Palardy, Smelley Signed to Futures Contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I've never heard of a futures contract before, but it's offseason for us, and news is going to be at a trickle, so...

Palardy, Smelley Signed to Futures Contract
Posted 27 minutes ago

Myles Simmons Rams Insider @MylesASimmons

ArticlePalardySmelley.jpg

The Rams have added tight end Brad Smelley and punter Michael Palardy to their offseason roster with futures contracts.

Smelley spent the 2014 season on the Rams’ practice squad. The 6-foot-2 tight end out of Alabama began his second stint with the Rams when he was signed on Aug. 11, and was signed to the practice squad on Sept. 3, following St. Louis’ reduction to a 53-man roster.

Palardy was on the Raiders’ practice squad in 2014, following a successful college career at Tennessee. There, Palardy excelled as both a kicker and punter in his senior season, converting 14-of-17 field goal attempts and making 63 punts -- including 33 inside the 20, a mark that tied for the FBS lead.

With the futures contract, the two players are now a part of the Rams’ organization even though the 2015 league year does not officially begin until March.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just seems the Rams have added a good amount of insurance i.e Justice Cunningham, Alec Bayer & now Brad Smelley just in case TE Lance Kendricks does not come back.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I guess the Rams are off to a fast start on the New Season!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kicker and punter, that opens up a roster spot for another position, very smart.
I'd be outright shocked if Palardy replaced EITHER Zuerlein or Hekker, let alone both. But I suppose camp roster spots are important too.

Also, it may be just me, but in that pic, it seems like Palardy wants us to draw him like one of our French girls...

fancents86

Starter
I'd be outright shocked if Palardy replaced EITHER Zuerlein or Hekker, let alone both. But I suppose camp roster spots are important too.

Also, it may be just me, but in that pic, it seems like Palardy wants us to draw him like one of our French girls...
Hekker just signed a huge contract and is one of the best in the NFL...

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame

But they always have an extra punter and kicker in camp, this saves a spot. Neither of our guys is going anywhere.