Paul Boudreau Works Out Rob Havenstein at Wisconsin’s Pro Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams O-Line coach Paul Boudreau puts Rob Havenstein through a workout during Wisconsin’s Pro Day in March. The Ex-Badger and Rams 2nd round pick looks to continue school’s O-Line tradition in NFL. He talks about his talking to former Badger O-linemen who are current NFL players, plus more.

Watch Havenstein's Pro Day Highlights

Limey

Rookie
It's reassuring to know that Boudreau got a good look at him at his Pro Day as well as at the Senior Bowl. Coach must be satisfied that Havenstein has the ingredients that he is looking for.

jap

Legend
It's reassuring to know that Boudreau got a good look at him at his Pro Day as well as at the Senior Bowl. Coach must be satisfied that Havenstein has the ingredients that he is looking for.

Where OL picks are concerned, I'm pretty sure Coach Bou gets eyefulls of anyone they are considering drafting.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Needs some polishing, but the best thing about this kid is that it looks like he is willing to put in the work. I hope they can turn him into a long term solution on the right side.

Ram65

Legend
I thought he moved pretty good/well for as big as he is at 320 Lbs. Seems to be well spoken with a good head on his shoulders. Likes serious about football too. Will be fun to see how he does as a Ram!

FRO

Legend
I think coach Bou was heavily involved in drafting these linemen. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing though. We will see.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He'd better look at all these rookies...Or I bet HIS job is on the line in 2016..

FRO

Legend
He'd better look at all these rookies...Or I bet HIS job is on the line in 2016..
His job is definitely on the line. He hasn't developed anybody yet. He has gotten the most out of some scrubs, but he hasn't developed young guys. In all fairness though Robinson is his only guy picked within the first three rounds before this year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His job is definitely on the line. He hasn't developed anybody yet. He has gotten the most out of some scrubs, but he hasn't developed young guys. In all fairness though Robinson is his only guy picked within the first three rounds before this year.

And of the other main draftees - one had a huge injury question mark when drafted, and the other ate himself off of two teams and into early retirement. He hasn't done great - but really hasn't been given anything to work with except injury prone vets. Don't know how much signing them was his decision, which matters of course.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Things could still change (cap casualties, etc.) to bring in some experience.

But, no matter what, Boudreau has his work cut out for him.

Not that he doesn't earn his paycheck already... but he'll really earn it this year (or be shown the door).

The Oline (and by extension the offense) is squarely on his shoulde to fix.

The best of luck, coach!

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I think coach Bou was heavily involved in drafting these linemen. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing though. We will see.

OL drafted by Boudreau in the top 3 rounds:
Willie Roaf - HOF
Jeff Hartings - All Pro
Todd Wade - 96 starts
Grey Ruegamer - Only 17 starts, but 9 years in the league
Khalif Barnes - 116 starts
Vince Manuwai - 105 starts
Mike Johnson - Only 1 start
Sam Baker - 61 starts, missed 28 games the last 2 seasons due to injury
Greg Robinson
Rob Havenstein
Jamon Brown

No idea if that's a good or bad strike rate

FRO

Legend
OL drafted by Boudreau in the top 3 rounds:
Willie Roaf - HOF
Jeff Hartings - All Pro
Todd Wade - 96 starts
Grey Ruegamer - Only 17 starts, but 9 years in the league
Khalif Barnes - 116 starts
Vince Manuwai - 105 starts
Mike Johnson - Only 1 start
Sam Baker - 61 starts, missed 28 games the last 2 seasons due to injury
Greg Robinson
Rob Havenstein
Jamon Brown

No idea if that's a good or bad strike rate
Not sure he drafted those guys though. I think he had a heavy hand in drafting this group though. I could be wrong. I also feel that Robinson would have been the Rams pick even if we had a different O-Line coach. In the 2011 draft we let McDaniels pick his guys in Kendricks and Pettis. I felt we picked those guys a round early, just like I feel we picked some guys in this draft. I could be dead wrong. We will see.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Havenstein thankful for opportunity with Rams
By Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/story/1547422-havenstein-thankful-for-opportunity-with-rams

Rob Havenstein wanted to play cards with his family during the second round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Then his phone started ringing and the house went silent.

The former Wisconsin right tackle, who spoke about his draft experience with KMOX 1120 AM’s Mike Kelly in an interview on Sunday morning, was “pleasantly surprised” when he got the call that the St. Louis Rams were picking him in the second round.

“Kind of what I heard, whether it was from my agent or just the buzz around, is I could go pretty much anywhere,” Havenstein told Kelly. “I wasn’t too worried about where I went. I was focused on getting my shot.

“I actually, right at the start of the second round, I just had my family down at my house and I wanted to play some cards, so we’re sitting there playing cards and I’m dealing them out and then all of a sudden my phone starts ringing. The whole house kind of went silent. I definitely wasn’t expecting to be called that early, but I’m so thankful for the opportunity that I have ahead of me.”

The opportunity ahead of Havenstein, the mountainous 6-foot-7, 321-pound offensive tackle, looks to be a big challenge — win the starting right tackle spot for a team that has overhauled its offensive line this offseason.

The Rams want to run the ball, but haven’t been able to establish that identity during Jeff Fisher’s first three seasons in St. Louis. They ranked 20th in the NFL in rushing yards per game (102.2) last season and ranked 19th in 2013 (109.5) and 2012 (107.1).

Having a healthy No. 1 quarterback and keeping him on the field should help, but there’s an obvious emphasis on the rushing attack after spending the No. 10 overall pick on Georgia running back Todd Gurley and then using four of the next six picks on offensive linemen — Havenstein in the second round, Jamon Brown in the third, Andrew Donnal in the fourth and Cody Wichmann in the sixth.

The new Rams took their first steps toward that goal during their recent rookie orientation session, which included two practices.

“I think it went very well,” Havenstein said. “Obviously we’re putting in a new system than what we’ve all done in college and it’s learning that and kind of making that a second-language type thing so when you’re out there playing you don’t need to worry about which way am I going, who do I got, what are we doing and all that good stuff and all the calls for it. You can just get back to playing football.”

The sooner, the better for the Rams’ rookie class.

Havenstein brings a strong resume with him to St. Louis with the success that the Badgers have had running the ball during his time in Madison, including blocking for Heisman Trophy finalists like Montee Ball and Melvin Gordon during his three years as the starter at right tackle.

“We’ve been very fortunate with the backs that came to Wisconsin,” Havenstein said.

Now, the big fella will be blocking for a diverse running back group that includes Gurley, Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham.

How soon the right tackle can get on the field and make an impact is, of course, still to be determined. But he’s this offseason working to contribute however he can.

“I’m just looking for any way I can help,” Havenstein said. “If that’s at guard, tackle, wide receiver…”

Kelly stopped him before he could finish that thought, with the radio host and the lineman exchanging laughs.

“It’s really anywhere I can help,” Havenstein continued. “I’m all for it.”

Big Game

Living The Dream
I really like this kid and i do believe that he will be our week 1 starting RT.