Pacton Lynch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have watched three Memphis Tiger games this year. They are fun to watch and they have an excellent QB in Paxton Lynch. He is accurate, throws with touch, and is a very good runner despite being 6' 7".

Against Tulsa he went 32/44 for 447 yards. 4 TDs 0 INTs

I would like to see what he does against a tougher defense but so far he is very impressive. I doubt the Rams draft a QB this year but I wish they would consider Lynch.

Dane Evans from Tulsa also had a great game 24/36 421 yards 4 TDs 1 int. This is the first time I have watched Tulsa and Evans looked very good.

Even better Tulsa receiver K.Garrett was incredible catching 14 passes for 286 yars with 4 TDs. His longest was 46 yards.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lynch is talented. Need to see more of him but looks like a player to me. Great size, above average arm, and good mobility. Need to watch more to determine pocket presence, accuracy, mental processing ability, etc.

I wasn't as impressed when I saw Garrett. Only watched one game thus (Oklahoma) which isn't enough to make an evaluation but he didn't seem athletic enough to me to be a difference-maker at the next level.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lynch is talented. Need to see more of him but looks like a player to me. Great size, above average arm, and good mobility. Need to watch more to determine pocket presence, accuracy, mental processing ability, etc.

I wasn't as impressed when I saw Garrett. Only watched one game thus (Oklahoma) which isn't enough to make an evaluation but he didn't seem athletic enough to me to be a difference-maker at the next level.

I think he goes through his reads very well. You can see him scan the field on most plays. He knows how to avoid the rush too and when to run......but he isn't a running QB per say.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty throw...
SoreClearcutDassie.gif

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He's the hot guy right now. Need to see more. So far, impressive.

I wish Cody Kessler was 2" taller. He fits our team, IMO.

Stel

Starter
Brandon Doughty of Western Kentucky held up pretty well this weekend against LSU. 37/61, 325 yards, 3 TD, 1 int playing from behind against a defense with multiple guys who will be playing on Sundays (including a CB and FS who will both go in the first three rounds).

Jacoby Brissett of NC State had his average game against Wake Forest. 20/34, 227 yards, 2 TD, 0 int; also 8 for 33 rushing.

Carson Wentz of ND State is out with a broken wrist, probably for the season. Too bad, too, because it likely means he won't play in one of the draft prospect bowl games.

All three have a chance to become NFL starters.

If we take a QB, my money is on Dak Prescott. Not because he is my favorite but because I think Fisher will love him (and there is a lot to like).
He was 25/35 348 yards, 3 TD, 1 int; also 13 for 117 yards and 3 TDs rushing, against Kentucky.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If we take a QB, my money is on Dak Prescott. Not because he is my favorite but because I think Fisher will love him (and there is a lot to like).
He was 25/35 348 yards, 3 TD, 1 int; also 13 for 117 yards and 3 TDs rushing, against Kentucky.

Coming from a girl who used to like Prescott as a prospect...he sucks. He's absolutely terrible. I love his wide receiver, Wilson, but not Prescott. Taking Prescott will make me more upset than Mannion did.

Stel

Starter
FYI - for what it is worth, cbssports.com upgraded their draft prospect rankings today. Lynch has jumped to #4 and is their top QB prospect.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I doubt the Rams draft a QB this year but I wish they would consider Lynch.
Hell, you been watching our games? The way the season is going, I'd think they'd TARGET a QB.....Lynch looks like he can play....Is he really 6'7???

http://draftbreakdown.com/nfl-draft-quick-hitter-paxton-lynch/

Even better Tulsa receiver K.Garrett was incredible
He was balling...Looks raw, but I liked Conley & the guy from Georgia....damn I'm bad with names...but I like raw with serious athleticism....Conley looks GOOD! not Cooper good, but good....I'm tired of guys saying our wr caught 4 passes for 40 yards and he had a good game....I'm sick of shit like that....

Carson Wentz of ND State is out with a broken wrist, probably for the season. Too bad, too, because it likely means he won't play in one of the draft prospect bowl games.
Makes it better to sneak him on our roster with a late round pick....he has a nice arm & touch...Looks to have more talent than Lynch, but plays against lesser competition....
http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=Carson+Wentz

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hell, you been watching our games? The way the season is going, I'd think they'd TARGET a QB.....Lynch looks like he can play....Is he really 6'7???

I am really liking Lynch but the days of getting a Joe Flacco at pick #18 are long gone. NFL teams are no longer fearful of smaller school players. I know Memphis is bigger than Delaware and faces better competition but in the current state of things Flacco and Rodgers don't last into the teens. They don't make it out of the top ten, even with development needed. Far worse QBs have been taken in recent years in the top ten.

I would like the Rams to take a QB if they see one they like enough, but I have this eerie feeling that Fisher wont see the need because he has his 'developmental' guy on the roster. Plus he hired two QB coaches to bring him along.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I will have to try to find a Miss State game. I have not seen Prescott play.

Don't watch Prescott. He's worthless as a quarterback. De'Runnya Wilson, his wide receiver (#1), is the guy to watch on offense.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I don't like Wentz's mechanics, and the injury scares me off as well.
The injury doesnt scare me really, but his mechanics were the first thing I noticed, they are just....odd? Its like a not compact enough side-arm bizarro motion.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...1st-qb-drafted-in-16?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

Memphis' Paxton Lynch is fast-becoming one of the most talked about quarterback prospects in college football. And if the junior applies for early eligibility to enter the 2016 draft after the season, NFL teams could be talking about Lynch before anyone else, according to Sports Illustrated.

College Football 24/7 Hot Topics:
In a feature detailing Lynch's rise from a lightly recruited Wing-T quarterback in high school to one of college football's best passers, a college coach told SI's Inside Read that five NFL scouts told him the 6-foot-7, 240-pound Lynch is likely to be the first quarterback selected next year. Another scout said Lynch projects as a mid-first-round pick.

Lynch, for his part, isn't concerning himself with where he'll be playing football next year. Not with Memphis at 7-0. The team is poised to win the American Athletic Conference, and it could play in a prestigious "New Year's Six" bowl game.

"It's crazy," Lynch said. "In the end, I'm just worried about winning each game each week. If I'm fortunate enough to have that opportunity when the season's over to get drafted, I'll sit down and talk with Coach (Justin) Fuente and my parents about that. But right now, I'm just doing what I got to do to help my team win ballgames."

Fuente, Memphis' head coach, said Lynch has more room to develop than Cincinnati Bengals quarterbackAndy Dalton did at the same stage of his career. Fuente was Dalton's position coach at TCU.

"[Paxton hasn't] topped out," Fuente said. "When I hadAndy Dalton as a junior, he was as big and strong and as good a player as he was going to be. Paxton's still a kid as a junior. He's got plenty left."

That's impressive, considering Lynch has thrown 17 touchdown passes to only one interception this season, and picked up a signature win with a 37-24 upset of Ole Miss two weeks ago. Averaging 338 passing yards per game, he joins Cal junior Jared Goff and Michigan State senior Connor Cook among the most highly regarded quarterbacks in the nation. NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein has also spoken to an NFL scout who had praise for Lynch's potential, while analyst Bucky Brooks recently wrote that Lynch's stock with scouts is on the rise.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My thoughts on Lynch (taken from another board):
Watched my four games of Lynch (minimum needed for me to make an evaluation) and I have to disagree with quite a few people I respect. I see a first round prospect. In fact, I see a guy that could challenge Goff for the #1 spot on my board. I need to see a few more games with certain situations and plays that Lynch is asked to make before I'll move him above Goff but wow, I see something completely different than a lot of you guys.

And since I'm disagreeing, I'll give you my thoughts:
Positives:
Outstanding composure in and out of the pocket - Never seems phased even when he has bodies around him. Just has that look that he's in complete control.

Impressive accuracy - I have to give Goff a slight edge here but it's not a huge edge and that's saying something because I think Goff's accuracy for a QB prospect is top tier. Lynch consistently hits the strike zone and his deep ball accuracy has been excellent in the games I watched especially on sideline throws.

Checks all the boxes physically - Size is an obvious check. Mobility is an obvious check.(I agree with Calvert's assessment of his speed) His arm strength is in the above average to good territory. No issues with that. Can make the throws he'll be asked to make at the next level.

Pocket presence and movement are solid - Lynch has no trouble feeling pressure and adjusting to it, he has no issues with his eye discipline, he is willing to step up in the pocket, he's willing to stand tall with bodies around him, deliver, and take a hit, and he's patient when he has time in the pocket. He doesn't have the same level of instincts and movement that Goff does in the pocket but not many guys do.

There are pro style elements in his offense - Don't get me wrong, he plays in a spread. However, there are pro style elements to his spread offense. He plays under center, he takes drops from under center, he has to play with his back to the defense when running play-action under center, he has progressions, he has reads, and Memphis runs a full route tree.

The nuances to his game are there - I'm sorry guys but I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say the nuances aren't there. When he misses, he typically misses in a spot where it'll be very tough for the defender to pick it off. He understands how to attack certain coverages and adjusts his game when he faces that coverage. For example, against USF's zone heavy scheme, he was using a lot of pump and shoulder fakes. Against man heavy schemes like Cincy's, he was throwing back-shoulder and throwing to well-covered WRs when he saw the DB's back was to him (giving his WR a chance to make a play while betting the DB would not be able to find the ball in time). There was one play where he scrambled against man coverage where his WR had stopped, Lynch told him to run up-field, the WR did which took the defender with him, and Lynch took off for a 12 or so yard gain to the area the WR had just vacated. That shows both football IQ and composure. His use of touch also changes based on the coverage. He shows off really excellent touch when attacking between levels against zone while he'll put more velocity on passes against man when he sees the DB's back is to him. Finally, that Tulsa pass I showed earlier is a great example of his accuracy, touch, and football IQ. Utilizes a shoulder-fake then drops the ball in where only his receiver can get it in the back of the end-zone. And he does this despite there being two defenders in that area because both defenders have their back to Lynch.

Mental processing speed is NFL caliber - I saw him go through 2-3 progressions on certain plays and he had no issues moving through them. There was a third down play where the HB ran a flat route with both WRs on that side of the field were running crossing routes (one ran a slant and the other ran a drag). Lynch first looked to the WRs and then hit the check-down (HB in the flat) in time to give the HB a chance to break a tackle and pick up the first down (the HB did). Lynch is aware of his check-down and will find him when necessary. He's not a guy that forces it down the field when he can hit a guy in the flats for a nice gain.

Negatives:
Holds the ball too low - This slows down his throwing motion and gives the look of a wind-up. His throwing motion itself isn't unnecessarily long and doesn't have a hitch. He just holds the ball too low. I think this is very fixable.

Footwork is sloppy and uncoordinated in his drops - His feet are all over the place when he's going through his drops and it can put him in a difficult position when he has to make a quick throw. However, aside from that, his lower body mechanics are sound. He's consistent when it comes to throwing with his base under him and balance. He steps into his throws when possible and his weight transfer looks good. He also steps toward the target and remains balanced through the throw.

Inconsistent accuracy when throwing on the run - Jshow is absolutely right about this. He doesn't do a good job of squaring his shoulders before he throws which makes his accuracy hit and miss while on the run.

He needs to be more deceptive with his eyes - Lynch needs to do a better job of using his eyes to move defenders and does lock onto receivers at times. He's not locking on so often that it's a huge problem but it's an area where he can improve and I'd like to see him use his eyes to move defenders more often. He's too reliant on his shoulder fake and pump fake right now to do that.

Overall:
From what I've seen of Lynch this year, I think he is a legitimate threat to Jared Goff to be the #1 QB taken. My opinion right now is that Goff is the more polished and nuanced passer but Lynch obviously has better physical tools and there are a couple areas of his game where I think he outshines Goff (aside from physical talent).

It's amazing how far he's come over his college career. I'd feel comfortable taking this kid in the top 10. There are a couple more things I need to see before I'm done with his evaluation (Ole Miss game [competition], a games where he faces more consistent pressure, and a game against a defense that really challenges and locks down his WRs) but right now, I'm fully behind him in terms of support.

I see the instincts, mental acuity, technical skill, and physical talent of a franchise QB. Personally, I think he's a better prospect than Tannehill was.(and I liked Tannehill...he doesn't blow Tannehill away but I think Lynch has better overall accuracy)

And FWIW, I think I counted three dropped INTs in the four games I watched. So jshow isn't wrong that he should have been picked more than he has...but I also don't think that's an unreasonable amount.

Also worth noting, I did notice some ball patting but when I tried to look for it further, it wasn't an every down sort of thing. But that's something I'm going to keep an eye on in future games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brandon Doughty of Western Kentucky held up pretty well this weekend against LSU. 37/61, 325 yards, 3 TD, 1 int playing from behind against a defense with multiple guys who will be playing on Sundays (including a CB and FS who will both go in the first three rounds).

Jacoby Brissett of NC State had his average game against Wake Forest. 20/34, 227 yards, 2 TD, 0 int; also 8 for 33 rushing.

All three have a chance to become NFL starters.

I'm seeing 6-8 weeks on Wentz. That should have him back for the FCS playoffs if his team makes it and should be plenty of time for him to make it back for the Senior Bowl or East-West Shrine game.

I don't see Brissett or Doughty being starters at the next level. JMO.

The injury doesnt scare me really, but his mechanics were the first thing I noticed, they are just....odd? Its like a not compact enough side-arm bizarro motion.

I have to disagree strongly. Wentz doesn't have a side-arm release. It's definitely over the top. On occasion, he'll drop it down to throw around defenders but he has a high release point and a compact, smooth release.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm seeing 6-8 weeks on Wentz. That should have him back for the FCS playoffs if his team makes it and should be plenty of time for him to make it back for the Senior Bowl or East-West Shrine game.

I don't see Brissett or Doughty being starters at the next level. JMO.

I have to disagree strongly. Wentz doesn't have a side-arm release. It's definitely over the top. On occasion, he'll drop it down to throw around defenders but he has a high release point and a compact, smooth release.

I haven't seen much tbh so will go and look more this weekend. Maybe was just the little bit I saw. Will see.