Patriots and Chiefs seek to speak to McDaniels

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 6, 2012, 10:04 AM EST
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/patriots-and-chiefs-seek-to-speak-to-mcdaniels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... mcdaniels/</a>

The Rams still have Josh McDaniels under contract. They want him available should the team’s next head coach want to keep McDaniels on as offensive coordinator.

If Jeff Fisher was hired, it’s hard to imagine McDaniels sticking around. And he’s already received interest from a few of his previous bosses.

Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Chiefs and Patriots have reached out to the Rams to seek permission to speak with McDaniels. It’s not known whether the Rams responded yet.

In the case of the Chiefs, the Rams wouldn’t really have a choice if Kansas City wanted to talk to McDaniels as a head coaching candidate. The Rams could prevent a lateral move to either place. The Patriots would presumably bring McDaniels back to be the team’s offensive coordinator with Bill O’Brien heading to Penn State.

McDaniels would have an interesting choice if he’s wanted in Kansas City and New England for coordinator jobs. Success would be easier to attain with the Patriots, but he may see a clearer path back to being a head coach in Kansas City.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 6, 2012, 10:04 AM EST
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/patriots-and-chiefs-seek-to-speak-to-mcdaniels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... mcdaniels/</a>

The Rams still have Josh McDaniels under contract. They want him available should the team’s next head coach want to keep McDaniels on as offensive coordinator.

If Jeff Fisher was hired, it’s hard to imagine McDaniels sticking around. And he’s already received interest from a few of his previous bosses.

Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Chiefs and Patriots have reached out to the Rams to seek permission to speak with McDaniels. It’s not known whether the Rams responded yet.

In the case of the Chiefs, the Rams wouldn’t really have a choice if Kansas City wanted to talk to McDaniels as a head coaching candidate. The Rams could prevent a lateral move to either place. The Patriots would presumably bring McDaniels back to be the team’s offensive coordinator with Bill O’Brien heading to Penn State.

McDaniels would have an interesting choice if he’s wanted in Kansas City and New England for coordinator jobs. Success would be easier to attain with the Patriots, but he may see a clearer path back to being a head coach in Kansas City.

Well I guess the Pats don't believe that McD forgot how to coach.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DR RAM said:

i guess it's easier to coach tom brady with that oline in front of him instead of a second year qb who didn't know the system with a shambles in front of him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
Nobody thought he forgot how to coach, or that he was stupid. I'd be hard pressed to find ANYONE who thought he was a bad hire at the time. The problem, as I see it, was that he had difficulty adjusting his offense to mitigating factors. It's not an enormous deal, but it did result in some bad football and a few injuries to quarterbacks. His offenses are good on paper. Really good. And when you have the horses to run that offense, it scores a lot of points. But has there ever been a time where he had to coach his way through a mess of this magnitude? Not that I can recall. Only goes to prove that you can't. Nobody has, or will.

He, along with Spagnuolo, got more blame than they should have during this mess, and as often as people like to discount the whole "injuries and lack of OTAs" thing, it was still a very real issue for the Rams. Especially when compounded during installation of a new scheme. But I digress. I've said enough about that to last 10 lifetimes. I truly believe that if they had at least the off-season, that things would have looked a little better coming out of the gates. And then from there, who knows? Could have been an entirely different season.

Anyway, New England is going to end up being the best "fit" for him, but ultimately his chances of landing a HC job are going to be better in K.C. And I assume that's his ultimate goal. He's done the coordinator thing - I'm sure he wants the reins again.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
Nobody thought he forgot how to coach, or that he was stupid. I'd be hard pressed to find ANYONE who thought he was a bad hire at the time. The problem, as I see it, was that he had difficulty adjusting his offense to mitigating factors. It's not an enormous deal, but it did result in some bad football and a few injuries to quarterbacks. His offenses are good on paper. Really good. And when you have the horses to run that offense, it scores a lot of points. But has there ever been a time where he had to coach his way through a mess of this magnitude? Not that I can recall. Only goes to prove that you can't. Nobody has, or will.

He, along with Spagnuolo, got more blame than they should have during this mess, and as often as people like to discount the whole "injuries and lack of OTAs" thing, it was still a very real issue for the Rams. Especially when compounded during installation of a new scheme. But I digress. I've said enough about that to last 10 lifetimes. I truly believe that if they had at least the off-season, that things would have looked a little better coming out of the gates. And then from there, who knows? Could have been an entirely different season.

Anyway, New England is going to end up being the best "fit" for him, but ultimately his chances of landing a HC job are going to be better in K.C. And I assume that's his ultimate goal. He's done the coordinator thing - I'm sure he wants the reins again.
He was dealt the crappiest hand that he ever had to deal with. You can't bluff your way to wins in the NFL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
He was dealt the crappiest hand that he ever had to deal with. You can't bluff your way to wins in the NFL.
Truer words have never been spoken.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
X said:
DR RAM said:
Truer words have never been spoken.

Agreed on all accounts. It clearly wasn't bullshit luck that this guy's offenses put up massive stats and victories consistently. Yes, Tom Brady and co had plenty to do with it, but he can also get it done with depth guys (just not with QB's playing with high ankle sprains, walk on QB's with no playbook knowledge, 3rd string O tackles, guys that can't catch a cold etc). He has a innovative approach and brings a high level of intelligence to what he does. It seems that people either love him or hate him but he knows what he's doing, big time. Talk about bringing a knife to a gunfight, he was dealt a horrible hand.