Patriots' best years are behind them

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You gotta love an article that talks dooms day for the Cheatriots;

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8998804/nfl-patriots-dynasty-decline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89988 ... ty-decline</a>

When the good times end in the very near future, New England Patriots fans will remember this week as a turning point. They will look at Tom Brady's decision to restructure his contract as the first indication that this team isn't as talented as it once was. They also will see that AFC Championship Game loss to Baltimore as additional evidence of an overrated franchise. Worst of all, they will see that their team's real dominance ended about five years ago. Everything since that point has been misleading.

The good news for Patriots Nation is that it probably has another season or two to savor the brilliance of Brady and the genius of coach Bill Belichick. After that, this whole operation will go south in a hurry. You could see the frustration in Brady's eyes as the Ravens whipped New England in the second half of that conference title game. This wasn't the team he was used to leading. It didn't even look as if it deserved to be within one game of another Super Bowl.

It was apparent in that moment that the Patriots had to improve their roster if they wanted to challenge for another championship. Brady seemed to acknowledge that when he reworked his contract into a more cap-friendly deal (even though he guaranteed himself a nice windfall over the lifetime of that extension). The surefire Hall of Fame quarterback realized he had to create opportunities for Belichick to add more playmakers to the roster. New England had gone far too long relying on Brady to carry an offense filled with largely marginal talent.

That, by the way, is the biggest flaw with the Patriots these days. Instead of sticking with the balanced approach that led to three Super Bowl wins between 2001 and 2004, New England has been all-in with Brady ever since the 2007 season. This team's chances have hinged on his greatness, and the overall results haven't been nearly as impressive as in the good old days. Sure, the Patriots' offense has been dazzling when at its best. But the team's inability to snare another Vince Lombardi Trophy has been just as noteworthy during that time.

The Patriots are still among the best in the league. But their flaws often go unnoticed until late in the postseason, as if we're still waiting for that dominant team of years ago to re-emerge. In truth, their more recent success has plenty to do with competing in a weak division. Baltimore and Denver already look like better teams than New England next season, and it wouldn't be surprising to see Houston give it more of a challenge.

The offense has a few troubling issues, most notably at wide receiver. The Patriots seem to have had a revolving door at that position the past couple of years. No true deep threats have emerged since Randy Moss left town in 2010, and slot receiver Wes Welker also isn't as clutch as he used to be (see: loss to New York Giants in Super Bowl XLVI). The most startling sight in this year's AFC title game was the way the Patriots labored on offense. Their biggest play in that contest came on a gimmick screen Welker turned into a 36-yard gain.

It's obvious how much Rob Gronkowski means to the offense, but he can't help if he can't play.
It was obvious in that loss how different the offense is without Pro Bowl tight end Rob Gronkowski. People like to talk about the tandem of him and fellow tight end Aaron Hernandez, but Gronk is the true star. The problem is that he's been injured late in the season twice, and his hard-partying lifestyle makes him a headline waiting to happen every offseason. Everybody in the New England organization must be holding his breath whenever Gronk gets anywhere near pulsating music, a strobe light and a well-stocked bar.

Finally, there's that defense. It used to be the one constant you'd associate with a Belichick-coached team. He was a master at shutting teams down, making the most of savvy veterans and giving his offense a chance to play to his strengths. Now the Patriots have the kind of weaknesses that are easy to cover up because they're often playing with the lead. The most pressing are the lack of a consistent pass rush and a secondary that improved only after the team traded for cornerback Aqib Talib, whose checkered past already makes the franchise leery of signing him to a long-term contract.

Maybe the cap room Brady's new deal opened up will help the Patriots ease some of those concerns. Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed has been rumored to be an attractive target in free agency, and it's likely that Belichick will make a run at him. But let's also be honest here -- that defense isn't one great player from being dominant. It was compromised the moment Talib left the AFC title game with a hamstring injury suffered in the first quarter.

Brady's restructuring also tells us something else important about the Patriots: This offseason is crucial to their future. They've whiffed on some notable acquisitions in recent years (especially Chad Johnson and Albert Haynesworth), and they can't afford to make those mistakes again. This team was masterful at adding productive veterans when it was starting its dynasty in 2001. Belichick needs to regain that magic touch if another Lombardi trophy is to be had anytime soon.

It's hard to see that happening. Sure, the Patriots will be good for at least 10-12 wins as long as Brady is around. But there are no great free-agent bargains to be had in the way New England nabbed Moss in 2007. The team's star quarterback is also turning 36 this August. Brady understands better than anybody that time is waning in his quest for a fourth Super Bowl ring.

At some point, all great players can see whether they're playing on a team that has the goods to win a championship or are merely on a respectable contender. It wasn't until this past year that the Patriots proved they're actually in the latter category these days. That's a tough place to be when you've been used to dominating for so long. Unfortunately for New England fans, it's hard to see anything more than that before Brady eventually calls it a career.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
New England had gone far too long relying on Brady to carry an offense filled with largely marginal talent.

WTF????

Marginal talent?

Franchise Tag caliber Welker...

ProBowl Gronkowski...

Brandon Lloyd...

A not too shabby Aaron Hernandez...

An offensive line that works.

If that's marginal talent, Bradford has been provided MINUS ZERO talent by comparison.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
CGI_Ram said:
New England had gone far too long relying on Brady to carry an offense filled with largely marginal talent.

WTF????

Marginal talent?

ProBowl Gronkowski...

Brandon Lloyd...

If that's marginal talent, Bradford has been provided MINUS ZERO talent by comparison.

Not to mention Randy Moss, Corey Dillion, Deion Branch back in the day.

jap

Legend
CGI_Ram said:

WTF????

Marginal talent?

ProBowl Gronkowski...

Brandon Lloyd...

Yes, the poor poverty-stricken Pats. Please pray for them. :roll:

Ram_of_Old

Remind me again how many Super Bowls they won after they were caught cheating?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ram_of_Old said:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Ram_of_Old said:
That "balance" the article talks about, when they were winning SBs, was more about stretching the rules about defensive holding. The longer it took opponents receivers to get through their routes because of said holding, the more coverage sacks they got. Once the Bellichik-designed coverage was deemed penalty-worthy, their defensive superiority collapsed.

When Mangina broke ranks and blew the whistle, that mystique was gone for good.

Think about that for a moment ... Bellichik was thought to be a defensive genius, but league-wide, the truth brought them back to the pack, despite Goodell's attempt to sweep it under the turf. The psychological game went from, "how do they keep beating us?" to "that's how they've been beating us!" Teams' stopped beating their brains in trying to outthink the hoodie and worked to beat just another opponent.

jap

Legend
Ram_of_Old said:

Saying that they were 'caught cheating' may be more than a bit of a misnomer. With all the security available just after 9/11, the NFL would have almost had! to be very much aware that a NE employee was illegally inside the Super Bowl stadium to record the Rams walk-through sessions.

If such is the case, the NE merely agreed to a 'slap on the wrist' to quell the angry mobs---especially the Saint Louis Mafiosa. :ww:

Ryback

UDFA
Name
Joe
bradycasket.jpg

moklerman

Warner-phile
That's what's ironic about all the labels. When the Patriots weren't relying on the "greatness" of Brady and their defense was getting away with cheating and Vinateri was inching them to victories they actually won 3 times.

But since they started relying on Brady's "greatness" they are very average in the playoffs and have lost two Super Bowls. Brady's career 86 passer rating in the playoffs doesn't really scream "greatness" to me either.

He gets 99.9999999999% of the credit for winning 3 Super Bowls and apparently none of the blame for the losses and it's often him that plays well below his regular season numbers during the post season.

…..

Legend
I dont really have anything of value to add to the thread. I only stepped in because I use every opportuntiy i can to verbalize the fact that I HATE Bill Billicheck.

/hate message

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ryback said:

Oh... you are going to fit in REALLY WELL around here!

:lmao:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Dog said:
I dont really have anything of value to add to the thread. I only stepped in because I use every opportuntiy i can to verbalize the fact that I HATE Bill Billicheck.

/hate message

:lmao:

Keep it up! I'm right there with you!