Panthers trying to trade Steve Smith

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers are "attempting to trade" Steve Smith.
In other words, Smith will likely be cut if a trade partner can't be found. Considering that Smith turns 35 in May and is due $7 million in 2014, the Panthers aren't going to find a taker. In theory, it's surprising that it would come to this with one of the greatest players in Panthers history, but Smith appeared to have lost multiple steps last season. Excusing his rookie year and injury-ruined 2004, Smith's 745 yards were the second fewest of his career. With or without Smith, the Panthers have a desperate need at wideout.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Hell Lets offer a mid round pick and see if they bite. Would make a really interesting training camp with Smith and Jenkins going at it.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
haha Ol Stevie looks like he still has some fight left in him.... would be nice to sign him for a cheap contract and watch him run stupid Sherman into the ground...

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Pass please, we have enough "toughness" on our squad already. Let the young guys step up

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Pass please, we have enough "toughness" on our squad already. Let the young guys step up
you kidding me man? just as a mentor Steve Smith could put a fire in Quick and Givens that has been missing. Man the F up!

Alan

Legend
I'll pass too. I don't want him to take any touches away from any of our WRs. I want them all to get a lot of exposure so that we can make some big decisions about each of them next year. Is Pettis worth keeping and if so where does he rank among our WR corp and what is his role. Can Quick finally get it or should we give up on him. Can Givens become more than a 1 trick pony because that's not worth keeping in my mind. Can Bailey continue to show and build on the improvement he showed last year.

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Steve Smith is washed up. A 35 year old WR is almost a guaranteed injury-prone underachiever.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
If we're going old WR to be a leader for our young core, I'll take Bruce, even if he's over 40. That guy was a true leader of the WR and was a big reason for the development of Holt. It gave Torre someone to emulate.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
you kidding me man? just as a mentor Steve Smith could put a fire in Quick and Givens that has been missing. Man the F up!
If we want a mentor, I'd be all for having the guy retire and become a coaching assistant for us.

I don't want him on the field though. Even though he'd be sure to be an improvement over our previous Steve Smith. ;)

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
If we want a mentor, I'd be all for having the guy retire and become a coaching assistant for us.

I don't want him on the field though. Even though he'd be sure to be an improvement over our previous Steve Smith. ;)
lmao

When i heard we picked up steve Smith i celebrated until i found out it was the Giants Steve Smith :jerkoff:

p.s. I'd rather have Ika or Torry Show them how to 'create' seperation... Although steve Smith schooled alot of DB's including Janoris last year! lol

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be at every rams offseason workout if we got smith. watching him and janoris go at it would be pure entertainment

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Baltimore is the first of multiple visits for Steve Smith
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 13, 2014

350x-572-e1351211489561.jpg
AP

Steve Smith will have options as he pursues the next step in his career, outside Carolina.

Smith, the veteran wide receiver who was released by the Panthers today, already has one visit set up: Baltimore, where Smith is traveling this evening and will meet with the Ravens tomorrow.

But Smith apparently does not expect to sign right away. Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer reports that Smith is planning to make other visits next week.

The 34-year-old Smith may not be quite the same player he once was, but he can still be a solid addition to some team’s offense. After Smith promised “blood and guts everywhere” when he plays against Carolina, the Panthers may be hoping that the team that signs Smith isn’t on their 2014 schedule.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Smith could set a good example in playing with an edge and confidence for the Rams receivers and his veteran knowledge would be able to teach the DBs some things.

I would offer him a short term deal. Maybe two years tops. His feistiness is contagious. But, I doubt he would play for a team like St Louis. He probably prefers a team closer to the Super Bowl.

Ram_of_Old

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers are "attempting to trade" Steve Smith.
In other words, Smith will likely be cut if a trade partner can't be found. Considering that Smith turns 35 in May and is due $7 million in 2014, the Panthers aren't going to find a taker. In theory, it's surprising that it would come to this with one of the greatest players in Panthers history, but Smith appeared to have lost multiple steps last season. Excusing his rookie year and injury-ruined 2004, Smith's 745 yards were the second fewest of his career. With or without Smith, the Panthers have a desperate need at wideout.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Hell Lets offer a mid round pick and see if they bite. Would make a really interesting training camp with Smith and Jenkins going at it.

Naw...its FA time. You might as well take a nap. The Rams have never made any significant FA moves.

Ram_of_Old

And if you suggest any, you are usually told we don't need old guys....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You mean because of all those great Panther receivers he has mentored over the years? Yeah. Nothing says mentor like Steve Immagonnapunchyouout Smith. Dude's a pinhead and he's always been a pinhead. Oh... I think he will always BE a pinhead. But at least he is a 35 year old pinhead.

BTW - Apparently he was released yesterday.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Naw...its FA time. You might as well take a nap. The Rams have never made any significant FA moves.
Mean like Long and Cook last year? I believe they were two of the most high profile FAs last year that we were interested in.