Payton apparently not going anywhere

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Do you want to take a minute to address the rumors of mutual interest between yourself and the Los Angeles Rams?
“Here’s the thing. I was reading the comments players made and I was real fired up, because what they said is the same thing our organization has said, which is correct. We’re not going to address rumors, reports. If we answer to those every time, it would be silly and so I didn’t answer it yesterday and I won’t answer it on this conference call, because I’ve already read Larry’s (Holder) report for instance about Mickey (Loomis) and I meeting, which was completely false. Mickey and I for the last 11 years, share the same locker room after every game. We come in, we have a Gatorade and the first thing I ask Mickey every game (for example) is was the (Coby) Fleener catch…did he hold on to it? Was the overturn (of the call correct)? Then we get a cheeseburger and then we get on the plane. But if I’m going to answer questions to a report like that which is inaccurate like that, then we’ll only just be churning the rumor mill. I won’t and that’s just the way it is and it’s tough”

Don’t you think you are speaking for the players, fans?
“You don’t speak for the fans. You think you do, but you don’t. The fans actually get tired of reports like that that aren’t accurate. Do we have any other questions about the game we played last night or the end of the season?”

You referenced yourself as being fired up about the locker room; did you convey anything to them about any of these reports or your feelings about that?
“All I am saying to you is, at the end of the day philosophically, and Mickey (Loomis) and I talked about this before, but I was excited to hear the response of our veteran players to the same questions you are asking me. Those were spit out sources, clear up the story that you claim to have and then we will answer the question. Otherwise, we are not going to answer questions every week based on someone else’s twitter scoop. It’s silly. I know the Saints took that position. I know Greg (Bensel) was asked last week. I saw and listened to the players’ response and mine are the same. It’s hard when some of them – I brought specifically up a couple that are completely inaccurate. There is no accountability there. For instance, (the story said) Mickey (Loomis) and I met for an hour after the game last night. That is completely false. Why would we answer questions about stories that way when they are not accurate to begin with?”

http://sportsnola.com/sean-payton-addresses-rams-rumors-states-intent-stay-saints-wwl-radio-show/

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I scratched him off my list yesterday. It's a shame, but there are several guys for the Rams to choose from who might be the next Asshole Face. They just gotta get it right.

I'm all in on McVay, but as long as it's an offensive guy I'm gonna be good with it. For this team right now, this moment in time, that is what we need.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno if he is or isn't available.

I do know that based on how I assess patterns that Asshole Face is by far the best HC candidate for this team.

It's not close. I included a lot of factors

I am HIGHLY encouraged that the Rams are interviewing Matt Patricia. I didn't think that would happen. He's a former OL coach that's currently the DC, so he's coached both sides.

TexasRam

Legend
Patricia only under the condition that he brings in a big time pass game offensive to maximize Goff's talents.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Was McCoy from the Chargers a good OC?

I think hes highly regarded for making Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow look like good QBs in Denver when he was the OC.

After the 2008 season, Mike McCoy was hired to be the new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the Denver Broncos.[9] In 2009, then-Broncos QB Kyle Orton enjoyed a career year under McCoy, posting career highs in virtually every passing category. The following year, the Broncos passing attack ranked seventh in the NFL, and Orton ranked fourth in the league in passing yards per game. McCoy revamped the Broncos offense in 2011 to accommodate Tim Tebow's skill-set, and the Broncos led the NFL in rushing.[10]

Link from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McCoy_(American_football_coach)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Do you want to take a minute to address the rumors of mutual interest between yourself and the Los Angeles Rams?
“Here’s the thing. I was reading the comments players made and I was real fired up, because what they said is the same thing our organization has said, which is correct. We’re not going to address rumors, reports. If we answer to those every time, it would be silly and so I didn’t answer it yesterday and I won’t answer it on this conference call, because I’ve already read Larry’s (Holder) report for instance about Mickey (Loomis) and I meeting, which was completely false. Mickey and I for the last 11 years, share the same locker room after every game. We come in, we have a Gatorade and the first thing I ask Mickey every game (for example) is was the (Coby) Fleener catch…did he hold on to it? Was the overturn (of the call correct)? Then we get a cheeseburger and then we get on the plane. But if I’m going to answer questions to a report like that which is inaccurate like that, then we’ll only just be churning the rumor mill. I won’t and that’s just the way it is and it’s tough”

Don’t you think you are speaking for the players, fans?
“You don’t speak for the fans. You think you do, but you don’t. The fans actually get tired of reports like that that aren’t accurate. Do we have any other questions about the game we played last night or the end of the season?”

You referenced yourself as being fired up about the locker room; did you convey anything to them about any of these reports or your feelings about that?
“All I am saying to you is, at the end of the day philosophically, and Mickey (Loomis) and I talked about this before, but I was excited to hear the response of our veteran players to the same questions you are asking me. Those were spit out sources, clear up the story that you claim to have and then we will answer the question. Otherwise, we are not going to answer questions every week based on someone else’s twitter scoop. It’s silly. I know the Saints took that position. I know Greg (Bensel) was asked last week. I saw and listened to the players’ response and mine are the same. It’s hard when some of them – I brought specifically up a couple that are completely inaccurate. There is no accountability there. For instance, (the story said) Mickey (Loomis) and I met for an hour after the game last night. That is completely false. Why would we answer questions about stories that way when they are not accurate to begin with?”

http://sportsnola.com/sean-payton-addresses-rams-rumors-states-intent-stay-saints-wwl-radio-show/

I'm kinda glad he beat up some of the "media" about the rumors.

Good for him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Tim Tebow look like good QBs in Denver

Ummm, Jesus couldn't make Tebow look like a good QB. He could teach him how to make fishes out of thin air, and walk on water, and come back from the dead. But a good QB? Nope.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Still say if Tebow had switched to TE that he'd have become a pro bowl player...

EasyE

Starter
Ummm, Jesus couldn't make Tebow look like a good QB. He could teach him how to make fishes out of thin air, and walk on water, and come back from the dead. But a good QB? Nope.

But he was and still is a winner.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I honestly wouldn't care if were 8-8 every season, if we scored 49 points a game like the Saints do.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I'm still holding out hope for Payton. To me, of course he's going to deny the rumors to save face for his players, what else would he say?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I honestly wouldn't care if were 8-8 every season, if we scored 49 points a game like the Saints do.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Nothing about these responses give me the definite "NO." As some have mentioned, he will not tip his hand so early in the off-season. I do think if we were to target Payton, it would be done rather soon, but I think we are going to take our sweet time making a HC decision.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I disagree with this POV.
If i had the choice between an 8-8 team that can't stop anybody vs an 8-8 team that can't score...give me the better defensive team. I don't respect bad defensive teams.

To each his own.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I didn't think it was Payton's decision. But what is he going to say anyway? He doesn't know. If they interviewed Mickey Loomis he is going to say Payton is staying too. If he said otherwise, and no trade developed, then he would have a disgruntled coach that feels like he isn't wanted.

The media is just stupid or internet nationally annoying.

tbux

Rookie
Why does everyone think Payton is the best HC candidate out there? They have gone 7-9 the last 3 years in a row now- and that is with one of the best QBs in NFL history!! sorry to me he obviously has his faults. I rather go another direction myself.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Patricia only under the condition that he brings in a big time pass game offensive to maximize Goff's talents.
If he smart (should be since he is a rocket science ), he will probably want a coordinator that runs the EP offense.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I think hes highly regarded for making Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow look like good QBs in Denver when he was the OC.

After the 2008 season, Mike McCoy was hired to be the new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the Denver Broncos.[9] In 2009, then-Broncos QB Kyle Orton enjoyed a career year under McCoy, posting career highs in virtually every passing category. The following year, the Broncos passing attack ranked seventh in the NFL, and Orton ranked fourth in the league in passing yards per game. McCoy revamped the Broncos offense in 2011 to accommodate Tim Tebow's skill-set, and the Broncos led the NFL in rushing.[10]

Link from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McCoy_(American_football_coach)
What kind of offensive system does he run?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What kind of offensive system does he run?

He ran the Erhardt-Perkins offense in San Diego. He also has experience with the West Coast offense (worked under George Seifert when he was young). With Tebow, he ran basically a college spread with an E-P base (my best guess).

My guess is that he'd run an E-P offense here but craft it around Goff's strengths.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I'm all in on McVay
He is my second choice behind Shanahan.I like the idea of hiring a young
mind and then letting him develop his HC skills.In other words
Let him and Goff,Gurley grow together.I can't nail down why exactly
it's appealing to me.It just feels like the right way to go.