Patriots waive Garrett Gilbert/Claimed by Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/11/report-patriots-waive-garrett-gilbert/

Report: Patriots waive Garrett Gilbert
Posted by Josh Alper on June 11, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptizyjkwyjrkogm4n2m0mgu2otvindrmote2mjninwfh.jpeg
AP

It looks like tight end Tim Wright isn’t the only player saying goodbye to the Patriots.

Shalise Manza Young of the Boston Globe reports that the team is waiving quarterback Garrett Gilbert. Gilbert, a sixth-round pick of the Rams in 2014, signed with the Patriots last December and was third on the depth chart behind Tom Brady and Jimmy Garoppolo.

The move would leave the Patriots with just two quarterbacks on the roster, something that will have to change if Brady’s four-game suspension is upheld or reduced when NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell hears his upcoming appeal. They may have their eyes on former Packer, Seahawk, Bill and Raider Matt Flynn.

Dianna Marie Russini of ESPN reported Thursday that Flynn worked out for the Patriots on Wednesday. Flynn has experience as a starter in the NFL, something that Gilbert doesn’t bring to the team, and New England may prefer that given Garoppolo’s own limited exposure to NFL defenses.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tells me what New Englad thought of our pick... kicked to the curb.

Not that it's devastating or anything, but that was a wasted pick.

At the time, seemed to me that they just wanted to show fans that they tried something at drafting a QB...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Will be interesting to see if the Rams give him another look...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure either way. But camp arms are good to have, no? One thing's for sure... As his QB coach last year Cigs will have a quick answer for Fish on whether he's interested.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't understand.
Does this mean Fisher isn't stupid anymore, or Belichick is now stupid?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gilbert melted on the big stage, he did at Texas and he did every time that SMU faced an upper tier opponent.

MrMotes

Starter
I don't understand.
Does this mean Fisher isn't stupid anymore, or Belichick is now stupid?

Well Fisher used a draft pick on him.

But really neither. We drafted Gilbert for development but that plan went out of the window when Bradford got hurt. We needed QB's who could play if needed.

And that's exactly what's going on in NE. With Brady suspended, they need a 3 who can come in and play behind Garoppolo...

MrMotes

Starter

The Patriots are really smart with the backup QB position. Whether it's Matt Cassell, Ryan Mallett or now Garoppolo, they never pay more than a rookie contract and almost never use more than one roster position on backup QB.

Not everyone can get away with the way they do it but they use the least amount of resources and have gotten very solid results...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I thought he played well in that bowl game when Colt went down...

I didn't they lost that game because of their QB play, but I did not hold that against him because he was a freshman. IMO, he always melted on the big stage...Go and look at his bad games with SMU, it was always against somebody who was ranked.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Patriots are really smart with the backup QB position. Whether it's Matt Cassell, Ryan Mallett or now Garoppolo, they never pay more than a rookie contract and almost never use more than one roster position on backup QB.

Not everyone can get away with the way they do it but they use the least amount of resources and have gotten very solid results...
Let's see how smooth that position looks when Brady goes down or retires.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's see how smooth that position looks when Brady goes down or retires.

Yeah and I am convinced that most teams will end up keeping a 3rd string dev QB in the future. It is going to be necessary to counter the dev time required as ncaa keeps churning out unprepared QBs.

This is also why, if I were an owner, I'd suggest the league set up a one level minor league system. The players assoc would love it and teams could better respond to injuries not to mention put the NFL brand out there in different and smaller cities.