Payton, Shanahan or McDaniels

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I WILL NOT BUDGE

Kyle-Shanahan-Infographic1.jpg
Same here

Montanaramfan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1) I like Kyle Shanahan with his dad as GM.
2) Todd Haley - I know his name hasn't been out there but I like what he's done with Pittsburgh's offense.
3) Nick Saban - I know, wishful thinking.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I dont think we can get Kyle now which sucks. I think he would take the Denver job over LA.
What does Denver really have to work with? Siemian is probably either gone or the back up next season if Shanahan comes in. He likes athletic QBs and Lynch fits his scheme better.

I've heard they might let go of Demaryius Thomas this offseason. Their OLine is about the same as ours. And that defense is good, but did not look as dominate and will be losing some pieces next season. That team is in overhaul mode.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Saints would consider Doug Marrone to replace Asshole Face if trade is made

By Jason La Canfora

[www.cbssports.com]

There remains a very real possibility the Saints trade coach Asshole Face this offseason, and if they do, sources said Jaguars interim coach Doug Marrone would be given serious consideration for the job in New Orelans. Marrone is well thought of there from his stint in New Orelans and clicked with quarterback Drew Brees, and he also has prior head coaching experience with Buffalo.

Marrone will interview for the Jaguars' opening, and it's not inconceivable he ends up getting that position depending on how other candidates interview and what coaches decide to take jobs in other NFL cities.

The Rams are doing their due diligence on Payton, sources say, though the fact they gave up so many draft picks to move up and select Jared Goff first overall could complicate their ability to make the best offer for Payton. The Chargers are another possibility -- going to southern California would appeal to Payton, sources said.

As first reported several weeks ago, Payton and the Saints brass are open to a trade given the right scenario. Trading Payton, one of the NFL's highest-compensated coaches, would save New Orleans roughly $40 million that management could use to add much-needed talent.
Marrone has worked with several of the coaches on that staff, and thus sliding him in could save money and ease the transition if he were willing to retain several top assistants. It's unlikely Payton would be bringing a host of his current staff with him if a trade materializes.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Asshole Face, Los Angeles Rams share a mutual interest

By Ian Rapoport
NFL Media Insider

[www.nfl.com]

Asshole Face's job-related saga has entered Year 2, and speculation over whether he'll leave New Orleans continues to grow. But don't be surprised if it comes to an end fairly quickly.

Multiple sources say there is mutual interest between the Saints coach and the Rams organization. The ball is now in Saints GM Mickey Loomis' court. If he decides he's willing to part with Payton for moderate compensation, Payton would be the clear front-runner to take over for the job opening created by the firing of Jeff Fisher.

Loomis would have to decide if he wants to keep a coach who would prefer to be somewhere else. There has been no contact yet between the Rams and the Saints, who would have to work out a deal to send Payton to Los Angeles. Payton is also owed $40 million by the Saints, and they could decide to let him go because that's an incredible price tag for a coach who last went to the playoffs in 2013 and won a Super Bowl in 2009.

Sources also say the Saints are tiring of Payton's open flirtation with jobs and might be ready to end the era and move on as the team's rebuild is almost complete. Last year, speculation on Payton's future center upon the Rams, Chargers, 49ers and Colts. None of it came to fruition. However, there is a renewed fervor this year.

If they do decide to send Payton to L.A., expect Doug Marrone and Dennis Allen to be among the candidates they would consider for head coach. Both are former head coaches.

The Rams will make a decision on general manager Les Snead's future after they decide who will be their next head coach.

Payton would clearly help with the growth of first-overall pick Jared Goff, a situation that would be mutally beneficial. Goff would get to work with one of the game's best developers and play-callers, while Payton would get a young passer rather than an aging Drew Brees.

There are other candidates the Rams would consider, from Panthers coach Ron Rivera (who might be linked to the Chargers job if it comes open) to coordinators like Vance Joseph, Kyle Shanahan and Josh McDaniels to former head coaches like Mike Smith.

But if Payton can be had from New Orleans, the rest might be moot.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
What does Denver really have to work with? Siemian is probably either gone or the back up next season if Shanahan comes in. He likes athletic QBs and Lynch fits his scheme better.

I've heard they might let go of Demaryius Thomas this offseason. Their OLine is about the same as ours. And that defense is good, but did not look as dominate and will be losing some pieces next season. That team is in overhaul mode.

I think its more of the link to the Denver family from his father coaching there etc. Denver still has a better team than us right now. Hopefully the Vance Joseph rumors are true though so it gives us a chance at him if they think hes our guy.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rumor is that Denver wants Vance Joseph.

Hope the Broncos go that route, he must have impressed Elway last time when they interviewed him two years ago, but I will be shocked if they go in that direction.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My number one choice is McVay. Brilliant young mind, and if he pans out, you have your head coach for the next decade or so.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
If I was a betting man I think Loomis moves us Peyton Monday or Tuesday so they can insure they can get a guy they want. JMHO

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If it's Payton, we're going to be very happy. Tavon and Cooper will benefit most from him, I think. This kind of opens up the draft for us a little bit.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
1. Payton
2. Kyle Shanahan

3T. McDaniels, Haley, McVey

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, Asshole Face and his QB mentoring, SB winning resume would be the way to go as opposed to a first time HC in the LA market. That being said these two up and coming young prospects, Shanahan and Cooter would be very interesting for sure.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
1)Peyton
2) Shanahan
3)Shaw (Since holding out hope)

4)Vaughn
5)McVey

Keep Boy Wonder away from LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think its more of the link to the Denver family from his father coaching there etc. Denver still has a better team than us right now. Hopefully the Vance Joseph rumors are true though so it gives us a chance at him if they think hes our guy.

I don't think Denver is more attractive from a personnel standpoint, however. They don't have a QB, first off, and aren't drafting high enough to get one. Elway will likely make a move to get one, but they have other needs as well.

Where Denver is more attractive than LA is the fact a hot coordinator has a system in place that is successful to support him and get him players. But then again the Rams have the QB, the RB, and some other real nice pieces like Donald and Ogletree, so if they bring in a complementary GM that probably reduces that advantage a little.