Overtime Overhaul Idea

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other thread about Overtime prompted this thread.

Here is my idea of an overtime system. I am still working out the details, but I thought of the overall concept a few weeks ago. Would love to see it tested out in something like the XFL. All input is welcome (unless you are just being an ass. LOL)

One end of the field is Team A's Offense against Team B's Defense. The other end of the field is Team B's Offense against Team A's Defense.

Logistically you Could go several different ways. No Time limit, first team to score a TD Wins. Or you could alternate plays. You could have them start at the 25. You still need to get 10 Yards for a first down. if you don't get it you have to start back at the 25.

Logistically, you would have to figure out how to split up the Refs, which, admittedly, could be a disaster. And unfortunately, this would take FGs out of OT. Would also need to figure out what to do in the event of a Fumble or interception return.

Obviously not a perfect system, but would be VERY entertaining, and like I said, the idea is in it's infancy.

I personally like the no time limit, first TD wins, as it would force strategic thought by the coaches. But the alternating plays Idea would present a different strategic framework, with play calling becoming a bigger strategic piece as the overtime plays out.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I'd rather each team get a shot on offense on the opponents 25 yard line and match scores until one team gets ahead after the same number of possessions. I think the college game has this. So once a team gets a TD that isn't matched by the other team or a FG that isn't matched by the other team the game is over. Then neither team is cheated of an opportunity to win. (In the event of a defensive score the game would be over.) I like this better since both teams earned the right via the tie.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think they should play some kind of board game, like Sorry or maybe a card game like Skip-Bo.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
I'd rather each team get a shot on offense on the opponents 25 yard line and match scores until one team gets ahead after the same number of possessions. I think the college game has this. So once a team gets a TD that isn't matched by the other team or a FG that isn't matched by the other team the game is over. Then neither team is cheated of an opportunity to win. (In the event of a defensive score the game would be over.) I like this better since both teams earned the right via the tie.

How about alternating possessions starting at your own 40?
That way even getting to FG range is a thing.
2 possessions each, if still tied, it's a tie.
BC

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
How about alternating possessions starting at your own 40?
That way even getting to FG range is a thing.
2 possessions each, if still tied, it's a tie.
BC
I like that it does away with the clock and is fair to both teams. But I don't like the idea of a tie as a final outcome. If exhaustion and injury to players is a concern then after two possessions let the name FOOTBALL mean something by letting the kickers kick increasingly longer FGs until one misses. Like a hockey OT shootout.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Just do college overtime in regular season and current playoff OT rules for the playoffs.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
How is there a tactical advantage for the team getting the ball second? The teams have to score points, preferably TDs. Starting at the opponents 25 yard line almost assures at least a FG. The idea is to score a TD then force the other team to do the same or the game is over. Yes to keep the OT as brief as possible while still giving each team a fair shot take the kickoffs and punts out of the OT like they do in the college OT.