Pats cut 2014 first rounder Dominique Easley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Pats cut 2014 first-round DT Dominique Easley
9606.jpg

Patriots waived DT Dominique Easley.

This comes as a shock. Even though Easley has ended each of his first two seasons on injured reserve, he's flashed big-time ability in his 22 games played since being the 29th pick in the 2014 draft. Coach Bill Belichick spent much of last summer talking up Easley. Knee problems ended his final season at Florida early and hampered him as a rookie. His 2015 season was cut short in December with a torn quad. There's potentially more to this story. Easley turns 24 later this month and should resurface quickly as long as there aren't any serious off-field issues that have yet to come to light.
Apr 13 - 3:43 PM

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dominique Easley - DL - Free Agent
CBS Sports Insider Jason La Canfora reports the Patriots decision to release DT Dominique Easley was off-field related.

It's not clear what Easley is dealing with off the field, but his release wasn't a "pure performance/football matter." There's rumors Easley's rehab from chronic knee issues also played a role in his release. Easley was highly effective when healthy last year, grading as a top-20 interior pass rusher across 275 snaps. The Patriots will lose $400K in dead money if he isn't claimed and signs with another team.

Source: Jason LaCanfora on Twitter
Apr 13 - 4:25 PM

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wonder what his deal is. Let's add another first rounder to our d line.

That's okay if the Patriots don't want him I'll pass they seem to do a pretty good job of evaluating personnel...Seems in this case the kid just has a chronic issue that will not allow him to see the field and if you can't get out of the tub, you can make the club!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Pats cut 2014 first-round DT Dominique Easley
9606.jpg

Patriots waived DT Dominique Easley.

This comes as a shock. Even though Easley has ended each of his first two seasons on injured reserve, he's flashed big-time ability in his 22 games played since being the 29th pick in the 2014 draft. Coach Bill Belichick spent much of last summer talking up Easley. Knee problems ended his final season at Florida early and hampered him as a rookie. His 2015 season was cut short in December with a torn quad. There's potentially more to this story. Easley turns 24 later this month and should resurface quickly as long as there aren't any serious off-field issues that have yet to come to light.
Apr 13 - 3:43 PM
I'd give the young man a look see, If I where the Rams!!;)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'd love to have him. Could be a beast when healthy. Wonder what the real issue is.
Apparently he is healthy right now too.

Last edited:

manmaderam

The one and only
Take him, good depth player and could replace the old Nick Fairley/ Kendell Langford role.

Low-risk,high reward

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Last time the Cheats cut someone this time of year, the guy shot someone. I doubt that's the case here, but keep an eye out for legal trouble.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Let the smoke clear on this guy and if nothing develops, bring him in for a physical. We could use interior depth.

Ram Man

Rookie
Something is definitely up with this guy. This doesn't happen except in a situation where there are off-field issues.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The New England Patriots released Dominique Easley on Wednesday, reportedly for reasons related to his unreliability and immaturity. This caught Easley’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, by surprise, especially since the Patriots spent a first-round draft pick on the defensive end in 2014. “I did not anticipate this. This came as a tremendous shock,” Rosenhaus said Wednesday on SiriusXM Radio, according to WEEI.com. “I really viewed him as an up-and-coming dynamo at the defensive line position. I enjoyed watching him play. I’m not aware of anything significant off the field that would be a factor.” Easley, whose senior season at Florida in 2013 was cut short because of a torn ACL, appeared in 22 games (starting three) over two seasons with the Patriots after being selected 29th overall in the 2014 NFL Draft. He finished both seasons with New England on injured reserve. Easley performed well, albeit in a limited role, when healthy, but off-the-field issues reportedly led to his release. Rosenhaus, who just started representing the 24-year-old earlier this week, insists there isn’t anything specific that should alarm other NFL teams. “The young man has been terrific when he’s played,” Rosenhaus said, per WEEI.com. “I think it’s just a combination of things that (the Patriots) weren’t comfortable with. I don’t think any of them are major. I really think Dom is going to be back on a team very soon. He’s a young man — he’s only played two years. He’s got a tremendous amount of talent.” Easley could go down as the biggest first-round draft bust of the Bill Belichick era. Thumbnail photo via Bruce Kluckhohn/USA TODAY Sports Images Have a question for Ricky Doyle? Send it to him via Twitter at @TheRickyDoyle.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2016/04/dominique-easleys-agent-patriots-release-came-as-tremendous-shock/

RamzFanz

Damnit
“Saw that coming,” Easley’s unnamed former teammate said. “Injuries and locker room cancer.”

Easley reportedly butted heads with the Patriots over how to rehab his injuries and Volin spoke to other league sources who advanced the narrative of Easley upsetting people off the field. One source called Easley “disrespectful and irresponsible” and he faces a lawsuit from a friend who says Easley’s dog attacked him while he was staying at Easley’s house. Per Volin, Easley is also bracing for a pair of other lawsuits.

The Patriots took a cap hit to get rid of Easley and will be on the hook for his entire salary if he doesn’t land another job, so there doesn’t appear to have been much hope in New England that things were going to get better. We’ll find out Thursday if another team is willing to make the opposite bet by claiming Easley off of waivers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-room-cancer-led-to-dominique-easley-release/

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/16/rams-titans-trade-nfl-draft-johnny-manziel-rosenhaus

I think I was surprised when another first-rounder from the 2014 NFL draft was waived by his original team. The Patriots cutting Dominique Easley seemed vexing, especially considering the timing. With New England operating with limited cap space—and a desire to extend several players, including Malcolm Butler, Jamie Collins and Dont’a Hightower—why waste $2.9 million in dead space just to make Easley go away?

However, Ben Volin of the Boston Globe illustrates a pattern of irresponsibility that clearly irked New England. According to Volin, Easley “routinely ignored requests to rehab his injuries with the Patriots’ trainers, and instead did it on his own.” The 25-year-old also had a love for aggressive dogs, landing him in some dicey situations. (For example, Easley could not participate in his 2014 rookie mini-camp because he sustained injuries when his pet pit bull bit him two weeks before the draft.)

After reading Volin’s piece, I think New England had been anticipating this move for some time. They shelled out good money for defensive tackle Terrance Knighton in free agency. I liked that move originally, but I like it even more now.