Pair of Tigers Making Offensive Impact for Rams --Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Pair of Tigers Making Offensive Impact

By Myles Simmons Rams Insider

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Pair-of-Tigers-Making-Offensive-Impact/d4ab8cce-dcf9-4f86-bec4-98148ff356c1

They were college teammates -- two players integral to their offense’s success for a run to last season’s national championship game. Fast forward a year and they’re still teammates, but now they’re contributing at the professional level.

You probably know rookies Greg Robinson and Tre Mason played together at Auburn, with the big offensive lineman habitually opening up running lanes for the shifty running back. In 2013, coaches credited Robinson with 130 “knockdown” blocks, which comes out to average just over nine per game. And Mason led the SEC in rushing with 1,816 yards and 23 touchdowns, earning SEC Offensive Player of the Year.

But those accolades and distinctions didn’t mean either player could come to the NFL and contribute right away. Robinson and Mason both acknowledged this week that taking a step back to watch and learn aided their development.

“I tried my best not to get discouraged, and try my best to work hard every day,” Robinson said. “I learned a lot from Davin [Joseph] and a lot of guys that I was sitting back watching.”

“Honestly, Week 1, even though I wanted to play as bad as I wanted to, I really wasn’t ready,” he added. “I think this whole process was set up to be what it is now, and I think it has paid off.”

Mason echoed the same sentiment.

“I feel like patience is a virtue, and that’s kind of what it took when we came from high school to college, also,” he said. “It took a little time so we could get acclimated to certain things. But now we feel like we’re ready and we’re good to go.”

It certainly looked like both former Tigers were primed for the big stage of Monday Night Football against the 49ers. Robinson made his first career start at left guard, and head coach Jeff Fisher said he thought the rookie played well.

“He was physical and athletic,” Fisher said. “He was in the right place more times than we thought.”

The head coach also said that he saw production from Mason on all of his snaps against San Francisco. The running back caught a 12-yard pass and led the team with 40 yards on the ground. His 24-yard run is the longest for the Rams so far this season.

“He blocked on one and made a nice run after catch and split the two tacklers,” Fisher said. “Got what he could on a couple of the runs. The 24 yarder, it was great vision and acceleration. Think he might have caught them a little off guard.”

“I did what I could with the reps I had,” Mason said. “Hopefully, I’ll get more.”

While it was tough on both players to wait for their opportunities to play, they were able to lean on each other in order to stay encouraged and get better.

“That’s my boy,” Robinson said of Mason. “I like to see him do well, and I’m sure he would like to see me do well. I work hard for any one of my teammates, so it’s not just singling him out. But he did real well.

“I appreciate the hard work he’s put in, and not letting himself get down with not really playing much at the beginning of the year,” Robinson continued. “We talked a lot and I just told him to stick with me, and we’re going to continue working, and try our best to work our way into the game plan.”

And now that both players have accomplished that step, their history at Auburn aids them when they’re out on the field together.

“That’s my brother. I know what he’s capable of doing, and we know each other’s tendencies,” Mason said. “So now I’m working toward knowing the rest of the O-line’s tendencies so we can get this train rolling.”

As long as they keep working hard and performing on Sundays, that train will be chugging along just fine.

Alan

Legend
mr.stlouis noticing the problem:
Lol! Gaines and... heck I don't even know. Moe and Sam are gone.
Yeah, I thought I was having a brain fart and couldn't wait to find out who the other player was. Like everything else this year, things didn't go like I'd hoped. :( :LOL:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Ha ha, me too! But i had to re-read it, and realized he's talking about Auburn tigers! I guess I don't really pay attention to the actual moniker of college teams. Come to think of it, there's two bulldogs in the SEC, Georgia & Mississippi State, and three Tigers: Missouri, Auburn, & LSU.
I love what Tre said about learning the O-line's tendencies. Let's get this train out of the shed!!!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'd just like to take this opportunity to apologize for convincing Coach Fisher that you couldn't use players from Auburn for your first four games.

I never thought he'd buy it!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In 2013, coaches credited Robinson with 130 “knockdown” blocks, which comes out to average just over nine per game.
I'd like to see that kind of production from him the rest of the season!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought this was going to be about two Missouri players. :(
Me too..LOL, I was thinking how'd they sneak one on the roster....

Gotta love the humbleness shown by these 2....Liked what I saw....

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 liking the trend:
Gotta love the humbleness shown by these 2....Liked what I saw....
Seems like we have a lot of talent but when is it going to show up? I'm getting pretty tired of "potential".

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
A good OC would be utilizing Robinson/Mason and Bailey/Austin like they were utilized on college.