Paxton Lynch's Pro Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
As long as his head is right and smarter than I originally gave him credit for. He has the talent :shades::banana::heh:it's the upstairs I have always been concerned with
:mrburnsevil:Exactly....if he can process the information...quickly. Looks like a keeper to me.....(y);):yess:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Am watching nfl live and mark brunell said he believes lynch needs to sit for a year or even a year and a half to be ready. Now i have no idea how good brunell is in breaking down qb prospects but that was his view.

That's the accepted take on him, the estimate is that he's gonna need a redshirt year. But that's not what's important IMO. Rams have to load more talent onto the roster at that position plain and simple. If it requires eating a redshirt season? So be it. Stick him 3 on the depth chart with a clipboard behind Keenum/Mannion and a lot more talent to throw to.

The guy is a basketball point guard type talent. He's a freak. If the Rams stay at 15 and he's there, they gotta take him IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After reading the NFL.com article on Lynch's Pro Day, I have a STRONG feeling that he's the Rams pick. The article talked about two GMs who needed a QB raving about Lynch's upside and that sounded exactly like a thing Snead and Fisher would do. They tend to draft high upside players in Round 1, even if they're a bit raw.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if we cant negotiate a trade up and Paxton is there at 15 I think we take him ....but what's the chances of all the top 3 QBs being off the board by 15 ?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Would any of you draft Kerry Collins in the first rd? That's as good as Lynch will ever have a chance to be IMO, and it scares me that Collins played for Fisher in Tennessee.
Don't do it Fish....

Shawnbb158

Starter
if we cant negotiate a trade up and Paxton is there at 15 I think we take him ....but what's the chances of all the top 3 QBs being off the board by 15 ?

With the report out about the eagles wanting to do what they can to get wentz I think it will be hard for Lynch to still be there at 15.... So I hope to God we don't do something stupid like take Connor cook at 15 :sick::puke::headexplosion:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would any of you draft Kerry Collins in the first rd? That's as good as Lynch will ever have a chance to be IMO, and it scares me that Collins played for Fisher in Tennessee.
Don't do it Fish....
Kerry Collins with Lynch's wheels? I'm not so sure that isn't a good combo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After reading the NFL.com article on Lynch's Pro Day, I have a STRONG feeling that he's the Rams pick. The article talked about two GMs who needed a QB raving about Lynch's upside and that sounded exactly like a thing Snead and Fisher would do. They tend to draft high upside players in Round 1, even if they're a bit raw.
I'm pretty convinced that after his pro day he'll be drafted before pick #15

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I said for awhile that all three could be gone by #6. One possibility...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Don't do it Fish....
Kerry Collins with a better arm and mobility? Yeah I'd take him.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Osweiler was liked by a lot of scouts coming out of Arizona state, only difference is he came out with Andrew Luck, Rg3, Tannehill, Weeden, and Russell Wilson. Lynch is #3 because this is not the greatest QB class in recent years. I know we all want a good QB because it has been way to long, but im just not sure about this guy. Not to hate on him just something tells me he needs time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Guess that means the Rams will have to trade up.
At least we won't have far to go....;)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-draft-range-rams-broncos-cowboys-among-fits

Today's subject: Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch

CEILING: Top half of the first round -- San Francisco 49ers (No. 7 overall), Philadelphia Eagles (No. 8), Chicago Bears (No. 11), Los Angeles Rams (No. 15).

FLOOR: Low first round/early second round -- Arizona Cardinals (No. 29), Denver Broncos (No. 31),Dallas Cowboys (No. 34), San Diego Chargers (No. 35).

LYNCH'S PRO DAY: April 6.

What I like
Lynch is an athletic dual-threat playmaker with exceptional size, movement skills and arm talent. It is hard to find a 6-foot-7, 244-pounder capable of executing the zone read and quarterback power while also possessing the ability to throw fastballs to the perimeter from the pocket or on the move. That's why scouts have been salivating over Lynch's potential as a franchise quarterback since he burst onto the national scene with a spectacular performance (39 of 53 for 384 yards with three touchdowns and a pick) in the Tigers' 37-24 win over Ole Miss last October. Lynch has all of the physical tools to shine in any offense, but it is his combination of arm talent and athleticism that has piqued the interest of creative offensive minds. Play designers with extensive experience melding RPOs (run-pass options), sprint-out passes, bootlegs and traditional concepts could view Lynch as the ultimate prospect to develop as a franchise quarterback. Although he is far from a finished product as a dropback passer and lacks extensive reps taking the ball from under center, Lynch could quickly master those maneuvers and become a deadly playmaker from the pocket.

Studying the All-22 coaches tape, Lynch's arm talent is intoxicating. It is hard to find a passer capable of delivering the ball with more zip and velocity -- to every area of the field -- as effortlessly as Lynch. He fires the ball to the boundary from the opposite hash on a rope. The combination of ball speed and placement makes his passes nearly impossible for defenders to catch despite terrific anticipation or timing. Thus, Lynch could develop into an exceptional tight-window passer at the next level when he understands his limitations as a gunslinger.

Why the range?

Despite Lynch's immense potential as a franchise quarterback, there are plenty of concerns surrounding the Memphis standout. He entered the NFL early, after his redshirt junior season, and will need some time to acclimate to the speed and tempo of the pro game. In addition, Lynch spent his college days in a spread offense that prominently featured RPOs, bubble screens and quick routes. Thus, he hasn't been exposed to complex passing concepts (full-field reads or pure-progression passes) and his lack of experience with those tactics could make it tough for him to get onto the field -- unless a coach is willing to use part of Memphis' offensive system in the basic game plan.

The lack of elite competition is also a concern for scouts evaluating Lynch. The Tigers played in the American Athletic Conference, and last season, Lynch faltered in the team's three biggest conference games (Navy, Houston and Temple) down the stretch. Most importantly, he struggled mightily against Auburn in a Birmingham Bowl performance (16 of 37 for 106 yards and an interception) that exposed his flaws as a playmaker on a big stage. Although Lynch's supporters point to the circumstances affecting his play -- Memphis head coach Justin Fuente accepted a job at Virginia Tech and didn't coach the bowl game -- the fact that Lynch didn't perform well in a series of big games raises some concern over his ability to lead his team to the winner's circle.

Where would he excel?

It is important for any team considering Lynch as a franchise quarterback to entertain the possibility of blending some of the RPO concepts and lay-ups (bubble screens and quicks) into the game plan, to help him find his footing as a young playmaker. In addition, I believe a team with a strong running game and a diverse, complementary play-action passing attack would be a great fit for Lynch, based on his inexperience as a traditional dropback passer. Thus, teams like Denver and Los Angeles strike me as ideal environments for Lynch to grow into a franchise guy. The Broncos, in particular, have a structure in place (strong running game and dominant defense) to help Lynch slowly develop as a playmaker. He could lean on the C.J. Anderson-led ground attack, thus allowing him to throw high-percentage passes off run-action plays on various flood concepts and half-field reads. Also, Lynch could focus on learning how to manage the game with a nasty defense that's capable of holding the score down.

The Rams offer Lynch a terrific opportunity to play alongside a pair of electric talents (Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin). Moreover, he would play for a coach (Jeff Fisher) who is comfortable featuring an athletic quarterback. Fisher enjoyed success with Steve McNair and Vince Young at the helm in Tennessee; he could take advantage of Lynch's running skills and mobility as a complement to the Rams' hard-hitting rushing attack. In addition, he would give the Rams a young, dynamic quarterback to build around for the foreseeable future.

The Cowboys and Chargers also would qualify as good landing spots for Lynch, based on the presence of a veteran quarterback and experienced quarterback teachers. Each team needs to identify a young signal caller to develop for a prominent role down the road; Lynch could be an intriguing prospect to groom.

there's this:notsure:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/04/draft-pff-scouting-report-paxton-lynch-qb-memphis/
PFF SCOUTING REPORT: PAXTON LYNCH, QB, MEMPHIS
Steve Palazzolo and the PFF draft analysts break down the play of Memphis' Paxton Lynch ahead of the 2016 NFL draft.

PFF ANALYSIS TEAM
AP27641590072.jpg

(AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)

Below is the PFF draft profile for Memphis’ Paxton Lynch, which incorporates PFF’s college grades and scouting intel from our team of analysts. To see all of PFF’s 2016 scouting reports, click here.

Position fit: Starting QB

Stats to Know: Graded at +30.5 overall in 2015, good for 12th in the nation after a +17.0 finish in 2014 that ranked 21st

What he does best:
— Quick setup and release in the pocket — rare for a QB of his size
— Can use the quick release on run/pass option plays. Gives offense some flexibility
— Threw only three passes beyond 40 yards in the air, but two of them were perfect, on-target strikes on deep posts. May be able to take advantage of the post route against one-on-one coverage at the next level
— Very good touch, had a number of impressive “bucket” throws
— Is athletic for his size, though unlikely he’s a major running threat in the NFL. Has enough to keep the ball on zone read, however
— Shows enough zip to fit passes into tight windows against zone coverage
— Made a few “wow” throws at intermediate and deep levels with perfect accuracy
— Worked back to his second read and completed passes with accuracy
— Keeps his eyes up when on the move, looking to throw from outside the pocket
— Has improved every year since high school

Biggest concern:
— Accuracy seems to wane when he tries to throw with velocity at the short and intermediate level
— Accuracy at the intermediate level and outside the numbers was poor (49.0 percent accuracy percentage, among the lowest in the nation)
— Average accuracy between 21 and 40 yards
— A high percentage of his throws were either screens or designed rollouts
— Generally a good decision maker, but did have a few throws in which he failed to see an underneath zone defender
— Had a lot of wide open throws on coverage busts
— Missed on quite a few back shoulder throws. May have issues beating tight man coverage on the outside
— Has some ugly throws very late in the progression, either poor decisions throwing into coverage or inaccuracy
— Inconsistent when throwing on the run
— Hits lulls where his accuracy is all over the place

Bottom line:

There’s a lot to like about Lynch’s game, especially given his continued development since high school. He throws accurately to the intermediate level, but coming out of a quirky system that featured a high number of screens and rollouts, there’s some projection to Lynch’s game as a 30-plus dropback passer at the next level. He’s solid across the board in many areas, and he has a skillset to build around at the next level, though he’s a step below some of the other QBs in the class.
:popcorn:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Paxton Lynch's scouting report reads a lot like Joe Flacco's when he came out.

I get that he'll need some seasoning, but Flacco started 16 games as a rookie.

I think it's wrong to paint these guys into a box what they can and can't do. The Rams can set up a guy like Lynch for success with the running game and their self proclaimed simplified passing game.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kerry Collins with a better arm and mobility? Yeah I'd take him.

Don't forget without the alcohol issues too (hopefully).

A stable Kerry Collins who can run is a guy who can take teams to the Super Bowl.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guess that means the Rams will have to trade up.
If they cant get Goff or Wentz, I'd say its worth it. I don't buy the needs a year on the bench stuff. If the kid could progress between combine and pro day like he has, I cant imagine how fast he could grow working with a specific team/coaching staff who's focus is entirely on him.
And his focus entirely on improving.
Yeah, His pro day really impressed me

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think it's wrong to paint these guys into a box what they can and can't do. The Rams can set up a guy like Lynch for success with the running game and their self proclaimed simplified passing game.
I think it's pretty important to analyze what these guys can do well and what they struggle with as it relates to the kind of offense the Rams run. This is the first year (after over a decade off) that I really looked at guys in this draft to try and envision how they'd perform on this team. It's only been a handful of players (positions of need), but I've been much more involved this year. I kind of disagree that we can set him up for success, just based off of the kind of offense we run and the support around the position.

Lynch is at his best when he can set his feet at the end of his drop. He looks like a star in this league when that happens, but so does everyone. If he has no pressure, and is able to get a quick read, then he can deliver beautiful throws in stride. But I think Connor Cook is better at this. Goff even moreso, but it's close, IMO. Lynch has the stronger arm, but his delivery gets in the way at times. Another guy who looks great when conditions are ripe is Cody Kessler. This isn't something I care much about, because there's no clear separation between QBs when conditions are perfect. All of our current QBs can look good in perfect situations as well. It's just not something we can count on consistently.

Throwing without having feet set is something I'd look at if you're wanting a QB in this offense. Throwing in a hurry, throwing off the back foot, etc. It's not a luxury Rams QBs have on a consistent basis unless or until the O-line is solidified and playing together for long stretches. Goff is ridiculously good at this. Lynch is also good, but so is Cook and so is Dak Prescott. And ... Keenum.

Throwing on the run (designed roll-outs, forced out of the pocket) is something I also let weigh heavily on how I view QBs - especially if it means throwing across the field or into the middle of the field from one side (a staple in Boras' offense). Cardale Jones, I think, is the most efficient at this. Cook, Goff, Wentz, and (now that I'm looking closer) Bercovici are all just as adept at this as Lynch. As is Keenum.

Play-action / play-fakes. This is something that should be the most important consideration in evaluating a QB for this offense. And wow does Bercovici sell these hard. I almost feel like I'm talking myself into this guy just because someone pointed me in his direction, but I honestly started looking at him to try and discredit the notion that he should be in consideration. I can't. He's great at it. We won't be doing much (if any) zone-read play fakes, but I would incorporate them in this offense and draft that guy just for how ridiculously he sells them. Lynch, Cook, Goff, all look to be about the same in this regard, and not appreciably better than Keenum.

Pocket presence, manipulating the pocket, keeping his eyes downfield - Goff and Lynch are good at this, but so is Kessler and Bercovici. Cook kind of drops off for me in this area because he's too overconfident in his own ability to make every throw without wanting to try and buy extra time. But that's understandable because he got wrecked at times when he was willing to let plays develop. That's a concern, because things get cluttered quickly in the NFL - and especially against the NFCW. That said, it's a concern for every QB if it happens enough. Bradford became very tentative in the pocket after a couple of years due to these things. Other QBs in this draft were protected by scheme, so we don't know how they'll react to it.

So the question for me now becomes, which QB in this draft could I envision on this team doing the things we'd need him to do. It's my opinion that we need a guy who can hit the deep ball off of play-action and can make throws on the run because he's been flushed out of the pocket or we're moving the pocket for him. If I take all of those scenarios and package them as one trait, then I have 6 choices. Cook, Kessler, Bercovici, Lynch, Jones and Goff.

So the TL;DR version is this. I wouldn't move one spot in the draft for a QB, and I wouldn't give up one draft pick to do it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Being a Buckeye fan I have seen plenty of Jones and IMO what would serve him well is if he gets drafted by a team that has a QB guru as a Head Coach, so with that being posted best places he could land:
  1. New Orleans
  2. Miami

If Jones couldn't run Meyer's simple offense then how will he ever run one in the NFL?

Am watching nfl live and mark brunell said he believes lynch needs to sit for a year or even a year and a half to be ready. Now i have no idea how good brunell is in breaking down qb prospects but that was his view.

Most say that but if the Rams take him who cares? It isn't likely that the move year is going to be a great one anyway.

Everyone remember Johnny Manziels "amazing" pro day? and how bad Teddy Bridgewater did at his pro day? enough said, we wont really know how this guy acts under pressure until he faces a NFL defense .

Of the Top three QBs in the draft, many think that Lynch is better when pressured.

Don't do it Fish....

That is the first that I have seen that comparison. That is a tough one to call. Lynch did not play in a pro style offense and he has had some accuracy issues like Collins but I am not sure how you say they are that similar. Closer to Flacco in college.

Accuracy at the intermediate level and outside the numbers was poor (49.0 percent accuracy percentage, among the lowest in the nation)
— Average accuracy between 21 and 40 yards

This is one of the bigger concerns with Lynch. However, many feel that improved footwork will correct these issues. Ditto for Hackenberg. His footwork in the gun was atrocious and that is where most of his errant throws came from.