Passionate Rams fan? Step to front of line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... nt-of-line

Passionate responses from St. Louis Rams fans take priority around here for reasons obvious to those lurking in the comments sections.

If the past five seasons have squeezed life from some Rams fans, that is understandable. But there are still some survivors out there, and I'm betting k1joyce is one of them.

The earlier item about the Rams' total roster rebuild got k1joyce going. It was good to see.

"It is simply ignored that the Rams were 7-9 a year ago [2010 season]," he wrote. "I'd like to see any team weather the storm of injuries they had last year, but of course, that doesn't matter. They should win 6-8 games next year provided the draft gives them some decent players."

And this: "With Jeff Fisher at the helm, this team surprises Mike Sando and wins 6-8 games, provided 20 players don't end up on IR. ... You can't just go around looking at the record of the past five years and just continue to IGNORE that the Rams were 7-9 a year ago. While it is unlikely the Rams are over .500 this upcoming year, they are not as far away from being competitive as Sando would have you think."

A clarification seems appropriate here. I never said the Rams would be terrible. I said they were terrible last season and would have many new players this season, by design. They went into this offseason with 21 unrestricted free agents. They have not re-signed any of them. I'll be shocked if they re-sign more than one or two, if any.

Right there, we're talking about 40 percent of the final 2011 roster turning over. The team could welcome back seven or eight of the players finishing last season on injured reserve, helping continuity and supporting k1joyce's broader point.

But as I told k1joyce in the comments section of that previous item, the Rams being 7-9 in 2010 would mean more if they were bringing back a lot of the same players. Three-fourths of the starting defensive line will be new from 2010. Two-thirds of the starting linebackers will be new. The entire starting secondary could be new. At least three-fifths of the starting offensive line will be new. The receivers should be largely new.

"I just think, minus half the team on IR, they are better than what they were last year," k1joyce replied. "There is a solid core in place with Chris Long, James Lauranitis, Robert Quinn, Sam Bradford and Steven Jackson. Quintin Mikell and Darian Stewart will be the starters at safety. Cortland Finnegan is new, but Bradley Fletcher has played well when healthy, and Jerome Murphy could surprise some people at nickel."

There was more, including a note about Bradford playing well -- for a rookie, I would add -- with the receivers he had in 2010. But we should be able to settle this one without extending this discussion much further.

Again, I never said the Rams would be 2-14 again. I would simply say the evidence suggests they're in rebuild mode, starting with the fact that so many of their players from last season will not return -- by design.

The turnover since 2010 will be even more striking.

Seventy-six players played for the Rams at some point during the 2010 season. Twenty-three of them remain with the team, including restricted free agent Danny Amendola. Of the other 22, a handful project as potential starters: Bradford, Fletcher, Jackson, Laurinaitis, Long, Saffold, Stewart and Jason Smith. Mikell, referenced earlier, was not with the Rams until 2011.

I'll break down the turnover rates for rosters as the season approaches. The Rams are not finished.

Note: The 76 players from 2010 included all players with the Rams in some capacity, whether or not they played during regular-season games. That included some practice-squad players.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I see him mention 'rebuilding' a few times in this piece. I really don't think that's the case here though. Four years ago this was a rebuild. What Minnesota is doing right now is a rebuild. The guy referenced in here makes a good point, the core is here and has been for a couple of seasons now. Sure there is turnover at WR and CB and we'll see a couple fresh faces on the OL.
That's no different from what you see in Chicago, New England or Dallas and they're competitors every year. Those teams may have a bit more of a steady hand at QB, but Bradford can be that guy. We know he's a smart QB and a guy that is a film rat and all that jazz. With a full off season to learn the playbook and system, things can turn around quick.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Warner4Prez said:
I see him mention 'rebuilding' a few times in this piece. I really don't think that's the case here though. Four years ago this was a rebuild. What Minnesota is doing right now is a rebuild. The guy referenced in here makes a good point, the core is here and has been for a couple of seasons now. Sure there is turnover at WR and CB and we'll see a couple fresh faces on the OL.
That's no different from what you see in Chicago, New England or Dallas and they're competitors every year. Those teams may have a bit more of a steady hand at QB, but Bradford can be that guy. We know he's a smart QB and a guy that is a film rat and all that jazz. With a full off season to learn the playbook and system, things can turn around quick.

>>things can turn around quick<<

Indeed they can, as In Knox's first year (73). :crossed:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Warner4Prez said:

Id prefer to call it a youth movement :mrgreen: .

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
See, but the 2011 team had basically the same players of the 2010 team.

Who did they bring in? Needed some LBs so brought in Poppinga and Leber. Biggest need was RG so they brought in the 2nd best FA gaurd Harvey Dahl. The OL was expected to remain healthy w/ Saffold AND Smith. Needed a saftey w/ Atogwe gone, so Mikell as a solid replacement. Plus depth guys like Bannan, Harris, etc. And the draft did nothing but add young guys, who Kendricks shined in the preseason.

All these (and more) get hurt, and all of a sudden, they're bad...when just a month before the season they were the favorites to win the NFCW? I think that's what Sando is missing here.