Pass Blocking + Foles = Surprisingly Competent

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought I'd point out that despite our youth on the OL and Foles adjusting to a new system, we're tied for 7th in the NFL in fewest sacks allowed after the first quarter of the season with 6 and we're 9th according to footballoutsiders in their adjusted sack rate at 4.8%.

That's not too shabby. The Packers have one of the best pass rushes in the NFL this year so it'll be interesting to see how the OL holds up but it's crazy to think that our OL is this young and could end getting MUCH better.

Here's hoping the run blocking continues to function like it did in the 2nd half vs. Arizona.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
That and the fact that Foles hangs is a good thing. In a new offense for everybody, in the first 4 games. Against some good to great Ds.
I've tasted it. I'll take it. And I want more.

I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now!:rockon:

(Courtesy of Queen).

RamsFan14

Starter
Not to mention that Foles has a 125 QB rating with play action passing. We NEED to run the ball effectively in order to maximize Foles' potential!

RamzFanz

Damnit
I thought I'd point out that despite our youth on the OL and Foles adjusting to a new system, we're tied for 7th in the NFL in fewest sacks allowed after the first quarter of the season with 6 and we're 9th according to footballoutsiders in their adjusted sack rate at 4.8%.

That's not too shabby. The Packers have one of the best pass rushes in the NFL this year so it'll be interesting to see how the OL holds up but it's crazy to think that our OL is this young and could end getting MUCH better.

Here's hoping the run blocking continues to function like it did in the 2nd half vs. Arizona.

Hold your horses Cowboy. They have played a lot of weak O lines too! Bears? Seattle? Niners?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Not to mention that Foles has a 125 QB rating with play action passing. We NEED to run the ball effectively in order to maximize Foles' potential!
This. That's another exciting dymension that Gurley could bring. If Gurley starts going off, look out for PA. The defense is going to have to play run.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hold your horses Cowboy. They have played a lot of weak O lines too! Bears? Seattle? Niners?

That's true. But they're still #2 in the NFL in sacks. Tied with us.(but we've played better OLs)

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
No surprise, call it an excuse if you want, but simple fact is the Rams biggest issue the last 3years under Fisher has been the QB position and a bad OL.

In fact I think if Snisher could have a do over, I think instead of going skill position in that 1st draft, taking Pead, Quick, and Givens, they should have went OL with two of those picks instead of waiting until round 5 and taking Watkins.

That has been my biggest criticism of Snisher. They just ignored building anything that could be long-lasting on that line. Too many stop gap guys that just prolonged the problem.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No surprise, call it an excuse if you want, but simple fact is the Rams biggest issue the last 3years under Fisher has been the QB position and a bad OL.

In fact I think if Snisher could have a do over, I think instead of going skill position in that 1st draft, taking Pead, Quick, and Givens, they should have went OL with two of those picks instead of waiting until round 5 and taking Watkins.

That has been my biggest criticism of Snisher. They just ignored building anything that could be long-lasting on that line. Too many stop gap guys that just prolonged the problem.

I think they decided at the beginning that they'd try to fix the OLs with veterans and fill out the rest of the roster with young players and then come back to the OL. Unfortunately, the veteran route just didn't work well.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

They missed an opportunity. They gambled on Bradford and then on the line they gambled on UFAs, UDFAs, lower round picks and players that other teams gave up on. That wouldn't have looked so bad if at least some of the UFAs had worked out.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd still like to know what happened at half time to make the O-line play so much better with run blocking in the 2nd half. That couldn't have just been a pep talk. It was like watching two different O-lines between the first and second half with regards to the run blocking.

maximus

Rookie
I think they decided at the beginning that they'd try to fix the OLs with veterans and fill out the rest of the roster with young players and then come back to the OL. Unfortunately, the veteran route just didn't work well.

It made sense to protect the QB with vets, rather than rookies. Decision was sound, it just did not work.

fearsomefour

Legend
It made sense to protect the QB with vets, rather than rookies. Decision was sound, it just did not work.
Exactly Maximus.
It is one thing to say they did nothing or did not try....which is just not true. They took calculated risks and they mostly did not work out. Go with a massive youth movement is another calculated risk.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
we're tied for 7th in the NFL in fewest sacks allowed after the first quarter of the season with 6 and we're 9th according to footballoutsiders in their adjusted sack rate at 4.8%.
I saw a stat jrry...I think it showed how Foles gets hit at very high %....

Not to mention that Foles has a 125 QB rating with play action passing.
I saw that too, play-action passing is what he did very well at Philly too.....If the run game continues to improve, he will get better & better...

That and the fact that Foles hangs is a good thing.
Takes a pounding....He's done this since college...I keep saying how I saw either USC or UCLA beat the crap outta him...coulda been both, and he just got up, and kept throwing...maybe 50-60 passes...and may have gotten hit over half the time...

My point being...he can't keep getting hit, Fisher said as much in his presser....leading to...

I'd still like to know what happened at half time to make the O-line play so much better with run blocking in the 2nd half.
the line started line-ing..seriously, It was a combo of course, but I just think it was a bunch of Todd Gurley, running behind a bunch of big strong guys that started to get IT...Calais Campbells body language (here we go again) showed it on Gurley's last run...head dropped...exhausted...beat down...pushed...watch that play...he had all these tackles (11), sack, pressures and stil Fish/Cig run right at his ass....he barely moves vs G-Rob & Brown....who'd blame em? I'd be tired too....and around the left end he goes...doesn't get touched for 20-30 yards...on a 3rd and 12......only down by 2....only guy still fired up was honey badger...lol

You'll see the same this Sunday...The noise may slow them down...Havenstein is from out there, he may even false start....But watch...We need a 10-12 play drive in the first quarter....I'd like to have it this game...but if not, meh....But the refrigerators with legs started moving bodies a lil bit...I thought we hadn't blocked too bad...since Washington....but against AZ they started looking pretty damn good. In Snisher, I still trust. Trust in Todd! edit: Almost forgot my point...and THat my friends, is why Foles play-action passing is much more deadly..LOLOLOL!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
That's exactly why I say it was a missed opportunity. They could easily have invested some higher round picks on the offensive line while the veterans protected the quarterback.

But things have a way of working out in the end. This was a great year to build the line through the draft and it obviously takes better advantage of rookie contracts. It's almost as if they were afraid to protect Bradford with such a young line.

Also, I really believe that Shottenheimer wanted to go in a different direction. I'm just glad they've finally decided to pick a direction and move forward with it cohesively.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Part of our O-Line success may come from the fact they practice against a GREAT D every week!!(y):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That's true. But they're still #2 in the NFL in sacks. Tied with us.(but we've played better OLs)
It's hard for me to believe the Bronco's are #1 in sacks so far, with I more than the Packers and the Rams, they have 18!
If these 3 teams keep this pace up, the All-Time NFL Sack Record will be in play at the end of the season!!:D

GO RAMS!!
addon.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah it's interesting how a season can completely turn expectations on their heads. I fully expected a potent running game with scary pass blocking. But I figured if Foles survived the first quarter of the season they'd improve as they went along and how quickly that happened would determine their chances of a good record.

So what do they do? Pass block surprisingly well but struggle in the run game. And while the sample size is small, the run game has started to show (it actually started vs Pittsburgh). Their problem right now is penetration, all it takes is one whiff and a play can be blown up. But we're seeing some plays now where they're eliminating that and the power of this group is starting to show.

Lastly I agree that Foles is part of that equation. He puts trust in the line and in his receivers and backs it up on the field by taking the deep drop and/or putting it up there for guys to win simply based on the matchup vice being wide the F open like Bradford seemed to want. He spreads confidence to the guys in the huddle and we're at the beginning stages of seeing the impact of it. I honestly cannot say enough good things about Foles at this point other than he is a significant upgrade at the QB position for this offense.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
"SHOCK THE WORLD" Everyone Aboard NOW! NO INJURIES!!! AO COMING BACK.......SCREW NEXT YEAR!

Lets continue to Grow and Gel and Adjust on the Healthy Fly. Can't Hang then Don't Hold Us Back Either with your Doubts. NO GAME IS A GIMME !!!

Penguin.

Rookie
Well, we don't have many sacks because we really don't run many offensive plays too. That might be a contributing factor.