ogletree, so if they bring in a complementary GM that probably reduces that advantage a little.

Denver is definitely more attractive from a personnel standpoint. They drafted Paxton Lynch last year and have a bridge QB in Siemian. They also have a lot more talent at every level of the team.

They did win the Super Bowl last year. ;)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Because of our investment in Goff, Payton makes sense.

I just don't like draft pick compensation and the Saints haven't really been a feared team for 4yrs. The pick(s) shouldn't be much, IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that if the Payton trade is a possibility, it would have to happen sooner than later.
That said, I saw this question posed elsewhere, if the Rams trade for Payton (or if any other team does for that matter) do they still need to satisfy the Rooney rule?

Montanaramfan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Something about me doesn't like Payton for the job. The last three years he's went right around 8-8 with Drew Brees. Why do we think he could do better with Goff? I realize we have more players on the defensive side of the ball than the Saints do but something about this idea leaves me on edge.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
This just popped up on NFL Network

image.jpeg

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Payton...he's a Super bowl winning offensive genius with head coaching record of 94-65...

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

1st time I think I ever disagree w/ you. I personally think in the NFL circles they view the Denver situation as the best. Better DEF, Elway, QB Lynch(could be viewed better to some) better tradition, better players on the OFF.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1st time I think I ever disagree w/ you. I personally think in the NFL circles they view the Denver situation as the best. Better DEF, Elway, QB Lynch(could be viewed better to some) better tradition, better players on the OFF.

Well, yeah, I admitted in the other post that I had forgotten they had taken Lynch (old age dammit). But for the record I do like Goff much more, and Denver's OL is not in good shape as Elway recently admitted. Elway is the upside for Denver IMO, because a coach will know that he's going to aggressively go after what they need. But I think more gets made of rosters in comparing of jobs than it is in importance, as coaches also look hard at owners and how deep their pockets are, location, etc.

Rams have some really nice pieces but they also have an enormous amount of positives from the owner's deep pockets, to the world class stadium, to the market, to the fact that turning around LA will make a head coach a star. I don't think their personnel are bad enough to counter those things, and believe they are still the top job.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Well, yeah, I admitted in the other post that I had forgotten they had taken Lynch (old age dammit). But for the record I do like Goff much more, and Denver's OL is not in good shape as Elway recently admitted. Elway is the upside for Denver IMO, because a coach will know that he's going to aggressively go after what they need. But I think more gets made of rosters in comparing of jobs than it is in importance, as coaches also look hard at owners and how deep their pockets are, location, etc.

Rams have some really nice pieces but they also have an enormous amount of positives from the owner's deep pockets, to the world class stadium, to the market, to the fact that turning around LA will make a head coach a star. I don't think their personnel are bad enough to counter those things, and believe they are still the top job.
Ya I wrote that before I seen the other post lol :sleepz: