Patience, Rams fans: 'I'm going to bounce back,' Austin says/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Patience, Rams fans: 'I'm going to bounce back,' Austin says
By Nate Latsch

http://msn.foxsports.com/midwest/st...s-i-m-going-to-bounce-back-austin-says-061014

Tavon Austin doesn't hide his disappointment with a rookie season that ended prematurely.

The No. 8 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft had finally found his footing late last season and was beginning to establish himself as the playmaker the Rams needed when the speedy wide receiver suffered an ankle sprain that caused him to miss the final three games.

"I was a little disappointed, but things happen for a reason," Austin told FOXSportsMidwest.com on Tuesday following the team's OTA session. "Nobody wants to go in and get hurt, and unfortunately, that happened to me. But I'm going to bounce back."

The three games he missed were the first he's ever missed in his life, Austin said. He called it humbling as well as a learning experience.

The timing of the injury, after a slow start, well, that was just cruel.

Austin caught six passes in each of his first three games, but his breakout performance came Nov. 10 in Indianapolis, when he returned a punt 98 yards for a touchdown and then caught two passes for 138 yards and two more scores in a 38-8 win.

The next week he had a 65-yard touchdown run in a win against the Bears at the Edward Jones Dome.

But Austin would catch only five more passes in the following two games before being sidelined with the ankle injury.

"It's just all about how you come on," Austin said. "Some people come on late. Some take more time. That's what happened with me. It's all about patience. That's one thing I had. I knew eventually it was going to come my way. I had made a couple big plays in the beginning of the season, but they got called back. So it's all about just being patient and understanding."

Austin finished his rookie campaign with 40 catches -- which ranked second behind tight end Jared Cook's 51 on the team -- for 418 yards and four touchdowns. He added 151 rushing yards and a touchdown and that one punt return score for a total of six TDs.

Not a bad debut, but not what many expected after the Rams traded up in the draft to get him, making Austin the highest-drafted offensive skill-position player.

The 5-foot-8, 176-pounder ranked seventh among rookies in receptions in 2013, ninth in total touchdowns, 11th in receiving yards and 19th in yards per reception (10.5).

"We're not disappointed in what his production was last year at all," Rams coach Jeff Fisher told reporters in March at the owners meetings in Orlando. "One of the things that was misleading was he had two or three returns called back -- one against Dallas -- and then he got hurt. I think another year in the program, in the offense, OTAs, training camp, you'll see more production. I think we'll do a better job of using him now that we know what he's capable of doing. Kind of looking forward to see him improve from year one to year two.''

Fisher and general manager Les Snead gave the Rams' current wide receiver corps a vote of confidence during the seven rounds of the 2014 NFL Draft, opting not only to not take Clemson playmaker Sammy Watkins with the No. 2 overall pick, but choosing not to select any wide receivers during the three-day draft.

Though the Rams did sign former first-rounder Kenny Britt to a free-agent deal this offseason, as well as signing some undrafted free agents, it's clear that Fisher and Snead are willing to rely on their young and relatively unproven group of wideouts.

"It's all about just learning," Austin said. "There's obviously going to be a learning curve. We're a young corps ourselves. We just got here. The coaches and the players, we trust in each other. We definitely know what we have to do to get everything done and that's what we do."

How much better can this group of wide receivers be?

"Way much better," Austin said. "We understand each other more, we understand Sam (Bradford). We're definitely building a bond. We're just going to keep pushing from there and hopefully by the end of the season we are where we want to be."

Austin's improvement from his rookie to sophomore season figures to be one of the keys to how well this group of receivers performs this fall. A year older (now 23) and wiser, he says he has grown up some since last year, when he was a top draft pick coming out of West Virginia with eye-popping video game numbers.

"I just had time to grow mentally," Austin said. "It's not really about physically. I had time to grow mentally. I understand the playbook more, I understand everything. Last year I was just out there just playing. This year I understand more. That's what I'm working on."

He has goals in mind for his second season, but it involves wins more than receptions, touchdowns and postseason accolades. For a team fighting to break through and earn a playoff berth, that's good news coming from a youngster who will be key in achieving that.

"No. 1 is to win," Austin said. "I'm not too much into individual stats. If that happens, that happens. Everybody wants to make it to a Pro Bowl, have 1,200 yards, 10 touchdowns and all that, but for me, No. 1 is I just want to win. I know if I do that, everybody, not just me, everybody's stats will be up. To me it's just winning and having fun."

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It is really hard not to like this kid.

If he holds onto the ball and they line him up outside more like in the Colts game and he gets better discipline on ST his numbers will look real good in this offence.

Of course the faster he learns the offense the quicker his numbers look great.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
He is mentally tough--I think because of that, he will be a success...what that means with stats, I don't know. Because he can't block, he won't be on the field 20+ plays a game(?)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Last year's offense was a mess foot the most part. The only stability we found was when Stacy and Saffold emerged in the running game. I think most every player will be better.

Hope the guys coming off injury can return to form, there's several.

jap

Legend
He is mentally tough--I think because of that, he will be a success...what that means with stats, I don't know. Because he can't block, he won't be on the field 20+ plays a game(?)

Tavon blocks. He may not pancake anyone, but he gets in the way and interferes with defenders' paths to the ball. It's not as sexy as a pancake block, but it gets the job done. These types of interference blocks were the least I expected from Cookie last season.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tavon Austin: Rookie season 'pretty big adjustment'

By Marc Sessler

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...on-austin-rookie-season-pretty-big-adjustment

The St. Louis Rams raised eyebrows last month when not one of their 11 draft picks was used on a wide receiver.

Coming off a campaign that saw the team finish 29th in receiving yards and 26th in yards per catch, coach Jeff Fisher remains sold on the crop of young talent already assembled.

"I don't see it as a gamble at all," Fisher said, per Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

To be fair, it's not as if the Rams have ignored the position.

Along with using the No. 8 overall pick last year on Tavon Austin, St. Louis has attacked the draft of late to surround Sam Bradford with weapons in the form of second-round pick Brian Quick (2012), third-rounders Stedman Bailey (2013) and Austin Pettis (2011), and fourth-round draftee Chris Givens (2012). The Rams also dropped a hill of dough on pass-catching tight end Jared Cook in free agency last spring.

"We don't necessarily see that as a need position," said Fisher, while pointing to Austin's development toward the end of his rookie campaign.

After averaging five or fewer yards-per-reception in four of his first eight starts, Austin ripped off 18 yards per catch over his final four games of the year.

"It's all about getting comfortable," Austin said. "It was a pretty big adjustment for me at first. The playbook was different. The speed of the game was different. I eventually caught on and the game settled down."

As noted on a recent podcast, while the Rams deserve credit for gathering their share of young pass catchers, the team remains guilty of failing to set those players free.

Brian Schottenheimer's offense produced a mere 41 receptions of 20-plus yards last season after squeezing out just 43 with a healthy Bradford in 2012. Chip Kelly's Eagles, meanwhile, chalked up 80 of those plays in 2013 alone.

Using Austin more creatively would help. It's something we'll monitor closely this summer in St. Louis.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Tavon blocks. He may not pancake anyone, but he gets in the way and interferes with defenders' paths to the ball. It's not as sexy as a pancake block, but it gets the job done. These types of interference blocks were the least I expected from Cookie last season.
YOu are right....but bulk helps;)

RamzFanz

Damnit
"Way much better"

That's all I needed to hear. Anyone can strive for way better or much better.

BadCompany

Rookie
"We're not disappointed in what his production was last year at all," Rams coach Jeff Fisher told reporters in March at the owners meetings in Orlando. "One of the things that was misleading was he had two or three returns called back -- one against Dallas -- and then he got hurt. I think another year in the program, in the offense, OTAs, training camp, you'll see more production. I think we'll do a better job of using him now that we know what he's capable of doing. Kind of looking forward to see him improve from year one to year two.''

Like I Fisher I wasn't disappointed in his production at all, and don't get this "bounce back" talk. Bounce back from what? Six touchdowns as a rookie on an anemic offense, with an injury-riddled offensive line, and a backup quarterback for part of that time and not playing the full season? Not counting the disallowed TDs?? Heck, Austin very easily could have finished with 9 TDs in a partial season. As a rookie. That would have tied him for second most amongst rookies last year.

If anything I would be more worried about a sophomore slump.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
STs really hurt the overall perception of what he did last year. They really let him down.

The injury didn't help either.

That said, this year's Rams offense seems to look more run heavy.

Too many things are going to be different this year than last for me to guess how this year will turn out for him.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We have 2nd and 3rd year receivers. You would think someone would step up and be that go to guy. Tavon's more of a guy you draw up trick plays for than a go to guy. But Schot's not really the guy who figure that out.