Patterson to Rams coach Fisher: 'Kick me the ball'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Cordarrelle Patterson's electrifying kickoff return ability caused some opponents to avoid kicking to him last season in an effort to minimize his impact.

Patterson, entering his second season with the Minnesota Vikings, is hoping the same doesn't happen this year. He even made a point of telling an opposing coach to kick to him during an impromptu offseason meeting.

At the ESPY awards, Patterson met St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher, who hosts Minnesota this weekend in the first regular-season game. Patterson made an early pitch to get the ball on kickoffs and he hopes he has a chance to open the season with a splash.

"I think about it all the time," Patterson said of taking the first kickoff of the season. "And I always think about when I met coach Fisher at the ESPYs. I told him, 'Just make sure you kick me the ball, man.' And I told him, 'Just be ready.' So I'm ready for that."

"Kick return, that's my game," Patterson said. "We're not going to not put me back there unless coaches feel like I don't need to be back there this drive. So any chance I'm going to get to be back there, I'm going to be back there."

Fisher isn't so sure he'll be kicking to Patterson.

"If you want to create problems for yourself, you give him a returnable ball," Fisher. "The more balls you can kick out of the end zone, the better off you are. We really liked him coming out. Pre-draft we did a private workout where we saw his ability in person."

Does Patterson think Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein, known for his strong leg, will give him a chance?

"I feel like they're going to try to kick it to me," Patterson said. "Their kicker, he's got a big leg, so I feel like he's going to try to kick it out of the end zone. If he don't, I'm going to try to bring it out."

Kalil practicing well ahead of matchup with Quinn: St. Louis defensive end Robert Quinn was second in the NFL with 19 sacks last season. Vikings left tackle Matt Kalil took a step back last season as he played through a knee injury.

The two should match-up plenty on Sunday and Zimmer believes Kalil is practicing well ahead of the game.

"I think he's had his two best days of practice this week," Zimmer said. "He's been very focused, he's been very in-tuned to what he has to get done. Yesterday was the best practice. He looked good to me today from the little bit I could tell. I thought he did well."

Griffen misses practice with illness: Defensive end Everson Griffen, signed to a five-year contract in the offseason to be a starting end for the first time, missed Minnesota's practice Thursday with an illness.

Coach Mike Zimmer said he expects Griffen will be fine for Sunday's game at St. Louis.

Zimmer said rookie linebacker Brandon Watts (knee) is likely out for Sunday's game after not practicing again Thursday. Linebacker Michael Mauti (foot) and fullback Zach Line (ankle) were held out of Thursday's practice.

Follow Brian Hall on Twitter

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/patterson-to-rams-coach-fisher-kick-me-the-ball-090414

jjab360

Legend
These guys sure come off like some smug assholes for a team that only won 5 games last year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tell ya what, Cordarrelle, Greg will kick it 9 yards deep in the end-zone. You can decide if you want to return it.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
xk.gif

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
They're a yappy bunch for people who didn't do much more than we did last year. Especially since they're talking about us being too yappy.

WOwolfOL

UDFA
Tell ya what, Cordarrelle, Greg will kick it 9 yards deup in the end-zone. You can decide if you want to return it.
He does take it out routinely from 9 deep and does quite well with it. In fact ran one back for a touchdown last year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What a stooge. That does it. You just pissed off Fish and Legatron. Fish will demand that Greg kick a very returnable kick to you now for sure and Greg will be keen to oblige. And then Brockers and Donald are going to lay down and dare AP to run by them. :rolleyes:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Well, it's no joke that he can take a kickoff back for 6 but it's gonna take more than special teams to win this one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He does take it out routinely from 9 deep and does quite well with it. In fact ran one back for a touchdown last year.

He can feel free to do it in this game. Our coverage units on special teams are excellent. I'd love to see Minnesota pin themselves inside their 20.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WTF is with this Minnesota team? Pretty soon we're gonna read a story about how Jasper Brinkley is gonna hold Stacy to -9 yards rushing.
How about you all shut it and do your talking on the field. You haven't heard a peep from Rams players about the destruction they plan to lay on you.

Because they're just gonna do it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Who knows? After watching that Green Bay defense, maybe the Vikes do have a shot at the playoffs. That defense just cannot tackle...

But when they step into the NFC West? And we're not recovering from Spags flu aka H4N4 now.

RamzFanz

Damnit
WTF is with this Minnesota team? Pretty soon we're gonna read a story about how Jasper Brinkley is gonna hold Stacy to -9 yards rushing.
How about you all shut it and do your talking on the field. You haven't heard a peep from Rams players about the destruction they plan to lay on you.

Because they're just gonna do it.

They have no idea what is coming.