Paxton Lynch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Deserves his own thread.

Finally got around to just watching some highlights to get a taste of what he'd offer...

- Bullet Arm. Easy delivery with real zip. I've seen comparisons to Flacco. I think he has, at least, equal zip on the ball. Maybe more.

- Above average pocket mobility. 13 TDs as a runner in 2013. Perfect for 3rd and short, 4th and 1 sneaks that Brady seriously.......always fucking gets.

- Kept eyes downfield while scrambling in the pocket a handful of times.

- Legit NFL size.

- Improved each year in accuracy, yards, TD/INT ratio, yards/attempt.

- Comes from a run heavy O. 257 passing attempts vs. 455 rushing attempts. That's a 36/64 split in favor of the run.

- Can you say perfect for a run team and PA with that arm?

-----

I'm now dead set on at least two QBs this year. We simply MUST have the best 1 or 2 QB in this class. I need to look at Cook, but Goff and Lynch are the guys so far.

I'd give at least a future one and a future 3rd to move up. Probably will require more, but...

It is just so plainly obvious that it's the QB that wins games. I just wanna WIN games again. 10 wins... I'll worry about playoffs later, but 10 win seasons, 11 win seasons, mixed in a playoff or two.

The Packers, the Cheatriots, etc.....spoiled bitches.

Look at the teams leading their divisions:

1. Patsies - Brady
2. Bengals - Dalton
3. Colts - Luck (tho injured)
4. Broncos - Manning
5. Giants - Eli
6. Vikings - Teddy
7. Panthers - Newton
8. Cardinals - Palmer

Only one team really doesn't have a legit QB, Broncos, and that's only because Manning is old and looking older. One has an eh rookie, but one that isn't making a ton of mistakes. The others you're scared will torch your D on a given day.

Damn near every team in the playoff picture has a QB. Hell, even the Bills have a QB in Taylor who's just game-managing at an incredibly high level by completing 70% of his passes with 11TDs/4INTS with 243 yards on the ground and two scores.

Hell, journeyman game-manager Fitzpatrick has the Jets scoring 24/game.

And us? Trash.

Do what it takes to get the QB of the future. I'm not sold on Mannion. Outside of that Brandin Cooks goes off year... pedestrian numbers.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I want Lynch more than any quarterback in this class. Yes, even Goff. I see him, and I think Roethlisberger with a conscience and more mobility.

FRO

Legend
Lynch will go first due to size and scrambling ability. Goff does the little things in the pocket that really translate. I'm fine with either too, I just see Lynch going in the top 3 and out of our trade up range. I covet Goff. Will look more into Wentz. I'm off the Cook bandwagon.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Lynch will be there for us. I do have to disagree on his arm. It's good but not Flacco good. Doesn't have the same oomph on the sideline routes. But he's a much better athlete than Flacco. I think he'll clock in the 4.55 to 4.65 range in the 40. He's a pass first guy that doesn't use his mobility unless he has to but when he does run, you can see how fast he is. More of a long-strider as a runner, though.

Cook gets a lot of hate but I think people are evaluating him based on what he is without considering what he can be. People tend to fall into that trap a lot. They did the same things with Blake Bortles and Cam Newton.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't think Lynch will be there for us. I do have to disagree on his arm. It's good but not Flacco good. Doesn't have the same oomph on the sideline routes. But he's a much better athlete than Flacco. I think he'll clock in the 4.55 to 4.65 range in the 40. He's a pass first guy that doesn't use his mobility unless he has to but when he does run, you can see how fast he is. More of a long-strider as a runner, though.

Cook gets a lot of hate but I think people are evaluating him based on what he is without considering what he can be. People tend to fall into that trap a lot. They did the same things with Blake Bortles and Cam Newton.

Blake Bortles and Cam Newton weren't three year starting seniors like Cook. His ceiling is Jay Cutler, but less potential than Cutler had coming out. That's how I feel about Cook. I think we can do a lot better than that. I think that Lynch or Goff become available based on talent on other positions going with higher picks. Let's go with one of them. Get a real franchise quarterback in here for once.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blake Bortles and Cam Newton weren't three year starting seniors like Cook. His ceiling is Jay Cutler, but less potential than Cutler had coming out. That's how I feel about Cook. I think we can do a lot better than that. I think that Lynch or Goff become available based on talent on other positions going with higher picks. Let's go with one of them. Get a real franchise quarterback in here for once.

Irrelevant. Jay Cutler was. So was Carson Palmer. So was Eli Manning. There are few colleges with the resources and coaches to fix those sort of issues. Cook has the ability to be Eli Manning good.

You're doing exactly what I said was the problem. You're not considering Cook's ability to grow. When evaluating a QB's ability to grow, you have to find his flaws and determine whether they are fixable or not.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
BTW Lynch already has his own thread.

Mayock said he reminds him of Flacco. I think he is more mobile and fluid than Flacco. Agree with Jrry. He is the main man IMO but I doubt anyone is going to let the Rams trade up for him. This would be a great year for the Rams to go 4-12. Give them a chance to move up higher for a trade.

Consistent playoff teams have good QBs that offer something either throwing, running or both.

FRO

Legend

The problem I have with Cook is the lack of progression from his sophomore year to his senior year. I was a Cook guy his sophomore year. He just hasn't progressed and numbers wise his completion percentage has gotten worse every year. He has talent, but he is still inconsistent. That being said because of his size and coming from a pro offense I wouldn't be surprised if a team picked him over Goff. Goff may slip in the offseason stuff. I hope he slips right to us.

Another point, if we draft a rookie QB, we must hire an offensive minded HC. I think, and I have zero basis to back this up, that having Spags develop Bradford was a ginormous detriment. Spags was ultra conservative and seemed to pass it on to his young QB. If we had an offensive guy developing Sam to forget about the turnovers right now and push the ball down field he would be a lot better. That's total speculation on my part. Plus being in different offenses every year stunts growth in a young QB. Right now I'm leaning towards Gase.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem I have with Cook is the lack of progression from his sophomore year to his senior year. I was a Cook guy his sophomore year. He just hasn't progressed and numbers wise his completion percentage has gotten worse every year.

Cook has progressed a lot since his sophomore year.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So we either lose out for Lynch or Goff or we roll the die on Cook?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His completion percentage has gone down every year.

Awesome. Who cares? Are you saying that stat measures progression? Because the same thing happened to Matt Ryan and Drew Brees. And Eli Manning's best completion% in college came as a sophomore.

Stel

Starter
Okay. I agree. I want to draft a QB who never completed 60% of his passes and has seen his completion percentage steadily decline. History tells us that those QBs all become NFL studs.

And the three you mention all completed a higher percentage of their college passes than Cook, and only Manning had a year worse than Cook's best year. Cook may become a good NFL QB but I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watched Lynch today for the 3rd time and have no clue as to what people see in him.
To me he looks like a right handed Tim Tebow. Just not anywhere as good

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
No way Goff gets by the whiners.
The way they were using Kap, it looks like they want a pure pocket passers.

FRO

Legend
Goff is the crown jewel at QB in this draft. I would offer my first, both seconds this year, and a first next year to get him. Over pay, but he good.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Goff is the crown jewel at QB in this draft. I would offer my first, both seconds this year, and a first next year to get him. Over pay, but he good.

Haven't seen much of him, but I did watch a Memphis game one day. Lynch is my guy.