Ownership

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Mcvay has shown such an ability to have ownership over things in games and practice. This guy is such an amazing mind and example to not only our players but also people in general.

He gets asked about a bad run play. He discuss said run play, the ins and outs, how this/that player could have done better, but that ultimately it falls on him. He (McVay) needs to put his players in better positions to execute.

Own that ship

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Hey! You sucked me into this thread under the premise that I was going to get your take on Stan.

But to your point. Coach MacV shows a maturity and an awareness of how to approach these players that is beyond his years. Never mind his great football mind.

I am sooo thankful the Whiners didn't steal him from under our nose. We did that to them. That will be clear by seasons end.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are set for a long time. Let the Dynasty begin. We were there, not that long ago, wondering what the hell the Rams were going to do when Fisher was fired. Well, it looks like we caught lightning in a bottle. Years later, we will recall watching it unfold, the big gamble on the kid coach, Martz & others wanting to puke, and then McVay pulling a winning franchise out of his hat.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Coach MacV shows a maturity and an awareness of how to approach these players that is beyond his years. Never mind his great football mind.
I have to think that his grand dad....being around the league....has something to do with Boy Wonder's charm....the dude is flawless in communicating with the media. I have NEVER seen or heard anything like him...

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
The one thing I hope to look forward to is

when McVay says their gonna fix something .................it gets fixed

I got so tired of watching Fisher's team make the same stupid mistakes , over and over and over and................

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I have to think that his grand dad....being around the league....has something to do with Boy Wonder's charm....the dude is flawless in communicating with the media. I have NEVER seen or heard anything like him...

Jon Gruden?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
His granddad was hired by Bill Walsh to be GM, and promptly paid him back by recommending drafting Joe Montana (who Walsh was interested in) based on a conversation with Jon Gruden's father who was an assistant coach at Notre Dame...
we stole both McVay and Goff from the Niners

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's clear to me that McVay is into the details... you read it from others he's worked with in the past and you can see and hear it from him.

I believe that there is no "one way" to be successful in the NFL... HCs have won being a "detail-guy"... others have won by building the staff and letting them go their own thing.

We all know the HC cannot win games by himself.

So many things have to fall into place:
* The talent has to be there (Snead)
* The schemes have to be there (McVay and staff)
* The execution has to be there (McVay and staff)
And, perhaps the biggest:
* The culture (accountability) and chemistry has to be there (this in McVay)

It's something Vermiel was able (with help) to mix together into a winning formula.

* I believe the talent is there (although I need to see more on offense)
* I need to see more of the scheming against opponents an "in game" (although week one was a fine start)
* I need to see more of crisp execution
* I need to see more of the chemistry

There are clear signs that the culture and chemistry has changed significantly... and game one built on that, so it's been "all good".

I want to see how they contend with a loss... maybe a close one... maybe even a blow out. Is the changed culture and chemistry strong enough to withstand adversity? I want to see how that goes.

I feel good about all of the above... just need to see more...

This week is a great chance to validate all of the above are in good working order... and they win.

Beat a premier team (maybe the Cowgirls?) and I think we'll know for sure that they have arrived.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well and good when you're winning, where there's hope and optimism. But the real test is not how you handle winning, it's how you handle losing, and for the Rams and McVay, that's uncharted waters. The real test of McVay and his players has yet to come. Failures, injuries, and a losing streak will bring out the true nature of this team. I've been a Ram fan too long to not know adversity is waiting.

RamsFan47

Rookie
Well and good when you're winning, where there's hope and optimism. But the real test is not how you handle winning, it's how you handle losing, and for the Rams and McVay, that's uncharted waters. The real test of McVay and his players has yet to come. Failures, injuries, and a losing streak will bring out the true nature of this team. I've been a Ram fan too long to not know adversity is waiting.
Rams Nation will definitely get too see how McVay and the rest of the team handle winning. They ran the Colts off the field week one, let's see how they respond to winning. Will they lay an egg against Washington? Come out flat? Mistakes and miscues galore? We will soon find out...
I think it's also important in how one handles the "adversity" of winning. Get better every day and execute with the lights on

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nice post Rmfnit. Fix what's not working. We all know the right side of the OL is a weakness of the team, and McVay and Kromer know it. Look at how many O linemen have been brought in for a look in the last two weeks. It's apparent to me they are not satisfied with what they have and are trying to upgrade. Lucas, Neary, Dielman. Havenstien is just too slow off the snap,so is Brown. Brown gets blown by, and is weak in the run game. Hav needs to be moved inside (that was Kromer's and McVay's plan but Brown sucked at RT). I expect a change on the rt side if those two's play doesn't improve. Lucas or Donnal at RT, Brown benched and Hav at RG.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I believe the talent is there (although I need to see more on offense)
See below
We all know the right side of the OL is a weakness of the team, and McVay and Kromer know it. Look at how many O linemen have been brought in for a look in the last two weeks. It's apparent to me they are not satisfied with what they have and are trying to upgrade. Lucas, Neary, Dielman. Havenstien is just too slow off the snap,so is Brown. Brown gets blown by, and is weak in the run game. Hav needs to be moved inside (that was Kromer's and McVay's plan but Brown sucked at RT). I expect a change on the rt side if those two's play doesn't improve. Lucas or Donnal at RT, Brown benched and Hav at RG.
I have to say, this is the one true concern we should all have...How does this O-Line play against a powerful front 7? Can we develop a running game to balance out the passing? We need to be able to run, when our opponents KNOW we have to run...3rd and 2...4th and 1. Against a stout front 7. That is the test to see if we're a real player in this season.

BTW, I like Lucas...and I like JJ Dielman a lil more....but they are cut list guys for a reason. Donnal needs to go on some roids or something

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Jon Gruden?
John McVay

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/McVaJo0.htm

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/163572086/john-mcvay-molded-the-san-francisco-49ers

TERENCE MOORE
MORE FROM TERENCE | RSS
February 3, 2016

SILENT ARCHITECT OF 49ERS DYNASTY

SAN FRANCISCO -- You've likely never heard of John McVay, but just wait, because you will, and then you'll ask the NFL gods for forgiveness.

Let's start with something I experienced this week after arriving in town for Super Bowl 50. There I was, taking my old drive north on US 101, with the distinctive hills to the left and the sparkling bay to the right, but as I looked toward a familiar spot near the edge of the water, something hit me like Ronnie Lott sprinting free on a safety blitz: The dynasty was gone.

The dynasty that McVay helped build.

Well, at least the part that featured the San Francisco 49ers inside of a windy place with a swampy floor.

Candlestick Park is now history. Five months ago, bulldozers finished demolishing the 54-year-old stadium, where Dwight Clark snatched Joe Montana's pass from the clouds for The Catch. Bill Walsh became an NFL genius along those soggy sidelines. Players such as Steve Young and Jerry Rice eventually joined Montana in Canton after they perfected the X's and O's of Walsh and those of his successor, George Seifert. They all combined with other players, coaches and executives of significance for the 49ers -- ranging from owner Eddie DeBartolo to Pro Bowlers Roger Craig and John Taylor to the gifted Charles Haley and Steve Wallace to super assistant coaches Bobb McKittrick and Bill McPherson -- for five Super Bowl victories in the most unique of ways.

While the Green Bay Packers of the 1960s and the Pittsburgh Steelers of the '70s continued their dynasties with virtually the same people, the 49ers of the '80s and the '90s did so with two different head coaches, two different quarterbacks and other huge changes in personnel. Just as impressive, those 49ers remained highly effective despite the NFL's transition to free agency and the debut of the salary cap, which made it more difficult for franchises to dominate as much as they once did.

The 49ers had McVay that entire time, though.

All of this comes to mind since the only other year northern California hosted a Super Bowl was January 1985 in nearby Palo Alto, where the 49ers grabbed world championship No. 2 after they smashed Don Marino and the Miami Dolphins, 38-16. I was there, concluding my five years covering that portion of the 49ers' dynasty for the San Francisco Examiner.

Walsh, DeBartolo, Montana. They deserve much of the praise for that 49ers' run, and so do the others I've mentioned.

John_McVaycropped_0taqozk4_r1id032t.jpg

John McVay addresses the crowd after being introduced into the San Francisco 49ers hall of fame in 2013. (Getty Images)

We're back to McVay, but don't tell anybody else what I'm about to say, because that terribly humble man prefers that outsiders don't know the truth: He was the glue that held the 49ers dynasty together. You wouldn't know it, because he was as invisible then as he is now. At 85, he lives in the shadows of Sacramento, where he's been since he retired from the 49ers after the 1999 season.

When McVay left, so did the NFL's most impressive dynasty.

Shhhhhhhh.

"I mean, I had my name in the paper enough in New York, so I was glad to get away from the spotlight," said McVay, laughing, referring to his only NFL head coaching job, which ended after a three-year stint with the New York Giants following the 1978 season.

They call it "The Miracle at the Meadowlands," but it was misery in the aftermath for McVay, since all his Giants had to do to clinch victory over the Philadelphia Eagles on Nov. 19, 1978 was take a knee. Instead, Giants quarterback Joe Pisarcik fumbled while trying to hand off to Larry Csonka. The next thing everybody knew, the Eagles' Herman Edwards was becoming famous (before his coaching and broadcasting career) by scooping up the ball and racing 26 yards for the game-winning touchdown.

McVay was fired. Turns out, when it came to football, that was the best thing to happen to McVay (and the 49ers). Walsh took over a dreadful 49ers franchise before the 1979 season, and his first big thing was to hire McVay as his general manager, even though McVay had spent most of his career coaching at the high school and college levels before the Giants.

Two decades and five Super Bowl rings later, McVay still was the 49ers general manager. He ran an efficient front office without public conflict, and he was a master at spotting hidden jewels in the NFL draft. The examples are numerous, but I'll give you the biggie: He was the catalyst behind the 49ers using a third-round pick on Montana, supposedly a weak-armed passer and only slightly athletic in the minds of his peers.

"We were coming down to the third round, and Bill says, 'Do we know anybody at Notre Dame?'" McVay said. "I said, 'Yeah, I know (former Notre Dame assistant coach) Jimmy Gruden (the father of ESPN announcer Jon and Washington Redskins coach Jay). He was on my staff when I was coaching at Dayton,' and Bill said, 'Give him a call.' So I called Gruden, and I said, 'What's the deal with Montana, because we're thinking about drafting him.' He said, 'Take him.'"

You know the rest. McVay eventually hired the older Gruden as a 49ers scout, and then he added, "Jon also did some work for us, and he used to come to work on his bicycle. He probably has a chauffeur now."

McVay laughed. Then he claimed the reason for the 49ers' ability to acquire key free agents with ease through the years (Deion Sanders), and work shrewd deals out of nowhere (Steve Young), and have a nearly flawless record in drafting (Montana, Lott, Rice) was because of folks not named McVay -- when much of those things began and ended with McVay.

"You know what? You got Eddie. Eddie is the guy," McVay said, still cringing over receiving even the slightest bit of credit for the 49ers success. "It was Eddie's team. He and his dad had the team, and when he hired Bill, he gave Bill all the latitude that he needed. I knew Bill, because when I was with the Giants, we brought Bill from Stanford (where he was the head coach before joining the 49ers) to give a clinic to our offensive coaches. I got to be friends with Bill, and I got to understand him, and I knew how he operated."

Earlier than that, McVay met DeBartolo. It was during McVay's stint as head coach at the University of Dayton from 1965 to 1972, when DeBartolo left Notre Dame as a student to take classes at the southwestern Ohio school in order to run his father's shopping mall business in the area at the same time.

Given that, here's what McVay didn't say back then, and what he won't say now: Since he knew Walsh and DeBartolo for such a long time, he didn't have a problem dealing with the huge egos of both men. In fact, their personalities were strong enough to sink your average franchise, but only if there wasn't the diplomatic McVay around to balance things behind the scenes.

"Well, I don't know, but you know what's really important? Who needs a bunch of (squabbling)?" McVay said. "What we were able to do, and Eddie did this. He loved and created and included everybody. He was very good to me. Every time I looked at my wrist, I got a Rolex watch, and you know where that came from? Yep, Eddie. You hear people talk about owners doing great things. Well, Eddie was the first owner to bring the whole staff to the Super Bowl, and I'm mean the groundskeeper, the secretary, everybody.

"So you talk about Eddie, Bill and the whole operation we had. We were all comfortable in our own skin."

Particularly the guy who'd still rather not discuss any of this.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Yeah. Granddad lives just a couple miles from my office. In the town the Niners used to hold their summer camp.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Curious @Fatbot

Why the different opinion? You don't think McVay is McVay cause of his Grandpa??? He talks just like a football executive....and knows the game inside and out. Bet his Madden game is tight too.

chkelly

UDFA
The one thing I hope to look forward to is

when McVay says their gonna fix something .................it gets fixed

I got so tired of watching Fisher's team make the same stupid mistakes , over and over and over and................
Keeping in mind this was during the preseason, but remember how many fumbles they had in that first game? Then we read about how much emphasis ball control was during the next week's practices. I don't recall how many fumbles they had the rest of the way but it sure wasn't many. I hope this is an indicator of things to come.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Curious @Fatbot

Why the different opinion? You don't think McVay is McVay cause of his Grandpa??? He talks just like a football executive....and knows the game inside and out. Bet his Madden game is tight too.
Sorry not disagreeing with you at all, I just think there's a lot of fake news in that article about grandpa McVay. It leaves out the seedy/cheating/organized crime/convicted felon side of the Whiners front office of that time that's never discussed in "polite circles" (i.e., the entire media/NFL).

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It leaves out the seedy/cheating/organized crime/convicted felon side of the Whiners front office of that time that's never discussed in "polite circles" (i.e., the entire media/NFL).
Hey, hey.....You think McVay was involved with that side of the fam. LOLOLOL...I wanna think he's just a football guy...it was Eddie D that hung with the gangsta's...LOLOL