Oxnard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As much as I'd like to see the good old days of hitting about as hard as you want, I also understand that there are many ex-football players who live their latter years in terrible pain because players could hit as hard as they want.

It's a fine line between keeping the game violent and protecting the players so they don't regret having played it when they're in their 60's.

The rule was in place... McDonald launched himself at an unsuspecting player (which broke the rule).

In my view, it was a penalty. As I recall, it changed the game (I was there that sad day).

I may long for the good old days.. but things have changed and the players (and coaches) have to play within the current rules.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I believe you are right. In the pussified version of the nFL I guess you are supposed to just stand there and let them run into you like setting a pick in basketball??
it's what happens when you as a league face MILLIONS in settlement payments due to the concussion lawsuits.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
it's what happens when you as a league face MILLIONS in settlement payments due to the concussion lawsuits.
I guess I feel like they knew the risks when they took the contract to play football. Kind of like eating at fast food restaurants you know the garbage you are ingesting don't come back later complaining it made you fat.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I may long for the good old days.. but things have changed and the players (and coaches) have to play within the current rules.

What are the rules for that situation? ow does the blocker protect himself and make a legal block on that play?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What are the rules for that situation? ow does the blocker protect himself and make a legal block on that play?
He has to wait for the player being blocked to be facing him. And the crack back aspect comes into play. If the blocker is facing away from him own goal line. He cannot blindside the opponent. It's much like the "defenseless" receiver rule.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has to wait for the player being blocked to be facing him. And the crack back aspect comes into play. If the blocker is facing away from him own goal line. He cannot blindside the opponent. It's much like the "defenseless" receiver rule.
Yes, that's my understanding as well and I think it's a good rule, personally.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Right but I believe the rule was originally intended to prevent it from happening to players that weren't even involved in the play - ala Warner.

Sorry but if someone is set on tackling your guy and is angling that way, it is a stupid rule that says you can't whack him in the chest just because he's not paying attention to you.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I feel like they knew the risks when they took the contract to play football. Kind of like eating at fast food restaurants you know the garbage you are ingesting don't come back later complaining it made you fat.
Getting fat and becoming a pseudo-vegetable are two entirely different things.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So you can't block him? Can you set a pick? (best description I can think of) there has to be a way of legally blocking a guy trying to make a tackle. I get trying to protect guys but come on.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
dallasstlouisblock.gif
Oh that block is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The guy never even had a chance to catch Tavon. McDonald cost the Rams TD. Stupid play.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So you can't block him? Can you set a pick? (best description I can think of) there has to be a way of legally blocking a guy trying to make a tackle. I get trying to protect guys but come on.
He can be blocked. You just can't launch yourself into a defenseless player. The key to the interpretation of the rule... where is the block coming from? If the blocker is facing away from his own goal line then they make the assumption that the player being blocked is chasing the play and doesn't pose an immediate threat to the ball carrier. Hence. He is "protected".

In this particular play. If McDonald had his back to the sideline (meaning he came from a different angle) to make this block, it would have been legal.

I believe a similar penalty was called against Kendricks last year that negated a TD on a block near the sideline. It was marginal. But by the letter of the rule.... A correct call.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you are watching that play and can't see the penalty, there's nothing I can say that's going to change your mind.

Bottom line is: It was a penalty according to the rules (whether you or I agree with them) and the players and coaches get paid to understand the rules and follow them (unless there's some strategic reason not to - like holding when you are getting beat to protect your QB).

And, it hurt the team ... I remember how mad I was when I saw it on the Jerry Jumbotron.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Right but I believe the rule was originally intended to prevent it from happening to players that weren't even involved in the play - ala Warner.

Sorry but if someone is set on tackling your guy and is angling that way, it is a stupid rule that says you can't whack him in the chest just because he's not paying attention to you.

I'm with you there, that defender WAS part of the play and from that clip the nearest defender to TA, it makes sense to block him, its contract sport after all...

Lesson

Oh, really?
This is probably the single worst call I can remember - EVER! Said it at the time and say it now. I didn't even need to rewatch the play to get my blood boiling.

Nah. That doesn't even come close to this:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If you are watching that play and can't see the penalty, there's nothing I can say that's going to change your mind.

Bottom line is: It was a penalty according to the rules (whether you or I agree with them) and the players and coaches get paid to understand the rules and follow them (unless there's some strategic reason not to - like holding when you are getting beat to protect your QB).

And, it hurt the team ... I remember how mad I was when I saw it on the Jerry Jumbotron.
That certainly is not what I said. I'm asking just how does McDonald make a clean block in that instance.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That certainly is not what I said. I'm asking just how does McDonald make a clean block in that instance.
Sorry if I misinterpeted anything.

Well, for starters, he doesn't leave his feet and spearhead his attack. That's gonna get called every time.

RamzFanz

Damnit

One push to his chest and TA is a distant memory. I love big hits, but legal is legal and I can see that as being too unnecessarily violent myself.