Paxton Lynch's Pro Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/id/15149435/paxton-lynch-flashes-arm-strength-windy-pro-day

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- On an overcast, blustery day, Paxton Lynch did his best to show off both his strong arm and leadership skills to NFL scouts Wednesday at Memphis' pro day.

Lynch is projected as a possible first-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft, and he completed 57 of 69 passes before approximately 25 scouts at Memphis' practice field. With winds hovering around 25 mph, the workout was moved up about an hour to avoid possible thunderstorms.

Lynch said he thought he did well in the windy conditions.

"I saw it as a challenge," Lynch said. "I kind of got a chance to come out and show my arm off."

Arm strength is not the question for the 6-foot-7 Lynch, who entered the draft after his junior season. He completed 63 percent of passes for 8,863 yards in his career. But he ran a spread offense for the Tigers, so questions about his footwork when dropping back to pass are a concern for NFL teams.

Lynch is considered possibly the No. 3 quarterback available behind Carson Wentz of North Dakota State and Jared Goff of California.

Lynch threw an array of carefully scripted passes -- short out routes, screens, crossing patterns -- with good success. Conditions sometimes made longer routes more of a challenge.

At one point after sailing a ball past a receiver, Lynch patted himself on the chest and said, "That's on me."

On other long throws, he showed a nice touch.

"There were a couple of times, I was just a little off," Lynch said. "But most of (the throws) I was really happy with the placement of them."

His agent Leigh Steinberg described his client's performance as "pretty spectacular."

"Our theme was shock and awe," Steinberg said. "In the midst of a heavy wind, he came out and was incredibly effective."

After about 35 minutes, several people, including former Tennessee Titans coach and current San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, asked Lynch to throw specific routes.

Lynch's receivers were mostly Memphis teammates, including Tevin Jones, Mose Frazier and Alan Cross. Lynch said it was nice to have familiar receivers around, while giving them a chance to showcase their skills for scouts

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks pretty good, fellas.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Damn! I'd say he knocked it out of the freakin' park!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I thought he looked real good. Hard to tell from that and compare it to under center with a rush coming but I thought he looked like he can make most of the throws both with touch and on the move. If he is there at 15, I'd say we could do worse.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He floated a lot of balls, but he had no problem with any throw. How can you not like that at 15? Him sitting for half a year or even the full year sounds great to me. He'd have Gurley, Tavon and the D to lean on. Also would have both 2nds and the rest of the draft to fill out the roster. Also, let's not forget the UDFA hauls Snisher has brought in. Next year you probably get a Comp pick in the 3rd and 4/5th for Jenkins and McLeod leaving in FA.
I think Lynch makes a ton of sense and would love a top 3 pick of Lynch, Martin and Boyd. I really like how this Draft is shaping up for the Rams. Tons of options and 3 viable QBs on the surface of this Draft.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
QB pro days are so overrated, so lets not put too much stock into it. We don't get to see the important stuff like character and the understanding of NFL concepts. If he checks those boxes I have no problem with the Rams taking him,

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He floated a lot of balls, but he had no problem with any throw. How can you not like that at 15? Him sitting for half a year or even the full year sounds great to me. He'd have Gurley, Tavon and the D to lean on. Also would have both 2nds and the rest of the draft to fill out the roster. Also, let's not forget the UDFA hauls Snisher has brought in. Next year you probably get a Comp pick in the 3rd and 4/5th for Jenkins and McLeod leaving in FA.
I think Lynch makes a ton of sense and would love a top 3 pick of Lynch, Martin and Boyd. I really like how this Draft is shaping up for the Rams. Tons of options and 3 viable QBs on the surface of this Draft.
The scouts wanted to see him change speeds, and levels, and there was a pretty strong swirling wind. Now, that said, he threw one 70 yards in the air. He has the best arm out of the top 3, and I really don't think it's close.

What I saw from the combine, much improved footwork. Much improved. His day was scripted to show his big arm though, and it surely did.

When this process started, I said there's a lot to like, and a lot to work with. I've seen improvement with his mechanics, but yes, when the bullets are flying, things can change. I like him, I'd take him at 15, but not sure he'd be there. I think guys are under mocking him, currently.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Takes unnecessary steps... sinks his hips so his release point is of a shorter QB... slow release... in shorts, agains air... huge red flags at 15.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
The scouts wanted to see him change speeds, and levels, and there was a pretty strong swirling wind. Now, that said, he threw one 70 yards in the air. He has the best arm out of the top 3, and I really don't think it's close.

What I saw from the combine, much improved footwork. Much improved. His day was scripted to show his big arm though, and it surely did.

When this process started, I said there's a lot to like, and a lot to work with. I've seen improvement with his mechanics, but yes, when the bullets are flying, things can change. I like him, I'd take him at 15, but not sure he'd be there. I think guys are under mocking him, currently.
His footwork definitely looked improved and that arm was as advertised! I can't believe some were questioning his arm strength. The sad part is we may have to trade up to get him or Goff/Wentz now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Takes unnecessary steps... sinks his hips so his release point is of a shorter QB... slow release... in shorts, agains air... huge red flags at 15.
The steps were simulating avoiding the rush. Disagree on the slow release. One last note, against wind, not air.:sneaky:

He's still the #3 guy.

Off your board, or where do you rate him?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
His footwork definitely looked improved and that arm was as advertised! I can't believe some were questioning his arm strength. The sad part is we may have to trade up to get him or Goff/Wentz now.

Yes they need to get to six and then take Goff or Lynch and in fact, Lynch might be the only left at 6.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The steps were simulating avoiding the rush. Disagree on the slow release. One last note, against wind, not air.:sneaky:

He's still the #3 guy.

Off your board, or where do you rate him?

Against wind. Lol! Yeah, he's still the number 3. But that doesn't mean we need to draft him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Against wind. Lol! Yeah, he's still the number 3. But that doesn't mean we need to draft him.
Yes according to the video they were recording up to 25mph winds he was throwing into.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams are reported to have had a private workout with Lynch.

Shawnbb158

Starter
I'm coming around... As long as his head is right and smarter than I originally gave him credit for. He has the talent it's the upstairs I have always been concerned with

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

Thank you. All 3 have seriously 1 to 3 year talent. Be happy with any of them at 15. Also As a fall back C jones over anyone in the next tier.