Patriots sideline can see giant TV

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
From a longer article called
Deflated footballs just latest corner Belichick's Pats accused of cutting

How ingrained is the culture? On one end of Gillette Stadium is a lighthouse, the stadium’s signature architectural feature. But if you sit behind the opposite end zone and look at the lighthouse, you will notice something else: An enormous television beyond the lighthouse, in the parking lot.

Officially, this allows people in the parking lot to watch TV. Is it a coincidence that you can see that TV from the Patriots’ sideline, but not from the opposing sideline, making it easier for the Patriots to watch replays and decide whether to throw the challenge flag?

Something needs to be done about these cheaters... if not disqualifying them from the AFC Championship, then something to the tune of banning Belichick for life and taking away all 7 draft picks from the Patriots for the next 5 years.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
IMG_51439326845690.jpeg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

How ingrained is the culture? On one end of Gillette Stadium is a lighthouse, the stadium’s signature architectural feature. But if you sit behind the opposite end zone and look at the lighthouse, you will notice something else: An enormous television beyond the lighthouse, in the parking lot.

Officially, this allows people in the parking lot to watch TV. Is it a coincidence that you can see that TV from the Patriots’ sideline, but not from the opposing sideline, making it easier for the Patriots to watch replays and decide whether to throw the challenge flag?

Something needs to be done about these cheaters... if not disqualifying them from the AFC Championship, then something to the tune of banning Belichick for life and taking away all 7 draft picks from the Patriots for the next 5 years.

4327190104_3c34432d1d.jpg

jjab360

Legend
I'm all for accusing the Patriots of cheating, but I think we can do better than that. A better view of a tv outside of the stadium in the parking lot? Seriously? Shouldn't there be plenty of screens inside the stadium anyway? Doesn't every team have a crew in the booth telling them whether to throw the challenge flag or not? This almost seems like a joke accusation to distract us from the real cheating, imo.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Um... how?

Or in other words, would you like to give an explanation and not just a pithy picture?

That was no pithy picture, that was one damn fine picture.

The screen in the lot is way further away and probably lower resolution too.

Straw grasping.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was no pithy picture, that was one damn fine picture.

The screen in the lot is way further away and probably lower resolution too.

Straw grasping.
It's still something the Patriots sideline can see and opponents can't... not sure why you assume it's "probably" lower resolution either.

Not straw grasping at all. All these little cheats add up to a huge advantage.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's still something the Patriots sideline can see and opponents can't... not sure why you assume it's "probably" lower resolution either.

Not straw grasping at all. All these little cheats add up to a huge advantage.

Ignore the next few windmills you see......they are not enemies.

A screen in the parking lot isn't an edge, it's a screen in a parking lot.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Ignore the next few windmills you see......they are not enemies.

A screen in the parking lot isn't an edge, it's a screen in a parking lot.
If you've got a nice big view of what's going on your opponent doesn't have (and thus more evidence on whether or not to throw a challenge flag that your opponent doesn't have), it's an edge. This is so obvious, I'm surprised you're arguing it.

You seem so stuck on this idea that everything is fair that you're grasping at straws for ways to discredit those who disagree with you.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If I'm not mistaken, both teams have their own guys upstairs who review what people see on tv and thus can communicate down to the coaches whether or not it's worth a challenge.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If you've got a nice big view of what's going on your opponent doesn't have (and thus more evidence on whether or not to throw a challenge flag that your opponent doesn't have), it's an edge. This is so obvious, I'm surprised you're arguing it.

You seem so stuck on this idea that everything is fair that you're grasping at straws for ways to discredit those who disagree with you.
Are you ignoring the FACT the there are IN STADIUM REPLAY boards that both teams have equal access to? Or do you honestly believe that that should be discounted in this case because it doesn't fit your argument?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeahhh. I'm all for calling out the pats, but this just seems like piling on just for the sake of getting in on the fight.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Are you ignoring the FACT the there are IN STADIUM REPLAY boards that both teams have equal access to? Or do you honestly believe that that should be discounted in this case because it doesn't fit your argument?
Even with those, only people employed by the home team control what gets aired on them. But that's something that, as you said, happens in every stadium.

Not every stadium has a 2nd TV that only one side can see.

And can we please can the "Do you ignore it because it doesn't fit your argument" crap before it gets started? Of course I don't. And it implies dishonest motives to me when I haven't done anything to merit such.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Even with those, only people employed by the home team control what gets aired on them. But that's something that, as you said, happens in every stadium.

Not every stadium has a 2nd TV that only one side can see.

And can we please can the "Do you ignore it because it doesn't fit your argument" crap before it gets started? Of course I don't. And it implies dishonest motives to me when I haven't done anything to merit such.
What does this second TV provide that the guy specifically designed to do that for them doesn't, what edge does it give them? Its not cheating simply by virtue of being there.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
What does this second TV provide that the guy specifically designed to do that for them doesn't, what edge does it give them? Its not cheating simply by virtue of being there.
Now, I haven't seen it personally, but for it to be mentioned as something that the Patriots sideline could see and the other side can't, I would assume it's a very large TV. As such, it may give a better view, or a 2nd angle that the other team wouldn't have.

Given what we already know about the Patriots' willingness to cheat, is it really beyond the realm of possibility that this was the purpose here?

All this said, if the NFL was interested, there'd be an easy rules fix. Let the visiting team pick their sideline before the game. If everything was on the up and up, there'd be no affect.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Also, I wanted to say without it being in response to anyone in particular... why is this cheating issue something that people feel free to go personal about?

Everyone here has the right to find anything I or anyone else has to say ridiculous. Maybe they're not wrong. But isn't this board the best board out there because we DON'T make it personal against anyone? There are ways to address a "ridiculous" argument without having to make all or part of the response about ME. In this thread alone, we've seen the idea that I'm grasping at straws, I'm tilting at windmills, and that I'm intentionally disregarding parts of arguments that supposedly destroy my point. In other threads, there are very similar sentiments against others who believe there is cheating going on in the NFL. How is this about the argument at hand and not about ME (or someone else making similar points)?

I could go a similar route if I wanted to (posting pictures of people with their hands over their eyes immediately comes to mind), but what would that solve? At that point, we're basically down to arguing "U R STUPID!" "NO U!" for all the relevancy it has to anything. And of course, actual discussion has ceased to happen and there's even less chance than ever anyone on either side might stop and say "Huh. That's a good point. I might have to reconsider my thoughts on this."

If someone really is making a weak or ridiculous argument, it can be countered without making it about the poster.

Hey, does anyone want this empty box of Lever 2000 I was standing on?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know about all the other teams, but when I'd go watch anybody play the Dolphins (Rams, specifically), those giant screens didn't show anything that would help the visiting team to challenge a play. It used to annoy the hell outta me too, because I kept looking at it for a replay that never got shown. That was never the case for the home team either.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If someone really is making a weak or ridiculous argument, it can be countered without making it about the poster.
Agreed.

And it would help if you reminded people that the quotes in italics you posted are from Sports Illustrated, and not something you invented.
To that end, the issue is with what they said.