Passive Aggressive People

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Who else hates them?

Story time. So, during my time getting science prereqs out of the way in order to change from my undergrad journalism degree into physical therapy, I was working part time in the writing center on days I had to be on campus for long hours because of the way my classes were.

So, evidently, you can get fired by word of fellow writing tutors when you don't hold their hand as if they're toddlers and engage them in meaningless small talk 24/7.

And apparently, when you don't do writing assignments for students like some tutors do, students get pissed and can also get you fired. Not getting paid nearly enough for that shit.

And apparently you can take your job too seriously because making jokes and making students smile means more than helping them with their extremely poor writing skills and making sure what they put on the page makes sense.

And all that culminates in apparently your supervisor taking the word of them before even talking to you on what you could fix....

Before firing you by email. All based on his observations of you for a grand total of maybe 30 minutes.

Nice right? Passive aggressive dicks right up the line.

Not that I expect much from a community college. Everyone hates each other and themselves there, probably because of the universal shitty pay.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Get a civil servant job. Hard to fire anyone once they're past their probation. Even during probation is tough. One problem with that kind of job though, if you take pride in your work ethic, care about doing your job well, it can be very frustrating with all the red tape that goes with it. Producing good work is not the highest priority. But if you could care less about the work, have no work ethic and pride in your work, Don't care how well you do, its a great job to have.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can see that. All I need tho is part time work until I get into grad school. Reason being is that once you're in a DPT program, you aren't really allowed a job because of class work and clinicals.

That job was convenient solely for the reason I could put a few hours in between classes.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Get a union job, you can get caught stealing and the union will still get your job back. Of course if you have any work ethic at all you end up being the 1 union employee that actually works while the others dick around and take advantage of the fact you cannot get fired from a union job.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
OK - let's not turn this into a public employee/union bashing thread. Those only turn ugly and political.

Athos

Legend
OK - let's not turn this into a public employee/union bashing thread. Those only turn ugly and political.

Yes please lol.

This is about the passive aggressive menaces of society!

:whistle:

Athos

Legend
I'd have to read up some but I don't think they can fire you that way.

Mm. Gimme the low down so I can smack these fools down a rung. Doubt I'd wanna return, but I'd like to stick it to em.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That seems strange, why would tutors write papers for students in the first place? I get for student athletes they try to push that, but regular people?

Seems strange, but I guess it all depends on the interaction.. I make sure my students get down and work, but I'm friendly and approachable, its a balance. Sometimes there's people who have tried to bribe me one way or another though, which is a big nogo.

Athos

Legend
That seems strange, why would tutors write papers for students in the first place? I get for student athletes they try to push that, but regular people?

Seems strange, but I guess it all depends on the interaction.. I make sure my students get down and work, but I'm friendly and approachable, its a balance. Sometimes there's people who have tried to bribe me one way or another though, which is a big nogo.

Right? But I've seen other tutors, mainly these little old ladies, sit down at the computer and basically start typing for students. Get out of here without unless you have a legit disability where you need that kind of help. We're there for help with grammar, formatting, and spelling. But I've seen and heard them telling what people to write.

This aren't the students ideas. They're the fucking tutors ideas. That defeats the purpose.

We can help them understand the content and question, but that's it.

And then you have students who complain when you don't bow down to them, hence students also helping to get me fired because I'm all about their writing. Ain't got time to joke when their writing is as bad as it is.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Right? But I've seen other tutors, mainly these little old ladies, sit down at the computer and basically start typing for students. Get out of here without unless you have a legit disability where you need that kind of help. We're there for help with grammar, formatting, and spelling. But I've seen and heard them telling what people to write.

This aren't the students ideas. They're the freaking tutors ideas. That defeats the purpose.

We can help them understand the content and question, but that's it.

And then you have students who complain when you don't bow down to them, hence students also helping to get me fired because I'm all about their writing. Ain't got time to joke when their writing is as bad as it is.

Yeah I get that, sometimes it's hard to fathom how these people function or even how they got into school. I get the feeling their parents helped them and they want the same treatment.

I once asked a student if she knew different types of Jovian planets.. When she didn't know what Jovian meant I tried to do an exercise to help her out and asked "well think about it, what planet in our system sounds sort of like Jovian, what type of planet is that?"

She replied "Bon Jovi has a planet?"

Later on she was offering sex for a passing grade because she didn't know what to do. I suggested studying... My professor said I should have told her to open her books not her legs.

Athos

Legend
Later on she was offering sex for a passing grade because she didn't know what to do. I suggested studying... My professor said I should have told her to open her books not her legs.

Yikes. How low does your self esteem travel to trade sex for that?

My main issue has been with minorities which is weird because my best friends in life have always been from ethnic minorities.

But they just demand a shit load. I had one girl I thought was working on her own as she was down at the computer. Never said a thing. Then she gets up in a hissy bitch fest because no one came to help her....

She never even asked. We have so many folks who come to just use a computer it work on papers before help.

Bitches about not having a privat tutor. Aka, someone to convince to do her work for her.

And then a lot more asking me what they should write. Again, that's not how it works.

I give you hints. I'm not here to do half the work for you. And again, it's mostly the minorities asking for help.

The ditsy blondes that come in just ask for help, usually just ask for spelling and grammar and that's it.

What gets me is my supervisor says students have asked not to work with me. Had one just the other day ASK to work with. And a bunch more thank me for helping them understand tricks for answering questions.

Supervisor, an English prof, must be one of those types. And apparently you need to be a life coach for these kids as well, instead of helping them learn how to write well.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Mm. Gimme the low down so I can smack these fools down a rung. Doubt I'd wanna return, but I'd like to stick it to em.
You are protected somewhat. They have to document why they dismissed you. But if you didn't do something to violate their rights as a student, I'd think they'd have to warn you or have you sign something saying a complaint warrants dismissal. I'd have to read up and Federal regulations are a pain to get through but if I have time and patience I'll get back to you. Higher education is my field of work.

Athos

Legend
You are protected somewhat. They have to document why they dismissed you. But if you didn't do something to violate their rights as a student, I'd think they'd have to warn you or have you sign something saying a complaint warrants dismissal. I'd have to read up and Federal regulations are a pain to get through but if I have time and patience I'll get back to you. Higher education is my field of work.

Thanks man. And nope. No warning. No statement or meeting on concerns or the bugs I could improve upon, just basic straight up termination from my current position, which I don't think he has the power to do because the lady he contacted is in charge of hiring and payroll. Not him.

So double BS on his end. Especially not being notified of students having issues with what I'm doing in charge to make changes. I mean shit, I've been there several weeks and worked well with several students.

Debacled

Starter
I can see that. All I need tho is part time work until I get into grad school. Reason being is that once you're in a DPT program, you aren't really allowed a job because of class work and clinicals.

That job was convenient solely for the reason I could put a few hours in between classes.

Which DPT programs you looking at? (And you'll be able to work, it will just be hell on earth). My best advice would be to smash your grades now and look for a GA position.

Sorry sidetracked easily, fellow DPT prospect here. Have my masters in exercise physiology and I like the idea of people calling me doctor better than master;)

Athos

Legend
Which DPT programs you looking at? (And you'll be able to work, it will just be hell on earth). My best advice would be to smash your grades now and look for a GA position.

Sorry sidetracked easily, fellow DPT prospect here. Have my masters in exercise physiology and I like the idea of people calling me doctor better than master;)

Hah. Yeah, I can imagine.

So far because the living arrangements would be cheaper with family, I'm looking at UC and Dayton.

Then some schools in Tennessee, North Carolina, and Wisconsin where I have family.

Athos

Legend

So far because the living arrangements would be cheaper with family, I'm looking at UC and Dayton.

Then some schools in Tennessee, North Carolina, and Wisconsin where I have family.

Athos

Legend